closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Atlas vs SKX007. Which one is a keeper?

Master

Atlas vs SKX007. Which one is a keeper?

I have this two watches that are pretty similar so both are cool :) Now, I was thinking about selling one but I cannot decide which one.
    What do you think?

I don't normally get involved in threads like this, but I'd keep the diver, the one on the left seems to be trying too hard.

I would choose the 007, if you are happy selling either and asking for advice then they are probably both not 'keepers'

I cant/wont sell my 007 so its an easy decision :)

I don't know mate, it's a tough choice, particularly the way you've presented them!

I don't know what else you have or what the necessity is for selling one of them but I think if I HAD to get rid of one it would be the marginally less interesting and probably much more common SKX007.

That said, the 007 is a genuine modern classic... and I sometimes struggle with the "5" branding.

Can't you keep them both?

Sorry, this post has been worse than useless.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I would choose the 007, if you are happy selling either and asking for advice then they are probably both not 'keepers'

I cant/wont sell my 007 so its an easy decision :)
    I want to keep both but I found a Marathon Gsar and I need some cash.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I don't know mate, it's a tough choice, particularly the way you've presented them!

I don't know what else you have or what the necessity is for selling one of them but I think if I HAD to get rid of one it would be the marginally less interesting and probably much more common SKX007.

That said, the 007 is a genuine modern classic... and I sometimes struggle with the "5" branding.

Can't you keep them both?

Sorry, this post has been worse than useless.
    This is one reason I was thinking about selling the 007. I can get one pretty easy, not that I couldn't do that with the Atlas too.
    I also have an Orange Monster. I don't wear it too much, if I think about it I didn't wear it in the last 6-8 months but I couldn't sell that one. I believe the Monster is mandatory for any watch enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by adirian View Post
    I want to keep both but I found a Marathon Gsar and I need some cash.
    In that case whatever is worth more against what you paid (which is likely to be the 007)

This is one reason I was thinking about selling the 007. I can get one pretty easy, not that I couldn't do that with the Atlas too.
    I also have an Orange Monster. I don't wear it too much, if I think about it I didn't wear it in the last 6-8 months but I couldn't sell that one. I believe the Monster is mandatory for any watch enthusiast.
    Which Monster do you have?

Master
    Which Monster do you have?
    The Orange one. The most ugly of them all :)

The Orange one. The most ugly of them all :)
    Mk1 or 2?

Master
    Mk1 or 2?
    Mk 1. I bought it a few years back when I made the transition from G-shock to autos.

Mk 1. I bought it a few years back when I made the transition from G-shock to autos.
    Keep it! But maybe I'm biased, I love my big ugly, garish lump of unnecessarily shiny steel.

Master
    I sold my atlas last year. Found it too tall and uncomfy. Still got my skx009.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    I've really gone off day/date Watches lately, but if I had to choose I would keep the SKX007

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

please ignore, brains having a day off
    Last edited by Montybaber; 12th March 2017 at 11:40.

Master
    The 5 on the dial kills the atlas for me- keep the 007 and the monster they are gaining in value

Master
    What's with this 5 non 5 dial thing. I have seen this before? Are the 5 Seikos less reliable?

Sell which ever one gets you more money more quickly. Although you can buy my Atlas if the regret kicks in so long as you don't mind it's been my main daily wear for a while.

What's with this 5 non 5 dial thing. I have seen this before? Are the 5 Seikos less reliable?
    Seiko 5 is a sort of sub-brand Seiko use for entry level/affordable watches with 5 qualities (some level of water resistance, automatic movement, I forget the rest) - they're perfectly reliable and use the same movements usually as other non-5 Seiko). To me the 5 just looks a bit odd on the dial.

- - - Updated - - -

Also - I'd keep the 007. A timeless classic design.

Journeyman
    Keep the 007- a classic piece.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Sell which ever one gets you more money more quickly. Although you can buy my Atlas if the regret kicks in so long as you don't mind it's been my main daily wear for a while.
    I have mine for some time too. The matte finish doesn't pickup marks easily.

http://www.seikowatches.com/5sports/seiko5story/

Stolen:

Seiko 5 refers to:

1. Diaflex (unbreakable mainspring)
    2. Diashock (Seiko's shock resistant design, equivalent to the Swiss "Incabloc" or "Kif," etc.)
    3. Automatic winding
    4. Date/date indication
    5. Water resistant

I wouldn't buy a 5 branded Seiko, but then it's just the branding and not the watch that puts me off.
    It's just a matter of time...

I feel the same about the "5". Keep the 007.

Craftsman
    SKX007 of course. It is real classic, a true Diver's watch.

The Atlas is not bad, but I never understood what is the use of the second internal rotating bezel.

Master
    Ok. So the Atlas is going to find another home but with all the SKX love should I bother advertising the Atlas here? I am thinking about asking 100 pounds for it. Is this a realistic price?

Seem to be over £200 new, so you can't be a million miles out up or down at that price - age, condition, completeness dependant.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Good choice. Keep the 007. But I do like the Atlas hands. Swap the hands and sell the Atlas with the 007 hands

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jason.humphrey.180 View Post
    Good choice. Keep the 007. But I do like the Atlas hands. Swap the hands and sell the Atlas with the 007 hands
    This is what I like about the Atlas too but I'm not that handy with watches so a swap is out of discussion although it would probably look nice

I like the SKX, but both look fantastic on those straps!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    I like the SKX, but both look fantastic on those straps!
    I used to wear the Atlas on a Nato but the leather strap makes the yellow hands stand out.

Keep the Seiko

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    Keep the Seiko
    :) This is the best advice yet and I might take it. I wanted a Marathon for a few years now but never tried one on. Maybe I should say pass on this one
    Last edited by adirian; 12th March 2017 at 20:39.

You know it makes sense

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    You know it makes sense
    Thus the thread.
    Should I buy the Marathon?
    It's a 2010 model. Will the tritium glow for the next 2-3 years?
    Or am I better with the Seikos?

Master
    Ok. So the Atlas is going to find another home but with all the SKX love should I bother advertising the Atlas here? I am thinking about asking 100 pounds for it. Is this a realistic price?
    If a good condition full set then you will get £140-150 mark on ebay. If here then £100-120 would seem a solid price.

Grand Master
    For me, neither. I feel the Stargate is a cut above the skx 007 etc, especially if you lose the cyclops.

Journeyman
    Try on the Marathon before deciding, but keep the Seiko for sure!

Out of the two I'd definitely be letting the Atlas go - as with others I won't buy a '5' Seiko because I hate the branding and I dislike compass markings on watches.

Simon

Atlas vs SKX007. Which one is a keeper?

Once I'd sold the Atlas and bought the Marathon, I'd then be looking to sell the SKX and buy a turtle re-issue to replace it. Sacrilege to some, I know, but I reckon the turtles are significantly better watches than the SKXs...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Once I'd sold the Atlas and bought the Marathon, I'd then be looking to sell the SKX and buy a turtle re-issue to replace it. Sacrilege to some, I know, but I reckon the turtles are significantly better watches than the SKXs...

Simon

Not sacrilege at all, the Turtles are better in every way. Case, bezel, bracelet, movement. Everything apart from maybe the crystal and hands, depending on the specific model.

Master

Simon

And Sumos are significantly better than Turtles ;-) All reflected in their respective prices £175 - £300 - £400.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    And Sumos are significantly better than Turtles ;-) All reflected in their respective prices £175 - £300 - £400.
    Yes, I accept that of course. I do think the Turtles offer better VFM relative to their respective price than SKXs now though, as SKXs seem to be creeping up in cost.

Simon

Master
    Yes, I accept that of course. I do think the Turtles offer better VFM relative to their respective price than SKXs now though, as SKXs seem to be creeping up in cost.

Simon
    What I love about Seiko is that every watch is kind of transparent in terms of value for money. When you make watches from £50 to £5000+, you always seem to get what you pay for. That's much harder to achieve when you compare watches with differing brands.

I have about 20 Seikos, ranging from £50 to £900 in rrp. Each one is perfectly priced in terms of its spec. IMO of course....

Master

Simon

And after that sell both the Marathon and the Turtle to get a Marinemaster. A very slippery slope :)