closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Can anyone tell me about this Vintage JLC?

Journeyman

Can anyone tell me about this Vintage JLC?

Hi Guys,

I inherited this, years ago, from my grandfather, unfortunately he died when I was quite young so I don't know anything about the watch, except to say it is stunning and the photos don't do it justice. It still works perfectly, although it doesn't get too much wrist time...

Does anyone know anything about this watch? I can't seem to find any online that are the same, most seem to have Arabic numerals, not just the art-deco style markers seen on this one. A rough date for the watch would be much appreciated, or a guide to how to make sense of the serial number on the caseback...

Sorry for no pictures of the movement, I'm a little scared I'll damage it if I try to open it up...

Thanks in advance for any input :-)

IMG_0282 by Chris Strutt, on Flickr

IMG_0283 by Chris Strutt, on Flickr

IMG_0285 by Chris Strutt, on Flickr

Craftsman
    Cannot tell you anything other than that is cooler than cool

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell me about this Vintage JLC?

Hi, it's lovely. If you show a picture of the caseback it might help.

Welcome by the way - not a bad first watch to show :).

If webwatchmaker is around I'm sure he would have a good idea.
    Last edited by alfat33; 11th March 2017 at 14:28.

Wow...this is a lovely watch...caliber 484(should be)....would be interesting to know the movement number to date the watch more accurately...I'd say mid-late 40'...from the picture the dial looks perfect...maybe has been reprinted though...is it a 36mm?

Craftsman
    It is a JLC triple Date calendar from the mid 40s - early 50s, movement: cal. 484. This watch was firstly introduced in 1945. I like it man, very cool watch!!

What a wonderful watch in amazing condition for its age. Though as Cirotti observes, the dial is so pristine that one wonders whether it may have been refinished. If not, you have something really special; if it has, it's lovely nonetheless! And sentimental value adds something you can never buy.

Zaf Basha write a great book on vintage JLC models, with a section on the triple date calendar. I've a feeling it may be out of print though.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

The only thing I can tell you about it is that it's beautiful.

Journeyman
    Thanks for all the comments, yes, it is beautiful, I think it has been restored to some extent. My father took it to a guy on Maddox Street as it had seized. He hand made some replacement cogs. I don't know if he did anything to the dial but it is metal so may have just aged without tarnishing?

Has anyone seen one without numerals before? Be interesting to know how unique it is?

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    One of the best tripledates made.

Sent from my SM-G900F using TZ-UK mobile app