closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cheap Android phones, worth it?

Cheap Android phones, worth it?

Im looking for advice on the lower end of the smartphone spectrum, number 1 son is itching to get his own phone for his birthday, mainly to play his blessed Pokemon Go whilst out and about with a pocket money PAYG sim without having to rely on me giving him my IPhone that has it on, there are a couple of old smartphones in the the house but evidently too old to support the app in question.
    Now, Im a certified Apple fan boy so am unfamiliar with Android but there are a few at the budget end of the market £50-100 that seem to have good specs but patchy reviews, 4g is desirable and doable within budget like the Lenovo a916 at £60 ( very sketchy reviews )or at the higher part of the budget the Lenovo Z2 £100, I expect paying the higher price gets you more kit but would I then not be wise to get a used IPhone 5s instead?
    Ive almost talked myself into the IPhone whilst typing this actually.
    Thanks in advance.

Journeyman
    As you have said yourself I would go for a 5s, stick to what you know. I'm always sceptical of cheap tech.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I'd skip any budget new phones and just look for a secondhand flagship from years gone by. If android, you can't really go wrong with an HTC M7. Even today it is still a great phone, and can easily be found for <£100. I've no intention of upgrading from mine as it still does the job just fine.

I have had many Android phones, Oneplus, ZTE, Umi, LG, Xaiomi and Samsung and they have all been great.

Craftsman
    I've been using a Wileyfox Swift Android phone since last September when I sat on my Sony Xperia Z2 just before going on holiday. Needing a replacement in a hurry I got one delivered from Amazon next day.

I paid £120 including a case, been really impressed on what a great phone it is and have stuck with it and have barely missed the 5x price of the Sony. For the price you can't go wrong.

A too cheap a phone won't run Pokeman thingy game. Best cheap one mentioned already, the WileySwift or a better quality second hand one.

Thanks all, Ill probably hang out for a 5s, he's familiar with Apple OS anyway.
    Thanks again.
    J

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    I've been using a Wileyfox Swift Android phone since last September when I sat on my Sony Xperia Z2 just before going on holiday. Needing a replacement in a hurry I got one delivered from Amazon next day.

I paid £120 including a case, been really impressed on what a great phone it is and have stuck with it and have barely missed the 5x price of the Sony. For the price you can't go wrong.
    Good choice. Good specs for the price. On paper more than adequate for day to day stuff. I was considering it at one point, then decided on being a sheep and bought an Iphone 7! For the record I would have bought the Pixel 5 but it was priced the same.

I bought a Wileyfox Swift, which cost less than the screen replacement on my Sony Z5 Compact. Everything about it so far has been great, and doubt I'll be spending the crazy prices asked for by Sony and Samsung again

Craftsman
    Moto E . Excellent cheap Android and will run pokamon go

I've become addicted to bargain Chinese Android handsets. Behold the Oukitel U13: http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_600948.html (which I have just purchased).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    I've become addicted to bargain Chinese Android handsets. Behold the Oukitel U13: http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_600948.html (which I have just purchased).
    Nice one :)

I have come to the conclusion I don't need a top end phone so I will be going into a three store on Monday and buying the new Lenovo P2 for £199 it has a Samsung super Amoled 5.5" display and a massive 5100 mah battery easily giving a pretty heavy user two days before charging again and the reviews are really good the only drawback is the camera is average but that doesn't bother me.

I'm on a oukitel U15 , one of the best phones I've owned for the princely sum of 79 pounds.
    Ahem.

Sent from my U15 Pro using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by saturn5 View Post
    Moto E . Excellent cheap Android and will run pokamon go
    I have one of these, having long ago gotten fed up with expensive phones. Needs a bit more internal memory imo, but otherwise its a great phone for £70 or whatever I paid.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    pick up a second hand iphone 5s, great phone and also you can use it in an emergency if you lose him via the find my iphone app, for the record I got my son the iphone SE, great little phone and he takes care of it, stuck it in a tough case for him.

Kids have previously had Moto Es and I didn't think much of them - seemed underpowered, slow and clunky at almost everything. They've all ended up with different phones now. My daughter's WileyFox Swift 2 knocks the danglies off my son's Iphone 5s. It's right up there with my Galaxy S6.

I know a bad seller to avoid on ebay

We rolled out the Sony Xperia XA at work and they are a great phone.

Feel good quality, and up to now, we've had no problems with them. They come in a few different colours and I think you can pick them up from just over £100.

Monthly, we got great deals for about £12 per phone on the O2 business account which was a lot less than the equivalent iPhone or Samsung.

It hooks up with Bluetooth well, the camera is [I]ok[I] and I'm pretty sure it's dual sim compatible ... if you like that sort of thing.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    I bought a Wileyfox Swift, which cost less than the screen replacement on my Sony Z5 Compact. Everything about it so far has been great, and doubt I'll be spending the crazy prices asked for by Sony and Samsung again
    Have never heard of this make before, just had a look and seems you get quite a lot for your money. Thanks

Craftsman
    If you're prepared to wait, then ordering direct from China can prove value for money

The Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 seems to be particularly popular (have a browse of HotUKdeals) - I ordered one from the Xiaomi direct store on Aliexpress at the end of November - it was delivered in 17-18 days with no customs fees. I paid around £125 all in

As for the phone it self, I'm impressed - decent build quality and spec and a bargain at the price I paid. I ordered the global version- it supports all UK networks and worked straight out of the box

HTH

Thanks for the continued advice.... 👍
    Cheers..
    Jase

Agree with Steveoc - I bought one at a very similar time, but it's a big phone at 5.5", so might not be suitable for a kid.
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/offi...tphone-2607592

Master
    I really think you'll struggle if you're an Apple fanboy.

I've had apple phones since their initial launch and I have tried a few times in recent years to swap to other makes. It always ends very quickly with frustration. I just find my iPhone works and doesn't snarl up or need maintenance. I could count on one hand the amount of times I've had to reboot an iPhone in all the years of owning them. I think in the first week of HTC ownership I'd bettered that stat.

I also find IOS very intuitive and everything on android just seems a bit more convoluted to operate (settings, adjustments etc)

Master
    Another vote for a 5s-if your handy pick a damaged screen one up - 3rd party screens are about £15 - ideal for kids

I've recently replaced my Samsung with a Moto G4 and I'm really pleased with it. £150 from John Lewis for added peace of mind.

Not worth it. I've been given a Samsung XCover3 for work and it's absolutely dreadful. Unresponsive due to crappy hardware and software. Reminds me of the old early resistive-screen Nokia "smart" phones and feels like you've just stepped back a decade in technology.

Master
    I have just bought a Lenovo P2 unlocked from the three store and it is a stunning phone just check out the specs and the battery is massive at 5100 mah I came home from work today and it is on 85% this thing will last for days, the body is all metal and it feels and looks so premium as for me battery life on mobiles is always a problem and trust me this will put an end to that :)

The screen is a super amoled Samsung display which is amazing honestly for the money it is astonishing and I have had some great phones, also when I bought it this week it was £199.99 and on the receipt it showed a discount of £100.01 so that gets me thinking it is an introductory offer as it is exclusive to three in the UK so for £200 it blows all your other budget phones away as the battery is ludicrous:)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I have just bought a Lenovo P2 unlocked from the three store and it is a stunning phone just check out the specs and the battery is massive at 5100 mah I came home from work today and it is on 85% this thing will last for days, the body is all metal and it feels and looks so premium as for me battery life on mobiles is always a problem and trust me this will put an end to that :)

The screen is a super amoled Samsung display which is amazing honestly for the money it is astonishing and I have had some great phones, also when I bought it this week it was £199.99 and on the receipt it showed a discount of £100.01 so that gets me thinking it is an introductory offer as it is exclusive to three in the UK so for £200 it blows all your other budget phones away as the battery is ludicrous:)
    How you getting on with it Andy? I bought one a couple of days ago but not had chance to set it up/use it yet. Looks and feels great though. Mine also shows a £100 discount on the receipt....
    Have you found any decent cases for them, the choice looks pretty limited on the usual Amazon/eBay.....?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j4ckal View Post
    How you getting on with it Andy? I bought one a couple of days ago but not had chance to set it up/use it yet. Looks and feels great though. Mine also shows a £100 discount on the receipt....
    Have you found any decent cases for them, the choice looks pretty limited on the usual Amazon/eBay.....?
    Hi mate

I absolutely love this phone I went out to work on Tuesday morning with a full charge and I haven't charged it since!! It will get me through tomorrow as well (Friday) and at present it is showing 39% left on the battery and I have over 5 and a half hours screen on time so I reckon 8 to 10 hours screen on time is easily doable as the battery on this is insane :) as for cases I don't ever use cases or screen protectors as I just don't like them but I keep my phone in a felt pouch and I am very very careful with them so they don't get marked, I really don't think this phone needs a case at all.

The screen is superb isnt it :) It has shown me that I don't need a big name brand or a flagship that costs £600 as this phone is stunning for the price and with that discount showing on the receipt I reckon it will go back to £300 soon.

Master
    My daughters contract galaxy s5 decided to break recently, as she still has another 6 months before replacement we bought her this
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Complete no name android phone. It's actually pretty good, the only downside really is the lack of built in memory but add an sd card and it's fine.
    She has zero issues with it and it does everythign she needs from phone calls to face book. For £40 it's gobsmackingly good.