closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Amsterdam

Journeyman

Amsterdam

Planning a trip to Amsterdam for the wife's birthday and wondered if anyone had any good tips for things to do/see.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I'll watch this with keen interest it's about time I took the wife to Amsterdam she's been asking to go for years now.

I'm watching this one too! We fancy a short trip (for the family) to Amsterdam so it would be good to see a list of top spots....

Master
    Leave the wife at home?

I've been a couple of times and would suggest in no particular order:

• The Rijksmuseum - for some wonderful Vermeers and Rembrandts as well as a vast cornucopia of historic treasures. Beware though it is large! You may also want to book tickets in advance. Take tram 5 from the centre of the city.
    • Just across from the Rijksmuseum, are the Van Gogh and the Stedeilijk museums if you fancy some more art!
    • A poignant essential is The Ann Frank Huis - you need to book in advance on-line for your visit.
    • The Jewish Historical museum puts a visit to the Ann Frank Huis in context and has some beautiful exhibits.
    • The Rembrandt House is also worth a visit as a recreation of his house/studio.
    • If you like plants etc. the Hortus Botanicus is small but excellent.
    • Watches are catered for. The Amsterdam Watch Company on Reestraat is high end but friendly.
    • There is Gassans on Dam Square and plenty of others around.

It's a great place to visit and I would also factor in some time just to sit in a street bar enjoy een biertje of twee and watch the world go by! Enjoy your time there.

The standout for me has always been the Van Gogh museum.

It made me understand so much about art and its history in general as well as Van Gogh in particular.
    Last edited by Tony; 26th January 2017 at 13:42.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIM View Post
    Leave the wife at home?
    The thought has crossed my mind!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I've been a couple of times and would suggest in no particular order:

• The Rijksmuseum - for some wonderful Vermeers and Rembrandts as well as a vast cornucopia of historic treasures. Beware though it is large! You may also want to book tickets in advance. Take tram 5 from the centre of the city.
    • Just across from the Rijksmuseum, are the Van Gogh and the Stedeilijk museums if you fancy some more art!
    • A poignant essential is The Ann Frank Huis - you need to book in advance on-line for your visit.
    • The Jewish Historical museum puts a visit to the Ann Frank Huis in context and has some beautiful exhibits.
    • The Rembrandt House is also worth a visit as a recreation of his house/studio.
    • If you like plants etc. the Hortus Botanicus is small but excellent.
    • Watches are catered for. The Amsterdam Watch Company on Reestraat is high end but friendly.
    • There is Gassans on Dam Square and plenty of others around.

It's a great place to visit and I would also factor in some time just to sit in a street bar enjoy een biertje of twee and watch the world go by! Enjoy your time there.
    Thank you, gives me some bits to look in to.
    I know what you mean, it's too easy to cram so much touristy stuff in that you forget to chill out and actually enjoy your surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post

It made me understood so much about art and its history in general as well as Van Gogh in particular.
    Absolutely the same for me, changed my view in a way I wouldn't have believed possible.
    My tip - if you fancy any of the museums, buy your tickets online before you go.

I was marooned in Amsterdam for 6 days a few years ago when that Icelandic volcano shut down all flights. Apart from having to move hotel 3 times (due to the USA travel insurance companies buying up all the hotel rooms) it was great. I ended up at the Best Western Hotel right next to the Rijksmuseum for a couple of days. Result! I tried to get around as many of the touristy sites as I could, but echo the advice to make time to find a nice canal-side bar and chill out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post

It made me understood so much about art and its history in general as well as Van Gogh in particular.
    I'd second that, well worth seeing. We turned up mid morning and there was quite a long queue to get in (an hour at least from memory), so might be worth seeing if you can pre book tickets online.

Journeyman
    Thanks for the advice. Van Gogh is on my list so I'll look into booking tickets.

Master
    I'd start by using the forum search function to see if anyone had asked the same question fairly recently myself. Then I could say I read them but was looking for more X, Y or Z.....

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ight=amsterdam

Anne frank house a let down for me.
    Outside its looks like a new building and the queue Evan at 9 am was huge

Amsterdam is a great place, went there early Jan. Here are a few thoughts:
    - canal cruise was one of my favourite things to do
    - museums were great but make sure u book online otherwise u'll b queuing in freezing cold
    - they have this swing on top of the tallest building called Adam tower- I thought it was great fun!
    - I was impressed with standard of food everywhere
    - I tried one of the famous "coffee" shops and really enjoyed it! But make sure u go to a famous one e.g. Dampkring as the normal ones grubby with dodgy looking people!
    - stay somewhere near Amsterdam central train station and u'll b able to walk everywhere

Enjoy! It's a lovely place!

If you're in the market for a new watch there is also the opportunity to visit Gassans in Schiphol on your return. Although the exchange rates would need checking, I think they still help out with the VAT.

Journeyman
    Visiting Amsterdam for the first time a few years ago I was a little bit disappointed however there were a few small highlights.

The disappointing side was, whilst I applaud their relaxed attitude to smoking and sex workers, it all seemed very tackily done. The cafes were in dingy basements and the red light district was like visiting a zoo.

The highlights were a cycle tour of the city. That would depend on the time of year and weather. I also did the boat tour but that was not so good.

The Sexmuseum was worth a visit. And they had the ingenious ploy of charging EUR4 so when you got your 1 Euro coin change it had a sticker on advertising the place which would then go into circulation.

Further along Damrak is a large C&A which has a delightfully politically incorrect advert from the 60s in the stairwell - something along the lines of dress at C&A and pull the birds.

I quickly tired of the city though. I hired a bike for another day. Behind the central station is a free foot ferry. Once across you're quickly into the countryside. I rode out to Broek in Waterland. It's all flat as well so easy going. That was a better day. Anyway have fun whatever you do.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Cocaine and hookers.
    I'm surprised it took this long!

Blog Entries
    I don't know how long you are going for, but if you can find the time to take the train to Leiden (the most beautiful town in the Netherlands), you can take a look at T-Rex in the big Naturalis museum. Currently exlusively on loan from the USA .

About 30 minutes from A'dam central station.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by GWFH View Post
    The disappointing side was, whilst I applaud their relaxed attitude to smoking and sex workers, it all seemed very tackily done. The cafes were in dingy basements and the red light district was like visiting a zoo.
    What did you expect it to be?? It's not exactly going to be red carpet is it.

I've been 10+ times. once with the wife, rest of time with the mates. Going with the wife was actually pretty good as it allowed me to see the city instead of the cafes and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd been going for years and actually never knew we were 30 seconds walk from Nieumarket Square

A drink in Leidseplein square is nice, as there is usually some good street performers on. I enjoyed the Heineken museum as well.

Been a while since I've been but I love the place.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    What did you expect it to be?? It's not exactly going to be red carpet is it.
    I didn't have great expectations but I didn't expect it to be quite so unpleasant either. Scantily clad women gyrating in fluorescent lit full length windows beckoning at the gawping crowds. I would have thought there were more discrete ways of prostitution being legal.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GWFH View Post
    I didn't have great expectations but I didn't expect it to be quite so unpleasant either. Scantily clad women gyrating in fluorescent lit full length windows beckoning at the gawping crowds. I would have thought there were more discrete ways of prostitution being legal.

So I take it you've never had a night out in the Bigg Market, Newcastle upon Tyne.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    So I take it you've never had a night out in the Bigg Market, Newcastle upon Tyne.
    I know i did

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Journeyman
    I would've thought that everyone would expect to see exactly that. Granted that's not my sort of thing but it wouldn't make me think less of the place because I'll be going knowing full well there is a prominent legal sex and drug trade.

if you have time Utrecht is not far away and is a really nice city

Here's my ha'porth after my last trip.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post1772791

Master
    All good suggestions so far apart from the Mozam which is 2nd rate unless you get lucky, or so I'm told . Here's a couple more that I can find no mention of:

http://bodyworlds.nl/en/

http://www.brouwerijhetij.nl/?lang=en

Enjoy your trip its a fantastic place

Just noticed the windmill pub is in the post before mine..........

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Here's my ha'porth after my last trip.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post1772791
    Great write up, thank you.

Blog Entries
    We, the non-residents of Amsterdam try to stay clear of that city.

My wife has her office in Amsterdam, near the river Amstel. That's as far as I want to go into the city. A lot of the nice spots are mentioned already. The Maritime Museum near the Naval Baracks is nice as well (it's the former Admirality).

Try Ice Salon 'Venetia' in the Scheldestraat, near the RAI Exhibit Center. That must be the tastiest icecream outside Venice, Italy.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 26th January 2017 at 18:03.

Blog Entries
    Been twice... stay in jordaan, it's the nicest spot and about 5 mins from Dam square (also has a great second hand watch shop)

Loads of nicer bars and decent restaurants... far nicer than anywhere around the red light district, which was all a bit tacky in my opinion

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    the red light district, which was all a bit tacky in my opinion
    That's whores for you.

Journeyman
    Thanks for all the replies. Saved me a lot of leg work!

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    if you have time Utrecht is not far away and is a really nice city
    This. 40 mins on the train and absolutely beautiful. I was gonna post so myself but beaten to it! Again, canal side restaurants/bars worth a visit but just go for an amble. Amazing.

So far all good ideas (for tourists that is :-)). One tip from an insider: make restaurant reservations in advance otherwise you'll end up in tourist places...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
    So far all good ideas (for tourists that is :-)). One tip from an insider: make restaurant reservations in advance otherwise you'll end up in tourist places...
    True and this helps too: https://www.thefork.com The English version of the Dutch 'Iens' website (a TripAdvisor daughter). Good spot to start looking for a nice place for lunch and dinner. One thing that's not as common as in other cities: breakfast-bars. There are a few around, but not so many as in London or New York.

Menno

Don't forget to pop into a supermarket and pick up a couple of packets of stroopwafels!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Don't forget to pop into a supermarket and pick up a couple of packets of stroopwafels!
    I have just looked these up. I think I'll be getting a few packs!

Journeyman
    Thanks for the inside tip! I will get that app and take a look.

One of the best bars I have ever been to was in Amsterdam, Tales & Spirits

They have some crazy cocktails and posh nosh on offer, but it isn't cheap.

Apparently it has won plenty of awards, which isn't surprising giving the service and attention to detail.

If I remember correctly I was drinking from the boot of a model '69 Dodge Charger (General Lee) Yeehaw!, whilst my girlfriend was sipping from a bath tub with a barbie in it. Sounds bizarre now but it works when you're there. Highly recommend it.

www.talesandspirits.com

Also we were advised to do the Westerkerk tour which is a large church not far from Anne Frank's house. Sadly we missed the last tour on our final day and felt a bit gutted as the views were meant to be remarkable.

We did however decide to go for a few cocktails in the evening at The Sky Lounge in the Hilton Hotel. The views from there were amazing and if you get decent weather you can sit out on the roof terrace and get a brilliant panoramic view.

www.skyloungeamsterdam.com

Granted it isn't quite 'good ol'Amsterdam' but if you want a decent drink, it does the job.

Cheers

Journeyman

Amsterdam

Just checked out the website for tales and spirits, the house rules are great! Will definitely be making a visit!
    Thanks Greenman.

Last edited by Benco; 27th January 2017 at 16:22.

Master
    Spacecakes, mmm yummy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Get yourself some nice ETQ trainers.