closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incoming: 1999 Rolex Explorer II (and side debate !)

Craftsman

Incoming: 1999 Rolex Explorer II (and side debate !)

Just taken delivery of this from a forum member. Like the look of it a lot, but boy the strap feels "cheap n flimsy" v my brand new Batman. I assume this is due to 16 years of wear n use.

Think I best stay clear of this place for a while. It's costing me a few quid being a member !

Edit: thread took on a new life of its own, hence title addition (and side debate)
    Last edited by bigfish; 27th June 2016 at 19:36.

The latest bracelets are more substantial than the earlier ones. (the clasp anyway).

Still more than up to the job though.

Dave+63 is right. As for the pocket emptying power of this place, well lets just say you could very well be at the top of a black run on a very cold day with no other way down. Enjoy your watch it is a nice piece and easy to wear compared to many (slightly) larger models.

Craftsman
    Don't I know it (gulp)

Agree, it wears really well, but feels a little less substantial next to the BNLR. But a nice contrast too and very difference watches
    Last edited by bigfish; 25th June 2016 at 18:10.

I wear the modern and old-school bracelets in back-to-back rotation, and I can honestly say that I don't have a preference for either; they're both brilliant for wearing. You'll likely quickly appreciate the charms of the old-school version.

Cool watch; where did you end up finding yours?

You are experiencing what I believe is referred to as 'Rolex rattle'. The latest bracelets are so far ahead of the old ones it's untrue. I prefer the dimensions of the non ceramic Submariners but the latest glidelock bracelets more than compensate.

I love the rattly bracelet on my Polar 16750, it gives it a satisfying vintage vibe. It's solid enough to feel that it's not going to fail, which is the most important thing, and it's light enough to be unobtrusive. Perfect daily wearability.

It's the same as the jubilee on my SKX009. I tried a Strapcode jubilee but it felt too sterile and lacked character, and it weighed too much.

Same again with the 1172 and 633 end links on my SM300 – strong and safe but makes a lovely tinkling sound when I move my wrist. It's like horological wind chimes

Have you got a picture of the watch? If it's the one I think it is, then this watch has a very interesting and special history on this forum...

Did you buy it from ViperStripes?

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Have you got a picture of the watch? If it's the one I think it is, then this watch has a very interesting and special history on this forum...

Check out the draft thread Lewis!

Craftsman

Yes I did. What's the history, I heard may have been auctioned prior ? Seems in great condition to my un trained eyes
    Last edited by bigfish; 25th June 2016 at 22:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Check out the draft thread Lewis!
    Just wanted to check if it was 'the one' Dave!

Bigfish, it was donated to be raffled for the victims of the Nepal Earthquake, a massive gesture for anyone to make. It ended up making a great amount of money for charity whilst easing a lot of awareness and the hope is it will always stay on the forum.

If you decide to move it on, please do ensure it stays on here if at all possible.

Hopefully somebody at an actual computer could provide you with the links to the threads, hope you enjoy them. It's a special watch.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    Yes I did. What's the history, I heard may have been auctioned prior ? Seems in great condition to my un trained eyes

I don't remember this watch coming up on Sales Corner????? (not the original charity auction the SC post where you bought it).

Craftsman
    Thanks for this, I can't read most of them as don't have the relevant privileges but at least I can see now where my watch originated - a fine noble gesture

Thanks for this, I can't read most of them as don't have the relevant privileges but at least I can see now where my watch originated - a fine noble gesture
    It's just as well you can't read them ! :)
    Seriously though, in reply to your pm , I don't know when it was last serviced. I never had it serviced myself because the timekeeping was fine when I had it - not that I wore it much anyway! Enjoy your new watch! Best wishes Dave
    Last edited by seikopath; 26th June 2016 at 08:30.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

What they say is that it's sort of known as the 'forum watch'. It was gifted by Seikopath to the forum for Nepal, and then sold several times between established members at £2750 including postage which is the fixed price.

I sincerely hope you have not paid more. To profit from this watch would be extremely uncouth.

What they say is that it's sort of known as the 'forum watch'. It was gifted by Seikopath to the forum for Nepal, and then sold several times between established members at £2750 including postage which is the fixed price.

I sincerely hope you have not paid more. To profit from this watch would be extremely uncouth.
    Although the person from whom you bought it has said in another part of the forum that he will be donating any profits to the forum Fundraiser. It would appear he has not yet done so.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Although the person from whom you bought it has said in another part of the forum that he will be donating any profits to the forum Fundraiser. It would appear he has not yet done so.
    That's good news and certainly changes the light on what seemed at first like the extremely distasteful act of making profit from a charity watch by contacting a new guy without Sales Corner access via PM and selling it to him in what he thought would be a secret transaction.

I'm trying to follow this narrative and it's spread over lots of threads. Perhaps some could start a thread giving links to them all. H and V might be a happy home for that one?

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I can't find where he said that. He mentioned that he was considering donating the full sale proceeds to charity, but he never posted a commitment to do so....?

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?p=4005105
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I can't find where he said that. He mentioned that he was considering donating the full sale proceeds to charity, but he never posted a commitment to do so....?

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?p=4005105
    Oops I stand corrected- he said he "might" donate any profit he makes. I naturally assumed that he would do the decent thing and hopefully will do so very soon.

Edit- on re-reading he said he was "mighty tempted" to donate the profit. But he never said anything on the forum about pocketing 90% of the profit. Hmmmm...
    Last edited by draftsmann; 26th June 2016 at 09:32.

Craftsman
    Look I seem to have been caught up in something I don't know much about, nor do I have permissions to look at them

What I can tell you is I paid £3,000 from ViperStripes who has been easy to deal with. He did tell me he paid £2,750 but wouldnt part with it for less than £3k and indeed explained it was worth more

He said he will donate 10% of his profit to a fundraiser - which I assumed was the running of this forum

That about it. And yep - it's a lovely watch

Master
    Oh dear ViperStripes

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not looking good vipersnipes

Banned
    He said he will donate 10% of his profit to a fundraiser - which I assumed was the running of this forum
    No, it’s 10% of the sale price.

Who would usually know the profit amount to ascertain the amount to use in the calculation?

A donation has been made by the seller - a whole £18 - but that may be for sales of other stuff he has listed since speedposting his way to Sales Corner. Yes, with Gift Aid, the total donation increases to £22.50, but it takes some front to even use Gift Aid as the calculation of donation to save a penny or two

Those who sneak around the WTB section and threads where members mention watches they are looking for, in order to PM and sell stuff, are the lowest of the low on a forum.

In any case, the watch is a cracker, hope you enjoy.

The fundraiser is for charity - the money goes to various good causes.

Still you've got a good watch there and just a shame you are caught up in this.

Out of interest what happened to the funds generated from the sale of the watch post raffle?

Damn if this thread didn't take on an unexpected twist...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Out of interest what happened to the funds generated from the sale of the watch post raffle?
    Mike (seadog1408) won the watch. He put it in the safe and never tried it on. He never made any attempt to sell it but I approached him a couple of times because it was so darned nice and eventually he sold it to me. That's it basically. Mike definitely made no attempt to profit from the watch and conducted himself in an impeccable manner. I then added to it to make it a full set and sold it for my costs. I PMd Mike beforehand to explain that I'd converted it to a full set so he didn't think I was trying to take the mickey as I don't see this hobby as a money making one. That takes something away from it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    Mike (seadog1408) won the watch. He put it in the safe and never tried it on. He never made any attempt to sell it but I approached him a couple of times because it was so darned nice and eventually he sold it to me. That's it basically. Mike definitely made no attempt to profit from the watch and conducted himself in an impeccable manner. I then added to it to make it a full set and sold it for my costs. I PMd Mike beforehand to explain that I'd converted it to a full set so he didn't think I was trying to take the mickey as I don't see this hobby as a money making one. That takes something away from it for me.
    So you had the bits to make it a full set? Or did you source them after the purchase from sea dog?

Master
    I sourced them after the purchase bit by bit. It wasn't the plan when I got it but once I did I thought it was a shame that it wasn't a full set. It also wasn't my plan at that point to sell it on either but after giving up work to be a stay at home Dad I had to free up some capital, so sold it and picked up a 3570.

Edit: What I added to the set is in my original sales post
    Last edited by Schofie; 26th June 2016 at 15:30.

Craftsman
    So, a long saga it appears, but for those that had owned or touched it in passing I can say it's a cracker and thanks so much for the care taken of it

Beautiful condition and I have just got in (after wearing my BNLR as a mate wanted to see it) and I have "changed into it"

Lovely watch to wear and will pop some photos on soon

One thing if I may - anyone know when it was last serviced ?
    Last edited by bigfish; 26th June 2016 at 20:23.

Master
    You enjoy it in good health mate. It's the best example you're going to find and it's your watch now so don't let what's been happening sour it for you.

Service history is unknown but when I had it it was well within cosc so don't sweat it unless you really feel the urge.

Enjoy sir

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    You enjoy it in good health mate. It's the best example you're going to find and it's your watch now so don't let what's been happening sour it for you.

Service history is unknown but when I had it it was well within cosc so don't sweat it unless you really feel the urge.

Enjoy sir
    Thanks - will see how much time it looses but condition is peachy - seems a special watch so I will

a) enjoy it
    b) look after it
    c) if I ever sell it (which is highly unlikely) will only offer it on this forum at a zero profit

Master
    Timekeeping should be about +4 seconds a day by my last calculation. If it starts to veer from that then it'll need servicing, otherwise it should be fine.

Banned
    Can't see a H&V entry by the seller.

In fact, can't see much other than twaddle, speed posting, excuses, sales posts and false promises.

A forum stalwart in the making.

Viperstripes, welcome!

I've been keeping quiet on this and the Draft Thread and SC post about Viperstripes as I had done a deal with him to purchase his JLC Ultra Thin Moon and my watch had not arrived.

This was initiated by me by posting on his SC Omega book thread about selling the above. He then contacted me via PM and a deal was done. Albeit he did originally want a higher price than he had paid and he also said he would make a donation to the fundraiser but I did want the watch so a deal was done. I then found these threads about previous behaviours and could see a pattern of behaviour that had me concerned. I have waited till the watch arrived in my possession in case there was anything awry with the deal that I would have to sort privately with Viperstripes. I am pleased to say that there wasn't.

In the original deal there was a spare JLC tang buckle, to which I had forgotten to mention. If it hadn't been included, it would really have flagged him up as a dealer and I would take issue. It has however been included in the parcel so I have no issues.

So in my deal with Viperstripes perhaps I was complicit by initiating contact. But he didn't keep the buckle, which I see as an indication of honesty. I would also say is that this pattern of trying to profit from watch sales surely cannot be worth it in light of the flaming he's brought upon himself and the little amount of money raised. In the 'spirit of the forum' so to speak I feel I should point out both sides of the story and you make up your own minds on whether you should deal with him or not

If not an outright Hero, not a full blown Villain either.

Good of you to post Davey.
    To clarify, you ended up effectively paying a "premium" above what Viper originally paid for the JLC?

Thanks for the info, good to know.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

It seems it was Viperstripes who initiated contact via PM? A comment on another thread suggesting he sell the JLC is hardly you declaring your wish to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Good of you to post Davey.
    To clarify, you ended up effectively paying a "premium" above what Viper originally paid for the JLC?
    Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    This raises a question.

Are all watches bought on SC that are resold on SC to be sold only for zero profit or a loss?

Or is there a kind of timeline on this such as deliberate flipping for profit (1 or 2 months between purchase and sale) and a 1 to 2 year+ period where usually all watches have increased in price so any sale for a profit would be offset by a higher price to buy another watch (and the time value of money), also there may have been a service in that time which was a cost incurred which also added to the value of the watch.

If it's the former case, prices need to be fixed in some quasi past price land that would incentivise actual profiteers buying here to sell elsewhere as we've seen happen too often in the past.

Given the importance placed on forum etiquette, I feel it's important for people to know some of the situations which may have them marked down.

My view is given how much things change in a year or more, watch prices, exchange rates, service work etc.. that pricing a common enough watch below Chrono24's best EU price is fair in that situation.

I like most people here see my enjoyment of watches as a hobby that usually costs me a little bit over the years. Watches I've owned for 1+ years are sometimes sold at loss sometimes at a profit but over the course of time the former is bigger than the latter as a sale is always to fund a new purchase.

Decent behaviour shouldn't need to be defined in terms of hard-and-fast rules.

Quote Originally Posted by CVByrne View Post
    This raises a question.

Are all watches bought on SC that are resold on SC to be sold only for zero profit or a loss?

Or is there a kind of timeline on this such as deliberate flipping for profit (1 or 2 months between purchase and sale) and a 1 to 2 year+ period where usually all watches have increased in price so any sale for a profit would be offset by a higher price to buy another watch (and the time value of money), also there may have been a service in that time which was a cost incurred which also added to the value of the watch.

If it's the former case, prices need to be fixed in some quasi past price land that would incentivise actual profiteers buying here to sell elsewhere as we've seen happen too often in the past. (...)

You are asking an interesting question.

Would you think a markup of say 15% in a year was deliberate flipping for profit or is it a normal increase of value?
    Last edited by Raffe; 27th June 2016 at 16:04. Reason: corrected error

This raises a question.
    I don't think it does. People can sell for what they want; if they haven't been able to work out that profiteering from the charity watch is a bit off, then they don't care. I expect VS really doesn't care and people will still deal with him. Not me, but others will. I won't interact with him, the same as I don't with many on here.

There are no rules about this, because decency shouldn't have to be explained.

What rules there are, such as only selling your own possessions are ignored relentlessly as can be seen from the ENDLESS handbags and 'wife's' shoes or whatever. If people can't follow the actual rules, they're not going to be interested in what may or may not be 'off'. 'I take full responsibility for the sale'. So what, it's against one of the very, very few rules.

Craftsman
    You are asking an interesting question.

Would you think a markup of say 15% in less than two months was deliberate flipping for profit or is it a normal increase of value?
    That's deliberate flipping for profit in my view.

That's deliberate flipping for profit in my view.
    I agree. I have changed the question above, how about 15% in 13 months?

Craftsman
    I don't think it does. People can sell for what they want; if they haven't been able to work out that profiteering from the charity watch is a bit off, then they don't care. I expect VS really doesn't care and people will still deal with him. Not me, but others will. I won't interact with him, the same as I don't with many on here.

There are no rules about this, because decency shouldn't have to be explained.

What rules there are, such as only selling your own possessions are ignored relentlessly as can be seen from the ENDLESS handbags and 'wife's' shoes or whatever. If people can't follow the actual rules, they're not going to be interested in what may or may not be 'off'. 'I take full responsibility for the sale'. So what, it's against one of the very, very few rules.
    I agree with everything you say there, decency shouldn't need to be explained.

On the charity watch though, it served its purpose in raising funds for a good cause. So what the owner wishes to do with it after then is their decision. But at the same time to go and profit from that exact watch back on this forum to a new member is not a particularly decent thing to do and VS probably thought nobody would ever know as it was a reply to a WTB.

Craftsman
    I agree. I have changed the question above, how about 15% in 13 months?
    That's directed at myself and is also why I raised the question in the first place. I don't think there was anything wrong in the 12% increase for that specific watch in those 13 months as it was significantly lower than all available on chrono24. I bought it, owned it and enjoyed it for over a year and the watch I replaced it with cost me more than I had the opportunity to buy it for 15 months ago.

What is your opinion on that though?

Craftsman
    Not sure I need bother posts of my lovely new watch, this thread appears way off topic to one I had intended - doh