closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Non-watch-nerds and you.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Do any under 40 year olds own a Rolex? Yes of course they do. Do they make up the majority of Rolex owners. I would imagine not. So my sound engineer pal probably has a point don't you think?

PS - I'm certainly not a Rolex hater!!!!
    My conclusion- you need a new sound engineer😄
    Kidding aside, I interact with youngsters all day long and believe me, they would all love to own a Rolex if they could afford one. There are quite a few who actually have one.
    As a side note, two of them started their forays in WISdom very recently with Speedies.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Also true to one degree or another for all brands? And especially for brands which cost an awful lot more than £49.99
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Nomos have a notably youthful ownership demographic. I'll try and dig out a source for this....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    An average person may not have an expendable income enough to be able to afford a Rolex at a younger age.
    Hence, it may not be a function of age but economics.
    I have seen plenty of what I consider to be young people sporting a Rolex.
    Youngsters from certain demographics are more likely to be aware of Rolex and what it means in terms of watch ownership.
    I agree with this.

Statistical (or anecdotal) evidence of ownership is not evidence of causation.

My conclusion- you need a new sound engineer
    He's so good I'm hiring him to engineer some gigs in Malta in May. Do they have Rolex AD's in Malta?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Why?

Do you feel stupid for eating a nice steak when a vegetarian says they don't get it?

An imperfect analogy, maybe, but if we were put off our hobbies by people who neither know nor care about them then everyone would spend their days watching BBC News 24.

Whether someone who doesn't know about watches can differentiate between cheap and expensive is completely irrelevant. If you can appreciate the superior quality and craftsmanship of one over the other then who gives a monkeys what anyone else says?
    Absolutely. We have both had piss take comments from acquaintances about how much we've spent on watches or how they're not worth that just to tell the time but usually we just wind them up back, right?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Are you saying the only way to measure someone's (or someone's wife's!) ability to assess quality in any walk of life, is to have them compare luxury men's wristwatches?
    I typed 'evidently not' rather than your detailed, slightly ranty, over-the-top paragraph.

To be fair to my new sound engineer pal, whose done a fantastic job on my new music project by the way, I would imagine the demographic data of Rolex ownership unequivocally supports his suggestion that Rolex are owned by the older Gentleman. I'd be interested to see any credible data that disputes this.
    I think you could make the same argument for any quality (OK, more expensive!) watch brand though.

Older people tend to have more disposable income, it's that simple.

My reference to 'celebs' was an indication that younger people with the funds seem to like Rolex too, but it seems I have to discount this demographic as 'unrepresentative' and take the word of someone with no experience of the brands he damns and praises...

Anyway, I don't think anyone's questioning the sound engineer's ability to record sound well (well, I'm not, I wouldn't know where to start and I may well not ever have heard anything he's recorded, but clearly having no knowledge or experience is no bar to assessing the quality of watches, so maybe I can?).

M.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I think you could make the same argument for any quality (OK, more expensive!) watch brand though.

Older people tend to have more disposable income, it's that simple.

My reference to 'celebs' was an indication that younger people with the funds seem to like Rolex too, but it seems I have to discount this demographic as 'unrepresentative' and take the word of someone with no experience of the brands he damns and praises...

Anyway, I don't think anyone's questioning the sound engineer's ability to record sound well (well, I'm not, I wouldn't know where to start and I may well not ever have heard anything he's recorded, but clearly having no knowledge or experience is no bar to assessing the quality of watches, so maybe I can?).

M.
    Not wishing to flog this particular conversation to death but there are many 'ultra premium' brands that are predominantly owned by older people (cos they are normally the ones that have the money to buy them) but which I would suggest are not perceived by the general public to be old farty.

Look at Ferrari. I'm sure, like Rolex, they are mostly owned by wealthy older people but their brand is not, as far as I am aware, associated with the older gentleman. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I doubt my sound engineer 'everyman barometer' pal would describe Ferrari owners as 'old men'.

Well it's getting flogged, but I remain unconvinced that Rolex is perceived as an old man's brand except (on the evidence provided) by someone with no knowledge of the subject.

It would be like me commenting on the relative coolness of contemporary bands or how brands of motorcycles are viewed, worthless...

It's rather odd to find myself portrayed as defensive about the Rolex brand as I neither own nor covet any of their watches, I just can't comprehend how someone with no knowledge or experience of watches is being portrayed as representative of the general view...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 3rd March 2016 at 23:41.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Well it's getting flogged, but I remain unconvinced that Rolex is perceived as an old man's brand except (on the evidence provided) by someone with no knowledge of the subject.

It would be like me commenting on the relative coolness of contemporary bands or how brands of motorcycles are viewed, worthless...

It's rather odd to find myself portrayed as defensive about the Rolex brand as I neither own nor covet any of their watches, I just can't randcomprehend how someone with no knowledge or experience of watches is being portrayed as representative of the general view...

M
    It's the fact that he has no knowledge of the subject that makes his opinion valid in a funny kind of way. He is non WIS and as such I'd suggest his is closer to the average person's perception of watches and watch brands than you or I could ever be. I was genuinely shocked to hear him refer to Rolex as an old man's brand but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

Mmmm. Well I'm surprised.

His view certainly seems at odds with the recognition level of Rolex as a brand in the wider public.

We'll have to agree to disagree but his view strikes me as unrepresentative and largely irrelevant, except as a personal view.

Perhaps you should have asked him about Ferrari too :)

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Mmmm. Well I'm surprised.

His view certainly seems at odds with the recognition level of Rolex as a brand in the wider public.

We'll have to agree to disagree but his view strikes me as unrepresentative and largely irrelevant, except as a personal view.

Perhaps you should have asked him about Ferrari too :)

M
    Rolex is unquestionably a recognised brand amongst the general public. That says nothing about how old their owners are perceived to be by that same public.

I will ask him what he thinks about the Ferrari brand when a suitable opportunity arises.

For what it's worth, before I started doing what I love for a living, my background was marketing (communications and strategies).

Craftsman
    Non- watch nerds reactions to different brands-

Invictas- Oooh and Aaahs
    Rolex - Hmmm or is it real?
    Seikos- yuck! A Seiko??
    Orient- so much better than a Planet Ocean
    Breitling- Nice! What brand is it?
    Patek/ALS/JLC- nice Michael Kors
    Tag- Dude, you have arrived!
    Chortle

Craftsman

It's rather odd to find myself portrayed as defensive about the Rolex brand as I neither own nor covet any of their watches, I just can't comprehend how someone with no knowledge or experience of watches is being portrayed as representative of the general view...

M
    I remember talking to friends about this a few years ago. It just came up in pub talk, I didn't bring it up.

The general sentiment was that none of them would know a Rolex without reading the name on the dial. I pointed out that the watch I was wearing was a Rolex Datejust and a couple of them just said something along the lines of it being an old man watch.

From what they said, it was the look of a machined bezel Datejust rather than the perception they had of all Rolex watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    I remember talking to friends about this a few years ago. It just came up in pub talk, I didn't bring it up.

The general sentiment was that none of them would know a Rolex without reading the name on the dial. I pointed out that the watch I was wearing was a Rolex Datejust and a couple of them just said something along the lines of it being an old man watch.

From what they said, it was the look of a machined bezel Datejust rather than the perception they had of all Rolex watches.
    That seems perfectly sensible and I'd agree that SOME models do look rather 'old-manish'.

At least they had some idea what they were talking about, though

M.

At least they had some idea what they were talking about, though

M.
    Is this a reference to my sound engineer pal? If so I'd once again suggest that his opinion, as a non-WIS member of the general public, is a valid one.

Him thinking that Rolex is a brand for old men is his opinion. You can't really accuse him of not knowing what he is talking about since he, like everybody else, has an opinion on common/well known brands. It's not a case of being right and wrong. There is no right and wrong answer.

His suggestion that Tag are a 'worthy' product/brand most likely speaks to the massive efforts Tag goes to associate the brand with certain brand ambassadors. It's difficult to think of Tag without conjuring up an image of Leo De Cap looking youthful and awesome.

Until I read this^^^^ I couldn't have named a single Tag brand ambassador. I guess I'm not concentrating enough

Until I read this^^^^ I couldn't have named a single Tag brand ambassador. I guess I'm not concentrating enough
    He's normally to be found in lifestyle magazines, on billboards or on AD windows next to a massive picture of a Carrera.

Journeyman
    Brad Pitt, Walter White :)

Blog Entries
    He's normally to be found on billboards or AD windows next to a massive picture of a Carrera.
    Is he the one doing something weird with his fist?

Is this a reference to my sound engineer pal? If so I'd once again suggest that his opinion, as a non-WIS member of the general public, is a valid one.

Him thinking that Rolex is a brand for old men is his opinion. You can't really accuse him of not knowing what he is talking about since he, like everybody else, has an opinion on common/well known brands. It's not a case of being right and wrong. There is no right and wrong answer.

His suggestion that Tag are a 'worthy' product/brand most likely speaks to the massive efforts Tag goes to associate the brand with certain brand ambassadors. It's difficult to think of Tag without conjuring up an image of Leo De Cap looking youthful and awesome.
    It was a reference to the fact that they'd seen the watch they were passing judgement on.

Your mate is fully entitled to his opinion, of course, but it helps to have something substantial form an opinion from.

M

Are you over 30? That's how tag would like it if that is the case.

It was a reference to the fact that they'd seen the watch they were passing judgement on.

Your mate is fully entitled to his opinion, of course, but it helps to have something substantial form an opinion from.

M
    How do you know my sound engineer pal hasn't seen products from Rolex and Tag?

How do you know my sound engineer pal hasn't seen products from Rolex and Tag?
    Perhaps he has, but that wasn't my point.

They were passing comment on a specific watch, not making sweeping generalisations.

You did, though, say the only brand he'd heard of that he thought was worth anything was TAG, you didn't say he'd seen watches from these brands, but if he has, fine, I don't think it matters as you didn't say he said "The Datejust is an old man's watch", but said Rolexes were for old men.

The point is not whether he's entitled to his view (right or wrong), but that he seems (although you're presenting, possibly, a different scenario now) to come from a position of limited knowledge and experience.

He might well believe Rolex watches are just for old men, but (as with my Mercedes comparison) it doesn't mean his view is correct or widely held. He's a sample of one.

I just asked my 23 year law student daughter to name some watch brands, the second (after Tissot which is the only watch she owns) was Rolex, so your engineer now represents a middle aged view of Rolexes, counter to educated young non-WIS.

What does that tell us? Absolutely nothing... like his view that TAGs are the ONLY watches worth anything AND Rolex watches only appeal to old men...

If anyone wants to believe every person under 50 thinks Rolexes are for old people, I don't really care as I don't have any strong feelings about Rolexes, but I do think its a little strange to put so much faith in the views of one person with opinions that don't seem that representative...

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 4th March 2016 at 11:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Are you over 30? That's how tag would like it if that is the case.
    Ah, right. And when I was under thirty every penny of disposable income went on booze. I know George Clooney is Omega because I found myself facing huge picture of him on Oxford St. I know who Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Rafa Nadal and Andy Murray represent, because I've wasted even more of my life on tennis than I have on watches.

Oh and I know John McEnroe advertised those bizarre Titanium and Gold Omegas that don't seem to get mentioned much these days:

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Why are you now a "non-watch-nerd"?

I became a non-watch-nerd the day I realised I was happy owning only two £30 Timex's that I look at solely to tell the time, and when the other areas of the forum became more interesting than Watch Talk.

Ah, right. And when I was under thirty every penny of disposable income went on booze.
    LMVH have been pretty open that they want Tag Heuer to be the entry level brand which the young worker buying his first watch goes to and then they move onto other business units/brands in the family. Although they still do some higher end ones for older customers, it's not where the focus is.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    I became a non-watch-nerd the day I realised I was happy owning only two £30 Timex's that I look at solely to tell the time, and when the other areas of the forum became more interesting than Watch Talk.
    Crumbs.

I seem to be going the other way: even if I did only own the Timex shown, I'd still be interested in watches. In fact, I seem more interested in horology than the watches themselves. Probably.

He's so good I'm hiring him to engineer some gigs in Malta in May. Do they have Rolex AD's in Malta?
    There's Edwards Lowell in Zachary Street in Valletta - never dealt with them - also in the same street the Swiss Watch Club who deal in used Rolex. They are nice guys, occasionally have bargains but I winced recently at the steel/gold Oysterquartz, badly polished with rounded edges, for just short of €5k.

IMO Malta isn't the best place for keenly priced retail therapy.

More importantly, which visiting band is playing in May?

Adrian

Adrian[/QUOTE]

I'm playing with a David Bowie tribute at the University Theatre :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sirksael View Post
    A while ago I placed a Omega dark side of the moon, Tudor Pelagos and an Orient Mako next to each other and asked my wife which she thought to be the most expensive.
    She chose the Orient.
    Fortunately we buy watches for ourselves, not for others...
    Sell the orient and buy another Omega or Tudor then. Tell her you got change for that.

Adrian
    I'm playing with a David Bowie tribute at the University Theatre :-)[/QUOTE]
    I'll be on the Rock for most of May - would like to come to that if I'm around.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I'm playing with a David Bowie tribute at the University Theatre :-)
    I'll be on the Rock for most of May - would like to come to that if I'm around.[/QUOTE]

Cool. There are two dates, 20th and 21st May :-)

EDIT: WTF has happened to the quote function??

Blog Entries
    EDIT: WTF has happened to the quote function??
    I think it's working ok in general but a hanging closing tag confuses parsing for display. :-)