closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice sought from a electrician

Craftsman

Advice sought from a electrician

Hi

We had a power failer today and a electrican from a emergency 24 number replaced the main 100A double pole mcb on the consumer unit.

We had a legrand mcb and he fitted a MEM 100A double pole mcb ,like for like expect a switch from another company.

He has stated on the reciept that we should treat it as a temp repair becuase he fitted a switch from another company rather then what came off . we paid £30 for said switch.

Now i can not understand why i need to replace the switch which is the same expect for the name ,he says it will be ok for a week or so but i should get it replaced for which he will charge £50 to fit it for me if i buy it.

So is he talking rubbish and trying it on or is he right ,i thought if its the same rating and type switch and held secure on the back rail how is that a temp repair .

Many thanks in advance .

If it fits in the board and is of the same type and rating then I would tell him to poke it.

Master
    It looks like the electrical rating is the same but it may be that there are differences in the way it sits in your consumer unit and in particular the copper bus-bar. I've had this before when fitting a different brand of mcb into an existing set up.

I would not assume he's ripping you off. The prices he is quoting aren't exactly steep and I suspect he has his reasons.

It won't be a MCB just the main switch disconnector. Sounds harsh but technically he is correct.
    I won't allow a mixture of MCBs/Switch Disconnectors within the same boards on our site.

All to do with the board being certified with certain parts in it. If anything happens with the board when it has non standard parts in it would the manufacturer stand behind it? Probably not I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by scottbombedout View Post
    It won't be a MCB just the main switch disconnector. Sounds harsh but technically he is correct.
    I won't allow a mixture of MCBs/Switch Disconnectors within the same boards on our site.

All to do with the board being certified with certain parts in it. If anything happens with the board when it has non standard parts in it would the manufacturer stand behind it? Probably not I would say.
    Are original MCBs always available for older boards?

Imo mem are a better make than legrand anyway. It will work fine but as stated warrantrys etc
    Will be void if not fitted with all legrand switches and mcb s
    Most old breakers are available. eBay is good for this sort of thing

Craftsman
    He did say that niceic prefer all rcd's and mcb's in the consumer unit to be the same .Note said prefer not require .

However the original Legrand mcb failed and i can't see why i should rush to put another one on as i feel MEM are are better switch anyway.

He switched of the cooker and the immersion off before he left and informed my wife not use anything thats uses to much electricity ?

As i said in my post if the switch is secure in the rail and its the same type and rating he has fitted why is this a temp repair ,i understand why he says its
    preferable to have all swithces from the same manufacturer .

But he informed my wife the job needs to be done in a day or so which is why he left 2 rcd's swithced off ,i have switched them back on now.

When i spoke to him later he said i should aim to get it the job done within a couple of weeks? so is he right or can i wait until a year or so ?

Craftsman
    Our house is 8 years old and this is our 3rd new house and from our experiance house builders don't seem to use the finest materials available ,which makes me wonder should i re fit a new 100A Legrand Mcb .just because the other rcd's are of that make .

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Are original MCBs always available for older boards?
    No and boards are routinely changed for either that reason or the fact that RCBOs aren't available for older boards.

Craftsman
    I can only see used legrand mcb's on ebay .

Quote Originally Posted by scottbombedout View Post
    No and boards are routinely changed for either that reason or the fact that RCBOs aren't available for older boards.
    Seems a shame that there isn't a standardised design and there might be a £200 expense when a £10 part fails (just guessing at prices here).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I would have quoted for a full consumer unit change, at £720 inc materials and VAT, seriously.

^ can't seem to quote, this would now require a metal clad consumer unit for a domestics property as from the end of Jan 2016 if memory serves.
    To the OP I assume it is a 100A double pole switch you are referring to, my advise use a insulated screw driver, check fixing screws are secure to bus bar and mains tails, then all should be fine, I would say these weren't renowned for going faulty, most issues are down to loose connections / arcing.
    Last edited by geran; 16th February 2016 at 19:57.

Craftsman
    Having read the posts here as well as speaking to a electrician ,I think I will just buy the Legrand 100a mcb and get it fitted in the near future.

The regulations are always changing and its better to be on the right side of them ,plus as has already been mentioned here ,the switch might be discontinued later and then I might be forced to upgrade the consumer unit.

Can I a non electrician replace the switch or must I get a electrician to do it .it looks a simple 15 min job .

Craftsman
    Post a picture up if you can. Sounds like the mem replacement isn't compatible with the distribution board and he may of not been able to connect up the original busbar hence not allowing for the loads of the cooker etc.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    ^ can't seem to quote, this would now require a metal clad consumer unit for a domestics property as from the end of Jan 2016 if memory serves.
    To the OP I assume it is a 100A double pole switch you are referring to, my advise use a insulated screw driver, check fixing screws are secure to bus bar and mains tails, then all should be fine, I would say these weren't renowned for going faulty, most issues are down to loose connections / arcing.
    1st Jan 2016 17th edition 3rd amendment dictated that all new consumer units fitted after this date had to be metal enclosures, among some other little changes.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    1st Jan 2016 17th edition 3rd amendment dictated that all new consumer units fitted after this date had to be metal enclosures, among some other little changes.
    Who knew that sparkies are now librarians....