closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Poor Richemont Group!

Journeyman

Poor Richemont Group!

Feel sorry for the group as they have just announced a disappointing fourth quarter, sales fell by 4% as demand for watches slumped.

Revenues for the company stood at £2.22 Billion, last year it was £2.15 Billion.

You have got to weep for them !!

Aren't their cash reserves something like $5 billion?

The smartwatch crisis takes its first victim

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    The smartwatch crisis takes its first victim
    Nope!
    A lot of luxury good makers have announced a really disappointing 2nd half of 2015 results. Bentley ,Rolls Royce and a lot of luxury designer makes. Its to do with teh economic slowdown especially in China where the lion share of luxury goods growth has been.

Not just an economic slowdown but also rules on anti-bribery/corruption.

There is always someone watching and a public servant of the Communist Party really shouldn't be knocking about in a Breguet Tourbillon...

Journeyman
    i don't know what Rolex sales have been like, possibly down? And then they decide to have a price increase.......was it 7% extra in Europe?

Serves them right, because they are too expensive and I can't afford them

Journeyman
    I'm not the biggest fan of Rolex but i wont say no to one if one landed on my lap!

Why do you keep mentioning Rolex? The thread is about Richemont Group.

Curious as to why people are overjoyed that a large watch company has had a profit reduction. Is this a watch-hating site now?

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post

Curious as to why people are overjoyed that a large watch company has had a profit reduction. Is this a watch-hating site now?
    Perhaps it is because of the comments made by the CEO a while back which personally I think we're completely missinterperated.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Perhaps it is because of the comments made by the CEO a while back which personally I think we're completely missinterperated.
    Are you referring to the IWC CEO?

I personally think that alot of the Richemont brands, such as IWC, Panerai, their price increases are just too aggressive.

Master
    I was under the impression that IWC had lowered some of their prices; as have Patek and possibly other manufacturers. You have only to read the Deloittes 2015 report to understand why.

It's tough out there, and getting tougher.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I was under the impression that IWC had lowered some of their prices; as have Patek and possibly other manufacturers. You have only to read the Deloittes 2015 report to understand why.

It's tough out there, and getting tougher.
    Errrr no. Patek only did a currency adjustments. In the UK it went down on some models but in EU and Japan for example prices went up.

Not sure which results the O/P is referring to here?;

https://www.richemont.com/images/inv...5_k2d8en3w.pdf

Craftsman
    Swatch Group is down 13%.

So, do we hold a party now, or do wait for LVMH's results before we start dancing in the streets?

Regards,
    Adam

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craniotes View Post
    Swatch Group is down 13%.

So, do we hold a party now, or do wait for LVMH's results before we start dancing in the streets?

Regards,
    Adam
    LVMH announced their results. Watches up 8%. JCB effect at Tag?

Master

A very English thing?

Envy of someone or something else's success, rather than finding their own.
    Then finding pleasure in the same someone or something else's downturn / misfortune.

I'm not saying everyone exhibits this behaviour, but it is a common trait.
    At least that's what I have observed

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    LVMH announced their results. Watches up 8%. JCB effect at Tag?
    Well, there goes the party... :-(

Regards,
    Adam

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Envy of someone or something else's success, rather than finding their own.
    Then finding pleasure in the same someone or something else's downturn / misfortune.

I'm not saying everyone exhibits this behaviour, but it is a common trait.
    At least that's what I have observed
    I'm not English but I do hate seeing people do well. Mainly because my own life sucks and I'm a massive disappointment to myself.

Master
    Figured it was partially down to the nosedive in the Chinese markets as well as values of oil being slashed as well. Suddenly a lot less disposable income in that 'demographic' as there was 12 months ago!

Master
    Mostly due to a contraction of the Far East and US markets, as well as the Swiss Franc no longer artificially pegged against the Euro.
    In other news, the UK is up, especially at the £500-1000 level, and broke through the 1B CHF worth of sales mark, for the first time – pretty much on a par with what China has dropped to.

http://www.watchpro.com/uk-heads-for...ales-for-2015/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    I'm not English but I do hate seeing people do well. Mainly because my own life sucks and I'm a massive disappointment to myself.

Love the English mentality sometimes!

Grand Master
    Excellent
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Its a watch lovers site. Not the money grabbing greedy watch maker lovers site.

Master
    Ha ha ha. Tremendous. Reminds me of the great Gore Vidal-ism: "Every time a friend succeeds something inside me dies".

Why do you keep mentioning Rolex?
    Vahalis's law: As an WIS discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Rolex or a Rolex model approaches 1"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post
    Its a watch lovers site. Not the money grabbing greedy watch maker lovers site.
    So other watch makers don't try and make as much as possible off their products, brand image and reputation?
    How naive, or is it just envy that certain manufacturers better at the game?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vahalis View Post
    Vahalis's law: As an WIS discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Rolex or a Rolex model approaches 1"
    <chortle>

Master
    It has been a while since I spoke with any of my ex-colleagues within the Richemont Group so I can't really offer any insight into what is currently working for them and what is not, but the situation back in 2008 (from the perspective of watches and the brands I was closest to) was as follows:

Cartier - strong range but perhaps lacking in sportier models to challenge Omega/Rolex
    JLC - steady as she goes
    Vacheron - steady as she goes
    Baume et Mercier - bit of a problem child
    Montblanc - need to raise the game with in-house movements and higher-end offerings

Interesting to see that Cartier and Montblanc seem to have followed the plan. B&M have done well with the Clifton range and have also had a big shake up recently of their AD network but still have something of an identity crisis, IMO.

SGR

Obviously its not nice when a company has a profit reduction however it makes interesting times. When the credit crunch came along in 07/08 as Western demand fell , it was more than compensated with from soaring trade in the Far East etc and coupled with huge price increases the luxury watch.goods market weathered the storm very well and boomed. Along with a roaring trade in the Far East , large prices increases (most Swiss watches have almost doubled since 2007/8) and watches becoming bigger and more flashy .

Now thats all changes with the downturn in the Far East what will be now? the FarEast helped the luxury watch industry boom after the Western downturn in 07/08.

Will this mean more innovation with watches? Relax their grip on the grey market? Release cheaper models/watches?