closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex 16610 - what premium unworn?

Master

Rolex 16610 - what premium unworn?

Am increasingly wondering if I need to scratch the itch of owning my first Rolex given I've found myself looking at them more and more of late. I've slim wrists so the older models appeal hence my potentially settling on the non ceramic version as the iconic Rolex of sorts and cheaper to repair etc.
    I like to keep my watches in really good shape and I've been looking at an unworn example and wondering what premium this should carry over a used model in very good condition. I'm guessing I'll drop a grand if I were to remove the stickers etc so does that mean unworn examples make more financial sense for investment purposes?
    Looking at past sales etc late random number examples seemed to be c£3-4k just a few years ago and are >£5k now so thinking I need to buy sooner rather than later!
    Any observations welcome thanks.

Don't pay a premium for a watch you are going to de-sticker and wear surely.

Master
    Buy a good used Sub, pay £500 ish to have it serviced and polished up by Rolex and it will be in the same condition as the unused watch.

Only thing is that you have saved yourself a packet.

Regards

Mick

I prefer the 16610 and managed to get one last April (NOS 2010 random serial number) - for guidance, I paid £5,200.00.

Grand Master
    Buy a used one with a case in good condition (no significant dings or deep scratches across the edges). A watch with normal fine scratches from everyday wear will refinish to 'as new' condition. Scratches to the bezel can usually be polished out, and the Oyster bracelets refinish easily. A replacement bezel insert can be fitted if that's not perfect.

Look around for something that can be brought back to virtually mint condition with a standard service and refinish and factor this cost into the price paid. Not all watches will fit the bill, once they're badly battered they're never the same again after refinishing. A simple point that folks overlook.

I wouldn`t want to pay silly money for the 'new unworn' experience.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot2008 View Post
    I prefer the 16610 and managed to get one last April (NOS 2010 random serial number) - for guidance, I paid £5,200.00.
    Wow!

Journeyman
    that sounds like a Rolex you would lose on.

Craftsman
    Originally Posted by Pilot2008 View Post

Do you plan to put it away or are you going to wear it?
    Last edited by groyn; 27th January 2016 at 21:27.

I wouldn't pay any premium if you intend to wear it.

Last year I bought a 16610LV, at what I thought was fair market price (5k), which wasn't sold as NOS but essentially was - virtually no marks at all. Fast forward six months of daily wear and it has a lot of small swirls. Just get it serviced and polished to new condition, instead of paying a huge premium for something which will wear off faster than you think.

Journeyman
    For me I'd pay £2k less and get one without a box and papers

I'm wearing it. I was very close to buying a 2005 16610 for £4K but it was reserved before I made the decision - £1,200 more is not a huge amount for NOS.

Master
    Glorious SD for £5300 on SD. Why pay silly money for a Sub when the SD is a minter.
    Last edited by mrushton; 27th January 2016 at 21:54.

Master
    Thanks all as pretty much confirm my thoughts. Pricewise this is c£5500 and I think I'm tempted just because it is essentially a new watch but without the multi year warranty obviously. I'm aware my Rolex knowledge is limited so assessing a less than mint example is more tricky but I can see me investing more time rather than more money in learning and finding the a decent one. A trip to a major city is probably required.

The Schiphol thread was interesting too but it's clearly not always that easy!

Journeyman
    Again these can be picked up for under £4K pay for a service and have a minter for £4400

Master
    Choosing the Sub date over the SD because of comfort and weight.

Journeyman
    Again these (SD) can be picked up for under £4K pay for a service and have a minter for £4400

Master
    07Deadpool
    Again these can be picked up for under £4K pay for a service and have a minter for £4400
    Noted the first time thanks and not overlooking that option. Just wondering what the premium was really.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Noted the first time thanks and not overlooking that option. Just wondering what the premium was really.
    I wouldn't pay over £4K for a 16610 and over £5k is crazy IMO! I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for unworn...as soon as you put it on you lose all that premium...and for what? £3.5k to £4K is where these are. As pointed out already, a Rolex service will bring any watch up to new.

My intention was to buy pre-owned but the examples I viewed (at dealers) were all priced over £4K and if you factor in a service at £500 - then a £700 premium for a NOS example is a reasonable deal IMO.

Journeyman
    Dealers will be dearer. Check places like chrono 24 and eBay for private sales. I think many of the nos will just be complete sets serviced by and independent.

Although NOS, it is quite an old watch now. So maybe the movement needs a service given the movement has sat still and the oils have changed. I would price that it

At £5650 including a service, it is not such a great buy, IMHO. Great watch, but not worth that much

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Although NOS, it is quite an old watch now. So maybe the movement needs a service given the movement has sat still and the oils have changed. I would price that it

At £5650 including a service, it is not such a great buy, IMHO. Great watch, but not worth that much
    Exactly. You can pretty much get SubC for that and a few more pounds will get a new 116610LV.

jambobbyb
    Last edited by jambobbyb; 21st May 2019 at 19:13.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jambobbyb View Post
    I would buy second hand but go for one in great condition with the B&P and buy one off here, if you have cash ready to pay it puts you in a good position dealing with sellers on here and hold out for the one. Picked up a full set 16610 for just over 3k last month they are out there at reasonable prices.
    Thanks as that demonstrates the premium quite starkly. Much appreciated all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I've slim wrists so the older models appeal hence my potentially settling on the non ceramic version as the iconic Rolex of sorts and cheaper to repair etc.
    Have you tried an older Sub on? If you have <7" wrists you may well find that the bracelet is too large, even when set at its smallest possible setting. I know I do.

The new ceramic bracelets are fine (different link setup and clasp) so with that in mind I'd recommend you check out the ceramic Sub with no date, the 114060 or the 116610 date version.