closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car insurance recommendation

Master

Car insurance recommendation

Hello Gents,

I just won a 1995 e38 BMW 740i on ebay can you please recommend a car insurance company.

My current insurer (sainsburys) insures my 2005 Merc C220 CDI for £315 a year (The Merc Gearbox died after 255,000 miles hence the new car).

Siansburys have just quoted £670 a year for less cover.

The cover on the merc is Fully comp, Full protected no claims, Business cover, Full green flag breakdown (came in handy when the gearbox went on the merc 70 miles from home) the mrs as a second driver.

I have reduced the mileage from 50,000 miles per year to 8,000 miles per year as I now have a job much closer to home, I also dropped the green flag cover and the car is now commute miles only as I am now office based.

Could the car be insured as a classic car? I am 48, held a full licence for 30 years and have had no accidents or convictions (bar a driver awareness course I completed last year for speeding).

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

All the best
    Steve

You could try Go Compare or similar comparison sites?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Tesco halfed my insurance last year, I was with a local Irish company before that... From £420 to £217..

Master
    Comparison sites are ok but you need to do your research as inevitably the quality of product and service can suffer if you go for the cheapest....

Try Admiral with a telephone call after you've got an idea what you want to pay.

Whilst the annual premium will always go up on initial notification a quick call will always get it down to a very comparable level and the excellent customer service I have always received and easy ability to speak to a human goes a long way for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    You could try Go Compare or similar comparison sites?
    That is my recommendation too. I saved a fortune going online. For example, I had my low mileage Mini Cooper S insured fully comp, protected and with 16 years NCD it was only £105 a year compared to Mini's quote of over £350!!

I've seen friends save hundreds of pounds too. One company to avoid is the company I'm currently insured with who are Quote Me Happy as they are an online only insurer. I saved a good amount but never again.

The best way to avoid increased premiums after the initial year is to never stay with the same company (unless the renewal quote cannot be improved on). Go online and try the comparison web sites who are all vying for your business.
    Last edited by j111dja; 3rd January 2016 at 23:14.

I've found the Admiral group consistently the cheapest, never had a fault claim though so couldn't recommend them that way.

Master
    LV. They're not only typically very competitive, they do well in customer reviews and are for example 'Which?' and HonestJohn recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post
    Tesco halfed my insurance last year, I was with a local Irish company before that... From £420 to £217..
    I found Tesco much cheaper than my old insurers.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    I run my renewal through confused.com each year. When you get the results, ignore the first half dozen names at the top which will be cheapest as will all be firms you will never of heard of. Scroll down until you hit a name you recognise and choose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    LV. They're not only typically very competitive, they do well in customer reviews and are for example 'Which?' and HonestJohn recommended.

Tesco, LV and the Post Office have been my insurers up until this last year via Compare The Market. Great quotes. Some do give you the option of cash back as well which does sweeten the deal.

Master
    Totally agree with that I have the house and both cars with them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This, LV have been cheapest for me for 4 years, their renewals tend to match the comparison site prices in my experience. They also bumped SWMB's no claims from 3 to 9 years (or whatever their max is) when we got her car and provided the best price we could find.

Craftsman
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/

I follow the above every year and generally manage to save some cash. Also don't forget Topcashback as between us we've had £185 back in insurance cash back on three policies this year.

I found this too back in April, they were considerably cheaper for both of my cars. Whether this was just an introductory discount to get people on the books who knows.

Master
    For what it's worth I've been with Tesco for 5 years now (I think). Not sure if all policies have same underwriters, but we have had nothing but positive experiences with them. 2012 Mrs KurtKlaus reversed into neighbours car, last year someone rear ended her and we had a brand new Ford Kuga for a couple of weeks while the knackered X3 was being fixed. In both situations they have positively surprised me and everyone I've had on the phone has been helpful.

Master

Thanks

Gents,

Thank you all so much for such a great response.

I have fed all the relevant info back to Mrs RevolvingJones and she will get the insurance sorted for me.

All the best

Steve

I've always gone for the cheapest but obviously insurance companies show their cards when it comes to a claim. Having had my Land Rover stolen just before Christmas I have to say ADMIRAL have been TOTALLY CR@P so far. That's all really.

Craftsman
    Adrian Flux for the last 10years they are never the cheapest but get really good cover a when I did need to claim a few years back were amazing compared to TESCO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I've found the Admiral group consistently the cheapest, never had a fault claim though so couldn't recommend them that way.
    I had a fault claim with Admiral and it was handled quickly and without fuss.