closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recomend a good watch repairer.

Journeyman

Recomend a good watch repairer.

Hi Guys

Ales from Wales here.

Bit of a sensitive post this, however, as some of you might know, my friend and watch repairer Mike from Tower House Clocks passed away. A great and very trustworthy guy!

Therefore I am in need of a reputable fixer!

I am based in north East Wales... So the closer , the better.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Ales from Wales.

Do you ever come down south? There is a fab independent in Swansea, 'Chimes' of Mumbles.

Journeyman
    Hi Guys

Looking for more replies please regarding watch repairers.

As you know my local watchman, Mike Thomas sadly passed away, however, I did have 2 watches in need of repair work and a couple more in need of service.

Please, any information would be of great help!!

Many thanks.

Ales from Wales.

Craftsman
    Not sure about East Wales, but I am in London and I post them to Stephen Burrage in Leicester at Ryte Time and he has been very good so far:

http://www.rytetimewatchrepairs.co.uk/

Just call him up and ask if he works on the watch you want repairing, send it by Special Delivery, you'll get a call with an estimate, then another call telling you it's repaired, pay by Bank Transfer and get your watch back by Special Delivery with a 6 month guarantee. Simple and Steve does a good job.

Grand Master
    It may help if the OP states what watches he's looking to get fixed, and what the problems are. Some folks on here (myself included) are happy to take on some jobs but not others.

Paul

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    It may help if the OP states what watches he's looking to get fixed, and what the problems are. Some folks on here (myself included) are happy to take on some jobs but not others.

Paul

Journeyman
    Hi Paul

Many thanks for the reply

The most important watch here is my great grandfather white faces Waltham USA pocket watch about 5 " in size.

Silver cased key wind up, however, no tension when trying to wind up therefore I assume the spring has snapped.

Inside case info.
    Capital D
    Lion
    Anchor
    A.L.D

Nubner569727.

Hope this is of help to you.

Mike did a terrific job in getting this going, and hope to get it working again.

Many thank for your reply.

Ales.

Grand Master
    Not sue who I`d recommend for this......it's a bit out of my league. Be sure to fond someone who knows about pocket watches.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    Not sure about East Wales, but I am in London and I post them to Stephen Burrage in Leicester at Ryte Time and he has been very good so far:

http://www.rytetimewatchrepairs.co.uk/

Just call him up and ask if he works on the watch you want repairing, send it by Special Delivery, you'll get a call with an estimate, then another call telling you it's repaired, pay by Bank Transfer and get your watch back by Special Delivery with a 6 month guarantee. Simple and Steve does a good job.
    Seconded....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Seconded....
    Steve is a good bloke, but I am not sure if he'll work on the above watch, best to give him a call, he can only say no...

Craftsman
    Joe Horner at Anglesey Watch and Clock is in that part of the world.
    I've not used him, but he posts over on watchuseek in the watchmaking forum and seems knowledgeable and straight up.
    Might be worthy of a visit in person.

Dave

I would definitely speak to Rocco at

http://www.watchworks.co.uk/about-us.html

Journeyman
    Many many thanks for all the replies.

I will try and contact the chap in Anglesey as it's only about an hours drive.

Thanks.

Ales from Wales

I will be very interested to hear how you get on Ales. I don't know anyone else locally.

There is a bloke in Beaumaris who has clocks in his shop, never found him to be any thing other than surly/unhelpful though.
    Pob lwc.
    Last edited by sestrel; 11th November 2015 at 20:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Joe Horner at Anglesey Watch and Clock is in that part of the world.
    I've not used him, but he posts over on watchuseek in the watchmaking forum and seems knowledgeable and straight up.
    Might be worthy of a visit in person.

Dave
    This.

Although I am a watchmaker I am in a different part of the world. Joe is a good guy and he is near you so perfect.

Journeyman

Re Waltham Pocket Watch

Hi All

Thanks to Dave S's advice, sent my great grandfather's watch to Mr Joe Honer at Anglesey Watches and Clocks.....By the way, I have no connection to this company, I just need a local ish watch repairer after the sad passing away of my local watchmaker, Mike at Tower House.

Ok, sent the watch to Mr Honer on the 12th November, received back this morning with new main spring....Seems to be working fine.

What really impressed me is that he very politely bothered to phone me to inform me he had received the watch and gave me an estimated time of repair/delivery!!!!

So there we are, first impression's excellent, and good to know that there is some one, well sort, local. However, I do have some more complicated projects to sent to him!!!!!!!!! Ha...Ha..So will keep you updated on progress..

Ales from Wales.

Craftsman
    Always nice to get some feedback on how things go

Dave

Apprentice
    How-do fellas.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Another big thumbs up for Joe Horner at Anglesey Watches and Clocks.

My 38mm Cartier Pasha Chronograph was well overdue a service after 10 years and I baulked at the £535 Cartier wanted for a Maintenance Service and a polish, not to mention the indifferent reviews Cartiers after-sales department gets. However, after reading several recommendations on here and other forums I decided to give Anglesey Watches & Clocks a try.

Before posting the watch off to Joe, I had a lengthy phone call with him whilst he patiently explained what work he expected to have to carry out and how long he expected that work to take.

Throughout, Joes communication with me was first class concerning progress with the watch. It was delivered back to me within the specified time and within the agreed budget. Personally I thought £140 for a replacement shock protection spring, a full service and a polish was very good value for money. I'll certainly be using Joe's services again in the near future on my various other watches.

So, in a nutshell, spot on service from Joe Horner at Anglesey Watches & Clocks.

Craftsman
    I've just spoken to Joe too and my wife's Cartier Santos and my Speedmaster are on their way to him now.

Looking forward to seeing how he gets on with them.

Cheers
    Rory

Craftsman
    Joe did a cracking job on both watches and probably saved me a fortune on the Cartier in particular, as dealers were telling me that it may need a ‘service’ despite being a quartz! When I spoke to Joe he explained about the very few potential replacement parts required and said he’d let me know. Sure enough as soon as the watch arrived, Joe rang and said it was a simple battery change and re-seal!

The Speedmaster was treated to a full service and and light polish - I’m really happy with the results.

Joe is going to be my ‘go to’ guy for servicing my other watches - very impressed!

Cheers
    Rory