closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Does Wearing Your Rolex Make You Feel Different About Yourself

Hybrid View

^^^

The problem with these topics is the moral "highlanders" who only deal in hypocritical absolutes - women are more honest about how their "expensive" jewellery makes them feel...

I shall give my watch an extra polish and take some air amongst the plebs and enjoy every minute...
    Last edited by 2kilo; 27th October 2015 at 12:48.

^^^
    What's morals got to do with it?
    Nothing wrong with liking nice things, for their attributes (long lasting, better quality, better fit etc.) but having nice things to make yourself feel better?
    A bit like trying to buy happiness, or thinking wearing a trinket makes you better than someone else

I bought a Rolex Submariner after saving for around 2 years. I wore it a for a (short) while, and just didn't "get" it. I'm not sure why, and I know it makes me a filthy casual in the land of WIS. I appreciate the history, heritage, and the fact that many others are Rolex lovers. I just didn't like it, and figured I'd only be pretending just because of those five letters on the dial. So off it went and I don't miss it at all. Odd.

Edit, I should point out I have a Seamster 300 Master coaxial incoming, which gave me all the right tingles in my tingly bits.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    Odd.
    Not really.

What's odd is perhaps that you bought it in the first place though!

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Not really.

What's odd is perhaps that you bought it in the first place though!

You sound like my wife. :p
    But yeah, I think I enjoyed the chase more than the result. Ah well, lesson learnt.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    I went to look at a few "forum darlings", and was so off-beam with the accepted doctrine that I didn't even buy them.
    That's what happened with me and Tudor; don't think I have ever been influenced by hype before (marketing/BS/advertising, sure) but I had to try a Black Bay and Pelagos.

Neither stayed more than a week!

- - - Updated - - -

I think I enjoyed the chase more than the result.
    Probably nail hit on head there. And we have all done that.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    That's what happened with me and Tudor; don't think I have ever been influenced by hype before (marketing/BS/advertising, sure) but I had to try a Black Bay and Pelagos.
    I've been surprised by the success of this. Tudor legged it from the UK market in 2007 and from the US even earlier than that, such was the lack of interest. I really thought that refined discerning wisses would be lining up to empty their clips into the re-launch for all the same reasons that Tudor exited two big Anglo-Saxon markets to begin with. But the hype really has worked.

It also helps that watch prices doubled in the interim, which means a Tudor is now cheaper than a Breitling Colt and not much more than a standard Aquaracer. So intrinsically, given the quality of the build, it's no worse value than anything else on the market. But still...
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master
    I bought a Rolex Submariner after saving for around 2 years. I wore it a for a (short) while, and just didn't "get" it. I'm not sure why, and I know it makes me a filthy casual in the land of WIS. I appreciate the history, heritage, and the fact that many others are Rolex lovers. I just didn't like it, and figured I'd only be pretending just because of those five letters on the dial. So off it went and I don't miss it at all. Odd.
    That you thought it was "odd" probably explains why you bought it in the first place! (being serious)

I felt the same after skipping my may through WIS Levels 2 and 3. I went to look at a few "forum darlings", and was so off-beam with the accepted doctrine that I didn't even buy them.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    ^^^
    Nothing wrong with liking nice things, for their attributes (long lasting, better quality, better fit etc.) but having nice things to make yourself feel better?
    A bit like trying to buy happiness, or thinking wearing a trinket makes you better than someone else
    silly comment - somehow I seem to have bought a lot of happiness [homes, cars, watches, health care, schools, etc]...
    And no my life does not revolve around these items either...
    Last edited by 2kilo; 27th October 2015 at 13:06.

Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    ^^^
    I'm working on the assumption he isn't sad right up until HE PUTS ON HIS ROLEX and then everything is right with the world.

Just that it feels good to have something nice.

I don't see it as anything like your comparisons whatsoever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 2kilo View Post
    The problem with these topics is the moral "highlanders" who only deal in hypocritical absolutes
    Damn right. You'll often find them, on an 'are you influenced by marketing' thread as well.

Dirboxden the harsh/sad reality is that you have to be very careful what you post on this forum.

I dont necessarily mean in regards to grammar/spelling etc but just as important is the content, i have lost count at the amount of times i have wrote lengthy posts only to delete them after careful consideration

The above is especially true when replying to the posts that upset/rile you, replying emotionally and without consideration is exactly what they are aiming for and it will inevitably fuel their fire

One thing i will say is you do need a thick skin around here, dont expect it to be like most other forums where everyone is friendly but this actually, in my opinion this is not a bad thing as advice/opinions can/will be given truthfully and without fear of upsetting feelings

I know that my posts are mainly unintelligent rambles (this has been made painfully clear in the past)!but i hope the above makes some sort of sense and helps to avoid losing someone from the forum with obvious enthusiasm for watches

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Dirboxden the harsh/sad reality is that you have to be very careful what you post on this forum.

I dont necessarily mean in regards to grammar/spelling etc but just as important is the content, i have lost count at the amount of times i have wrote lengthy posts only to delete them after careful consideration

The above is especially true when replying to the posts that upset/rile you, replying emotionally and without consideration is exactly what they are aiming for and it will inevitably fuel their fire

One thing i will say is you do need a thick skin around here, dont expect it to be like most other forums where everyone is friendly but this actually, in my opinion this is not a bad thing as advice/opinions can/will be given truthfully and without fear of upsetting feelings

I know that my posts are mainly unintelligent rambles (this has been made painfully clear in the past)!but i hope the above makes some sort of sense and helps to avoid losing someone from the forum with obvious enthusiasm for watches
    i know your right and what youv said is very ture, look i like a bit of banter the same as the next man but there's banter and then theres just going out your way to try and be cleaver at someone else expense and its that i cant stand, ok i know i can get wound up now and then but its not like im picking on them, but im not going to get sucked into it any more, if someone has a dig at me ill just laugh with him,
    believe it or not i really like the forum, i even like the people and the knowledge they have, i love looking at the photos, iv even bought 2 watches from SC in as many weeks myself,

so i dont want to get banned either, i think it best i keep it claim people mite find my a nice guy if they gave chance...lol
    Last edited by dirboxden; 28th October 2015 at 08:23.

Banned
    OP, I’m not great at golf, but I like to play.

When playing, I really have to take my time and apply a lot of thinking and effort, or I play so badly - I look a fool.

It’s the same with life on a forum. If you’re not that good at posting, you just have to take your time, or it just becomes drivel.

I’ve not read any of your posts really and accordingly I certainly don’t have an angle on you or your personality but just reading that above isn’t good.

Like the golf - take some time and present it well, or maybe forums are not for you?

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    OP, I’m not great at golf, but I like to play.

When playing, I really have to take my time and apply a lot of thinking and effort, or I play so badly - I look a fool.

It’s the same with life on a forum. If you’re not that good at posting, you just have to take your time, or it just becomes drivel.

I’ve not read any of your posts really and accordingly I certainly don’t have an angle on you or your personality but just reading that above isn’t good.

Like the golf - take some time and present it well, or maybe forums are not for you?
    Ha. Being crap at golf is clearly = a learning difficulty, recognised as a disability and covered by the equalities act.

Dyslexics should stay off forums, people with speech impediments shouldn't attempt public speaking, paraplegics should stay away from buses and trains, or like, jobs and stuff.

Unless they're prepared to take their time, and apply a lot of thinking and effort to be less disabled.

There are tools people with dyslexia can use to check their spelling and grammar, but for some, just reading back through what you've written to make the highlighted corrections would be a difficult task in itself, and it just isn't necessary to expect somebody to make that much effort on a bloody watch forum, where their posts are entirely legible as they stand.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    Dyslexics should stay off forums, people with speech impediments shouldn't attempt public speaking, paraplegics should stay away from buses and trains, or like, jobs and stuff.

Unless they're prepared to take their time, and apply a lot of thinking and effort to be less disabled.
    Bit unfair, not like someone can think themselves a new set of legs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post

I hope you are being ironic, but I fear you aren't. If you aren't, you really are a repulsive person.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesy B View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    I hope you are being ironic, but I fear you aren't. If you aren't, you really are a repulsive person.
    I can clearly see he is sticking two fingers up at the people who think you can just correct your disabled behaviour/affliction, suggesting we accept people for who they are, and not expect them to adjust to our world just for our sake.

and I thought it was a cracking post, stating the ridiculous to be understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Janesy B View Post
    That was exactly my point. I shouldn't have to explain this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Crikey. The irony couldn't have been very much more clearly signposted. I genuinely wouldn't have anticipated any more than, say, one in a thousand people could have failed to spot it.

But two came along at once...