closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It was a struggle to get hold of this one... Tudor Black Bay "Black" 7922n

Master

Talking It was a struggle to get hold of this one... Tudor Black Bay "Black" 7922n

A few weeks ago, Tudor announced a one-off watch that was to be auctioned in the "Only Watch" sale in November 2015. As soon as I saw the photos, I knew I wanted one. However, the chances of me being able to afford that particular watch, in that particular auction are probably comparable to me driving my car to the Moon one day. So I kept looking at the photos and wishing. For those that haven't seen it, it looks like this:

(Photo courtesy of here: http://blog.perpetuelle.com/watches/...e-ref-7923001/)

Then, a couple of weeks ago, news broke of the imminent release of the new Black Bay from Tudor. It took design cues from the original, red Black Bay, the "Only Watch" variant, and the original watches from Tudor and Rolex of the 1950s. The full release model has a different dial, hands and bracelet so it's hardly identical, but it's as close as I'll get I thought.

So I set about calling ADs thinking they'll just get one in for me and I'll go and see it. I spoke to my local Goldsmiths who told me they can get one, but if I wanted to see the red one I was welcome. So I took a trip and had a look at the Red Black Bay. I was surprised how much I liked it; in fact I even considered should I buy that model instead of the new version! However I knew I wanted the vintage look of the red triangle etc, so I stuck to my guns. The manager said he'll get one in for me and that was that.

A couple of days passed and I spoke to him again. He sounded less sure that one from the first batch would arrive, so I rang around and spoke to more ADs. They all wanted deposits and I didn't want to go through that. The main reason in my mind was that I had no idea if they'd actually come through with an order, so I could still be waiting weeks etc. It just didn't seem worth it.

Then I called Beaverbrooks not too far from me. The girl there was pleasant and told me she could definitely, definitely get hold of one if I placed a deposit. "There are two available with the Tudor rep so we can definitely secure one...". I went to the store and just before I handed over my money for the deposit, I asked her to call the rep and triple check that I could get one. She did this, and guess what "those two have sold whilst you've been in the shop with us sir". Bla bla bla.

I now knew I wanted a watch that was going to be pretty hard to come by. A true first world problem right?! I called around more ADs and eventually found someone else who said that no deposit is required and we're getting them in at the end of the week so you have first refusal. A couple of days later, I followed this up to be told "we received them this morning and both have sold..."

Finally, yesterday, I found two in stock with ADs and managed to get one sent.

Throughout this process I've been told various things...

"With it being a limited edition sir, I doubt you'll get one without a deposit"
    "They're only being produced for a year sir..."
    "We're getting more in this week, no problem"
    "We won't have any until January..."
    "They won't be in the UK until Mid-November"
    "We've got the new black one in sir... You have?!... Yes a black dial"

It really made me aware of what absolute cr*p these sales people harp on with. They know as little as we do it seems.

What I do believe is that the first batch released was less than 100 in the UK; perhaps around 70. I do think stocks will be limited for a period but I doubt this is a Limited Run as nothing official has been stated regarding this.

So anyway, on to the watch. Here it is, the Tudor Black Bay 7922n:

The watch itself comes in the same packaging as the other Black Bay range. In the box, with this bracelet model I also received a Black Perlon Strap. I haven't removed this from the packaging as I'll probably buy from WatchObsession if I opt for a Perlon anyhow (colour being the reason for me).

The Black Bay is new to me. I've had a couple of Pelagos' but the Black Bay is quite different. No date, a gilt dial, lower price tag than most of its real rivals, good quality all-round and features such as the red triangle and domed crystal just add the finishing touches for me personally. The bracelet only has micr-adjusters but I've managed to find a "perfect" fit on my 6.75" wrist, although removing the links was a little unusual (you have to remove the flip-lock to take all the links out on one side).

The bezel, in matte black looks fantastic. It really does. The red 12 marker also sets of the watch perfectly. The bezel turns solidly and locks in place at the 12 'o clock point, which is nice as I liked that about the Pelagos models.

The watch is thick but coming from an SDc, it's no thicker than that. In fact it wears very nicely. I'm sure it wouldn't bother shirt cuffs too much.

The watch isn't too heavy at all. It's nicely balanced and I feel it wears very well on my wrist. The bracelet angles nicely around my wrist and the large links don't catch any hairs etc. It's very comfortable and very well made.

Comparing it to when I was looking to purchase a 1950s Submariner, the vintage look with this watch is strikingly similar. The Black wears larger than the old sub, it's thicker, and the lume pip is a slightly white colour compared to the patina-look markers and hands, but I really think they've done a great job with this watch. The snowflake hands; well you'll either love or hate them, but I like them, a lot. The hour hand really stands out and helps make more of a unique statement than your usual Submariner-a-likes.

This is a watch at, let's face it, the lower end of the watch pricing points, but yet if you wear it, people that know their watches would still admire your taste. That could be an odd thing to say, but the prices are so astronomical these days, it's nice to see something with real character at a relatively more affordable price-point. It's refreshing in-fact.

Is the Black Bay Black worth its price though? Well that's for you to decide. It's an ETA 2824 movement. To me, that's not a bad thing at all. There are less expensive watches out there with the same movement of course, but for me, if I was ever going to buy something that resembles models of old, I'd want it to come from the manufacturer most closely tied and related. I'm happy with the watch that's for sure.

Finally, the lume. It's green, lights up very strongly at first and then slowly dies down to a constant level. It resembles the brightness of a Seiko monster for the first couple of minutes but probably not after than. It's a strong performance though for the lume-freaks.

So I hope you liked that little review.

As a side-note, I've been told by friends and TZers for years to start a watch channel or blog. Well, I have. The Black Bay is my first review. I only have so many watches to review currently so I don't know where I'll go with things, but it might just be worth a watch if you have some spare time. Make sure you subscribe :-)

Unboxing:

Review of the Bracelet and how I found it when sizing it etc:

Last edited by W44NNE; 25th October 2015 at 18:48.

Nice post Wayne and lovely watch. The supply chat from ADs when a new model comes out is always laughable, but glad you got hold of one.

A friendly dealer in London offered me one yesterday, which I tried on. I was very impressed and think I will end up getting one, but need to try the blue one first.

Awesome pics as usual.

Ian

Phwar, that's a beaut. Congrats. I'm trying desperately not to want one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I've managed to find a "perfect" fit on my 6.75" wrist, although removing the links was a little unusual (you have to remove the flip-lock to take all the links out on one side).
    Did this require a special tool? I can't recall the details and don't have it to hand, but I had a problem with small wrists and the Heritage Chrono. To get the clasp to sit flat under my wrist, because of the unequal number of removable links on each side of the clasp I'm forced to have the bracelet mounted backwards. I remember thinking that removing one more link would get it right without flipping the bracelet, but would need the clasp to be taken off, but it wasn't held on by a screw or spring bar.

That is a stunner, good to see you perseverance paid off. I would say it was more than worth the effort.

Journeyman
    nice review, really stunning piece. That AD making up is so sad :)

Thanks for that Wayne - I really like the look.

Master
    Excellent review of a great watch.

That's lovely Wayne, I wondered how they'd follow up the one off variant and that's superb!

Congratulations, for a current model, modern watch it sounds like you had to go through some hassles to get it, which must make the acquisition even sweeter?!

I came so close to getting a BBred a few years back, but ended up going with a Sub, because I ultimately wanted it more... It would of been a harder choice if this model have been available back then, a much harder choice!

Master
    Apologises in advance for being the voice of dissent, whilst i really like the sword hands version i think the snowflake are terrible, too big and dominate everything about the watch.

Not for me.

Chuffed for you fats
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    This version looks fantastic, congratulations! I saw one just this morning in Charles Fox in Bournemouth if anyone is struggling to find one.

Master
    An all-round enjoyable post.

Congratulations to you.

scooter

Excellent review Wayne and, as your reviews always do, it has left me wanting one. If ever you do fancy a red one instead....

Absolutely love these and i would be very concerned for my bank balance if it had a date! don't get me wrong it looks perfect as it is but practically for me a date is a must

And one at Charles Fox too! makes me wonder if i need to try it on just in case :)

Is it a certainty that it will be limited numbers or just initial supply? the cynic in me thinks it is to get a majority moved on with no discounts etc before flooding the market later on

Craftsman
    A great looking watch and great write, thanks very much. Enjoy.

Great review and watch, I really like this model as I'm partial to a black dial and gilt hands.

Master
    A great review and good to see some real life pics rather than Tudor's. I was very tempted by the blue black bay on release but bottled purchasing one when I tried it on although a very nice nice watch I just wasn't 100% sure. This on the other hand is another proposition, I have already emailed my local AD to see when they are getting them and look forward to seeing one in the flesh.

Enjoy your new arrival OP.

Great review, looks much better than a modern submariner IMHO. If I didn't have a 14060 I'd be buying one myself!

Master
    I'm a big fan of the Black Bay, and Tudor in general, so not really surprising that I really like that!

I shall keep my eyes out for one on a bracelet to keep my BBR company.

Thanks for the mini review, great stuff.

Thanks for the review, well done.

Despite my aversion to the thickness I might have to get that watch.

Master
    Really liking the look of this Black Bay (I've had a red and a blue previously) and your review is just making me want one more

Craftsman
    That looks gorgeous!

Very nice write up and pics.
    Mine is waiting at AD for over a week now. Need to find time to get there.

Craftsman
    Super cool watch.

Its a lovely thing that's for sure. Good post too.

Master
    Nice watch and great review mate. If you're open to a bit of constructive criticism, it would have been nice to see the watch a bit closer up on the vid. And open the box a bit damn quicker next time

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    Thanks for the review, well done.

Despite my aversion to the thickness I might have to get that watch.
    it's 12.7mm thick; the only reason it looks thick is that the case back reaches all the way down to the wrist, rather than floating above it as most dive watches do, when they have bubble-like case backs (including Submariners).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Great review of a great watch.

My BB blue is currently 'in the shop' being looked at under warranty for a timing issue but this is a fantastic watch and currently my favourite of my small collection.

I want to see one of these black versions in the metal but I am a little worried that I will end up ordering one!

Master
    For those in the Bournemouth area, i wouldn't bother going to check out the one at Charles Fox. It's not there anymore

Cool

I noticed this watch last week via pistonheads, it's the first modern watch I've liked in a while! I'm glad someone on TZ has got one. Are you coming to the Mcr GTG, and if so can you bring it?!

Craftsman
    Congratulations on such a nice watch! I ve subscribed to your channel looking forward to some more videos soon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    For those in the Bournemouth area, i wouldn't bother going to check out the one at Charles Fox. It's not there anymore
    Thanks for that, it's saved me a trip.

scooter

Fantastic review and pics W44NNE. I think, for that price point, this is the sport's watch to buy today. Excellent quality and classic looks, but it flies under the radar. I just can't make up my mind witch is better: black or blue?!?
    The black has some warmth to it, because of the gilt dial and hands, but on the second note, that ice cold steel with blue bezel witch mimics old faded black Sub bezels just looks epic. And on that blue nato...best to get both i'm afraid.
    Unfortunately no red for me. The cold color of steel, warm gold and that 'in your face' red is just not a good combo (IMHO).

Now im off to look at that video!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    it's 12.7mm thick; the only reason it looks thick is that the case back reaches all the way down to the wrist, rather than floating above it as most dive watches do, when they have bubble-like case backs (including Submariners).
    Ultimately that's why I sold my Tudor Heritage Chrono. Although not massively thick, it did wear that way due to the big, slab sides. It was all case and no bezel when viewed side on, looking down the arm.

Great review and video. Got a Tudor BB blue myself and I just love it. Looking forward to seeing what you do for your next video.

Master
    Thanks for all the replies. Really glad it's an appealing choice for some of you.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Nice watch and great review mate. If you're open to a bit of constructive criticism, it would have been nice to see the watch a bit closer up on the vid. And open the box a bit damn quicker next time
    Thanks Ben. I like CC and you're right. I was using a new camera but I don't think its forte is video, so I'll be using a different camera from my third video onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    I noticed this watch last week via pistonheads, it's the first modern watch I've liked in a while! I'm glad someone on TZ has got one. Are you coming to the Mcr GTG, and if so can you bring it?!
    I'm not sure I can get there now, due to the date, but if I do, I'll bring it :-)

Great write up, waiting for mine :)

Banned
    Love the watch, loved the review and even loved the comedy accent you used.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by champagne_james View Post
    Great write up, waiting for mine :)
    I reckon you'll love it James

I really think I'm going to have to add one of these - there goes reducing the bloody watches again!
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Congratulations, well done and thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post

Drop the dial bezel and handset onto the better sized case and its perfect.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Did this require a special tool? I can't recall the details and don't have it to hand, but I had a problem with small wrists and the Heritage Chrono. To get the clasp to sit flat under my wrist, because of the unequal number of removable links on each side of the clasp I'm forced to have the bracelet mounted backwards. I remember thinking that removing one more link would get it right without flipping the bracelet, but would need the clasp to be taken off, but it wasn't held on by a screw or spring bar.
    I've created another video regarding the bracelet. It goes into a bit more detail on the removal of the flip-lock...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I've created another video regarding the bracelet. It goes into a bit more detail on the removal of the flip-lock...

Presume you mean 1.6mm for the screw driver :) good video's and pictures, I was set on the new pelagos as my next purchase, but this has me thinking now.

Craftsman
    Looks lovely.

I have flirted like mad with the red and blue ones, the blue is just ahead at the moment. Is this new black one very much more expensive than the 'standard' colour variants?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stomach View Post
    Looks lovely.

I have flirted like mad with the red and blue ones, the blue is just ahead at the moment. Is this new black one very much more expensive than the 'standard' colour variants?
    It's priced identically:-)

Craftsman
    Excellent, thanks.

My 'want to try on' list just grew.

Is anyone else wondering how that would look with the blue bezel fitted..?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Is anyone else wondering how that would look with the blue bezel fitted..?
    I think somebody mocked up the black dial of the Blue model, with the black bezel off this, but I wouldn't like the blue bezel with the gilt dial combo personally.

I've just fitted a grey/black NATO; looks good!