closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back in a Speedy

Back in a Speedy

I have owned a few Speedmasters through the years; started with the 145.022 from 1985, bought at an antiques market in Bath for the princely sum of £820, it was my second watch and I loved it for years but as the collection, grew, it got worn less and less until it was sold a couple of years ago after around 10 years in my ownership. It no longer felt 'special' enough whatever that means.

During that time, I owned a 3303 powered Broad Arrow automatic which was absolutely stunning to look at, but not a 'Professional'. Sold as again, not 'special' enough.

I currently have a Reduced automatic which is a pretty little thing but hasn't been worn in a month so will probably go to the SC block eventually; guess what, it's not 'special' enough. And lastly the FOIS (which has timekeeping issues) but was not the magic bullet I had hoped for. You can guess why.

I put up a thread asking about vintage Ed White's and wasnt tremendously encouraged by the answers so ruled out vintage - I'm a wearer, not an admirer.

Then the stupidly named 1957 'Replica' Speedmaster appeared on SC and I remembered seeing one second hand in a jewellers window in Bristol - I didn't buy it as I owned my 145.022 at the time and when I finally decided to grab it anyway, it had of course gone. I never saw another until the watch on SC, which I promptly missed. I added a 'first refusal please' to the thread and lo and behold, it is now on my wrist a few weeks later.

I can honestly say I have found 'my' Speedmaster now. Hesalite and manual wind give the genuine Moonwatch experience while the bare metal (not polished) bezel, broad arrow hands and applied logo and pre-moon script all give it a real vintage feel, far more than the FOIS in my opinion. Bracelet is lovely (20mm lugs) with one pin's worth of microadjustment (thanks Omega!) and I will try it on a rally strap at some point. Just a plain, traditional hippocampus 'Speedmaster' caseback only adds to the appeal. Dial is a lovely dark grey and every movement of your wrist causes the polished hands and applied logo to catch the light - gorgeous. As far as i know it isn't limited but they aren't common - so no tie-in with the 42.73rd anniversary of the first fart in space or anything like that, just a Speedmaster that for me gives the look of the Broad Arrow model with the charm and tradition of the manual wind hesalite moonwatch.

Pleased is an understatement. This one is hopefully staying :)

Excellent version that, I'm sure it will take to many strap options too.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    no tie-in with the 42.73rd anniversary of the first fart in space or anything like that
    In Speedyland, that makes it special

Paul

Love it! I've been toying with the Broadarrow options too, and have come close to taking the plunge a few times recently. Put me down as first in line, please

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Put me down as first in line, please
    Duly noted Tony :)

On the strap subject, does anyone know of any curved-end rally-style straps? I know there's an OEM on SC but I cant stretch to that!

Get it on a NATO!!!

Get it on a NATO!!!
    NEVER!! I always think they look better in pictures, on the wrist I really don't like them...

Master
    Lovely! Is there such a thing as a "second in line option" after learningtofly? :-). Why the poor name choice I wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    Lovely! Is there such a thing as a "second in line option" after learningtofly? :-). Why the poor name choice I wonder...
    Worry not, Tony only keeps stuff 5-10 mins (unless it's a keeper then it's usually a bit longer!)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Worry not, Tony only keeps stuff 5-10 mins (unless it's a keeper then it's usually a bit longer!)
    10 months average for my present collection, I'll have you know

Very, very nice. Could you maybe post a picture of this and the FOIS? I'm quite interested in the FOIS at the moment but would like to see how it compares to a pro size wise.

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    Very, very nice. Could you maybe post a picture of this and the FOIS? I'm quite interested in the FOIS at the moment but would like to see how it compares to a pro size wise.
    FOIS left the building within 48hrs due to timekeeping - so it's long gone. But the 19mm lug width and lack of bracelet bothered me and I didn't notice the lack of crown guards.

The 1957 is a Speedmaster Professional, just got a LOT of different parts on it! The advantage there is a 20mm lug width meaning easier for straps and bracelets.

FOIS left the building within 48hrs due to timekeeping - so it's long gone. But the 19mm lug width and lack of bracelet bothered me and I didn't notice the lack of crown guards.

The 1957 is a Speedmaster Professional, just got a LOT of different parts on it! The advantage there is a 20mm lug width meaning easier for straps and bracelets.
    Makes sense. I have a couple of vintage chronos with 19 mm lug width and I agree 20 mm is more convenient. Thanks for your impressions, should help with my decision.

Congratulations - that's lovely!

I have admired this reference for years, but the thing that always keeps me from biting on one is photos like this one - where reflections make the hands nigh-invisible under certain lighting. Do you find that to be a problem, or is it just a trick of how these watches show in photos? One thing I love about the typical Professional models is how legible the hands are in all types of lighting, so I'd love to know if this carries over to the 3594 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    Makes sense. I have a couple of vintage chronos with 19 mm lug width and I agree 20 mm is more convenient. Thanks for your impressions, should help with my decision.
    Queer old bird the FOIS - lovely handset, a lot of work gone into a bespoke case but you'd struggle to see the difference between it and a normal sapphire Pro day to day. An homage to a classic watch but replacing the hesalite with Sapphire didn't work for me - I believe it was an availability issue, but still...

The thing that sold it to me in pictures was the applied logo but it got lost. The visual impact of the brushed steel bezel on the 1957 was the differentiator I needed.

Have dug out an old Omega croc strap and a black Hirsch Leonardo from the strap box so will fit them for a look when I get the chance. Couple of cheap eBay rallies on the way too.

Ooh really like that - always found the normal speedy hands boring compared to the broad arrow. What year is it from?

Put out me down 2nd/3rd whatever in line if you pass it on

Mmm, nice. The croc strap I bought for my original speedy about 12 years ago :)

That is certainly a desirable watch, one I would be pleased to own and comfortable to wear - which is the first time I have thought that about the Omega Speedmaster Professonal. For me it's a watch which is much enhanced with the absence of the near hysterical fawning which usually breaks out whenever someone posts a photo of one. If it wasn't for that and the accompanying space nonsense, I might have bought one for its own merits some time ago. Nice watch that one though.

Apprentice
    Very, very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Ooh really like that - always found the normal speedy hands boring compared to the broad arrow. What year is it from?

Put out me down 2nd/3rd whatever in line if you pass it on
    Papers are undated Junaid but probably around 1998ish. Serviced by Omega in 2014 though :)
    Last edited by DB9yeti; 19th September 2015 at 19:21.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    If it wasn't for that and the accompanying space nonsense, I might have bought one for its own merits some time ago.
    This recreates the Speedmaster before it was affiliated with the space programme so if anything, it's a "driver's" watch... Hence me looking for a decent rally strap for it!

A queue seems to be forming here chaps... But I haven't been so excited about a new watch in a long time which is a very enjoyable feeling :)

As per my first post; I think this is the one that got away, 10 years ago!

Very nice indeed. I much prefer hesalite over sapphire and the cal.1861 over the Co-Axial movement. Strap wise I think a brown Hirsch Medici would suit it perfectly. Lovely vintage vibe and no ungainly gaps at the lugs.

Pic nicked from the interweb

Enjoy it before Tony talks it off your wrist ; )

Cheers,
    Gary
    Last edited by Omegary; 19th September 2015 at 20:20. Reason: Found a better pic

Great choice! Your one looks in fab condition too.

I've always somehow preferred the broad arrow myself, and I've had the white/cream and blue version on my wish list for a few years now.
    (Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow 3551.20) Pic from the web:

Doesn't have the hesalite unfortunately but I still want it.
    I'm going to get one - one day!
    Last edited by Thorien; 19th September 2015 at 20:33.

Now that's a good looking Speedmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    Great choice! Your one looks in fab condition too.

I've always somehow preferred the broad arrow myself, and I've had the white/cream and blue version on my wish list for a few years now.
    (Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow 3551.20) Pic from the web:

Doesn't have the hesalite unfortunately but I still want it.
    Looks particularly good on a Hirsch Medici in the honey colour they do... I've wanted one since Andy T (second time I've mentioned him today) sold one to buy a watch from me - ironically!

Looks particularly good on a Hirsch Medici in the honey colour they do... I've wanted one since Andy T (second time I've mentioned him today) sold one to buy a watch from me - ironically!
    Thanks I'll have to remember that when I get one. If by chance you get one first - can I have first refusal please if you decide to move it on

Dammit! Now I'm searching all the usual used watch sources and adjusting the spreadsheet to work out what I can sell

It was on my radar a while ago but I've never owned a Speedy so wasn't sure it was the right one to go for. Looks fantastic though.

As for straps, simple tan, brown or black with natural stitch:

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post

Doh! There I was thinking I was the only one looking

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Strap wise I think a brown Hirsch Medici would suit it perfectly. Lovely vintage vibe and no ungainly gaps at the lugs.

Enjoy it before Tony talks it off your wrist ; )

Cheers,
    Gary
    That's funny, Gary - not least because we both recommended the same strap

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    That original one (CK2915) bottom left looks divine... now I'm having impure thoughts about sending mine off to James for a vintage re-lume...

- - - Updated - - -

That's funny, Gary - not least because we both recommended the same strap
    I've got a couple of Leonardos so I'll see how that looks first :)

That original one (CK2915) bottom left looks divine... now I'm having impure thoughts about sending mine off to James for a vintage re-lume...
    That one looks stunning, If you do get a re-lume that's the one to go for.

Don't be daft. Just whip it open and use a felt tip.

Master
    Ah, my old watch Mr Yeti. Enjoy it! I didn't think it would last long with Mark.....

Master
    Don't be daft. Just whip it open and use a felt tip.
    Tip-Ex with a bit of green Humbrol works pretty well.

Seriously though, can you lot just stop it? I've never owned a Speedie (bar the digi variants which I love to bits), but I'm weakening. Definitely weakening with all these pics.

Nice one, Lewis.
    Broad arrow is always a great choice.
    Being a philistine, I cannot appreciate the Moon, manual, haselite stuff.
    Mine is a co-axial GMT on a Sirtoli alligator strap.

Congrats, the 3594.50 is highly under-rated IMO. As Tony mentioned, they look great on a nato strap. Actually, they work well with almost any strap.

Master
    NEVER!! I always think they look better in pictures, on the wrist I really don't like them...
    That was my first Impression too but now I find it hard to wear certain straps that is not as comfortable as Nato or Zulu...

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Nice one, Lewis.
    Broad arrow is always a great choice.
    Being a philistine, I cannot appreciate the Moon, manual, haselite stuff.
    Mine is a co-axial GMT on a Sirtoli alligator strap.
    If i had this watch I wouldn't be able to tell the time.

Craftsman
    I picked up a 1957 Broad Arrow in February and love it. It was NOS from an Omega dealer so it's in mint condition.

I can't decide if it's a keeper or if it's one I'll sell when something else takes my fancy - I'll keep you guys updated if I do decide to sell!

Congrats!!

Master
    Lewis I do believe when I sold this to you that I asked to be notified if you were thinking of parting with it so wait in line Tony

Really glad you're enjoying it sir. I do miss it but the 42mm PO I replaced it with is also a stunner. Enjoy in good health

Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    Lewis I do believe when I sold this to you that I asked to be notified if you were thinking of parting with it so wait in line Tony
    So you did and I will of course stand by that!! But as of today and the forseeable, it's going nowhere :)

Soz matey...

Master
    I'm really surprised by the love for this watch in this thread - no-one seemed to want it when I was selling it!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    I'm really surprised by the love for this watch in this thread - no-one seemed to want it when I was selling it!
    I didn't see it or I'd have had it in a heartbeat! I have perhaps been over-enthusiastic at what is just(!) a Speedmaster but it had honestly been a while since I got such a buzz from a watch!

I guess it's all about timing when it comes to selling.

I do love this broadarrow. Although if I was to invest in another Speedy the FOIS would be next on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Although if I was to invest in another Speedy the FOIS would be next on my list.
    Out of interest, why? I had one very briefly and didn't get the same 'buzz' from it although it was gorgeous. There were some nice differences to a standard Pro (the case with crown guards removed was gorgeous) but this is so different, it's a surprise to find manual wind and hesalite.

Banned
    The common/often seen/hyped Moonwatch, pushes other variants into the background in favour of the 'safe bet'.

Same as the Submariner.
    Last edited by burnsey66; 26th September 2015 at 10:51. Reason: Didn’t make sense. Probably still doesn’t...

Out of interest, why? I had one very briefly and didn't get the same 'buzz' from it although it was gorgeous. There were some nice differences to a standard Pro (the case with crown guards removed was gorgeous) but this is so different, it's a surprise to find manual wind and hesalite.
    I just love everything about it. Case size and its non bevelled profile, lack of crown gaurds, handset, applied logo, caseback design. Don't think I could wish for more in a Speedy to be honest if I was to fine tune one to my likes.

I have a Soyuz already but still have an itch for that traditional Speedy contrast between the black dial and white handset/markers, the FOIS is different enough in so many areas that I think it would really give me something very different to my Soyuz already in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I have a Soyuz already but still have an itch for that traditional Speedy contrast between the black dial and white handset/markers, the FOIS is different enough in so many areas that I think it would really give me something very different to my Soyuz already in the box.
    Soyuz (perhaps along with the blue Gemini) is my favourite variant, an absolutely brilliant looking watch!

I see what you're saying about the FOIS; I bought one without realising that this one was actually what I wanted!