closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: UPDATE - I bought a watch for my SO, thoughts?

Craftsman

UPDATE - I bought a watch for my SO, thoughts?

I'm in need of some horological advice, and as ever I turn to the collective wisdom on the forum - this will be an interesting deviation from our usual topics of discourse :D.

My better half has always viewed my erm, "interest" in watches with a patient eye, and an interesting opportunity has presented itself. Having started a new job a little further along the "corporate" spectrum than her previous one, she's in need of a watch to complement her new work wardrobe. I feel like now is the time for me to shine, and prove to her that this obsession of mine actually has it's uses.

Unfortunately I am stuck, I know next to nothing about women's watches and there are other constraints to consider: Following a more extravagant than usual anniversary present from me to her recently, she is refusing to let me contribute to her budget for this purchase, and so I'm stuck in a situation where I need to recommend something cool, classy (she loves vintage styling) and unique for under 100 GBP - I need your help.

Our plans involve moseying around London tomorrow, so any shops/areas you can recommend that may stock interesting women's pieces within that price range would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
    B
    Last edited by Insaneous1510; 1st October 2015 at 18:47.

Does it have to be a womans watch? My better half wears a Seiko Sarb035 on a leather strap and she loves it

I see lots of women wearing larger watches these days

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    mondaine evo.. or any of their line really.
    simple and classic.

Craftsman
    Vintage Certina perhaps? Mondaine evo as verv mention is great, but i am not sure if they are within that 100 budget.

Can you find photos of what she like? 'vintage' classy and cool is not much to go by.

Craftsman
    Fair point Monty - no now that I think about it, doesn't have to be a "woman's watch" per se, I did think about a seiko actually but my knowledge of the brand is quite limited, any other recommendations besides the sarb035?

To further clarify "vintage, classy and cool" - I'm afraid all I have to go on is a few less than subtle attempts at fishing for what she may like (she has never worn a watch, nor is she a bracelet kind of person). The most information I have to go by is that she likes the classic pastel colour leather strap, round dress watch face combination (probably sub 35 mm diameter), and that she "likes sub dials" :P

Was thinking something vintage from an obscure swiss brand might catch her eye, but difficult thinking of somewhere in London where we can go browse for this kind of thing at a sub 100 GBP price point? Failing that, what is a good place in general to go browsing for watches in general (that is not your high-end WoS or vintage watch store on the Strand)?

B

Can I suggest a 'look book' approach? Browse a few different shops with her (doesn't matter if it's H Samuel or Wempe, we're just looking for diversity) and take pictures of any watches that appeal to her. At the end of the day you will then have a photo montage of the design elements she likes, and you can use that to hunt online for something that matches them within the budget.

Craftsman
    Daniel Wellington do a nice, vintage style/plain with leather strap at about your price point.

Took my other half watch shopping in France recently and she chose this, absolutely loves it, but...

she now tells me it'll do as an interim purchase before I have to pick up one of these for her...

... Reading over my shoulder she's changed her mind and wants one of these!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    ... Reading over my shoulder she's changed her mind and wants one of these!

Let me know where you can get one of those for around 100GBP, and I'll have a dozen to be getting on with

Craftsman
    Hahaha you guys think I'm opening up a potential Pandora's box with this one? Liking the idea of browsing a few stores and picking up some design likes/dislikes - will update shortly!

Quote Originally Posted by Finners View Post
    Let me know where you can get one of those for around 100GBP, and I'll have a dozen to be getting on with
    The Tissot wasn't expensive. I'd feel a bit mean only spending £100 when I spend so much on my watches! She's caught the bug and has refined her tastes somewhat since the Tissot!

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneous1510 View Post
    Hahaha you guys think I'm opening up a potential Pandora's box with this one? Liking the idea of browsing a few stores and picking up some design likes/dislikes - will update shortly!
    Don't buy ANYTHING without her seeing it, always bound to end in tears 😳

Craftsman
    Thanks to all of those who replied with advice - thought I'd provide a little update as to how I got on! :)

Essentially after a few weeks of asking seemingly innocuous questions such as "so honey if you had a watch, would that watch have a white dial?", as well as a few *nonchalant pointing* "what do you think of that watch honey?" - I had a list of design likes/dislikes to go off.

I then came across the following on the Bay, and after deciding to take a punt on it being the real deal (owner wasn't interested in watches/didn't want to open the case back) - I entered into a nail-biting auction which stayed hot right up to literally the last second, where a well timed raise from me won me the piece. A few days later, I anxiously prised open the back of the watch and... result! My SO couldn't be happier with it, it ticks all the boxes and was a great way for me to share my WIS interests with her! Also proud that she's walking with something pretty unique and with real character on her wrist, beyond the usual Michael Kors gold-plated bracelet-cum-watches.

What do you guys think?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Insaneous1510 View Post
    Thanks to all of those who replied with advice - thought I'd provide a little update as to how I got on! :)

Essentially after a few weeks of asking seemingly innocuous questions such as "so honey if you had a watch, would that watch have a white dial?", as well as a few *nonchalant pointing* "what do you think of that watch honey?" - I had a list of design likes/dislikes to go off.

I then came across the following on the Bay, and after deciding to take a punt on it being the real deal (owner wasn't interested in watches/didn't want to open the case back) - I entered into a nail-biting auction which stayed hot right up to literally the last second, where a well timed raise from me won me the piece. A few days later, I anxiously prised open the back of the watch and... result! My SO couldn't be happier with it, it ticks all the boxes and was a great way for me to share my WIS interests with her! Also proud that she's walking with something pretty unique and with real character on her wrist, beyond the usual Michael Kors gold-plated bracelet-cum-watches.

What do you guys think?

Great choice, I was going to recommend an vintage Omega or Longines. Even vintage male models look great.