closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Have you ever..

Have you ever..

Sold a watch an instantly or always regretted it? If so what watch was it and why?
    Curious to know of peoples past watch experiences.

I regret letting my Longines Legend Diver go.

I needed the cash for a watch on SC at the time. That new watch has long since gone from my collection but I reckon the LLD would still be here.

I sold my 116613 lb and still regretting

My Sinn EZM1, Speedy 105.012 and AP RO 15300 are much missed.....sniff

Quote Originally Posted by adesmith View Post
    I regret letting my Longines Legend Diver go.

I needed the cash for a watch on SC at the time. That new watch has long since gone from my collection but I reckon the LLD would still be here.
    Longines diver is a lovely watch, admire them myself. Shame huh!

Ive only ever sold for a good reason, I sold a few favourites a few years ago, original PloProf, Capeland XXL , Chrono Avenger Ti. Would have loved to have kept them but it helped towards a house deposit.... You can't live in a watch.......

Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    My Sinn EZM1, Speedy 105.012 and AP RO 15300 are much missed.....sniff
    Any reason for letting them go?

I received a box of watch bits many moons ago and in amongst the junk was a working Valjoux 7733 chronograph movement with a good condition Sandoz dial. About 6 months later, I managed to get hold of a NOS Sandoz case and then put it all together. It was my very first watch project and I really wished I'd have kept it. I can't even remember who I sold it too...

If you now own this watch, please get in touch!

Quote Originally Posted by turbomolwi View Post
    I sold my 116613 lb and still regretting
    Why would you get rid of that Sub!? Amazing watch!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I received a box of watch bits many moons ago and in amongst the junk was a working Valjoux 7733 chronograph movement with a good condition Sandoz dial. About 6 months later, I managed to get hold of a NOS Sandoz case and then put it all together. It was my very first watch project and I really wished I'd have kept it. I can't even remember who I sold it too...

If you now own this watch, please get in touch!

That would have been something good to keep, always better when it has sentimental value to it.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Ive only ever sold for a good reason, I sold a few favourites a few years ago, original PloProf, Capeland XXL , Chrono Avenger Ti. Would have loved to have kept them but it helped towards a house deposit.... You can't live in a watch.......
    That is very true.

Master
    I've only sold them to 'move up in the world' - i.e. to fund something a little 'better', or whatever that means. Whilst I've never regretted a sale, I've not always done well with what I've bought and regretted the depreciation!

I now have my own buying criteria to stop me purchasing on impulse things that would get flipped too easily later. Basically I now only look at things in 3 categories: in house movement, historically important, or Bond.

No, if anything the opposite, I've parted with watches I really thought I wouldn't and found I didn't miss them at all.

That said, I rarely part with anything, so it's not happened a lot!

M

It's rare for me to find that I can't replicate any watch that I really miss by buying that model again. Two exceptions would be the J le C movement 45mm Radiomir and the pam 127 but that's another story.

only one i have regreted so far was a hamilton pan europ chrono

Master
    I've never really regretted a sale - if I do get sentimental about one I just have to look at the replacement it helped to fund. And remember that I still have too many, so which would I want to sell from the current lot to go backwards?

Craftsman
    I get sentimental about my watches, so I find extremely hard to convince myself to sell them. Only considering that having too much watches means not properly enjoing them I can convince myself.

My only regret is a Chopard Mille Miglia chrono, ref. 8915. It was my first achieved grail and after five years I thought I was moving toward larger watches. I later realized the folly of that belief and I now gravitate toward watches firmly in the 39mm-42mm range (the Chopard was 39mm). I've kicked myself many times over that decision.

I sold my GMT2C to pay part of a car respray. I think that's the one I regret the most, but also the first Autavia Siffert (to pay for some more of the respray) and second Autavia Siffert (traded for a 'sensible' family car). I also regret selling my first pre-Moon Speedie, which had belonged to Chuck Maddox and had a load of NASA history. Then there are the various Autavias - including the 7763 I sold because I didn't think I should have two manual Autavias - and the 7763 I bought because I regretted selling the first so much. I'm beginning to think I shouldn't have sold my red Sub but then I did get back my old Big Blue - that I'd regretted selling - as part of the trade. There are very few I've sold and not regretted. Oh yes, there was the Heuer Autavia 11630 GMT I really shouldn't have sold. I miss that one and it's unlikely I'll get the chance to have another. I feel sorry for myself so you don't have to.

Traded my '69 Speedmaster against a Heuer Silverstone. I used to wear the Speedy all the time but the Silverstone has only been on my wrist twice. Doh!

Ball skindiver.

Sold it as I didn't like wearing the rubber strap. Stupid as i didn't even try a bracelet.

Really regret letting it go as they are brilliant watches.

Steve

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It was a beauty of a stainless datejust on jubilee with a coffee coloured stick dial that changed with the light. Instant regret. Think it's still on the forum somewhere.
    Think magirus has the same model/dial combo.
    I'd have it back in a shot.

Yes, my FP Journe Black Label Calendrier.

And I still regret it :(

Quote Originally Posted by dannywalker39 View Post
    Any reason for letting them go?
    ...same old, same old: sex drugs and alcohol or......another watch

I should probably regret selling this one for 3000 pounds...

and this one for 1250 pounds...

and this one for 450 pounds...

.. and a dozens of others when I became bored of the whole thing. But I don't. Just sparkly objects, ownership isn't important.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I should probably regret selling this one for 3000 pounds...

and this one for 450 pounds...

.. and a dozens of others when I became bored of the whole thing. But I don't. Just sparkly objects, ownership isn't important.

Paul
    Id have given you more for the seamaster and gmt

Only once have a I regretted selling a watch for an extended period of time; the JLC Master calendar with power reserve. I needed a very exact amount of money to complete on another sale so it had to go for a watch that in theory replaced it in every way... it didn't, nothing could. I was unable to buy back my original watch so placed a WTB on here and was very fortunately contacted by a member with a lovely one to sell.

Lost £900 on the first deal and bought this one at £500 more than I sold mine for - expensive lesson but it didn't matter. It will probably the last watch to go in my collection, it's just... perfect.

Given different circumstances I wouldn't have sold all but one two out of hundreds. The biggest regrets have always been the sales of watches I've genuinely liked and been attached to that have gone to fund house purchases, home improvements, putting food on the table - however they are just things and other stuff matters more.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Given different circumstances I wouldn't have sold all but one two out of hundreds. The biggest regrets have always been the sales of watches I've genuinely liked and been attached to that have gone to fund house purchases, home improvements, putting food on the table - however they are just things and other stuff matters more.
    I've been fortunate so far that all watches have been sold to fund others. Had my contract not been renewed, we'd have been living off Patek-funded baked beans until the oil price went back up...

Rolex Cosmograph. by Zenith.

ismaaeel

Master

Blimey, you let go of the legendary auto with the Oysterquartz case shape? That is seriously rare and would not be easy to replace. Well done on not regretting that one, that's a very zen attitude you have there. I'm already regretting not being the person you sold it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Blimey, you let go of the legendary auto with the Oysterquartz case shape? That is seriously rare and would not be easy to replace. Well done on not regretting that one, that's a very zen attitude you have there. I'm already regretting not being the person you sold it to.
    I bought it from James Dowling and sold ( at a loss of £3k ) to a Tokyo dealer. They are quite rare but I could buy another if I felt the urge.

Paul

Master
    I bought it from James Dowling and sold ( at a loss of £3k ) to a Tokyo dealer. They are quite rare but I could buy another if I felt the urge.

Paul
    Yes, they're out there - at about £6k though unfortunately. You're right though, enjoy what you have and don't cling to the past.