closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Just wanted to share a different watch (Schaumburg Retrolateur)

Just wanted to share a different watch (Schaumburg Retrolateur)

After a decade of flipping the "regular high end watches" (Subs, Seams, Speedies, GMTs, etc.) I thought it was time for something different.
    Basically I was after a watch that I could wear daily, mechanical (of course), and that had the "X-factor".

After searching the net I got the opportunity to buy an almost new Schaumburg Unikatorium Retrolateur (priced at a very reasonable ~850£)

The movement is the Unitas 6794 (well known from numerous watches, Panerai base models included), but Schaumburg has modified it to have the hands in a regulator layout (meaning a separate dial per hand), and equally important added the double retrograde. It splits the seconds into two dials with one going from 0 to 30 (then resetting), and the second dial going from 30-60 (then resetting, and then so on and so forth).

Case is a respectively 42mm with screw in lug bars and a display back to show the hand engraved movement. It runs perfectly (+2 secs/day) and I find it enjoyable in every way.

I'll leave you with a few pics - feel free to post yours of your "different complication" (moon phase, flyback, etc.)

Official specs here:

http://www.schaumburgwatch.com/retrolateur.asp

Have a great weekend,
    Claus
    Last edited by remember2; 17th July 2015 at 18:34.

Big thumbs up from me! I love retrograde seconds and that dial lay out is lovely and clean. Very cool.

Master
    Excellent catch – well done.
    Schaumburg have a lot of interesting designs if you're after something that stands out from the crowd.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That's very nice indeed.

mike

Master
    A "Schaumburg Unikatorium Retrolateur" ?? Thank goodness they didn't print the whole name on the dial as they'd be no space for any letters or dials! Are you meant to drop the fact that you own a 'Schaum.......leur' into casual conversation to show that you know how to pronounce it??

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    A "Schaumburg Unikatorium Retrolateur" ?? Thank goodness they didn't print the whole name on the dial as they'd be no space for any letters or dials! Are you meant to drop the fact that you own a 'Schaum.......leur' into casual conversation to show that you know how to pronounce it??
    Haha - good point. It helps though that the Unikatorium is actually not part of the name... it's just the series

Something quite different. And quite cool also. Not something I have seen before hit in like it!

Cool - that's unusual even for a regulator.

That's fantastic!! I like it a lot, very novel use of a workhorse movement.

Master
    Their moonphase complication won 2015 watch of the year from the Salon Exceptional Watches. Look at the meteorite dial version JUST LOOK AT IT!

http://www.schaumburgwatch.com/asp/h...&data_SortWie=

I am having a very, very bad attack of the wants. Worse I will be in driving distance of where they are based in Mid-April, armed with my annual bonus in the bank account.

Journeyman
    Really like that!

Master
    Very nice indeed. And quite accessible pricing... This is very interesting!!

The sperm-like seconds hand (akin to the one on Speake Marins) is a turn off (in my opinion).

I like it.

Battons or arabics in lieu of Roman numerals and an non onion crown would make it even nicer IMHO
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

The rest of their range is worth a look too.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

not well know brand but thet make beautifull time pieces!

Looks wonderful, especially for that price.

I tried the website but unfortunately 'this online store is unavailable in your country'. I'm in a Cafe Rouge in Oxford. I'll try when I get home.

Journeyman
    Cool!

Master
    I only discovered these today so I'm glad Schaumburg watches are recognised on here.

Does anyone own one of their MooN (that's not a typo) watches? Especially the Galaxy version. What are your views if you do have one?

A bit big, but I like it. Certainly very different ...will it fit under a cuff?

Craftsman
    Nice face, wonder what it would look like with a metal bracelet.

Craftsman
    Yet another watch brand I've never heard of that makes things of desire. I'm beginning to think that joining this forum may have been a very expensive mistake

I think that it is beautiful and quite reminiscent of Azimuth watches, which are more expensive.

You don't need to spend mega bucks on an in-house PP, AP, VC etc to get nice watches with complications. Over the years, there have been a number of complications based on ETA, Unitas, Peseux, Valjoux and Lemania movements and which are of relatively modest cost. Zeno, Epos, Sandoz, Louis Erard, Aerowatch, Jacques Lemans and Theorein have produced a number of triple-date moonphase, big date, regulator and flyback/retrograde display watches.

I have a couple of flyback/retrograde display watches from Trias. I think that I only paid about £100 for them, although that was 10-12 years ago. The movements certainly look like ETA, but that doesn't mean that they are, of course.

That is one good looking watch, nice clean dial, not heard of that brand before.