closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mornington Crescent

There are clearly far too many on this forum who have no concept for the Van der Valk defence and therefore the next destination is clear. St James'.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    There are clearly far too many on this forum who have no concept for the Van der Valk defence and therefore the next destination is clear. St James'.
    You could well be right however not sure if its good form to play St James as part of it - brave or foolish? Its a close call

Without wishing to be too predictable I will respond in the usual manner

Harrow & Wealdstone

Though an obvious move, it's sadly the only option left . I therefore invoke the Mobius Loop and take us back to Pimlico.

Ha, north to Walthamstow central then......

Master
    Oh no, late to this one. The Livingstone Integrated Transport rules make for a more coherent and enjoyable game than this one looks to have been so far, I have to say, as long as you don't allow the Euston clause.

Having witnessed the carnage that ensues when the Bus Driver's Prayer Accumulator is invoked, I am salaciously compelled to throw down Parsons Green

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wexford View Post
    Having witnessed the carnage that ensues when the Bus Driver's Prayer Accumulator is invoked, I am salaciously compelled to throw down Parsons Green
    However, mentioning the Bus Driver's Prayer Accumulator without then playing a station with an attached bus station is a breach of the 1989 Golders Green Refurbishment Rule. I am therefore forced to play Hammersmith to correct the error.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    However, mentioning the Bus Driver's Prayer Accumulator without then playing a station with an attached bus station is a breach of the 1989 Golders Green Refurbishment Rule. I am therefore forced to play Hammersmith to correct the error.
    That's an egregiously liberal interpretation of the 1989 GGRR! With this sort of attitude the game will rapidly dissolve into the kind of open madcap free-for-all that Czechs mock us for. And nobody wants a re-run of the 1998 Prague debacle- I barely escaped with my svíčková na smetaně!

If we're going to do this, let's do it properly: Finsbury Park

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats View Post
    That's an egregiously liberal interpretation of the 1989 GGRR! With this sort of attitude the game will rapidly dissolve into the kind of open madcap free-for-all that Czechs mock us for. And nobody wants a re-run of the 1998 Prague debacle- I barely escaped with my svíčková na smetaně!

If we're going to do this, let's do it properly: Finsbury Park
    You had me snookered sat out here in Asia. However, after poring over the second volume of the obscure 1928 Shanghai Rules (Rule 214.2.1) you will, perhaps, permit me a brief Oriental Detour.

Ginza

It will allow those of us who have the inclination to stop, briefly, at the Grand Seiko boutique.

Master
    Ginza? Dear boy that is clearly not the intention of the Shanghai rules it was the Japanese Dojo Akita Accord of 1973.

Anyway seeing as everyday is Yorkshire Day I would like to play the Truman gambit (Larwood Opening) - go over the wicket and get thy-self to Marylebone; St John's Wood may also suffice but wide of the mark in my opinion. Legend has it that DCS Compton nearly reached Mornington Crescent whilst dispatching a log-hop chinaman delivery from a Lindwall no-ball.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 18th March 2015 at 05:49.

No, no, no - you can't possibly. You are obviously forgetting that today is the day after St Patrick's Day, so subsection 4.11(c) of the (1847 revised) Ballydehob Concession applies until midday. If I'm not mistaken (Appendix 7.3, as amended by Codicil C(2) sub-paragraph i), that means a reset to the end of the line, so, loath as I am to say it, the only possible option is Harrow & Wealdstone. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

Oh that is bad news as I think it puts me in Nidd.

Gah, I waited seven months for my turn as well.

Master
    I then move us to Colindale, as per paragraph six, sentence nine of the Unesco agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    I then move us to Colindale, as per paragraph six, sentence nine of the Unesco agreement.
    ... and an interesting use of the Higginsbottom swoop maneuver. I once met Higginsbottom at a bus stop in Anerley. Awful man, though. Bred parakeets. Parakeets. Couldn't understand a word he was saying. Actually, maybe it was Mr Shandling-Cumbatch from No.15.

Next move: Hainault

Good. Now we're getting somewhere. Heathrow Terminals 1, 2, 3 to be precise.

In the words of Horatio Nelson,
    "I could not tread these perilous paths in safety, if I did not keep a saving sense of humor."
    Therefore it is with a jaunty gait I proceed to:

Barons Court

Mornington Crescent

Ah, the Barons and Earls gambit, eh?
    I'm wise to your game, sir! A bit of insinuation to throw one off the scent, what?
    Well, as we all know, such a saucy male focused diversion such as The Baron can only lead to one possible outcome.
    You have forced my hand sir, and thus I can only play St. John's Wood!
    Last edited by Wexford; 29th March 2015 at 20:50.

As we're already in Nip, I declare Tuck.

Therefore under the Unified Lumbago Rules, specifically rule 4.34.2, which states players in Nip and Tuck cannot make the French Pass, the Leftist Manoeuvre or Run the Biggot, I take the opportunity to Jump Rupert and move to West Hampstead.

Master
    Nip & Tuck is surely invoking the 1954 'Watford' interpretation, & means you leave me no choice sir, but to instigate the terms & conditions of the Paddington 'workshop' temporary rules. Therefore, I have no other option than to make my way to Gunnersbury. I was doing well and dreaming of the kudos & fame by arriving at MC, but this, I can only describe as truly frustrating. From this, I may never recover.
    Last edited by Nealywheelie; 29th March 2015 at 21:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    but this, I can only describe as truly frustrating. From this, I may never recover.
    Them's the rules! :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Them's the rules! :)
    as a new participant to this 'game' I have obviously looked deep and hard at the rules...... and I can only assume that
    nobody else has done this, you have all missed out on the often over looked Hanson-McFeely ruling. with that in mind I am quite willing to offer you all back to Euston.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    as a new participant to this 'game' I have obviously looked deep and hard at the rules...... and I can only assume that
    nobody else has done this, you have all missed out on the often over looked Hanson-McFeely ruling. with that in mind I am quite willing to offer you all back to Euston.

steve
    Steve, Steve, Steve

Euston, under the Hanson-McFeely rules Euston is just not cricket, you may be new but if you keep playing like that you may be up in front of the Greater Retired Geography Teacher committee and we all know what happens then!! Euston dear god!

I'm sorry but I'll need to invoke the Battle of the Yip shunt and even with the weather as it is, am forced to play East Finchley! May god have mercy on our souls!

Craftsman
    Careless move that, had you forgotten that we are between the vernal equinox and Good Friday? From East Finchley I can do a parallel move directly to Brockley.

Swiss Cottage

Blog Entries
    Swiss Cottage
    Surely, playing Swiss Cottage without specifying Metropolitan, Bakerloo, or Jubilee is an egregious breach of Goldfarb's Consolidated Route And Placename Regulations 1940 (Amended 1979), the well known CRAPR. This enables me to play the bonus scoring Baker Street with southbound Bakerloo line platform!

Are mainline stations wild? Can someone remind me please?

Blog Entries
    Are mainline stations wild? Can someone remind me please?
    I believe so but only on the Wednesday following a full moon in Michaelmas or Trinity terms. This is of course according to the Trebuchet Slingshot amendment.

Oh, and I play Holborn.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    an egregious breach of Goldfarb's Consolidated Route And Placename Regulations 1940 (Amended 1979), the well known CRAPR.
    I'm afraid that I'm going to have to take exception to you referring to that charlatan Goldfarb's CRAPR as the "well known" one, when most serious contestants regard Rosenbloom's version as the "well known" one, and Goldfarb's as a minor irrelevance.

So I would strongly suggest that you amend your play to Baker Street with northbound Bakerloo line platform!

Master
    I discussed this at Chatham House.

Can't say more old bean, you understand, except proceed to Granborough Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    I discussed this at Chatham House.

Can't say more old bean, you understand, except proceed to Granborough Road.
    You've completely misunderstood Chatham House rules - it's perfectly OK to say more, you just can't attribute it. Therefore, and under the 2002 revision, Piccadilly Circus.

I'm now starting to understand the strategies employed by some of the participants.

Mark and Wexford are playing standard long pitch strategies, I think, but mark is throwing in the odd doubleback, aimed at confusing other players. No wonder those unfamiliar with the rules of Mornington Crescent don't understand what's going on. Poor lambs.

Now I'm not sure, but 49jchlu appears to be closely following MacMillian's Thrust Route #3, which is a brave strategy, and if I'm right, it may put him ahead on stations at this point. Other players beware!

If anyone can correctly identify the strategy that's governed my last four turns, they can have my District Line seat to Hammersmith for the next round.

I'm now starting to understand the strategies employed by some of the participants.

Mark and Wexford are playing standard long pitch strategies, I think, but mark is throwing in the odd doubleback, aimed at confusing other players. No wonder those unfamiliar with the rules of Mornington Crescent don't understand what's going on. Poor lambs.

Now I'm not sure, but 49jchlu appears to be closely following MacMillian's Thrust Route #3, which is a brave strategy, and if I'm right, it may put him ahead on stations at this point. Other players beware!

If anyone can correctly identify the strategy that's governed my last four turns, they can have my District Line seat to Hammersmith for the next round.
    A tricky challenge but I may have to hoist the mainbrace and heave to as anyone who has read the seminal dissertation from the formidable Fraulein Pumpernickle on her unearthing of the long forgotten Naval Rum variation, will quickly realise that you are following this variation and if so, you'll try and set up the Greenwich up and over which will take us all to Upminster and....and close the cross under paths linking the Northern line and Metropolitan!!

So I come along side and torpedo your chances with a quick excursion south of the river to Richmond and declare crossbridges closed! Now put that in your pipe and smoke it!

So I suppose that means diagonals are out for the next couple of turns then?

Tricky, tricky...

So I suppose that means diagonals are out for the next couple of turns then?

Tricky, tricky...
    Far from me to suggest a move to a fellow player but have you considered Northolt? You would need to think about the Ivankov conjunction but it would free up the diagonals all the way to Friday?

Northolt :)

Richmond to Northolt?

Always runs the risk of a Julian Passage, in consequence:

Hounslow West

Excellent move. There are clearly some expert players among us. I feel a little out of my depth.

Can I move to Canning Town using the hook traverse?

My understanding (such as it is) was that you can't use the hook traverse to a DLR internodal exchange.
    You could have got away with that if you had used crossjunctural heterogeneous spasmject, a la Anthony Burgess 1972, but these days that would be in breach of the Shrewsbury-Otterbang non-emitting ejectoid Edict. The gameplay of this escapes me, but I think it's something to do with hot salty water.

Great Portland Street.

This thread really is an education :)

Notting Hill Gate

Good move. Unfortunately I've used my wild-card so I'll have to play a madder-than-the-Telegraph-letters-page card

Kensington (Olympia)

Mornington Crescent

That's a cunning ruse and under most circumstances would have placed me firmly in Nidd..
    But by sheer good fortune, I managed to retain a frighteningly rare "Overland Joker" as defined in the Manchester ruling of 1977, allowing me to play anything in the overground circle. It would be mean spirited of me to play Clapham Junction, so in the spirit of the forum, I am happy to play West Hampstead

Taking you at face value... Colliers Wood.

Taking you at face value... Colliers Wood.

Right, after the enforced delay to the game due to the Weyland Yutani nexus after Sean toyed with us by playing Colliers Wood, I'm dragging us back into the past with the Lesser Forgotten TV variation so I say its time for

Grange Hill

oh and Tidal ports open in a clockwise direction

Ah, I have mostly played with a newbie crowd and this is my first serious attempt at an advanced game. If I have understood correctly, opening the tidal ports in any direction, if Notting Hill has been visited within a month of said opening, will automatically give the right to move for an Aleister Crowley sweep and clear under the Smith-Smith-Smythe addendum in the section Alpha of non-aggressive military manoeuvres protocol 81-10-4/East. Therefore I will ride the T-day Black Madge straight to Kilburn. I dare you to guess my intent.

If I missed any of the more obscure Easter rules on the Balice JKV Annuals forbidding the move, I apologise, ask to strike and summon the first-move-in-first-play BOI ticket by Jettison of Chatham House rules for a twofer to Ladbroke Grove.

Please advise which move will be approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    Ah, I have mostly played with a newbie crowd and this is my first serious attempt at an advanced game. If I have understood correctly, opening the tidal ports in any direction, if Notting Hill has been visited within a month of said opening, will automatically give the right to move for an Aleister Crowley sweep and clear under the Smith-Smith-Smythe addendum in the section Alpha of non-aggressive military manoeuvres protocol 81-10-4/East. Therefore I will ride the T-day Black Madge straight to Kilburn. I dare you to guess my intent.

If I missed any of the more obscure Easter rules on the Balice JKV Annuals forbidding the move, I apologise, ask to strike and summon the first-move-in-first-play BOI ticket by Jettison of Chatham House rules for a twofer to Ladbroke Grove.

Please advise which move will be approved.

Kilburn for me, a sweet strategy and makes it very difficult to guess the bend in your banana! However, I need not to get outflanked and so will have to block anyone thinking of trying the Fruit based triple shunt by playing

Arsenal

23 hours and 50 minutes I hung on that branch. I must congratulate you on that beautifully executed Orangutan. If I'm not wrong, that is the first ever Orangutan played in an amateur game, if we disregard the De Gartha scandal of 1952, as we should. I must admit that I think Honduras should be allowed to play in the 2017 American regionals.

I accept the 72 hours of personal immobility and leave us at Arsenal, but will straighten the banana meanwhile. Since Chatham House rules are not Jettisoned, I will delay all southbound traffic by 15 minutes to start with, to be further delayed by 1 minute every hour on the hour while my immobility lasts, as allowed by several majority vote decisions in the "No Monkey Business" section of Orangutan bylaws in The Comprehensive CH rules precedent collection by Ohana Izu, Akito Yamazaki and Řjvind Pedersen, 1999 edition.

Right having marooned Possu at Arsenal I feel that its time to open up the game with a variation on the 6 Nations Gambit. So darting down the blind side to escape Arsenal and narrowly avoiding a clothes line style tackle, a rolling maul takes us rumbling down the Northern line to then break off with a double pump dummy and a double scissors miss move for a crash ball all the way to Richmond and we will just have to walk the rest of the way to Twickenham, taking into account the Cheap Burgers and Onions regulations 2003 v1.3a

Master
    Invoking the Holden-Lutyens Accord, I play Arnos Grove.

Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    Invoking the Holden-Lutyens Accord, I play Arnos Grove.

Arnos Grove from Richmond!! Blimey, that's a contentious move, I may have to ask for the Television Match Official input on that one.........

.....oh no

he's only ruled in your favour, I'd forgotten that the Holden-Lutyens Accord could be invoked in April, ladies and gents I think the standard of this game just went from intermediate to advanced. In a desperate attempt to regain some momentum I'm changing tact to the minor Cluedo variations and so it was Colonel Mustard with the shiv at West Ham

Sir, I must object and move to strike even if it makes me sound overly pedantic. That move would effectively place me in a spoon, and I believe it is clear that it is not allowed to spoon an Orangutan'd player in the first 66 hours of immobility. Please remember La boue sombre, vont les Orangs-outans, 2eme edit. (Saint-Clair de Montmarte, 1931). The attempt will automatically de-yidd and place the game to Chalfont & Latimer.

Sadly, I don't see a way out for myself in this.