closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOTC What is still left and why

Banned
    Blog Entries

SOTC What is still left and why

A few months ago my collection was more than twice this. It had to be reduced because my life took me from the UK to Bangkok, where I now live and will likely live for the next few years. It would have been crazy to expect to get close to 30 valuable watches into Thailand without massive customs problems and costs. I do not want own watches and leave them in a safe deposit box for years. So a reduction to the 15 watches we took with us and one I bought since being here.

Ok First is my Glashutte Original Calendar week. The calendar week for me is one of the most interesting watches GO have made. GO are basically movement makers, they never made their own cases and dials, although recently they bought the companies who make them. GO have what I believe to be the best Grand, double digit date ever made. the two digits are on one level and run concentrically (Unlike the awful Lange Grande date, a legacy from JLC with one digit about 3 KM above the other). It is a delight to see, and with the Calendar week you get two of them. The calendar week movement (Based on their 100 series) gives you Day date and week number. It has over two hundred parts dedicated to the week function , including a centrifugal brake to slow the transition at the end of the year to 01. On a recent visit to the GO factory It was explained to me that the movement was more complicated to build than the Perpetual Calendar. They made this model for a very short run and you don't see too many , especially the Rose Gold version.

Parmigiani Tonda Hemispheres and kalpagraphe

Being a bit OCD it often bothers me that multi timezone watches tend to work often in only one hour increments. there are many significant areas on the globe where the time difference is not a complete hour. The Parmigiani Hemispheres has two entirely independent time displays which can be set minutes apart if required. I am great admirer of Michel Parmigiani's work. Since leaving PP, where he was responsible for some of their most magnificent restorations of complicated watches, he has built an incredible and completely integrated manufactory, where they make even their own balance springs. The quality of their movements is magnificent and I find their designs very pleasing and non-derived.

The Hemispheres is in RG and the Kalpagraphe is in Palladium Both are fitted with Hermes straps, which are in themselves exquisite. The kalpagraphe is a beautifully shaped Toneau Chronograph It functions extremely well. On both watches I like what they have done with the date. The use a three digit window, but show only alternate digits, this allows for larger digits and therefore a more readable date. On the Hemispheres the date has a small cyclops style magnifying window under the crystal . I like the us eof Palladium on the Kalpagraphe. Those who tell me White gold Platinum and Palladium are pointless because they look the same as Stainless Steel leave me in despair . To me they are not the same at all. All have a different mass weight ratio therefore feel completely different and they handle light very differently and have a different whiteness and lustre

Seiko Gallant GMT

I have spoken about this watch in a recent post. It is here because I bought to prove the Seiko fanboys wrong about the extreme quality of the Seiko High end product. I ended up proving them right and I love the watch

Piaget Dancer Automatic Date and Upstream

The Piaget dancer usurped Gerald Genta's Golden Shadow to become the thinnest Automatic watch in the late 70s The dancer I have is the rare Date model. Most were three handers. Since then Piaget have continued to make magnificent cases and movements, all in-house. they have also continued to chase the thinnest watch goal with continued success to this day. I care little for what the established WIS party line says about watches For me Piaget are one of the truly great manufacturers of our time. The upstream is one of the very few Piaget watches to be made in stainless steel. It was made for a short time and it's claim to fame is the bracelet. the bracelet on the Upstream has no clasp opposite the watch head. the bezel of the watch is the clasp . Besides that it is a beautifully made watch with a lovely in-house automatic movement.

Dancer

Upstream

Zenith Chronomaster

One needs no better reason to own this watch than the fact that it is a classic example of the El Primero with full Triple date moon Chrono complication. The enamel dial presents this complication in sober classical elegance. Probably the best all round movement ever made, even though it lets itself down a little in terms of finish.

Moser Monard

To my eye. This is the best three hander watch in the world. The beauty of the sculpted Platinum case, the wonderful hands against the pure grey of the Ruthenium dial . The magnificent architecture of the movement from the great mind of Andreus Strehler . This 7 day hand wound wonder is the best watch I have ever owned.

Rolex

Daytona TT with Tahitian pear Dial

This is a true beater. I wear it on leather, on its Bracelet and on a rubber B (Mostly). You can wear it with anything, you can jump in the pool with it, it has a great 72 hour PR If it had a date i'd marry it. It is no surprise that the Dayton is so popular. It is amazing. I like to buck the WIS partly line once more by not feeling I must own it in SS. I like a bit of gold.

Yachmaster in 18CT with Tahitian Pearl dial.

I never wear this but my wife loves to

Omega

A beautiful Manual wind Seamaster from 1967. Because it is what it is.

Corum

Once again bucking the whole WIS school of thought. I love what Corum have done over the years. I love the integrity with which they have done it. The originality of their design work is admirable

The Admirals cup series is Iconic in its own right. The admiral cup Tides is a very special watch. The tides module was developed over a tree year period between Corum, Dubois Depraz and the French aquanautical society. It is a unique and wonderful complication

The Bubble series. Once again a unique and very special design and brilliantly executed. I have the Bubble Skeleton The ETA 2892 is fully built by Corum and every part DLC coated. They even adapted the movement plate to show the Corum Key emblem.
    The Idea of a skeleton with that incredible magnifying dome crystal is genius

Blancpain FF White

My Wife mostly wears this. The FF is the diver of all divers. I don't dive and don't need to hide from sharks, so i am happy to have it in White

JLC

Another watch which was a very long time in development by one of the greatest and most prolific movement makers . This Reverso Column wheel retrograde Chronograph is one of the finest examples of their work.

Girard Perregaux

Richeville Bi Compax Chrono

Love Tonneau watches Love the bi Compax Chrono

Last edited by java; 2nd February 2015 at 03:34.

That is a truly awesome selection of watches and the photography is superb. I sincerely thank you for sharing. What are the watches you have bubbling under at the moment?

You have a wonderful eclectic collection of beautiful watches Java! Stunning photography too. My fave is probably the Blancpain FF, closely followed by the GO

Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by CafeRacer; 1st February 2015 at 10:14. Reason: adding GO as my second fave

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing Tim... It's a deeply impressive collection and healthy to see someone going their own way with their choices!

What is really clear from your post is that you enjoy them all and (when you break it down) that is ultimately the purpose of owning these things!

I hope you continue to enjoy them and are settling in well in Bangkok...

Ben

Lovely eclectic mix of watches Tim, great photography too. Thank you for the SOTC.

Master
    Whilst not my taste I can really appreciate that as a collection some lovely pieces. Nice to see.

Journeyman
    Love the collection. Not one watch I couldn't see myself wearing and it's refreshing to see so much gold in someone's collection. Particular favourites are the Glashutte and the corum, never seen that one before. Thanks for sharing.

What happened to your gold rolex GMT tim?? Don't tell me you sold it or traded it!!!!!!!

Stunning collection and photography. Thanks for sharing. I actually think the Moser is the pick of the bunch!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    What happened to your gold rolex GMT tim?? Don't tell me you sold it or traded it!!!!!!!
    I did actually sell that But I bought another It doesn't count as in my collection as it is still in the UK I will probably sell it Not decided yet I have few others in the UK in the same undecided boat

Thats a lovely and nicely spread collection.

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    I did actually sell that But I bought another It doesn't count as in my collection as it is still in the UK I will probably sell it Not decided yet I have few others in the UK in the same undecided boat
    Phew! Don't forget me if you do decide to sell! ;)

Fantastic Tim, I can see by the quality you have "left" that it couldn't have been a real 'hardship' letting the others go

Wow,I am in the wrong job! nice reduced collection

Journeyman
    Wow. Absolutely stunning. Had not seen that GO before but love it. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the commentary on the watches. Interesting stories.

I'm always intrigued by your collection, Tim, and can only thank you for taking the time to take great pictures and provide the insight.

It probably says more about my 'safe' taste that my two favourites are the less unique styles of the GO and the Moser, but regardless of the styling being classic and accepted designs, they are far from conventional.

I think the Daytona looks superb on the leather, however, alarmed that it is your 'beater'

Great post.
    Not all to my taste but, undeniably, each watch has a place in the collection.
    That Moser is stunning and, having read the story behind the vintage Omega, along with your feelings on vintage in general, Im really glad you opted to keep it.
    The very best thing about the collection as a whole is its not predictable.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    That is a truly awesome selection of watches and the photography is superb. I sincerely thank you for sharing. What are the watches you have bubbling under at the moment?
    There is one tearing me apart. I should never have sold my Zenith Doublematic. Stupid mistake. I will have to find another.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice collection tim. The daytona works remarkably well on the white rubber b IMO.

Thanks for sharing Tim. I can see why you've kept the ones you have. I particularly like the Moser Monard and your Seamaster.

I really love the pearl dialled watches, but I they are not my style - the Daytona on while Rubber-B look great, the pearl is stunning.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Just goes to show,different strokes for different folks.
    I like the GO and the '67 Seamaster.

Like the fact they're all so different.

Our of curiosity what did you do with all your cars?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Like the fact they're all so different.

Our of curiosity what did you do with all your cars?
    I have no cars now. I don't intend to drive for at least the next few years. I have completely changed the way I live.

Master
    Lovely sotc java, I always like to see your watches which aren't the standard ones.

There is one tearing me apart. I should never have sold my Zenith Doublematic. Stupid mistake. I will have to find another.
    Thanks. Had to google that. Having seen it, it's easy to see it would fit in.

Typical WIS choices. When, oh when, will somebody demonstrate a little individuality?

Some stunning pieces there, most impressed. Love the Moser, I'm getting more and more smitten with them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Typical WIS choices. When, oh when, will somebody demonstrate a little individuality?

A PROPER WIS would have 15 things that look virtually identical to anybody but a fellow geek!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wexford View Post
    Some stunning pieces there, most impressed. Love the Moser, I'm getting more and more smitten with them.

There are people who make a watch as well as Moser. There is no-one however who makes one better

Master
    That is a cracking (and individual) collection. Thank you for sharing.

The Piaget Upstream is a new one on me and has got me going back for second and third looks. What a clever design. And that Corum Bubble - I'd forgotten about the Skeleton version.

Apparently I am wrong though - my three year old son rates the Zenith Chronomaster.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

(That's basically Thai for LOL. Thai for 5 is said as Ha so 555 is text speak for Ha Ha Ha)

Eclectic,bold,different,defiant- it rocks.
    Good luck in Thailand.

Lovely variety in those photos - I remember when I first saw a pic if your corum I thought it looked mad. Now I rather like it!

BKK

I have no cars now. I don't intend to drive for at least the next few years. I have completely changed the way I live.
    Sawadee kap Java-lovely collection agreed the Moser is stunning and like your new Seiko

Buy a car and see the country (or are you a city boy?) mind you the bus service from Morchit is cheap and comprehensive I visit BKK very rarely I like the peace and quite of a village in Issan enjoy your new way of life.

Very nice indeed, particularly like the GO and the Parmigianis- led to believe he's maybe the greatest living watchmaker?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Very nice indeed, particularly like the GO and the Parmigianis- led to believe he's maybe the greatest living watchmaker?
    Who says that?
    I'd contend FP Journe, Greubel & Forsey, and Philippe DuFour are just as much in the same echelon, as well as a couple of others, not least those behind Piaget's movement designs.

Great collection Tim.

Loving the Moser and Zenith, though reckon there is a UN shaped gap in there.

Malc

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68 View Post
    Great collection Tim.

Loving the Moser and Zenith, though reckon there is a UN shaped gap in there.

Malc
    Thanks Malcolm. UN is definitely missing. There will likely be further additions over time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post
    Whilst not my taste I can really appreciate that as a collection some lovely pieces. Nice to see.

+1

The only two I'd wear are the FF and the GO.

Master
    Wouldn't mind having the Moser and the Hemispheres.

Great collection. Nice to see so much variety with watches bought because you like them, rather than 'what's safe?'

You rarely see a Corum on the forum and Parmigiani brand is also pretty special. I'm not a fan of pearl dials but can see how these sit in your collection as everything has that little bit extra about them. Lovely stuff

Great photos too. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Some very interesting pieces to say the least.

I'm not much of a gold guy, but that GO is really something else

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    fantastic eclectic collection there. a couple of which have got me twitching (GO for definate). Also the round faced Parmigiana is lovely (i have a Kalpa already). the attraction of these is probably indicative of my feeling the need to act my age a bit more!

if that's the half that are left it would have been great to see the lot, presumably some more unusal pieces in there.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    fantastic eclectic collection there. a couple of which have got me twitching (GO for definate). Also the round faced Parmigiana is lovely (i have a Kalpa already). the attraction of these is probably indicative of my feeling the need to act my age a bit more!

if that's the half that are left it would have been great to see the lot, presumably some more unusal pieces in there.
    There were some odd ones in the other half. I genuinely try, when buying watches, to exclude above all, what anyone else may think of them. It is quite liberating

Master
    There were some odd ones in the other half. I genuinely try, when buying watches, to exclude above all, what anyone else may think of them. It is quite liberating
    i've a couple of 'marmite's' too, including a PVD Corum limited edition Admirals Cup that i bought a few years back when all and sundry went black and i couldn't get the PAM i wanted.

makes a change from the SS Rolex.

Master
    Lovely and eclectic collection there OP - some stunning pieces (and some, ahem, very individual pieces too!).

You have re-ignited my left field itch for a Corum bubble watch however!

As always - interesting choices.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Very nice collection, with some very interesting watches. My personal favorite is the Zenith Chrono, what a stunner!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    You have re-ignited my left field itch for a Corum bubble watch however!
    And started one for me.....

Beginning to think that being a member here is a bad idea - its certainly an expensive one.