closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any suggestion at loosening a bracelet screw?

Master

Any suggestion at loosening a bracelet screw?

Before I admit defect I wonder if anyone got any idea about loosening a very tight bracelet screw. I have managed to do it on one side but just can't move the screws on the other side to take link out! Doh!

The bracelet is held together by long collars with small screws to secure the collars. To prevent collars from rotating there is a thread at one end. I don't want to strip the screw threads but it will not budge. Is there a tool to make life easier or am I doing it all wrong? Thanks

Try heating it up with a hot air blower or hot water. Should do the trick.

Apprentice
    Penetrating Oil such as Mouse Milk is the bees knees if you can get hold of it other wise try some WD-40 let that penetrate for half an hour or so, then you'll be away laughing

The first thing to do is to make sure the driver fits the slot exactly. Manufacturers seem pretty keen on the use of thread-lock so it's a fairly safe bet that is the cause of your problem. You can obtain thread-lock solvent but most people just apply heat to the screw thread by soaking it in hot water. If this doesn't do the trick you can wheel out the big guns and apply a clean soldering iron to the threads. TBH I've never tried this but I'm told it's very effective.

Have a read here http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...et-screws-help!

Got it sorted with a gas flame!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Got it sorted with a gas flame!!
    Aye, but you stopped short of giving it a custom look with blued screws....ya chicken!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Aye, but you stopped short of giving it a custom look with blued screws....ya chicken!

Seriously, careful exposure to a gas-flame is the best way..........I said careful!

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Seriously, careful exposure to a gas-flame is the best way..........I said careful!

Paul
    I may melt the gold or worse incinerate the diamonds. Thanks Paul but I will be careful. My wife has been trying to get me to resize a few watches for her unsuccessfully and I may have a go at hers first. What is a pain is securing the collar whilst trying to loosen the screw! Any suggestion as using 2 screwdrivers is really fiddly?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    Any suggestion as using 2 screwdrivers is really fiddly?
    It's what I used on the Pequignet and Deep Blue – both of whom didn't use glue!
    Funnily enough, during my extended time the Pequignet, it never unloosened a screw, and likewise the Perrelet (thus far at least).
    Personally, and I don't care the price of the item using them, I'd not bother with "glue" and if I felt compelled, I'd check the ones I'd touched after a week or two, or longer to see if they'd budged at all.
    If they had, then, and only then, would I consider resorting to gluing them.

I bought one of these...
    http://watchpart.co.uk/economy-screw...nt-p-5132.html
    ...(but about half the price from eBay) for changing my Oris strap (2mm) but it would do the job with the smaller blades I presume (I've seen jewellers use these). It won't "unstick" a sticky thread, but it'll stop the collar twiddling around in the hole (fnarrr, fnarrr). It also stops the whole 2 screwdriver "why have you turned the air blue when all you're doing is changing a strap, dear" comments...
    Last edited by CH47Driver; 27th January 2015 at 20:26. Reason: I forgot the frikkin link