closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ouch!! Milgauss smash up!!!

Master
    Ouch indeed. My heart sank when I saw that photo. I would be devastated.

Journeyman
    My worst nightmare, and kind of inevitable one day I reckon, my luck is like that!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat View Post
    What makes you think there will be glass in the date wheel?
    Milgauss date wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    Milgauss date wheel?
    Hahaha!!

I didn't click either :))

Grand Master
    OK, I stand corrected.....no date wheel to worry about. If the owner's lucky, the fragments won't have reached the movement. The dial will be a snug fit against the rehaut ring. I still think dial removal is sensible to inspect. There may be slight cosmetic damage to the dial that's hard to spot, and if the owner's happy to live with this he'll get away with not replacing the dial.

Bill Rice would be my choice on this one.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    Milgauss date wheel?
    Exactly my point ;-)

Grand Master
    Bit of polywatch and half hour with a cape cod and she will be like new! ;)
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Bit of polywatch and half hour with a cape cod and she will be like new! ;)
    Whack it on SC and leave it to the buyers discretion.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Blog Entries
    The third strongest substance know on earth... a sapphire green crystal.

After:

1) Diamond
    2) Some flooring

Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Why does Rolex design its watches so the crystal actually protrudes above the bezel? - even the models with turning bezels lije the Submariner look to have been purposely designed like this. Seems a really odd decision - why not make it flush?
    I think you have to look at their journey - many earlier models had a pronounced top-hat (admittedly plexi) crystal. The modern ones have a much less protruding one and who knows what the future will hold. This only occurred to me this afternoon while staring absent-mindedly at my Snowflake.

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Hahaha!!

I didn't click either :))
    LOL, nor me... twas generic advice given to me when i was working with an independent Rolex watchmaker who has done a lot of watches with this damage and had a few come in while i was on site. He showed me just how small the glass shards can be and how they get in everything. even under hands and micro scratch the dial etc. It was humbling to see what happens inside when the outside looks like you might get away with it. Popped jewels were also in evidence on a number of watches that had been dropped as well, its what the anti shock stuff is meant to do and it worked well but needs a watchmaker to put right of course, no home fixes there.

I did this Breitling Chronomat recently

With the movement removed the only particles of any substance were three shards on the dial, one stuck under the running seconds hand which stopped the watch

I didn't remove the dial to inspect as the owner was on a tight budget, so it was just a clean up of the dial, a new crystal and gasket, a re-seal and pressure test. I was surprised how little debris there was on the dial, I would have expected a lot more micro particles - maybe something to do with Breitlings type of sapphire crystal perhaps? The watch could have done with a service to be honest and I passed this info on to the owner, but it's back on his wrist and to my knowledge is still ticking away merrily!

Master
    Great job.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    I did this Breitling Chronomat recently

Good lord, the crystals on those are small, sunken below the inner bezel and quite thick given the modest WR (see below), and it's standard sapphire, nothing special but stronger than mineral. It must have taken a hell of a thump to do that:

...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    It's just a good quality laminate, that's all!
    It's not laminate, Karndean is an expensive vinyl flooring. Second only to Amtico in price. Comes in around £60 - £75m2!! Our 50m2 extension is just about to be done in Karndean Da Vinci, and Yes, I feel sick at the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    Yes, - try Robin Martin in Portsmouth.
    They have a website www.robinmartin.co.uk
    That's a useful link. Never come across him before. He might be the chap to sort out my great grandfather's hunter...

We could almost do with a South Coast forum for this kind of stuff (like they do on that famous motoring website that everyone I know is currently banned from!)

Craftsman

Thumbs up

Oh No,

Sorry to see that, is it insured !!!!!!!

Master
    Years ago my son dropped my Breitling colt superocean professional, on to a ceramic tiled floor from approx 4ft, the only visible damage I could see was a very slight graze to a rider tab.I sent it back for a full service and polish to Breitling, I was told there was no other damage, love them or hate them looks like the tabs do give protection and would definitely have another for that reason.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    Yes, - try Robin Martin in Portsmouth.
    They have a website www.robinmartin.co.uk
    Just had a quote at £680 :(

Quote Originally Posted by JonW View Post
    often you pop a jewel out and that stops the drivetrain, a service would fix that, plus you would want one anyway, there will be glass in the movt and date wheel... :(
    My Milgauss doesn't have a date wheel ??

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    My Milgauss doesn't have a date wheel ??
    Is it fake? ;)

Mine doesn't either - but then I just noticed it still has all its stickers still on it! I can't believe I have had it from new and just kept it like that - in fact it sits on a side table and I doubt I've ever worn it out of the house. I'm tempted to peel all the stickers off now, but then thinking, if I haven't worn the bloody thing for all this time, maybe I don't really need it taking up space on a side table
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by JonW View Post
    often you pop a jewel out and that stops the drivetrain, a service would fix that, plus you would want one anyway, there will be glass in the movt and date wheel... :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Is it fake? ;)

Mine doesn't either - but then I just noticed it still has all its stickers still on it! I can't believe I have had it from new and just kept it like that - in fact it sits on a side table and I doubt I've ever worn it out of the house. I'm tempted to peel all the stickers off now, but then thinking, if I haven't worn the bloody thing for all this time, maybe I don't really need it taking up space on a side table
    Hope it's not fake 😱
    I got it off sales corner when the other went in for a service as my arm felt bare. 😎
    Just bought a really old Oris (1950's) really beat up and tatty but something sweet about it, off eBay!! £52

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    I'm pretty sure when I was researching my GV purchase there was talk of the GV crystal being more fragile (somehow) to the normal clear sapphire?!
    NOW you tell me!!!!!
    😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

Master
    Ohhh that must have hurt emotionally - I love my milgauss and I would have been distraught.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Looks like a lot of damage for such a small drop, anti-magnetic maybe, anti-gravity not
    That's funny! LOL