closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is this Worth Restoring?

Craftsman

Question Is this Worth Restoring?

Sorting through all my 'stuff' if preparation for moving I discovered this rather sad old clock.

I know the weights are around somewhere and possibly a chime.

What can people tell me about it and is it worth getting restored please?

Like most things, it could well be worth restoring. However, it's quite likely that the cost would make it financially not worthwhile for the post-restoration value of it. Is there any sentimentality behind it - was it a parent / grandparent's clock ?

Apprentice
    I often get involved in projects that end up cash flow negative.
    But I just hate to see a lovely clock or watch go to scrap.

Craftsman
    It was a 'project' that belonged to my late wife that was going to be done 'sometime', I don't believe there's any significant family history associated with the clock.

I just wondering if anyone knew if the maker's were particularly noteworthy or just another clockmaker.

Master
    Colchester had quite a reputation for watch & clock making in the 18/19th century. Google Tymperlys watch & clock museum to get the latest info'. The old Tudor framed house containing the collection was closed in 2010 & has re-opened as a sort of cafe/function venue. The collection has been moved, but with a little research I'm sure you would be able to get in touch with the curator of the collection, & might be able to give you more detailed information about your lovely clock.

Craftsman
    Many thanks for the advice, I will try to track the curator down.

Personally I think a lovely old clock like that is always worth repairing.

Hope you find out a bit more history about it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Depends on how busy a life its had and if its been looked after. What happens to your car if it never gets a service.........it magically turns into scrap.
    I'd definitely give it a go, is everything complete?

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Colchester had quite a reputation for watch & clock making in the 18/19th century. Google Tymperlys watch & clock museum to get the latest info'. The old Tudor framed house containing the collection was closed in 2010 & has re-opened as a sort of cafe/function venue. The collection has been moved, but with a little research I'm sure you would be able to get in touch with the curator of the collection, & might be able to give you more detailed information about your lovely clock.
    What wonderful advice.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    Depends on how busy a life its had and if its been looked after. What happens to your car if it never gets a service.........it magically turns into scrap.
    I'd definitely give it a go, is everything complete?
    The movement appears to be complete and I think it has most of its 'dangly bits' (chains and weights), some of the metal inlay from the wood surround has disappeared and I think the chime coils will need to be replaced.

IMHO yes it is worth repairing, restoring not so sure. I would definitely wouldn't touch the dial.

I've always had bother finding replacement glass mainly. The chime coils, maybe wouldn't be able to find originals but there are plenty of other about that would do the job. Its very satisfying bringing an otherwise dead clock back to life....Go for it!

Craftsman
    I got in touch with the Colchester and Ipswich Museum Service who suggested that I contact a local clockmaker, not that they aren't able to give any any recommendations but we did talk about who serviced their collection…
    …I contacted http://www.ajamesjewellers.co.uk in Saffron Walden and got this reply:
    A Black Forest 'Postman's Clock', name on dial is the retailer, nice brass inlay, spring looks to be the gong.
    A full overhaul will probably be £300 +VAT subject to seeing it and about 2 to 3 months.
    Seems reasonable so I'll get the clock sorted.

Some pics of the mechanism: