closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stowa - automatic vs manual wind

Master

Stowa - automatic vs manual wind

Hi
    I've been looking at Stowa Fliegler range and see they have both manual wind and automatic variants. The manual wind is €300 more expensive. Apart from personal preference I just wondered if paying the extra for the manual wind is worth it? Does a manual wind keep better time or need less frequent servicing?
    Thanks
    David

Personal taste, the handwind movement itself is also more expensive. I guess people prefer the handwind movement as they feel it more authentic and presumably the case is a bit larger.

Which one are you looking at? The Ikarus is nice for something a bit different or have you had a look at Mule Glashutte?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Personal taste, the handwind movement itself is also more expensive. I guess people prefer the handwind movement as they feel it more authentic and presumably the case is a bit larger.

Which one are you looking at? The Ikarus is nice for something a bit different or have you had a look at Mule Glashutte?
    I was looking at the Flieger 6498 hand winding €1,130 vs the Automatic version at €840. As far as I can tell the only difference is the movement. An extra €200 seems a bit steep for a manual wind.

Having said that I also love the Stowa MO and that's a manual wind too.

Frankly I d like both! I keep coming back to them time and again which tells me they're probably ones I should get (finances permitting) at some point

The manual is 1mm larger and a couple of mm thicker than the auto. My only complaint about the manual is the lack of a center seconds hand, the seconds hand is either missing or on a subdial.

Master
    Great to have a manual winding watch in rotation with another auto. I'd love to have another one (sold my speedy). If you don't wear it for a few days just keep it wound up. Also makes you feel more connected with the time piece. At least that's how i feel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    The manual is 1mm larger and a couple of mm thicker than the auto. My only complaint about the manual is the lack of a center seconds hand, the seconds hand is either missing or on a subdial.
    Hmmm must admit as nice as the idea of a manual wind sounds I'd prefer to have a central seconds hand

Quote Originally Posted by David r View Post
    I was looking at the Flieger 6498 hand winding €1,130 vs the Automatic version at €840. As far as I can tell the only difference is the movement. An extra €200 seems a bit steep for a manual wind.

Having said that I also love the Stowa MO and that's a manual wind too.

Frankly I d like both! I keep coming back to them time and again which tells me they're probably ones I should get (finances permitting) at some point
    I have my eye on the Baumuster B its a cracking looking watch. I was thinking of getting the Ikarus but the MG Terrasport 3 (Cream dial 40mm version) has caught my eye as well as their pilots watch. The Marine is nice but I like the Tourby marine watches, I like the choice of movements, hands, crown etc with them.

Apprentice
    I am in the same boat. I love the Stowa marine watches, wish they made a manual version with center second hand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I have my eye on the Baumuster B its a cracking looking watch. I was thinking of getting the Ikarus but the MG Terrasport 3 (Cream dial 40mm version) has caught my eye as well as their pilots watch. The Marine is nice but I like the Tourby marine watches, I like the choice of movements, hands, crown etc with them.
    Ooh I've never come across these watches before. I'll check them out.

Once upon a time Stowa had a gentleman that modified the hand winding Unitas movements to center seconds and they sold the watch as the Flieger Original, it was a perfectly sized 41mm with 22mm lugs and about 12mm in thickness. The gentleman that did the modification died a few years ago and Stowa has not offered the FO since then.

They still sell a version of that watch but it no longer has a center seconds, it has a subdial at 6 or no seconds hand. The big Unitas movement fills up the sapphire crystal on the back of the watch and looks fantastic. The same movement is in the Marine Original.

The 40mm flieger Stowa currently sells has a 2824 automatic movement. A few years ago when ETA 2801 hand winding movements were available you could request your flieger be built with the 2801 for a 50 Eu premium. I had a Baumuster B built with the 2801 at this time. It is quite nice but the smaller 2801 does not look as impressive as the more substantial Unitas movement when looking at the back of the watch. I also have an A dial flieger with the 2824 Top movement. Although the A dial is 1mm thicker to accomodate the auto's rotor the watches wear the same and I enjoy both of them. I would prefer the larger 41mm case with the Unitas center seconds but since it is unavailable I am happy with my 40mm fliegers.

The watches are below. I do not have a photo of the 2824 from the backside but the Top movement is finished as nicely or perhaps even better than the 2801.

Baunuster B

The 2824 A dial

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    Once upon a time Stowa had a gentleman that modified the hand winding Unitas movements to center seconds and they sold the watch as the Flieger Original, it was a perfectly sized 41mm with 22mm lugs and about 12mm in thickness. The gentleman that did the modification died a few years ago and Stowa has not offered the FO since then.

They still sell a version of that watch but it no longer has a center seconds, it has a subdial at 6 or no seconds hand. The big Unitas movement fills up the sapphire crystal on the back of the watch and looks fantastic. The same movement is in the Marine Original.

The 40mm flieger Stowa currently sells has a 2824 automatic movement. A few years ago when ETA 2801 hand winding movements were available you could request your flieger be built with the 2801 for a 50 Eu premium. I had a Baumuster B built with the 2801 at this time. It is quite nice but the smaller 2801 does not look as impressive as the more substantial Unitas movement when looking at the back of the watch. I also have an A dial flieger with the 2824 Top movement. Although the A dial is 1mm thicker to accomodate the auto's rotor the watches wear the same and I enjoy both of them. I would prefer the larger 41mm case with the Unitas center seconds but since it is unavailable I am happy with my 40mm fliegers.

The watches are below. I do not have a photo of the 2824 from the backside but the Top movement is finished as nicely or perhaps even better than the 2801.

Baunuster B

The 2824 A dial
    absolutely lovely watches. How do you find the Baumuster B. It looks great but I worry the dial layout would take some getting used to

My Handwind and auto Stowa's

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by David r View Post
    absolutely lovely watches. How do you find the Baumuster B. It looks great but I worry the dial layout would take some getting used to
    Thank you.

I must really like the Baumuster B, I've bought one (an auto), flipped it and then bought my current one.

When you look at the dial it is somewhat combersome at first, and then after some study you realize it is likely the best watch ever on which to learn how to tell time - I suspect this is why it replaced the A dial. The minute hand points at the minute markers with the arabic numbers every 5 ticks - if you can count to 60 you instantly know how many minutes have elapsed since the top of the hour. The hour hand points directly at an hour wheel with each of the hours numbered. It is rather brilliant in the way it simplifies telling time.

My only complaints are that the blue of the hands is not nearly as prominent on the B dial (compared to the A dial), a combination of the busy dial, smaller hour hand and lack of blue on the seconds hand. I wish the seconds hand was a bit thicker and easier to see. Other than that it is quite handsome and I really enjoy wearing it.

Master
    IMHO a flieger watch should either have central seconds or no seconds at all.

I much prefer hand wound movements to autos, but unfortunately they are rare as hen's teeth with centre seconds.

I have a Steinhart Navigator with the B dial (which I personally prefer to the A dial) and it's an auto with a closed back. Not ideal, but the best compromise for me.

Master
    Thanks for all the views and great photos. Having thought it through I do definitely want a central second hand. Whether it's then a Baumuster B or a standard Flieger could tie me up in knots. Frankly I'll go for the first one that comes up for sale.