closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese whiskey

Japanese whiskey

Thought I would share this, I seem to remember there are a few who enjoy a drop on here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-industry.html

I was sceptically introduced to some Japanese whiskey last week and I have to confess it was gorgeous in both taste and smoothness. Highly recommend their single malt!

Master
    I was introduced to Japanese whiskey in 1997 and there are some crackers.

My daily still remains a Laphroaig though.

Hibiki 21 is sublime.

Daily drop Lagavulin 16 so I don't normally go for the sweeter options.

Currently drinking:
    - Nikka from the Barrel
    - Nikka Black, Red and White
    - Yoichi 10
    - Taketsuru NAS
    I think the Spirit of Asama is gone, as is the Hibiki 17.

I drink a lot of Japanese, especially Nikka (but then, I'm a massive Springbank fan). NHK even have a 150 episode drama about the founder, Masataka Taketsuru and his wife Rita on at the moment (Massan).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Hibiki 21 is sublime.

Daily drop Lagavulin 16 so I don't normally go for the sweeter options.
    Lagavulin 16 is one of my favorites too....that or an Ardbeg can always be found at our house

A useless fact:

Rod Stewart used to advertise Black Nikka (no sniggering!) whisky in Japan.

http://www.popsike.com/ROD-STEWART-N...124594421.html

Ah yes Nikka from the Barrel, a classic. I also bought a mate Nikka Coffey (Still) a few weeks back and from what I remember (we finished the bottle) it was delicious.

'From the Barrel' is very palatable neat for a strong'ish whisky: 53% I think off the top of my head. Love the funky bottle too even if it is in a cheeky 50cl size.

The Japanese do really give the Scots a decent run on the whisky front!

Master

Daily drop Lagavulin 16 so I don't normally go for the sweeter options. My daily still remains a Laphroaig though.
    Love both. But Lagavulin Distiller's Edition.............. A Class Apart. A very close second Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It's a shame that Tesco don't stock Yamazaki any more - used to be one of my favourite tipples.

As we're on the topic, I've just acquired one of these as a Christmas present to myself...

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies...vent-calendar/

3cl of each of the following...

- Dalmore King Alexander III
    - Bowmore 23 Year Old 1989 Port Matured
    - Mortlach 18 Year Old
    - Johnnie Walker Blue Label
    - Reference Series III.2
    - Nikka Taketsuru 17 Year Old
    - Yoichi 20 Year Old
    - Glenfiddich 21 Year Old
    - Glenfarclas 40 Year Old
    - Balvenie 21 Year Old PortWood Finish
    - Paul John Peated Select Cask
    - The Lost Distilleries Blend - Batch 6
    - Hudson Baby Bourbon
    - Dalmore 18 Year Old
    - Balvenie 15 Year Old Single Barrel Sherry Cask
    - Glen Garioch 1999
    - Highland Park 18 Year Old
    - Rock Town Bourbon - Batch 1 (That Boutique-y Whisky Company)
    - Isle of Jura 21 Year Old
    - The Girvan Patent Still Single Grain 25 Year Old Launch Edition
    - Teeling Silver Reserve 21 Year Old 1991 Single Malt
    - Spirit of Hven Urania
    - Jura 22 Year Old - Old Particular (Douglas Laing)
    - Auchentoshan Virgin Oak

Is it December 1st yet ???

PS - it's only Whiskey if it's Irish (or you're American) AFAIC

I visited the Yamazaki distillery in Japan, great tour with a very good bar at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Currently drinking:
    - Nikka from the Barrel
    - Nikka Black, Red and White
    - Yoichi 10
    - Taketsuru NAS
    I think the Spirit of Asama is gone, as is the Hibiki 17.

I drink a lot of Japanese, especially Nikka (but then, I'm a massive Springbank fan). NHK even have a 150 episode drama about the founder, Masataka Taketsuru and his wife Rita on at the moment (Massan).
    Ah yes Nikka from the Barrel, a classic. I also bought a mate Nikka Coffey (Still) a few weeks back and from what I remember (we finished the bottle) it was delicious.

'From the Barrel' is very palatable neat for a strong'ish whisky: 53% I think off the top of my head. Love the funky bottle too even if it is in a cheeky 50cl size.

I'm going to order some Nikka tonight now for sure. This forum costs me too much!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    Love both. But Lagavulin Distiller's Edition.............. A Class Apart. A very close second Laphroaig Quarter Cask.
    Now there is a man with taste.

I've a bottle of Yamazaki 18, bought for my 40th last year. Haven't opened it yet however, waiting for the right moment, but I'm sure going to enjoy it when that cork stopper first pops off.

Journeyman
    I'll definitely have to try some of their efforts.

The thing with me and whisky is that it gives me crippling heartburn and the desire to be sick after 2 or 3 small glasses.

Yamazaki fan here - my go to bottle is their 12 year old which is simple but beautiful. Bought a mate a bottle of the 18 yr old for his 40th, which is stunningly nice. Definitely my favourite whisky and glad to see one of their bottles win.

Master
    Had this come through on email today. whiskey exchange

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I've a bottle of Yamazaki 18, bought for my 40th last year. Haven't opened it yet however, waiting for the right moment, but I'm sure going to enjoy it when that cork stopper first pops off.
    Thats a great bottle of whisky! The price has sky rocketed in the last few years which is a great shame :-(
    I've not tried Hibiki yet but I keep dropping hints to her in doors...what with Christmas looming and all...
    Nikka from the barrel - for those who like whisky, but havn't dipped their feet into the exotic waters of Japan is a pretty stunning introduction. Its a really good value for money proposition in my eyes - Try it!

and Amnesia.. I really really wish you hadn't shared that link!

I'll give another+1 to Hibiki. Smooth as you like- nice

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hibiki 21 is sublime.
    Love Hibiki!!!

Just regarding Yamazaki 12, as I do have a small whisky import business in Singapore and we talk to Nikka and Suntory the recent surge in interest in J Whisky has meant the 12 is close to being totally sold out (and the 18 is close behind). So stock up whilst you can!

A similar situation is happening with the 'younger' Scotch single malts, the 12Y and 10Y were being made in the early 2000s in a recession when Whisky wasn't popular. They didn't make enough of it....

Hence why you see the 10 and 12Yrs disappearing from Duty Free and being replaced by no-age statement bottles: Talisker 'Dark Storm" and Macallan Distiller's Choice etc. rather than their 10Y and 12Y respectively. I hear another staple of mine: Laphroiag 10 is also thinning out. The distillers won't say how long these non age statement bottles are aged, but it is believed it is more like 7-8 years. The Macallan especially is very disappointing and a shocker for such a noble brand.
    Last edited by proby24; 5th November 2014 at 03:55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I visited the Yamazaki distillery in Japan, great tour with a very good bar at the end.
    That has to go on my todo list. Love Yamazaki whiskyand have always fancied visiting Japan.

Yamazaki 18 is a stunning whisky. I'm just sad I didn't buy more of it 3 or 4 years ago when it was about £65 a bottle!

The 18 has gone crazy now. Was about £100 in the summer, now closer to £150.

Yamazaki 18 is my current favourite. In Japan, the price has remained constant ( about ¥20,000 ) and it's still easy to find. I bought 3 bottles at an electronics store ( Bic Camera, for those that know Japan ) for a friend recently and they had plenty left.

Export prices will change with the exchange rate ( the pound has been between 116 yen and 245 yen in recent years - a huge range ) and of course, any advantage the importer can extract due to a surge in demand !

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Export prices will change with the exchange rate ( the pound has been between 116 yen and 245 yen in recent years - a huge range ) and of course, any advantage the importer can extract due to a surge in demand !

Paul
    The price *should* have fallen, in line with the Yen, surely? I've not noticed any exchange rate-related changes in prices of even basic Japanese whisk(e)y over the past four years, even tho' we now get the best part of 180 Yen to the Pound, rather than 130.

Number One Drinks Co is, I believe, the main UK distributor. They now hold the exclusive rights to Chichibu, Hanyu and Karuizawa...

Well if it was a commodity of unlimited supply, one would expect it to fall in pounds as the value of the pound rose BUT not immediately. Importers costs do not vary with spot price - more likely budgeted on an annual basis, or on a transfer-pricing deal, so they may have bought or committed to buy at a "worse" price until the next budget deal.

Of course, it's not unlimited supply and if demand is rising in the short term, they can charge what they like :-)

Paul

You just told me that the price had remained relatively constant in Japan...

Hey ho.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    Now there is a man with taste.

Thank You! Kind sir.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Any of these highly recommended? Sounds like that last box of 12 year Yamazaki for £41 is a good buy!

Been on the shelves out here for donkeys

Last edited by kultschar; 6th November 2014 at 19:45.

Get the Yam12 - you won't be disappointed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Get the Yam12 - you won't be disappointed.
    Will do on my way home lol

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    The 18 has gone crazy now. Was about £100 in the summer, now closer to £150.
    The better half bought me mine, I think she paid the best part of £100 last year. I knew these bottles were gaining in value however not at that rate!

I have a few fingers left of the Yamazaki 18 I bought in Japan while at the distillery, trying not to finish it! Highly recommend the tour, very interesting, lots of tasting as the Japanese aren't really used to drinking that much, then there's a whisky library and a bar with lots of very limited editions you can't find anywhere else at reasonable prices per measure.

I agree Nikka in the bottle is excellent value for the taste and I also bought a nice blend in heavy samurai armour, whose head you remove to pour.

I do like a nice malt and I tried a couple of Japanese malts a few days go while in Wicked, Glasgow. (I spotted them on the shelf so I just had to try them) One was a 12 year old Yamazaki. The other was a similarly aged Japanese malt and the name eludes me just now. Both were very nice.

I do still prefer my Edradour Cask Strength which is produced in sherry casks but we all have or own preferences.

This is an interesting Japanese malt if you fancy a bottle at £10k!!, (if you can get one):

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies...e-malt-whisky/

I tried my first Japanese whiskey this year with the Hakushu Heavily Peated and I have to say it's bloody lovely.

Master
    Tried a Yamazaki a few years ago, just superb. The Japanese make fantastic beer too.

I've just started my "winter season" of whiskey drinking. I still have a few left from my "Maltventory" from a while ago, plus numerous additions gifted to me in the interim. I'll give the orientals a go when I get through them. Maybe...... ;-) Slainte!
    Last edited by magirus; 7th November 2014 at 12:09.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    It's a shame that Tesco don't stock Yamazaki any more - used to be one of my favourite tipples.
    I'm pretty sure I saw some in my local very recently (12 YO), although it may have been the last of the stock.

Master
    Not a big fan of Yamazaki to be honest . Looked forwards to getting my first bottle after all the reviews and found it to be very disapointing and bland ; my normal tipple is Lagavulin with Laphroaig filling in sometimes. Maybe the Japanese caters more for a milder sweeter palate.

Although I am trying to source a bottle of Amrut Fusion.

I think the article is more about consternation to increase its reading figures ; it doesn't really mean anything if you ask me; fashion at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Mail order from Robbie's Drams for £49.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Not a big fan of Yamazaki to be honest . Looked forwards to getting my first bottle after all the reviews and found it to be very disapointing and bland ; my normal tipple is Lagavulin with Laphroaig filling in sometimes. Maybe the Japanese caters more for a milder sweeter palate.

I think the article is more about consternation to increase its reading figures ; it doesn't really mean anything if you ask me; fashion at best.
    Try the 18 year, it is anything but bland! I agree Re the 10 year.

The better half bought me mine, I think she paid the best part of £100 last year. I knew these bottles were gaining in value however not at that rate!
    The JAL lounge in Tokyo had a bottle on the counter while I was there, lets just say I had a few drams while it was free! Lovely

I used to really enjoy the blended Hibiki 17 YO. (the 12 YO was pretty decent too) but Japanese whisky has just rocketed in price over the last few years - it might be great whisky but not sure it's good value.

Interesting to see the English Whisky Company also picking up accolades - has anyone on here tried any of their offerings?

Master
    Blog Entries

I had a bottle of Nikka From The Barrel arrive yesterday. Very nice but my goodness it's strong; I had a couple of glasses neat whilst watching Homeland and feel distinctly groggy today 😵

Master
    I was drinking Nikka from the barrel at our Christmas do. Lovely stuff!

Master
    I have a bottle of Yamazaki sat on the table in front of me, bought by my partner as a Xmas present for me.
    She works for a suntory owned company in the UK, and just thought I'd want to try their whisky, ( bless her ).
    Can't report back yet as I haven't opened it, but it won't be long.

Craftsman
    My partner also bought me a bottle of Yamazaki for Christmas. It's fantastic. My normal tipple is laphroaig quarter cask.
    Last edited by Nudlar; 29th December 2014 at 21:37.

Banned
    Blog Entries