closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What after Breaking Bad??

Justified is excellent but it's hard to watch without developing a craving for Kentucky bourbon

Master
    Tyrant - very good. I really recommend anyone to watch this show 8/10 on IMDB

The Strain - a vampire apocalypse scenario which is fun to watch and not as depressing as the Walking Dead

Journeyman
    Some good options been mentioned, however one that hasn't is Gommorah (Sky Atlantic). Absolutely fantastic show, and if you thought the Soprano's was good and you can be bothered with subtitles you're in for a treat. All about the Italian mafia in Naples. Has a very real edge to it. Just got to be patient for a 2nd series now.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    So is The Shield on Netflix?
    It is. Currently working my way through it with my wife. A very good show.

Peaky Blinders for a high quality UK-made series.

If you can live with subtitles then French series Braquo is pretty good, at least season 1 is, season 2 is merde.

Plenty of stuff to watch free HERE

Try as i may though, I can't eseem to watch the first episode of The Walking Dead

Under the dome was great imo

John...

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Justified is excellent but it's hard to watch without developing a craving for Kentucky bourbon
    Another vote for Justified very good series and Battlestar Galactica.

Master
    I like Justify a lot.

Master
    Another vote for justified.
    Also Deadwood, if no one's mentioned it yet. Kinda like Sopranos with a lot more mud.

Having never watched Wire, BB, 24 etc...

I can say with all certainty that House Of Cards is the greatest thing I've ever seen.

I liked Suits for a bit of leave your brain at the door semi-comedic action.

Banned
    I read a book once. It was quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    The Wire pisses on BBad. Best show eve made.
    Agree! Although I also liked season 2... ;-)

-flugzeit

I'm not sure how popular this series was in the UK but I recently binge watched 4 years worth and have to say I loved it. Its not an Irish version of "The Wire" but has many similarities in terms of the way the series is more than just entertainment and gives you lots of insights (funny, serious, sad) into characters and social reality. Well worth it...
    Love/Hate: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1625724/

-flugzeit

Master
    I had the same dilemma after finishing Breaking bad and went for The Walking Dead. Have loved it and it more than compensated for not having Breaking Bad in my life anymore!

Realise it's not finished yet, but really enjoying The Strain, can't remember which channel it's on, Watch HD?

Finally an adult horror/vampire/infection/monster thing without sulky teenagers looking moody.

Written and I think directed at times by Guillermo del Toro.

The Following is worth a watch not in BB class though. Game of Thrones & Peaky Blinders for me at the moment.

Craftsman
    three here deffo worth a look imo

ray donovan

game of thrones

justfied

top telly..

The Shield is excellent.

Journeyman
    The Blacklist
    Damages
    House of Cards

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Is "The Wire" any good? I fancy having a look but the 710 isn't sold on it.
    couldn't recommend it enough, the best show I've seen by a long way. I've actually just started to watch it through again recently & it gets better every time

The Wire is a bit patchy, but contains the best TV crime writing I've ever seen - although IIRC George P Pelecanos was involved, and his fiction is excellent. There's a scene in the first series when Bunk and McNulty just say one word, over and over, for about two minutes, and always with a different meaning. Very funny.

And yet another vote for Justified.....

Anyone watched Sons of Anarchy?

Quote Originally Posted by simoscribbler View Post
    The Wire is a bit patchy, but contains the best TV crime writing I've ever seen - although IIRC George P Pelecanos was involved, and his fiction is excellent. There's a scene in the first series when Bunk and McNulty just say one word, over and over, for about two minutes, and always with a different meaning. Very funny.

And yet another vote for Justified.....
    The writing is outstanding, so many complex characters all with their own stories and so on. I love that scene, cracks me up every time

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    I really enjoyed this but the latest season has been a bit of a drag really

Master

I've just started watching it. 8 episodes into the first series and have yet to be won over. Not convinced by some of the casting or acting!

Master
    Used to really like SOA, missed out on it a bit lately.

Having never seen 1 episode of Breaking Bad is it worth taking the plunge and getting into it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post

Having never seen 1 episode of Breaking Bad is it worth taking the plunge and getting into it?
    Definitely!

Master
    Looks like there's 21 discs in the complete box set, that should keep me busy for a while.

Used to really like SOA, missed out on it a bit lately.

Yes to Breaking bad!!! Will give SOA a go.

Master
    As we've not got Sky just normal Freeview what's the best way of viewing Breaking Bad i.e. Netflix etc or should I just buy the box set and have done with it?

I've just started. Only watched two so far. A friend at work loves it.

Very well written and some good action and ongoing storylines to keep you hooked first five seasons the best and don't mess with Gemma!

Absolutely amazing.Highly recommend it.

Master
    As we've not got Sky just normal Freeview what's the best way of viewing Breaking Bad i.e. Netflix etc or should I just buy the box set and have done with it?
    Breaking Bad is a must see! After buying the full box set I found out it was on Netflix, save some money and go down the Netflix route!

SOA is mostly great but some of it is a bit daft. The Belfast bits especially.

Worth a watch though.

Orange is the new black is great.

Castle, though not in the same league as most mentioned here is good fun and has a good sense of humour. It doesn't hurt that Stana Katic is smoking hot.

I enjoyed Life but it got canned after 2 seasons.

Firefly is great for a bit of SciFi but again cancelled after 1 season.

Master
    Another vote for 'orange is the new black' but it should be noted that if you don't like lesbians/lesbian sex/lesbian nudity/lesbian violence all taking part in an American penal colony then you will not enjoy it!

True Detective is only eight episodes, so you might as well watch it and get it out of the way. Because you're going to have to watch it at some point. It's the best TV show I've seen in a long time.

Top ever: The Wire.

Currently: Third series of The Killing. Better than the second.

Oh and Generation Kill is well worth a watch too
    Last edited by acg; 4th November 2014 at 20:36.

Firefly is great for a bit of SciFi but again cancelled after 1 season.
    had this recommended to me after I claimed Freaks & Geeks was the best 1 season show ever, going to give it a go soon

Oh and Generation Kill is well worth a watch too
    Stay frosty, gents...

Just finished watching BB for the second time and it's almost better second time around, you see and notice stuff you didn't see first time , so I had the same dilemma and went for Orange is the new Black, it's great , very watchable lol....
    Cheers..
    Jase

The Bridge 1 & 2 for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunce View Post
    The Bridge 1 & 2 for me.
    Loved series 2, with a very odd ending. Watched it not realising there was a series 1. Now where can I find that, is it a dvd boxset purchase?

Journeyman
    As an American, I find it interesting that so much of the recommended stuff is from the USA.

When I was growing up, it was generally acknowledged that American TV was utter trash ("rubbish" as you guys like to say) and that the only thing really worth watching was UK productions - "Masterpiece Theater" over here. And that was true - American TV was simply pablum for the most part. The good stuff was coming across the pond ("Upstairs Downstairs", "I Claudius", "Monty Python" , "Fawlty Towers" etc). No comment on "Benny Hill".

While there is still a TON of shows I've watched from the UK courtesy of Netflix ("Downton", "Luther" "Survivors" and my current fave "Bletchley Circle") the quality of American TV has just skyrocketed. "Breaking Bad", "Mad Men" "Sopranos" "The Wire" aren't just great shows . . . they might be the greatest shows ever aired. Hell, those things are better than anything being spewed out by Hollywood.

Can't tell you how many times my wife and I elected to stay home and binge-watch "Breaking Bad" instead of plunking down $35 to watch the latest CGI-laden dreck at the local theater. Not just cheaper. Better.

Either way . . . it truly is the Golden Era for television.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bison61 View Post
    As an American, I find it interesting that so much of the recommended stuff is from the USA.

When I was growing up, it was generally acknowledged that American TV was utter trash ("rubbish" as you guys like to say) and that the only thing really worth watching was UK productions - "Masterpiece Theater" over here. And that was true - American TV was simply pablum for the most part. The good stuff was coming across the pond ("Upstairs Downstairs", "I Claudius", "Monty Python" , "Fawlty Towers" etc). No comment on "Benny Hill".

While there is still a TON of shows I've watched from the UK courtesy of Netflix ("Downton", "Luther" "Survivors" and my current fave "Bletchley Circle") the quality of American TV has just skyrocketed. "Breaking Bad", "Mad Men" "Sopranos" "The Wire" aren't just great shows . . . they might be the greatest shows ever aired. Hell, those things are better than anything being spewed out by Hollywood.

Can't tell you how many times my wife and I elected to stay home and binge-watch "Breaking Bad" instead of plunking down $35 to watch the latest CGI-laden dreck at the local theater. Not just cheaper. Better.

Either way . . . it truly is the Golden Era for television.
    Totally agree and very well said although we still do the odd decent show the American market is excelling itself!

If you like the Wire and the Shield then OZ is worth a watch, sure its gritty, but captivating as well.

Otherwise agree with most everything that has been said, tho not OITNB... thought it was terrible.

My The Wire boxset arrived yesterday so will get into that once I have finished watching Rectify, which is getting really good now, I'm up to season 2 episode 6.

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Loved series 2, with a very odd ending. Watched it not realising there was a series 1. Now where can I find that, is it a dvd boxset purchase?
    Series 1 is on DVD at Amazon for a tenner or so. Series 1 & 2 are £20 delivered.

Craftsman
    After BB I was stuck for a while and then tried House of Cards (US) - thought it was amazing and probably enjoyed it more than BB.

Also really enjoyed the Shield, The Killing, Dexter and to a lesser extent Sons of Anarchy.

Going to check out the Wire this week and then I fancy Boardwalk Empire.

Just had The Wire delivered on recommendation from this thread. Looking forward to watching that.

I mentioned in work that I had just bought it, to which my colleagues replied 'what planet have you been on?'

I did watch the first episode of The Wire a couple of weeks ago but couldn't understand a word of what they were saying, three times i replayed the part right at the beginning where the cop was talking to the black guy about the kid who got shot and there was a bit i could not make out.

The best television series i ever watched was The Sopranos, i loved Breaking Bad, but i would recommend this...