closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,350 of 1822

Thread: Formula 1 2014

Currently there is a system which activates DRS, in which case why not have a system which automatically reduces the top speed of the car. It could all be done remotely. Without the need of a safety car. It would have also have the additional benefit of not penalising a driver who have built up a significant lead over the car behind.

The brakes might go cold, but it's the same for everyone.

Simples.

The injury to Jules sounds like the sort boxers suffer when their heads hit the canvass. Hopefully he will be ok
    Last edited by Andyg; 8th October 2014 at 19:06.

Currently there is a system that 'enables' DRS, the driver is still responsible for activating it.

Master
    Lots being made of Massa screaming over the radio about it being too wet.

Trouble is, we're talking about a driver who has always struggled in the wet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Currently there is a system which activates DRS, in which case why not have a system which automatically reduces the top speed of the car. It could all be done remotely. Without the need of a safety car. It would have also have the additional benefit of not penalising a driver who have built up a significant lead over the car behind.

The brakes might go cold, but it's the same for everyone.
    That would be insane. Can you not imagine the consequences of being flat out through Eau Rouge or 130R & suddenly having someone else other than the driver cut the engine power? Even the Code 60 proposal is fraught with danger. Cars very often travel flat out with only a few meters between them. If the driver in front even lifts a little, let alone brakes, the the one behind is going to have a massive accident - see the Webber/Kovalainen 2010 crash at Valencia.

Racing is risky & no-one has died in F1 for 20 years. The existing arrangement may not be perfect but throwing automation at the problem could be a very dangerous thing to do.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    What a load of nonsense.

If there's a recovery vehicle or marshals trackside, make the drivers activate the pit lane speed limiter two marshals posts before the incident. That way, any driver who has worked hard to build a lead isn't penalised, the race is neutralised for the shortest possible time, and the paying public can watch racing, as opposed to a crocodile of cars behind a safety car.

Any driver who fails to activate the speed limiter gets a 30 second stop-go penalty and points on their licence.
    That's pretty rude to call someone's opinion nonsense. You could easily have just made a suggestion.

The most exciting races are often where there is rain or other interference... (Imo - I used to watch a lot of Indy Car in the 90s as it was more fun than F1 for this reason). This is meant to be entertainment as well as sport... I'd argue annual rule changes are probably unfair on teams who develop key technology, but they do them mostly to mix up the pack.

Having said that your idea isn't too bad.... Would still penalise cars that went through it more often but only a few seconds I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    That would be insane. Can you not imagine the consequences of being flat out through Eau Rouge or 130R & suddenly having someone else other than the driver cut the engine power? Even the Code 60 proposal is fraught with danger. Cars very often travel flat out with only a few meters between them. If the driver in front even lifts a little, let alone brakes, the the one behind is going to have a massive accident - see the Webber/Kovalainen 2010 crash at Valencia.

Racing is risky & no-one has died in F1 for 20 years. The existing arrangement may not be perfect but throwing automation at the problem could be a very dangerous thing to do.
    I said reduce speed - not slam the anchors on, It can be done gradually - just as the drivers do behind the safety car. What happens if you are flat through Eau Rouge and you lose drive?? You coast to a stop. Simples.

Personally I would prefer it if they did away with the safety car all together unless a car or debris was actually on the track. As for automation LOL - flappy paddles, automatic double clutches, power steering, fly by wire throttles, DRS activation. multiple engine modes, Hybrids, telemetry, etc surely this has already arrived.

Give me the day of the Cosworth V8's and JPS lotus's any day of the week. Then it was down to driver skill and reliability - not bucket loads of technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Lots being made of Massa screaming over the radio about it being too wet.

Trouble is, we're talking about a driver who has always struggled in the wet.
    Lauda said the same in 1976 and retired. Hunt however did not and won the championship.

Personally I have much wetter races than this one - they were using Intermediates FFS!!

Perhaps this is reason why Massa never won the world title.

I said reduce speed - not slam the anchors on, It can be done gradually - just as the drivers do behind the safety car. What happens if you are flat through Eau Rouge and you lose drive?? You coast to a stop. Simples.

Personally I would prefer it if they did away with the safety car all together unless a car or debris was actually on the track. As for automation LOL - flappy paddles, automatic double clutches, power steering, fly by wire throttles, DRS activation. multiple engine modes, Hybrids, telemetry, etc surely this has already arrived.

Give me the day of the Cosworth V8's and JPS lotus's any day of the week. Then it was down to driver skill and reliability - not bucket loads of technology.
    Surely to lose drive mid corner the balance would be upset considerably ? Lift off oversteer?

Master

Right, & you think it can be guaranteed that a Mercedes engine will slow down at exactly the same rate as a Renault? If the two cars don't lose speed at exactly the same rate you risk the one behind hitting the one in front. Any unexpected change when the driver is on the limit has the very real possibility of creating severe problems.

The elements you call automation are not controlled from outside the car. Your proposal was.

F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motor sport engineering, not stuck in the past. At what point in time exactly do you think we should freeze the sport?

Lauda said the same in 1976 and retired. Hunt however did not and won the championship.
    I haven't seen the movie made recently but remember this from my youth so possibly tainted.

But Lauda had such a lead in the championship that he was still in contention for the F1 driver championship despite his devastating accident in the rain in Germany.
    Nurburgring was an unsafe track. Fuji was a completely new, unknown tract; his burns meant he could not close his eyelids to blink in the rain. So he had a bit of an excuse to back off.

Master
    Not to mention driveability of '76 cars versus '14 cars and the infinitely better rain tyres.

I don't think even the most vehement Massa fan would suggest he was in the same class as Lauda.

Who were of course at the forefront of technical development and responsible for active suspension and ground effects amongst other things!

To matters of the present.

This weekend sees the inaugural race around what was the Olympic Village for the last Winter Olympics in Sochi. No doubt the design and construction of the circuit was the unaided work of the Russian President, all with his own bare hands, although I believe that Hermann Tilke had an input into its design, unfortunately.

The drivers remain shocked at the events of last weekend. They have all had a reminder of the very real dangers of their sport, and there are calls for swift action from the FIA. Jean Todt has demanded a full report on the incident from Charlie Whiting, and we can expect some form of response from the FIA who, largely thanks to the actions of Max Mosley, have become very proactive when it comes to driver safety.

Marussia have yet to decide whether they will field a second car this weekend. The regulations require teams to enter two cars, unless circumstances (referred to as "Force Majeure") dictate otherwise. If they enter two cars, the likely candidate for the second seat appears to be Alexander Rossi.

Otherwise, the circuit has been described as having similarities to that at Korea, so let's not get our hopes up too high. Bernie has been trying to broker a race in Russia for many years, and after Suzuka we need a decent race, creating headlines for the right reasons.

Craftsman
    Maybe Putin could fill the vacant Marussia seat , joking aside it will be a tough weekend for Formula 1 .

Hamilton overtaking Rosberg. Impressive:

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    It was indeed!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I can only marvel in awe at such simple things turning one on.

This weekend I am out with lovely, in my perspective way more exciting company so can only see the second training session when I get back form cycling in the morrow.

Hope Hamilton makes you guys proud again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    ZZZZZZZZZZZ

This weekend I am out with lovely, in my perspective way more exciting company so can only see the second training session when I get back form cycling in the morrow.

I used to enjoy this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    May I help by reposting this ?

Paul

Thanks Paul, I needed that!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Valentino Rossi: He has had very bad luck, because the truck should not have been in the run-off area. It was probably a mistake, because if a crane is working on a run-off area they should stop the race or at least bring out the safety car.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Definitely uncool; reminds me of a great analysis by Francoise Simpère.

Anyway, meanwhile the amusing act starring Alonso and Vettel continues. Alonso´s behavior is very much akin to that of the spanish football team.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post

Paul
    That’s uncool - and a lot more relevant to a F1 thread than posting about one’s weekend plans.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

If if it bores you so much then please, for the love of all that is holy, stop posting on this thread.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Perception being reality illustrated: Spanish commentary is unanimous that Fernando is better than the rest with a difference and that Hamilton is damaging to Mercedes brand image. They are convinced that Mercedes will put Fernando in Hamiltons ride.

Me, I would prefer a sabatical for Fernando and see Hamilton stay at Mercedes. As childish as he acts, as hard as he is on his car, he does add a bág of salt to the high end porridge. I cannot see anyone else give Rosberg a run for it next year and the competition gives Mercedes max screen time. It is after all a commercial for the bránds involved.

Furthermore a lot of bs about Bianchi and nóóóó mention of marshall safety. Nothing about the incredible good fortune F1 has had that 2 or 3 were not collected and killed.

Valentino Rossi: He has had very bad luck, because the truck should not have been in the run-off area. It was probably a mistake, because if a crane is working on a run-off area they should stop the race or at least bring out the safety car.
    Am I missing something here?? I thought the Safety car was deployed before the crane came onto the track - even though double waved yellows should have been sufficient as the car was way off the track.

Hamilton to McLaren then? I wonder if Mercedes will back Nico over Lewis for the rest of the season.

Blog Entries
    Where this Maclaren link with Lewis come from?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Where this Maclaren link with Lewis come from?
    This article below:
    http://f1today.net/en/news/hamilton-...laren-for-2015

Well known for being wrong!

Master
    Can I be the first to start a 'Button to Ferrari' rumour please?

Kimi to rejoin Lotus, with Maldonado going to McLaren because they need the money his experience.

Am I missing something here?? I thought the Safety car was deployed before the crane came onto the track - even though double waved yellows should have been sufficient as the car was way off the track.
    No it wasn't. The safety car came out at the same time that the doctors car was dispatched to treat Jules.

Quote Originally Posted by dja21 View Post
    This article below:
    http://f1today.net/en/news/hamilton-...laren-for-2015

Well known for being wrong!
    I'll have you know Hamilton has told Sky Sports he's "100% committed to Mercedes":

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/24...return-reports

What more proof do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post

I can only refer you to the other thread on here entitled "Is anyone watching Cilla"?

Clearly not.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Hamilton to McLaren then? I wonder if Mercedes will back Nico over Lewis for the rest of the season.
    If they can&will not renew, then they would be daft not to make SURE Rosberg takes the number 1 over to next year.
    With the double points at the last race that is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    No it wasn't. The safety car came out at the same time that the doctors car was dispatched to treat Jules.
    i did not know that! Sorry.

However we often see cranes working under double yellows even without a safety car. We will not be seeing that again - shame really - we will however be seeing a lot more of the safety car. Unless of course they decide to leave the car where it is once the driver is out. That would work for me.

If they can&will not renew, then they would be daft not to make SURE Rosberg takes the number 1 over to next year.
    With the double points at the last race that is easy.

Interesting, if Lewis was going then mercedes would have surely gone for Vettel or Alonso - Nico has proved himself not quite a number 1, but a good number 2. Also Mercedes are only interested in winning the Constructors title - so they need a better number 1 than Nico.

If Lewis does stay at Mercedes - I think he will for one session, the where does Alonso go? He cannot go back to Mac given the shit he left them in last time. Lotus or Force India 😃😃

No idea to be honest, but I would have money on Massa out and Button in. Button just seems the perfect fit for Williams at the moment.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Interesting, if Lewis was going then mercedes would have surely gone for Vettel or Alonso .
    Alonso would for several reasons be the wrong choice and Vettel is most likely going to Ferrari.
    Mercedes is imo best of with Hamilton.
    Secondly I fail to see why Hamilton would want to go elsewhere.

The joker in the pack is Honda.
    Those would benefit from a fast experienced rider. Again I think Alonso a mistake but then marketing wise a gem. The guy is uberarrogant and the ultimate non team player but he is wildly popular in the spanish speaking world which would be great for marketing.
    Spanish journalism has put me totally off Alonso, so because of this prejudice I would like to see him out, though realistically he is a top contender adding to the spectacle of which there is no excess off.

WOWWWWW how polite Vettel was just now. I am impressed! That was a reflex so totally natural.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    shame really - we will however be seeing a lot more of the safety car.
    Alas unavoidable.
    We will thus see less laps in anger but more strategy and also more advantage equalising.
    They are now talking about 'delta time' .
    Whatever they decide it HAS to be something solid to protect the mashalls properly.

No idea to be honest, but I would have money on Massa out and Button in. Button just seems the perfect fit for Williams at the moment.
    Massa sadly hasn't seemed the same driver since his head injury. Williams would seem to be the only real option for Button, but is there any baggage remaining between Jenson and Sir Frank?

It appears were not the only ones thinking this....

http://www.pitpass.com/52693/FIA-con...uzuka-accident

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Massa sadly hasn't seemed the same driver since his head injury. Williams would seem to be the only real option for Button, but is there any baggage remaining between Jenson and Sir Frank?
    Speaking of Massa, I think the guy should be seriously rapped on the knuckles for smoking the tyres when taking off sideways after a stop, making the Marussia mechanics jump.

The circuit at Sochi looks magnificent. Gorgeous climate too. If only the engines made some noise! This is a deal breaker for me still. I Just can't pay to hear cars that are quieter than GP2.

I like the new engines! Trust me, week in, week out of pre-2014 F1's does your head in! Plus I like that you can hear all the other sounds now like the turbo spool, tyre squeal etc... Before it was just one constant loud high pitched noise of nothingness.

Massa has a confirmed drive at Williams next year so no berth for JB there.

Unless.... Lewis leaves Mercedes and Toto buys out Bottas's contract with free engines . You heard that completely made up rumour here first

I think Jenson and Frank have buried the hatchet. It was 9 years ago he left and is now a ex-world champ.

but at the end of the day it will be about money I suppose.

Lewis looked awesome today, as did Bottas.

The track on the other hand was less impressive, a cross between Disney Land and a giant Car Park. Nice weather though. It's such a shame that old proper tracks are being replaced with these monstrosities. Zandvoort and Brands Hatch for example.

I'm intrigued by the absence of communication from Ferrari. It seems that everybody has confirmed that Vettel has signed for Ferrari except Vettel and Ferrari. All we know for sure is that Vettel won't be at Red Bull next season.

Meanwhile, several drivers are looking to create a good impression in the hope of securing a drive for next year, Button and Jean-Eric Vergne especially. I'd be disappointed, but not surprised, if neither of them were on the grid in Melbourne. Likewise Alonso, who, unless he's even more of a wily old fox than he appears to be, may have painted himself into a corner.

It's interesting that Andy made the reference to a giant car park. I was reminded of the time when it was considered a good idea to host a Grand Prix on the car park of Caesar's Palace at Las Vegas. That didn't last long, thankfully. The Sky commentators keep telling us that Sochi is a great track, but I suspect that they're contractually obliged to do so.

Whether it produces a good race remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I'm intrigued by the absence of communication from Ferrari. It seems that everybody has confirmed that Vettel has signed for Ferrari except Vettel and Ferrari. All we know for sure is that Vettel won't be at Red Bull next season.

Meanwhile, several drivers are looking to create a good impression in the hope of securing a drive for next year, Button and Jean-Eric Vergne especially. I'd be disappointed, but not surprised, if neither of them were on the grid in Melbourne. Likewise Alonso, who, unless he's even more of a wily old fox than he appears to be, may have painted himself into a corner.

It's interesting that Andy made the reference to a giant car park. I was reminded of the time when it was considered a good idea to host a Grand Prix on the car park of Caesar's Palace at Las Vegas. That didn't last long, thankfully. The Sky commentators keep telling us that Sochi is a great track, but I suspect that they're contractually obliged to do so.

Whether it produces a good race remains to be seen.

I think we might have forgotten than Button has out driven Magnusson in most races. I accept he might be the future however Maclean are judged in this and next years results, so Jenson could stay I suppose. Alonso will defo not be returning to McLaren - that bridge was burnt and pissed on when he went to Ferrari. Especially if Big Ron has any say in it.

I hope Button goes to Williams and they throw Massa under the bus - literally

As for Alonso - off to Indy car - hopefully.