closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega SMP 2254.50 - is this a genuinely rare watch now...

Red face Omega SMP 2254.50 - is this a genuinely rare watch now...

...due to the fact that it was never a great seller originally, or are there actually loads around but people just hang onto them as they are such lovely, practical watches?

They seem to come up for sale less frequently these days.

Master

I purchased mine three weeks ago, great Watch, wonder when they stopped making this model?

I don't think that they're particularly rare however their value seems to have crept up over the last few years which is why people may be hanging on to them. Four or five years back I think you could pick up something in great condition with b and p for around a bag, that same watch may be around £400 more in today's marketplace.

Great watches, used to be a grail of mine, seem to have had other watches catch my eye since.

Nope.

Master
    I like to follow the sales of this particular model and for sure its price has crept up over the past few years or so. You'd be hard pushed to get a full set now for a bag.
    Although one went for £1170 on the bay last night. Full set red dot intact, looked really nice.

When I decided to buy my Omega 2254.50 new, they had been around for a few years. I went on to the internet to do a bit of research on the watch and see what owners comments were. This is when I read that the watch was being discontinued from omega's range, I decided I needed to stop reading and buy one as it was the only SMP model I liked.

Trying to find one new was not easy as i hoped, as on my first look none of the AD's had one.

I was told by the owner of one AD, that he thought it was a shame it was being dicontinued as it was a nice watch in his opinion but in his experience customers choose the blue SMP with the skeleton hands and the 2254.50 was not a good seller, which would stay in the window for ages.

After a few weeks of asking about I finally found a new one at 1300 GBP which was the RRP at the time, I was able to get a discount and paid 1175 GBP.

When I was looking to buy new, second hand values were 600 to 900 depending on condition. I wanted to buy new as It would be a keeper and was the most money I ever planned to spend on a watch.

I still have mine, wear it all the time when I am not working and it has become to me the bench mark I judge other potential purchases against. I think for the money it was fantastic and over time its appeal has spread.

People who already own one and really like it, must feel if they sell it and miss it they will struggle to replace it, I know I would.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post
    When I decided to buy my Omega 2254.50 new, they had been around for a few years. I went on to the internet to do a bit of research on the watch and see what owners comments were. This is when I read that the watch was being discontinued from omega's range, I decided I needed to stop reading and buy one as it was the only SMP model I liked.

Trying to find one new was not easy as i hoped, as on my first look none of the AD's had one.

I was told by the owner of one AD, that he thought it was a shame it was being dicontinued as it was a nice watch in his opinion but in his experience customers choose the blue SMP with the skeleton hands and the 2254.50 was not a good seller, which would stay in the window for ages.

After a few weeks of asking about I finally found a new one at 1300 GBP which was the RRP at the time, I was able to get a discount and paid 1175 GBP.

When I was looking to buy new, second hand values were 600 to 900 depending on condition. I wanted to buy new as It would be a keeper and was the most money I ever planned to spend on a watch.

I still have mine, wear it all the time when I am not working and it has become to me the bench mark I judge other potential purchases against. I think for the money it was fantastic and over time its appeal has spread.

People who already own one and really like it, must feel if they sell it and miss it they will struggle to replace it, I know I would.
    My thoughts exactly.
    I've had 2 and sold them, never learnt my lesson!

Master

I didn't realize how cheap mine was from an AD until I posted on TZ -UK, got this full set for £850, the Watch is a full size Auto!

That was a bargain at that price, Welldone.

Indeed, it was. It looks as though you need another link, Matt68, or do you like to wear your watches tight?

Edit: I've just gone back and seen that two links came with the set.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Indeed, it was. It looks as though you need another link, Matt68, or do you like to wear your watches tight?

Edit: I've just gone back and seen that two links came with the set.
    Yeah the chap at the AD took two links out and my Wrist is just over 7 1/2" so in assuming the Bracelet has all it's Links?

Master

Sorry if I'm posting to much on your thread OP, but this is my Watch after the two links have been removed, one of the links looks a lot smaller but it's maybe something Omega did to make adjusting the Bracelet easier as there's no micro adjustment like my other Watches?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    ...Sorry if I'm posting to much on your thread OP, but this is my Watch after the two links have been removed, one of the links looks a lot smaller but it's maybe something Omega did to make adjusting the Bracelet easier as there's no micro adjustment like my other Watches?
    That'll be the half-link:

...I always need one to get a decent fit.

OP: I don't think that the 2254.50.00 is a rare watch, as yet. I see them come up on eBay and plenty of people on here say "I love mine" etc. So, I think most have found a good home and aren't flipped much these days.

I'm happy with my 2264.50.00 (quartz), but then I have a pair of the titanium version automatics to go with it!

Master
    There's a guy on eBay that seems to sell a lot of 2254.50 but majority seem to come with no paperwork, and most look in pretty good Nick!

Red face Thanks for all the input and comments guys!

...and I don't mind who posts on this thread as long as it's vaguely 2254.50 related. :)

There's a guy on eBay that seems to sell a lot of 2254.50 but majority seem to come with no paperwork, and most look in pretty good Nick!
    That'll be jmryshi; see these threads: link1 and link2. I think he's an honest seller, but buy the watch too, as he's operating his London distribution from the States.

Grand Master
    Rare, not really, but they don't come up for sale all that often, at least not privately. You never have to wait long if you don't mind paying a dealer's premium.

I remember when these and the blue Bond version came out in the mid or late '90s and everyone (or rather, all 21-30 year-old urban men!) wanted the James Bond watch so the black was less popular. I have seen the black one from time to time - it's quite noticeable, being large for its size IYSWIM, and with those big characteristic lume shapes.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Not rare as such, but as it's out of production good examples will become less common.

To be honest I think they're overrated, and beginning to show their age. I've had three, sold each of them on quite quickly and not regretted it.

A member on here, can't quite recall who, replaced the dial on his with one from a special edition seamaster that had applied markers - now that would have been a watch I would have kept, it looked great.

I'd take a modern SMPc any day of the week over a standard 2254.50.

Quote Originally Posted by IVK View Post
    ...A member on here, can't quite recall who, replaced the dial on his with one from a special edition seamaster that had applied markers - now that would have been a watch I would have kept, it looked great...
    This one: link? Or else: link.

Master
    Not rare per se, but certainly much fewer in production numbers than the 2531.80 / 'Bond' variant, with a shorter production period. While I have bought and then sold a few Bonds I have never considered selling my 2254.50.

Grand Master
    If he bought it very recently then yes a bargain.

But he didn't say when he bought it for £850..........did he?.

This one: link? Or else: link.
    Thats the badger (the first link). V nice.

Was in chemists today waiting for my prescription when movement in peripheral vision made me turn my head, only to catch sight of a guy’s wrist, on which he was wearing a 2254.50. First time I've seen one the flesh and my initial thought was, cracking watch that only a WIS would know was a Seamaster Pro, as your man in the street is more used to seeing the 'Bond' style Seamaster. I feel choosing this model shows you have taste, are your own person and not easily led by fashion trends.

I was even tempted to compliment on his Omega Seamaster, but though it best not to.

As for me, I bought a pre-owned "Bond' head only on a leather strap which I later had converted using all Omega parts to something, which I felt stands out from the flock, I have the bracelet for it, but here is a photo of it on a rubber deployant strap:

Master
    That'll be jmryshi; see these threads: link1 and link2. I think he's an honest seller, but buy the watch too, as he's operating his London distribution from the States.
    Yes that's him!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    If he bought it very recently then yes a bargain.

But he didn't say when he bought it for £850..........did he?.
    Sorry, three weeks ago!

Red face Bloody hell - that's a result!

Current market value is £1,300 to £1,500. :)

Sorry, three weeks ago!

I was going to ask a simple question in this thread.

But then I decided to use the search function instead.

How very refreshing.
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 26th August 2014 at 11:55.

Master
    I sold my 2254.50 and like many others I wish I had kept it. Matt68's blue dial (2255.80 is it?) was indeed a bargain at £850 and is a very attractive watch. For me though the classic black dial 2254 is the Seamaster of choice and despite my rule of not owneing the same watch more than once I might have to break that to another one of these one day.

thick wedges of lume on a wavy textured dial reminscent of 'guilloche' dial - a cracking dial

I think the watch head is let down by the bezel insert with its horrible font and the edges of the hexagonal bezel in common with the latest SMP is beginning to look 'dated'

Much prefer the coin edge of the bezel found on the Planet Ocean.
    Orange Peel modified his 2254 to include the bezel, dial and hands from Planet Ocean, the bezel would have been sufficient for me!

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, three weeks ago!
    Wtf?!!

I have a 2264 and I wouldn't sell that for £850!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by UKWatchGuy View Post
    Orange Peel modified his 2254 to include the bezel, dial and hands from Planet Ocean, the bezel would have been sufficient for me!
    No, not quite. See the link provided by PickleB earlier:

This one: link?
    It was just the seconds hand from the PO, if we're talking about the same watch.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Wtf?!!

I have a 2264 and I wouldn't sell that for £850!!!!
    Many would bite your arm off!

They are great watches in either quartz or auto. I really like them, and I even appreciate the larger numbered bezel more these days - I think I have 2 or 3 autos and a couple of quartz versions. Just very good, great value for money watches - I don't know much that would compare for the used prices.
    It's just a matter of time...

It was just the seconds hand from the PO, if we're talking about the same watch.
    & the non-AC dial.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Love my quartz version. I think there are less electric blues for sale now than there used to be

Not Orange Peel's watch but post #63 from the thread

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...mod-shop/page2

The coin edge of bezel from PO looks much better now than the hexagonal edge of 2254 which looks like a 50p coin, funny how tastes change 3 years on.

Last edited by UKWatchGuy; 26th August 2014 at 21:15.

I know a few years back, a couple of people converted their 2254's, they used the Non-AC dial and the following parts from a 42mm cal 2500 PO: second hand, bezel and the crystal.

If I remember correctly they were left with a slight gap between the crystal and bezel, or the crystal was sitting slightly higher than the bezel, but they did get around this and the watch was still water tight!

Have the Black one which is a keeper and blue is definitely on my list.

I know this wont work and not fair on other would be owners but if you want to make them rarer....

What we should do is get together and buy everyone that comes up in the next 6 months,maybe 2 each and agree to sit on them for 6 months. Then slowly feed them
    back into the market (keeping one of course)

Have no idea how many they produced and whether doing this would actually have any affect on prices

Master

I never get bored looking how the electric Blue catches the light! :)

Master

Not rare, but getting expensive for a 10 year old watch in good condition and with a full set.

I've bought a couple pre-owned, but on arrival both have needed quite a lot doing so I let them both go.

One of the best looking watches IMO, and one I'd still like to own if I ever find a nice one at the right price.

Congrats on picking one up for £850!

I never get bored looking how the electric Blue catches the light! :)
    Arghhhh! Line the bezel up!!

A lot of 2255s on this 2254 thread... Not that I'm complaining, never tire of seeing that dial.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    A lot of 2255s on this 2254 thread... Not that I'm complaining, never tire of seeing that dial.
    I thought the same. Perhaps the thread should be re-dedicated to 'sword hand Seamasters', rather than just the 2254.

Grand Master
    In that case........

Might swap the dial for a black one that just happens to be sitting in my parts drawer......even got the black date wheel to go with it!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    ...Might swap the dial for a black one that just happens to be sitting in my parts drawer......even got the black date wheel to go with it!

Paul
    064WZ3121001 (Cousins X22541) with applied logo and markers?

In that case........
    That is very nice Paul. And if we are widening this thread out, your watch is similar to one of my favourite ever Omegas, one I've never been able to get hold of, the 2294.52 - Ti and rose gold chrono. Just lovely:

[pic from Omega website]

Journeyman
    A 2264 (black quartz) just sold for £1,040 on ebay... That must be more than its RRP back in the day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spk View Post
    A 2264 (black quartz) just sold for £1,040 on ebay... That must be more than its RRP back in the day.
    Probably, I have the till receipt from Goldsmiths for my auto and, IIRC, it was roughly that. I bought mine on the forum here in 2005 (see link), unused and still under warranty, for £620 or thereabouts. The seller had tried to move it on at least twice before we had a F2F deal. Just shows how times have changed. I still have it, wear it regularly and it's still close to mint.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...d-thanks-TZ-UK

Grand Master
    064WZ3121001 (Cousins X22541) with applied logo and markers?
    No; the applied logo wouldn`t be gold. The dial on mine is exactly the same as a 2254.50.....and that's the one I`ve got sat in a drawer. The alternative is to convert my black Bond to look like a 2254.50 by swapping the dial, hands and bezel......which are also sat in my drawer.

The third alternative (by default) is to leave everything alone, but I`ll have to use the parts someday!

Paul.

No; the applied logo wouldn`t be gold. The dial on mine is exactly the same as a 2254.50.....and that's the one I`ve got sat in a drawer. The alternative is to convert my black Bond to look like a 2254.50 by swapping the dial, hands and bezel......which are also sat in my drawer.

The third alternative (by default) is to leave everything alone, but I`ll have to use the parts someday!

Paul.
    That's a good point! I think the only gold applied logo is on the two-tone titanium chronos.

I really like the blue dial, so I don't think I'd be doing a swap. But you can swap it, see if you like it...and put it back if you decide you prefer the blue.

Like you I have a blue Bond 2531.80.00 that I was going to convert, but with the 064WZ3121001 dial. I bought it on eBay at a reasonable price for that purpose. When it arrived it looked so good that I can't bring myself to have it changed over. There was an early one on the SC recently at a very good price, so I did think about buying another...but I resisted. What I've decided to do is to convert my titanium 2231.50.00. I took that decision after seeing a titanium AC chrono 2293.50.00 that has an applied logo and markers (is that the right word?). So I'll end up with a watch that isn't quite as shiny as the usual conversions, but is a bit lighter!
    Last edited by PickleB; 29th August 2014 at 17:27. Reason: clarity

Master
    So it seems these used Omega's sell for about 1K for the auto full size providing it's a full box set, do you think they will increase anymore in value in the next few years or stay the same?... Or even drop in value again!