closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recent arrival - IWC content with update

Recent arrival - IWC content with update

Well after spotting this model in a recently purchased 2008 catalogue I was smitten. Since the beginning of the year I have been trying to restructure my modest collection, putting things in place to be in a position where I could afford this watch - Ebay has gained a lot in 'charges' from me recently!
    I could not really describe it as a 'grail' watch, as I already have the next significant purchase in mind, another IWC, the 3717 Laureus Sport Foundation, but again that will involve selling a few beforehand.
    Anyway, no warnings came from the forum membership when I asked about the seller on Chrono 24, so I ploughed ahead, I believe it is customary to follow up posts with the outcomes, good or bad which I have done. So here is the IWC Ingenieur IW3234 Climate Action. I know there will be those around that dismiss this as not a 'proper Ingenieur' because it lacks the soft iron core shell, but that detail is pretty immaterial to me.
    The case is a substantial 44mm across, and I was slightly concerned that my 18cm wrist would be too small to cope, but at less than 14mm deep and with the steeply curved shoulders of the nylon (?) strap I believe it hugs the wrist well.
    Apparently the dial pattern is called 'graph paper' and it is stunning, the black hour markers and hands show up clearly - and the splash of pale yellow helps lift what would be a monochrome set. Beautiful second hand with a yellow tip, which I failed to capture in the images! My local AD have ordered a replacement strap and at the time I did enquire about a deployant/ment clasp - but at £350 new that can wait (or more likely be sourced second-hand). So, one very happy man, with a nice Summer-time edition watch. Hope you enjoy the pics.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Very nice purchase, congratulations. How does it wear on the wrist?

Lovely dial, does the strap use the quick release mechanism?

Corker
    I had the black dialled version (with sapphire back), which I thought was a good looker, but the climate action model is something else.

Craftsman
    Very nice choice.

Not so often seen in the wild.
    Cool though

Never seen that one before, like the pale blue numbers / hour markers on that white textured dial.

Journeyman
    The texture on the dial is lovely.

Master
    The white dial makes the ceramic bezel stands out. Lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Courboy View Post
    Very nice purchase, congratulations. How does it wear on the wrist?
    Not sure how to describe that, but it is flat and close to the wrist, some of my watches 'migrate' round and away, this seems to grip and stay in place. Which is helpful...

It doesn't feature the quick release mechanism, and neither are the lugs drilled through, so I will be asking the AD for a demonstration when he replaces with the new strap. I also plan on mailing off the old one to Jakob Straps who I believe can make up bespoke versions so I have an alternative. Thanks for the positive comments chaps. As you will all know, it is a relief when a watch you have been eyeing for a while, eventually arrives, and you find it really hits the spot!

Master
    I like that very much. The strap really suits it, and the dial is lovely. Super summer/holiday watch.

I've always wondered whether the Climate Action and AMG editions had to be kept separate during production to avoid some sort of nullifying effect...

Cognitive dissonance aside, it's definitely one of the better-looking IWCs!

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    I've always wondered whether the Climate Action and AMG editions had to be kept separate during production to avoid some sort of nullifying effect...

Cognitive dissonance aside, it's definitely one of the better-looking IWCs!
    Oh yes, that little association hadn't escaped me either - they appear in the same catalogue! Perhaps IWC should have signed up with Smart (excluding Brabus!)

Blog Entries
    I really like a lot of the IWC range and purchased a Mark XVII last year. Interestingly I am in Bali at he mo and passing through Singapore the deals on watches were pretty good. Mine which retails at £3,800 pre haggle was £2.600.00.

This I like a lot and the dial is great

Enjoy

Paul

Craftsman
    Very nice, much more understated that blue faced version which is a little 'blingy' (at least in photos).

Quote Originally Posted by NJHawkins View Post
    Very nice, much more understated that blue faced version which is a little 'blingy' (at least in photos).
    I think that may be the Zinedine Zidane special edition, and iirc it has a red number 10 - his shirt number when playing for France.

Nice watch and nice pictures too!

Banned
    Nice pics. What is the bezel made of and how can you swap straps?

Seems like IWC wants to do something about climate change. Good for them.

Hmmm, not sure about the strength of the IWC commitment to combating climate change, it was a limited edition of 1000 watches - 'part of the proceeds from sales will be used to support the projects...' of The Climate Group (an independent non-profit organisation, apparently).
    The watch is now on a brand new IWC strap (I had to get an original strap due to the fairly unique shape and the yellow stitching matching the colour on the dial), but I sourced a generic deployant clasp to try and delay the need to replace this in the future! The strap is just on spring bars, and whilst the AD had a little trouble getting the old one off, the new strap was easier to fit. The bezel is made up of two ceramic rings. For me it just has a nice overall look, unlike anything I had seen previously, and it is definitely a keeper. Thanks for the kind comments on the photos guys.