closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend me a running watch

Master

Recommend me a running watch

Thinking of taking to the streets and trying my hand at running on the road rather than just a gym treadmill.

Im looking at buying a sports running watch that will track miles ran.

What do you guys use?

Regards

Jon

Don't use a watch, the Adidas app is great although they do a watch version if you don't like to run with your phone strapped to you

http://www.adidas.co.uk/micoach-smar...76792_500.html

I use a Garmin 910xt. Also does bike and swim if you're ever tempted to have a go at a triathlon.

Can download all sorts of stats from it if you're that way inclined.

Malc

Master
    I have a Suunto Ambit 2 and a Garmin Fenix 2 - either of those would be overkill. I also have a Garmin FR620 which is what I use most of the time.

However, I'd actually recommend a Garmin FR10 , approx £75. It has all of the basic functions and is very readable

cheers

Alan

Master
    I bought a Garmin FR10 for this purpose - does the job well.

Pete

Master
    Cheers guys I'll be sure to look at the FR10 looks about right for what I need for now.

Is the satalite connection good on this model, I'd hate for it to fail on me during a run or even have to wait ages for a connection?

Regards

Auto

I bought this one on recommendation at a running shop:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forer...min+forerunner

I think the Garmins are held in much higher regard than the TomTom / Nike running watches.

I've had it for a year or so and think it's perfect. Acquisition time is reasonable - the longest I've had to wait is about 5 minutes but that was when it hadn't been used for ages and had moved hundreds of miles so probably needed a full almanac/ephemeris update. Using it daily, it's a matter of about 30 seconds to a minute. I've never had it drop satellites during the run.

The Garmin website is very good too - you can map the run afterwards and analyse all the stats. There is also a good "Garmin Connect" iPhone/iPad app that works well.

Edit - just seen that I am also voting for the FR10!

I also use a 910XT

Though I would say it is over the top for a running watch. I would recommend any Garmin running / HRM watch personally. You could do worse than look at this web site, he is a very good reviewer and although a triathlete also does running watches.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews

I find his reviews to be very good, fair and very in-depth.

I used to have a Garmin 310XT, these have been replaced now but you can still buy them new on Amazon for £128.50 including a heart rate belt, which is an utter bargain considering the spec of it,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forer...ds=garmin310xt

I switched to Suunto though in the end, I have an Ambit 1. I never upgraded to an Ambit 2 as mine is still going strong and is virtually the same as the 2. I might upgrade to the Ambit 3 in September though, as it has low power bluetooth and can automatically upload runs to Suunto/Strava wirelessly via a smartphone*. It also behaves as a smartwatch when paired with a smartphone.

* The Moveslink sync app only works on PC/Mac, I only use Linux and there's no easy way to get the sync client working on it. So I have to keep a windows/mac device around just to sync my watch,

Grand Master
    Cheap £10 Casio. Don`t get hung up on distance covered/times etc at this stage, aim to run for a set period of time and don`t worry how far/fast you've gone. An elaborate running watch will potentially do more harm than good.

The fancy watches are a useful tool for anyone who's training seriously and looking to compete, otherwise I reckon they're a waste of time. Spend your money on good shoes instead, and when you find a pair you get on with buy a second pair whilst they're still available.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    Thinking of taking to the streets and trying my hand at running on the road rather than just a gym treadmill.
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Cheap £10 Casio. Don`t get hung up on distance covered/times etc at this stage, aim to run for a set period of time and don`t worry how far/fast you've gone. An elaborate running watch will potentially do more harm than good.

The fancy watches are a useful tool for anyone who's training seriously and looking to compete, otherwise I reckon they're a waste of time. Spend your money on good shoes instead, and when you find a pair you get on with buy a second pair whilst they're still available.
    Paul, one of the clearest thinkers on the entire forum, has given the best answer, by answering the question that should have been asked.

When one is running 5km sub-15, all possible training aids make a difference. Until then, well, just get better at running.

Master

Paul
    Sounds like excellent advice, thanks!

Im up to 2 miles on the treadmill but enthusiastic about what could be.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    Sounds like excellent advice, thanks!

Im up to 2 miles on the treadmill but enthusiastic about what could be.
    Treadmills can be very flattering. Real running's a totally different game, harder but far more rewarding. Best way to start is to go for brisk walks initially and throw in a few minutes of jogging. Don`t make the mistake of thinking you have to keep going, stop and walk when you get breathless or your legs start tightening. Eventually you'll find you can jog for longer with less walking in between. Soft ground is better for the legs, and getting away fro the roads is far more pleasant.

Paul

I like the Garmin tactix but that maybe a bit over kill

Master
    Treadmills can be very flattering. Real running's a totally different game.
    Couldn't agree more.

Watch wise, I love the Garmin Forerunner 10.

On the down side it is hopeless in central London, but away from the high rise buildings it is brill. Usually takes about 20 seconds to get signal if you keep it motionless, then away you go. :)

I'd love to start running again but my knees just won't take it so I just stick to rowing