closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMPc - "Bond" is dead

Blog Entries

SMPc - "Bond" is dead

SMPc - "Bond" is dead

I recently posted my SMPc for sale. I just could not "bond" with it.

To add to my confusion all the individual elements work really well.

Lovely deep glossy black dial, ceramic bezel, applied markers, good weight and size.

Unusually for Omega also a reasonable thickness.....

I am not a fan of the "Bond" bracelet and IMO it is a bit dated. So I set about trying to find a strap / bracelet which would suit. I purchased a Omega mesh and Omega isofrane style rubber strap. For full disclosure I love the mesh but it did not work as well as I hoped. The mesh seems better suited to a PO2500 or SM300. The rubber did not work for me at all on the SMPc.

Anyway, I think I have now found the perfect watch / bracelet combination for the SMPc.

The
    1610.930 bracelet which was fitted as standard to the "famous" 2254.50. This bracelet works so well including the slightly polished parts which catch the light.

Anyway some pics ...

Last edited by MFB Scotland; 5th August 2014 at 19:55.

Master
    Completely changed the look this is now awesome! What a combo!

Master
    That looks really good.

Always hated the "bond" bracelet.

I agree that the bond bracelet looks dated. This is an improvement.

Master
    I have had two Electric blues and both had the 'Speedy ' bracelet. Love it.

The "Oyster" style bracelet looks way better on the Seamster than the "Bond" style bracelet.

That looks really good. You're giving me ideas.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    That looks really good.

Always hated the "bond" bracelet.
    + 1 I was never that mad on the Bond bracelet and this is a big improvement, that watch looks v sharp now ..

Definitely an improvement, good choice.

Looks good. However I seem to be in the minority here but I really like the Bond bracelet (it's probably because I'm a bit dated too!) and prefer it to the speedy style bracelet. Having said that it's a great looking watch on either bracelet.

Craftsman
    Love that! Great work, much better.

Craftsman
    Looks very nice! A welcome change to the Bond-bracelet.

Master
    Nice work!

I came to the same conclusion in reverse a few years ago. I hated my 2254 on its 'Speedy' bracelet. I swapped the bracelets over.

I tried the 2254 on mesh and the coramide in the end I traded the watch.
    But still love my 2542
    Last edited by wildheart; 5th August 2014 at 21:40.

I'm not averse to the "Bond" bracelet, although I rarely wear it on my SMP blue wavy dial, preferring a blue waterproof Di-Modell leather strap for swimming and summer beater wear. But the thing I really like with the "Bond" bracelet is how very comfortable it is.

Banned
    Looks better to me, good choice.

Agree, pictures always look great of this watch but when tried one on it just didnt do it for me and now wondering if it was the bracelet

Blog Entries
    The bracelet works really well. Hopefully, keep this one for a while

Master
    I've always disliked the SMP, and this has made me realise it's the bracelet, not the watch!

That really looks great, nice job.

Thinks: adds SMP to desire list...

Really interesting what you've done there. Personally I've always liked the 'Bond' bracelet. It's, I think, an iconic design and one that you can tell from a distance exactly what the watch is. looking at mine now, yes perhaps it's a little fancy but for me it's one of the things that attracted me to the Seamaster when I bought it. That being said I think your combination really does lift your watch and modernises it. The new Seamasters with co-axial movements, ceramic etc could perhaps do with a strap redesign.

Good work. it's a great watch and I think you've found a winning combo there

I've been wanting to try this since I got an SMP but the bond bracelet grew on me quite quickly. This looks like a great way to mix it up a little bit if I get bored of the default watch/strap combination though.

Much better for me too. I must admit the only bracelet I really like is a simple, unadorned oyster.

Looks really good! I like both the "Bond" and Oyster style bracelets.

Quote Originally Posted by rushroon View Post
    Looks really good! I like both the "Bond" and Oyster style bracelets.
    Likewise. The Bond bracelets is more dressy and therefore versatile imho - also incredibly comfortable - the speedy style bracelet is lovely though and adds a very nice touch to the watch - I may have a play around with some of mine :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Some more pics for those interested...

Great photos - the outer AR coating really adds to the look of the watch

I hope omega see these pics, they might have extended the life of that watch. Given the subtle changes over the previous wavy dial no ceramic version, this strap change makes perfect sense and really compliments the refinements. What an inspired choice!

Master
    Great pictures. It does look much better and more modern with the new bracelet.

I don't mind the Bond bracelet but....I really like it in the Speedy bracelet!

The new Bond bracelet is however a step up in quality and engineering with it's screwed links and beefier clasp. Also the way it doesn't taper in at the clasp is nice.

Thought...will the newer Speedy bracelet with screwed links etc fit the SMP?

As I said though it really works on the original 2254.50 Speedy bracelet and has me also thinking...

Can I ask where you got the bracelet and how much it was?

I have also considered putting my ceramic SMP on a dark brown croc strap as I think that would work well?

Prefer the Bond bracelet.

Credit to Omega, the original SMP successfully tried to get away from the Sub blueprint so had a different bezel, wavy dial, see through hands and basket weave bracelet.

Now they have got a flat dial and with the addition of an Oyster style bracelet it is all getting rather Sub-y again.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    I don't mind the Bond bracelet but....I really like it in the Speedy bracelet!

The new Bond bracelet is however a step up in quality and engineering with it's screwed links and beefier clasp. Also the way it doesn't taper in at the clasp is nice.

Thought...will the newer Speedy bracelet with screwed links etc fit the SMP?

As I said though it really works on the original 2254.50 Speedy bracelet and has me also thinking...

Can I ask where you got the bracelet and how much it was?

I have also considered putting my ceramic SMP on a dark brown croc strap as I think that would work well?
    I bought it from Cousins UK and it was circa £360 including VAT. The code is X21527.

I don't think any of the "newer" bracelets will fit properly. This bracelet was designed for the Seamaster range.

Based on reading your previous posts it may be worth a go. The SMPc is certainly more comfortable than the PO and the "2254.50" bracelet gives it a more classic diver look than the standard "bond".

Looks nice on that bracelet. Too 'fancy' a braceket distracts from the watch, this has just enough decoration mot emphasise the watches looks without detracting.

I think it looks nice on that bracelet, but must be in the minority as I really like the modern version. Thought it was incredibly comfortable, and was just a shame that it didn't have any micro adjustments.

Also don't think it's that flashy, just because of the polished links. Think this one looks just as 'flashy' With its polished bits, but don't think it's at all an issue with the shiny ceramic bezel and dial anyway.

Master
    Now you just need to swap the skeleton hands for the sword hands from the 2234/54/64 model:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Now you just need to swap the skeleton hands for the sword hands from the 2234/54/64 model:

I was actually thinking about doing that. I previously "modded" a Speedmaster.

I know there are some creative people on the forum. Anyone up for "mocking up" a ceramic SMPc with the sword hands ?

I've never really thought of the original bracelet looking dated but it certainly looks so much better on the speedy one ... very nice indeed!

Blog Entries
    I feel I have to speak out in defence of the bond bracelet, I,ve had a couple of seamasters and in both cases Ive marveled at the comfort and looks of the bracelet compared with my speedie bracelet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie169 View Post
    I feel I have to speak out in defence of the bond bracelet, I,ve had a couple of seamasters and in both cases Ive marveled at the comfort and looks of the bracelet compared with my speedie bracelet.
    All down to personal taste. I know there is a lot of people who advocate the "bond" bracelet. Tried to pick some pics as close as possible.

The speedy definitely suits it well, the taper adds a certain twist too.

I've asked myself whether the bond was now to be categorised as a classic, or a cliche. Definitely a classic!

I like both. The speedy is cleaner and arguably more contemporary. The bond is more dressy but still definitely 'tool' and to top it all it just can't be beaten in the comfort stakes!

Its a very simple dial/bezel, even more so now with the new dial finish, and think the bond bracelet overpowers the rest of the watch a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    I was actually thinking about doing that. I previously "modded" a Speedmaster.

I know there are some creative people on the forum. Anyone up for "mocking up" a ceramic SMPc with the sword hands ?
    The problem would be the lume - on the watch posted by John, they match the hands and hour markers, whereas there are no current SMP sword hands. Shame.
    It's just a matter of time...

Looks good but I prefer the Bond bracelet. Miss my SMPc

Master
    I am normally a leather person, but the bond bracelet was so comfortable I wore it on bracelet. Can't be beaten in terms of comfort!

zsayub116610
    i prefer the bond bracelet, I've got mine on for sale too...

I very much prefer the 'speedy' bracelet.
    Had a 2530.80 that I quickly sold off, primarily because I did not like its 'Bond' bracelet.
    If only, I had considered replacing it with a 'speedy' bracelet!

The SMPc is very tempting and yes the bracelet is a little over the top. Is the dial ceramic on these too or is it just the bezel?

Looks really great with the new bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post

I agree entirely, sword hands and it's a fantastic watch. The skeleton hands just don't do it for me. Still looks miles better on the new bracelet though.

Master
    I think the bond bracelet looks better. Love the old style smp with sword hands!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Some more pics for those interested...

Now if only there was a fix for those hands. I really wonder why Omega didn't release these watches an updated 2254.