closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: job interview and your watch

Master
    I suspect most people don't care about what watches folk wear. Those of us with even a passing interest in watches, really are in a minority.

And (hopefully) even less people are the type who would award an offer of employment based on the watch someone was wearing.

When I've attended interviews: I am a spoiled manchild and my watches have (mostly) been bought for me by my very generous, and higher earning wife. So when I've attended interviews, chances are I am usually going for a role where the salary on offer, isn't really commensurate with most of my watches (generalisation - I am talking on average) - so I tend to wear my lowest value or least 'shouty' watches for interview.

/shrug.

Master
    I've interviewed many people over the years and their watch doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to me. As a watch guy, I might comment on it as an ice breaker if the candidate is wearing something unusual but I don't think their choice would influence my decision to hire them or not. Hire for attitude, train for skills!

SGR

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Or this?

I'd want to know why Professor Langdon needed a job from me...

Craftsman
    People who say it will make no difference are expressing their opinion, but their opinion isn't what matters it's what the interviewer himself thinks.

Personally I wouldn't like someone wearing a G shock to an interview. I'd consider it akin to coming unshaven. They are going to an interview in a good suit to get a job and first impressions count, (handshake included) they should wear a watch that is according or wear no watch at all. The price of the watch doesn't matter as long as it's not plastic.

What other interviewers think of someone is entirely their opinion. Some interviewer may see a nice watch and infer (based on the position they are interviewing for) that this person can manage his money well enough to buy a nice watch. Meaning he is organised etc..

You simply don't know what an interviewer may think. But given the option and the odds, wearing no watch would be better than a G shock.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by johal View Post
    thanks for the replys ,i thought that he may look , and i know that this sounds terrible, a guy with money problems, or drink problems or worse a lack of success in his career all of which are untrue.
    No no he won't look that way!!! That's crazy talk.

In all liklihood the interviewer won't care what watch he's wearing. Some as I pointed out may not like someone wearing a big plastic watch when suited up for an interview. Then on the very slim chance the interviewer specifically checks for what watch he's wearing he may try to infer something from it.

That's all, just tell him not to wear the watch if it's not suitable for a suit. Otherwise don't worry about it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by johal View Post
    i will let him know that its not such a big deal as i first taught and tell him to wear his own watch. glad to see that not everyone thinks the same as me
    Tell us what watch it is and we can tell if it's ok to wear with a suit. But given it's a G Shock odds are he shouldn't wear it.

Id say noone in the whole wide world cares about watches except for a few weirdos..

so if he likes his gshock,he should wear it..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by CVByrne View Post
    People who say it will make no difference are expressing their opinion, but their opinion isn't what matters it's what the interviewer himself thinks.

Personally I wouldn't like someone wearing a G shock to an interview. I'd consider it akin to coming unshaven. They are going to an interview in a good suit to get a job and first impressions count, (handshake included) they should wear a watch that is according or wear no watch at all. The price of the watch doesn't matter as long as it's not plastic.

What other interviewers think of someone is entirely their opinion. Some interviewer may see a nice watch and infer (based on the position they are interviewing for) that this person can manage his money well enough to buy a nice watch. Meaning he is organised etc..

You simply don't know what an interviewer may think. But given the option and the odds, wearing no watch would be better than a G shock.
    I agree totally. First impressions count.

If the interview is being attended in a suit then in my opinion a G Shock is not appropriate. No watch is a better option. In fact I am not sure a plastic watch is ever appropriate for an interview.

It is completely irrelevant what that makes you think of the interviewer / prospective employer even if you are in the very lucky position of the employer needing you more than you need the job.

I have interviewed many people from the most junior position up to prospective Board Members and the overall presentation of the individual is taken into account. It is a competitive situation and you should use everything you can to impress.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoris View Post
    Id say noone in the whole wide world cares about watches except for a few weirdos..

so if he likes his gshock,he should wear it..
    He probably has a nice pair of comfortable trainers too, maybe he should wear them to the interview. Actually forego the suit. Just wear whatever he thinks is most comfortable, forget what's appropriate.

It's the interviewer who decides what he considers appropriate and he's not going to give you a detailed list is he. So best to play the odds.

ie no brown suit, pink shirt, questionable tie, big plasic watch etc..

just go in like flav....

Master
    I think there is no need for it to be expensive. But in my opinion a Gshock really breaks the look if your friend is wearing a suit, and if I were him, I would rather go without a watch than wear a Gshock which has much more downside than any conceivable upside. Noone is gonna look at his gshock and say, "hey nice watch" etc. Its not a conversation piece.

For an interview or presentation or whatever, most people wont notice your watch and that is exactly what you want. You want something that blends into your look and completes it. Not highlighting it.

He probably has a nice pair of comfortable trainers too, maybe he should wear them to the interview. Actually forego the suit. Just wear whatever he thinks is most comfortable, forget what's appropriate.

It's the interviewer who decides what he considers appropriate and he's not going to give you a detailed list is he. So best to play the odds.

ie no brown suit, pink shirt, questionable tie, big plasic watch etc..
    Using the same logic you could argue that a person wearing a gshock is a sporting kind of guy, fit and healthy, being used to handle pressure and stress

Ive worked in large corps and its pretty common to meet people wearing various shitty quartz watches including plastic up to cxo level

Quote Originally Posted by tmoris View Post
    Exactly this. We are a minority group with an interest in watches and we instinctively look for and assess what people are wearing. I do it all the time, however it should bear no influence on whether someone can do or is suitable for a job role.

People that don't have an interest in watches are only likely to notice something that just sticks out - oversize, gaudy or overly-ostentatious. And this applies to all things (shoes, ties etc) and not just watches.

My suggestion would be to wear no watch at all, simply as a G-Shock is too big an ugly lump (typically) to work with a suit. Of course, if it can be hidden up a sleeve out of sight, problem solved.

Completely depends on field - nobody would notice or care if you were wearing trainers, a watch or your dressing gown in the interviews I've done (Academic) - we are only interested in your ability to turn out outputs and I'll take the guy in the pink g-shock and dressing gown over the guy in the tailored suit and nice watch if the former has the income generation and research profile we are after.

Apprentice
    The times I went for an interview myself I always chose to wear a neutral watch or not wear one at all. You never know what opinion your interviewer has with a certain (type of) watch, so why give him the chance to find fault in it.

Now from the other side of the table I must admit that I do look at an interviewee's watch, and might even let it influence an interview. Someone with an obviously fake watch or a 50+mm satellite dish on his wrist I find very hard to take serious. A G-Shock under a suit on the other hand can be quite ballsy and could earn some plus points if it looks natural.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    The times I went for an interview myself I always chose to wear a neutral watch or not wear one at all. You never know what opinion your interviewer has with a certain (type of) watch, so why give him the chance to find fault in it.

Now from the other side of the table I must admit that I do look at an interviewee's watch, and might even let it influence an interview. Someone with an obviously fake watch or a 50+mm satellite dish on his wrist I find very hard to take serious. A G-Shock under a suit on the other hand can be quite ballsy and could earn some plus points if it looks natural.
    Exactly. If 1 canditate had a massive fake Gold Rolex Sub and the other a subtle cheap but simple watch, the one with the fake gold rolex, you might start to form opinions even before you speak. Its human nature, we take in alot from our eyes.

Somewhere on a shoe forum people are arguing about how shoes are the things that people notice above all else and if you wear a pair of own brand shoes you will be unemployable.
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 18th July 2014 at 10:10.

Craftsman
    A handshake is also very important. If someone gives me one of those limp timid handshakes at the start of an interview he's basically done. Gives off a weakness which in my work means trouble. I don't know why, maybe it's because humans register physical contact higher than anything?

Of all the things though anyone who has lied on their CV, even slightly makes me believe the rest of their CV is full of lies and they can't be trusted.

As someone said earlier, there are so many things that effect interviews. Someone being late is very poor also.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    If the applicant was going for a Sales job then yes, it would matter what he or she was wearing on their wrist. In Sales, EVERYTHING matters, and a wristwatch is part of the presentation.
    Do you really believe that ?

I question it as I have been a Client/Account Manager/director (Whatever they like to call you) for a number of large Global IT organisations for best part of my working life.. I have never been judged or have judged anyone on a watch, shoes, suit or any other methods of materially gauging an individual..

I would have to say I am reserved in how I adorn myself when meeting customers.. At the end of the day I am asking them to spend their money with me, built on trust, relationship, and ability to deliver.. Not judging my, or the firms capabilities, on the value of my clobber.. I also feel customers should see value for their money and not blinging up their rep..

One of my last job interviews I was wearing a snotter £50 Guess watch, and I got the job.. These things never enter my mind..

Maybe I have it wrong and there are organisations out there that measure success on this basis, but nowhere I have worked in the last 20 years..

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Somewhere on a shoe forum people are arguing about how shoes are the things that people notice above all else and if you wear a pair of own brand shoes you will be unemployable.

Hahaha, I wonder if there really is such a thing? Broguenet? sensibleoxfords.com? wingtips.co.uk?

or these blokes:
    http://thechapmagazine.co.uk/

where does the madness end? Thesockroom.com? underpantsforsuccess.tv?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Let's say YOU (dear reader), as someone who is evidently interested in watches, are interviewing someone for a job in your workplace. Is there any particular watch an interviewee could wear that would affect your opinion of their suitability for the role?

For instance, if they turned up wearing something like this?

Or this?

I'd be totally fine with the Mickey Mouse.

I think James Bond had it right, a watch appropriate to the style of clothes he's wearing would be the way forward in my opinion. I wouldn't wear trainers with a suit at an interview. If in doubt don't put one on.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuerfan View Post
    I think James Bond had it right, a watch appropriate to the style of clothes he's wearing would be the way forward in my opinion. I wouldn't wear trainers with a suit at an interview. If in doubt don't put one on.
    Didn't he ( Not that he existed) wear a too small Nato with a suit ?
    Last edited by java; 18th July 2014 at 11:24.

As has been said G shock and suit don't really go well. I think it is important and well mannered to know how to dress for any occasion, I would prob wear a leather strapped vintagy timexy watch that looked as though it had been my Dads, Shows familly/Quallity values etc and not too flash or austentatious but does look smartly turned out, Traditionaly, Whilst I was interviewing tattoos And trainers were a put off for me.
    Last edited by fishman307; 18th July 2014 at 10:46.

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Didn't he ( Not that he existed) wear a too small Nato wit a suit ?
    Indeed he did - although doubt the book was that detailed (although I am seem to recall he used a Rolex as a knuckle duster in one of the books was a very long time ago I read them).

Here is a link was Sean Connery in Goldfinger -http://watchesinmovies.info/movies/goldfinger-1964/ & Thunderball http://watchesinmovies.info/movies/thunderball-1965/

Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    I saw the film. Can't remember any opinions about watches in it though? Is there an analogy?
    No watches, and I think it was better spelt out in the book. The main character spends his life having very strong views on music and judging people by their record collection until he realises there can be good people with (in his opinion) bad records.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    No watches, and I think it was better spelt out in the book. The main character spends his life having very strong views on music and judging people by their record collection until he realises there can be good people with (in his opinion) bad records.
    Im pretty certain that Java knows quite a bit about the watches that the 007 character wore, both on film and in books.
    The point he was making was that Bond isn't quite the sartorial reference point that heuerfan perhaps thinks he is...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Im pretty certain that Java knows quite a bit about the watches that the 007 character wore, both on film and in books.
    The point he was making was that Bond isn't quite the sartorial reference point that heuerfan perhaps thinks he is...
    True

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    A watch inkeeping.with your current job's paygrade might be a sensible idea if you are on the way up - wouldn't it be impolite to wear a watch more expensive than that worn by the prospective line manager.
    Rubbish. My daily is worth much more than anything worn by any of my superiors and I'm easily the most junior fee-earner. No-one could care less. Moreover if someone came in below me I wouldn't give a stuff if they were rocking a Patek. I'd probably have a nice chat about it!

It'd take a real petty arsehole to be pissed off that someone "below" him had a nicer watch.

There's no way in hell I'm going to consciously limit my purchases or enjoyment based on what my managers wear - that's absolutely ridiculous.

People into their watches tend to forget that 99% of people couldn't tell a JLC from a Timex and literally don't care about what you wear on your wrist.

Before I got into watches I didn't notice if someone was wearing a watch, let alone the model. Nowadays I tend to look, but wouldn't judge them according to their watch, I'm more interested in what they say.

Master

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    Rubbish. My daily is worth much more than anything worn by any of my superiors and I'm easily the most junior fee-earner. No-one could care less. Moreover if someone came in below me I wouldn't give a stuff if they were rocking a Patek. I'd probably have a nice chat about it!

It'd take a real petty arsehole to be pissed off that someone "below" him had a nicer watch.

There's no way in hell I'm going to consciously limit my purchases or enjoyment based on what my managers wear - that's absolutely ridiculous.

People into their watches tend to forget that 99% of people couldn't tell a JLC from a Timex and literally don't care about what you wear on your wrist.
    Totally agree with you.

I've had one or two clients react aghast that I had on a Rolex for example. One of them said to me "you must be a rich guy" and acted like I was earning too much money. They were from a fairly backward culture where they believe anyone that's providing a service to them is automatically below them on the social and economic ladder.

My response was; " Of course I earn more than you do . You are merely one of my many and varied clients and they generally come to me because I'm somewhat regarded as the best at what I do."

He was a posturing underling at best. Rubbed it in when I took a glock off him and decocked it for him as he was attempting to show off in front of his mates as to how much he knew about guns. I did let him struggle with the slide for about 10 minutes before I did it...at one point he had it hidden behind his back as he thought he'd broken it.

Incidentally he was wearing a "Titan" that might tell you what country I was in.

Craftsman
    How much someone earns is not really as relevant as their disposable income. 3 kids, stay at home wife, 2 cars and a mortgage is a huge drain on how much you can spend on a watch.

Single, no mortgage, living in the city so no car = higher disposable income.

Lots of people have more disposable income than their managers.

Craftsman
    How much someone earns is not really as relevant as their disposable income. 3 kids, stay at home wife, 2 cars and a mortgage, or alternatively an ex-wife, is a huge drain on how much you can spend on a watch.
    Expanded that statement a bit..

Yep - there are people in my org who earn more than me - but both my wife and I work, have no mortgage, no kids, no cars and have nothing like Sky - as a consequence - my disposal income is much higher*

* partly because I also have more left-over cash to invest and that in turn grows...

Personally I wouldn't wear a watch for an interview,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    My response was; " Of course I earn more than you do . You are merely one of my many and varied clients and they generally come to me because I'm somewhat regarded as the best at what I do."

He was a posturing underling at best. Rubbed it in when I took a glock off him and decocked it for him as he was attempting to show off in front of his mates as to how much he knew about guns. I did let him struggle with the slide for about 10 minutes before I did it...at one point he had it hidden behind his back as he thought he'd broken it.

Incidentally he was wearing a "Titan" that might tell you what country I was in.
    Oh dear

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    I just love the enormous leap of logic it takes to assume that people who wear G-Shock watches are unsuccessful pissheads.

Master
    Let me just sum this up for the OP as I think its going into a tangent, OP tell your mate this:

1) Price doesn't matter. It doesnt mean a more expensive watch is necessarily "classier", price has nothing to do with it.
    2) Think about the "overall look". Ie will he wear a suit, and leather shoes to the interview? If Yes => 3) No => 4
    3) Make sure that the watch is something simple and discrete, with toned down colours. The GSHOCK is a problem not because whoever has a GSHOCK are "losers" or whatever. Gshocks are a great watch, but not the appropriate tool in this case. Either go without a watch or wear a simple discreet watch that wont call attention. As has been stated most people don't care or look at your watch and you just want to make sure that if someone does, they wont infer anything from it. Wearing a Gshock, "MAY" to some interviers infer that the iinterviewee has no regard for fashion, didnt dress properly for the occasion etc. Im not saying that this is what will happen, but there is a slight chance that might be inferred so why take the risk??
    4) If its just casual clothing, then a gshock is fine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Didn't he ( Not that he existed) wear a too small Nato with a suit ?
    fine. If you are scuba diving to get there.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Let me just sum this up for the OP as I think its going into a tangent, OP tell your mate this:

1) Price doesn't matter. It doesnt mean a more expensive watch is necessarily "classier", price has nothing to do with it.
    2) Think about the "overall look". Ie will he wear a suit, and leather shoes to the interview? If Yes => 3) No => 4
    3) Make sure that the watch is something simple and discrete, with toned down colours. The GSHOCK is a problem not because whoever has a GSHOCK are "losers" or whatever. Gshocks are a great watch, but not the appropriate tool in this case. Either go without a watch or wear a simple discreet watch that wont call attention. As has been stated most people don't care or look at your watch and you just want to make sure that if someone does, they wont infer anything from it. Wearing a Gshock, "MAY" to some interviers infer that the iinterviewee has no regard for fashion, didnt dress properly for the occasion etc. Im not saying that this is what will happen, but there is a slight chance that might be inferred so why take the risk??
    4) If its just casual clothing, then a gshock is fine.

That is the perfect answer. I hope the OP reads it as his last post in this thread was to advise his mate to wear the G shock.

Master
    Speedy Pro would be ideal for a professional engineer.
    Last edited by J J Carter; 18th July 2014 at 19:58.

Journeyman
    There's a theory that recommends that you should try to dress like your (potential) boss for your interview. If you happen to know he's a watch fan, wear your Rolex, Omega, whatever. Discussing watches is far easier than answering awkward questions. :)

The watch is irrelevant and will be hidden by shirt cuffs. Decent shoes (or just polished shoes!) and being colour coordinated will make a much better impression.

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Speedo Pro would be ideal for a professional engineer.
    This would make an interesting thread, your job and everyone recommends the ideal watch, has it been done? (Im new)
    Last edited by Montybaber; 18th July 2014 at 18:40. Reason: Still a clown

Master
    We more or less agree it should not matter but it does. Some very good thoughts have gone into it. I worn a Rolex day date for an interview once and they still remember me for that, rather than how I did.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    We more or less agree it should not matter but it does. Some very good thoughts have gone into it. I worn a Rolex day date for an interview once and they still remember me for that, rather than how I did.

In an interview situation its generally good to be memorable rather than non-descript..

Journeyman
    Even if it is a trainers kind of work environment I think dressing a bit nicer for the interview is always best. Loafers, trousers and a short sleeve button up shirt without a tie looks nice and professional but not too much in a casual workplace and I think a G Shock would still stick out. I always see interviews having similarities to dates...if the guy shows up looking dishevelled, I will automatically feel like he hasn't invested much effort and will have more to overcome than the man who is appropriately dressed.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaCat View Post
    Even if it is a trainers kind of work environment I think dressing a bit nicer for the interview is always best. Loafers, trousers and a short sleeve button up shirt without a tie looks nice and professional but not too much in a casual workplace and I think a G Shock would still stick out. I always see interviews having similarities to dates...if the guy shows up looking dishevelled, I will automatically feel like he hasn't invested much effort and will have more to overcome than the man who is appropriately dressed.
    Makes me think of a guy I interviewed a few years... the position was a junior one - tech clerk kind of thing.

We aren't a stuffy company - our polo shirts with company logo on are about as posh as we get - and a number of the applicants had sussed this and were pretty casually dressed; most had shirts on, but few had ties or anything.

This one bloke - older than the others - turned up wearing a full length leather jacket buttoned / zipped to the neck. He was there for about 3 hours - in the middle of summer - sweating like a pig before getting to the actual interview bit... during which he told us we were doing it all wrong.

Whenever I think about him I wonder what he was wearing underneath... and I fear it may have been nothing.

I don't recall if he had a watch on :)

Master
    This would make an interesting thread, your job and everyone recommends the ideal watch
    TBH, I was going by Archie Luxury's (in)famous 'what does your watch say about you' guidance

Master
    To state just how little anyone in engineering cares or would notice I had a very telling incident at the last place I worked, a couple of the guys where talking about Rolex and how much they cost etc. I then said 'like this one here' showing them the Sea-dweller I was wearing at the time, they were stunned I had one, I was stunned that I had been wearing the thing to work everyday for a year with short sleeved shirts and none of them had noticed it before. Seriously this point can't be made enough, no one will notice or care unless they are a serious WIS which is pretty unlikely.

BTW I tend to go for the old school engineer look often and wear either a tweed jacket with slacks or in the summer a thin wool herringbone jacket with dark slacks, I have dressed like this for interviews a couple of times and was successful in both, I used to wear my best suit white shirt and say a pink tie but decided it made me look like classic middle management or someone who is trying to hard. Not my thing hence the previous advice to be true to yourself being very important as being comfortable is important to provide a confident sure footed performance.