closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: photos

photos

Hi what do you use (equipment and techniques) to take great watch photos?
    i use my iPhone 4 my photos are terrible so its time to upgrade.
    Many thanks

Master
    I'm no expert, but I think you have just asked a MASSIVE question.

In summary though, I suspect it has more to do with skill/ "know how" than expensive equipment.

All that said, my iPhone 5 takes pretty amazing photos that are adequate for 99.9% of my needs.

I use a Sony Cybershot that's 12 years old. In my experience, it's been more important to learn how to light the shot than it has been to worry about which camera I'm using. Outdoor shoots on cloudy or rainy days usually yield the best results. If you're wanting to take the moody but sharply focused interior shots that some guys here do so well, you probably will need to get a really nice camera.

You need an iPhone 5 ha ha

lol

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    You need an iPhone 5 ha ha
    I know has any one tried the macro lenses for iPhones?
    I was also the nikon J1 its a compact that you can get macro lenses for.

Master
    Canon 5D3, 100/2.8L macro lens, manfrotto tripod with fluid brake ball head, loads of flash and reflectors.

Or an iPhone 5 ;)

On a serious note, a tripod + any close focusing camera with manual settings will get you very far.

Yep... like a few of the responses here have already noted, rather than worry about the camera the first steps are: to think about setting up the shot, lighting, using a tripod (and possibly a remote trigger), play around to get different results, and take plenty of shots (the secret to a lot of good photography). After that, it can be useful to use any of the very basic photo software around (the stuff that comes with your camera, for e.g.) and adjust the contrast and balance a bit if you don't always get the lighting you need (which in many places, and without lighting is most of the time).

-flugzeit

thanks

I actually dont have a camera only phone.
    Would like a compact camera around £200 I'm looking at the nikon j1 or similar.

Craftsman
    The iPhone is perfectly capable of taking great photos.
    It's all about setup, lighting and (at the risk of sounding pretentious) artistic vision.

This isn't great, but it shows that a camera phone (Nokia N8 in this case) can take a reasonable photo:

Breitling Aerospace by ianc666, on Flickr

As others have said it's mainly about lighting. And using a longish focal length - a lot of compact cameras produce quite distorted images as their macro mode is often closest at the wide angle setting.

Like Adrian, I find an iphone 5S and especially an ipad mini retina more than satisfactory for 99% of the time, lighting and a steady hand is always the crucial factor.

Here is one I took today in the car with the iPhone when it was raining (well it is Manchester...)

I took these using that

Last edited by seikomatic; 28th June 2014 at 05:20.

To add to what I've already posted here, I use an editing software called Irfanview. I use Irfanview to sharpen the pics and to adjust white balance, brightness, contrast and color intensity. It also allows me to adjust the size of my pics so that they're not a huge number of pixels (I usually wind up at around 700 x 525).

I sometimes couple what I've done in Irfanview with the cut and paste function from MSPaint to overlay my edited image over an even more edited background. In the picture below, I pasted the original image of the watch onto an image of the background that had been skewed heavily towards the blue end of the spectrum.

Again, all done with a picture that came from a crappy twelve year old Sony Cybershot 1.3 megapixel camera.

Last edited by TakesALickin; 28th June 2014 at 16:06.