closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The hunt for a Speedmaster moonwatch..

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    My speedy has just been returned by STS after a full clean and service (no polishing!). It is brilliant to have it back. Will post a thread later with some of the servicing pictures they sent me which are great. Fantastic watches!
    If you don't mind me asking, how long was it away with STS?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how long was it away with STS?

Thanks
    I think it was around 5 weeks. The service was overseen by Jack who took the watch there personally and inspected it before being returned. Simon, their chief technician, did the work for me. They've all been excellent throughout.

Finally!

Just secured one 3570.50 recently and very happy with the purchase.. although its around +7s per day..
    Will post pics later!

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    If he wants to sell it, send him my way ;)
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ter-Broadarrow

an opportunity for you!

Master
    I'm thinking I still want a snoopy. I might have to sell a couple first.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I'm thinking I still want a snoopy. I might have to sell a couple first.
    Unfortunately you'll be paying a premium over the standard model for a picture of a Snoopy on the dial and caseback, the rest of the model is the same as the standard Speedmaster Professional.

The last two that appeared at SWC company were £4k (used) and £4.5k (used but unworn), both sold within days of being listed.

Unless you find a Snoopy at a good price I'd stick with the standard Speedmaster Professional model.

In between the showers............

My 3560.50

Last edited by Kakadu; 29th May 2014 at 18:56.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    Unfortunately you'll be paying a premium over the standard model for a picture of a Snoopy on the dial and caseback, the rest of the model is the same as the standard Speedmaster Professional.

The last two that appeared at SWC company were £4k (used) and £4.5k (used but unworn), both sold within days of being listed.

Unless you find a Snoopy at a good price I'd stick with the standard Speedmaster Professional model.
    I know been there done that figured it all out. Still the snoopy calls me.

Still the snoopy calls me.
    Good luck with your quest.

Craftsman
    Anyone know anything about the 3872.50?

Im in the market for a speedy and came across this on the bay. I can't seem to fin much info on it at all though.

Quote Originally Posted by Petewon View Post

Im in the market for a speedy and came across this on the bay. I can't seem to fin much info on it at all though.
    To the best of my knowledge, the 3872.50.31 is the same as the 3572.50.00 with a hesalite crystal, display back and decorated c.1863 movement, but on a leather strap rather than on the 1499/842 steel bracelet. They were produced in the late 90s, early 2000s.
    Last edited by PickleB; 31st May 2014 at 09:31.

Craftsman
    Cheers for the info, I couldn't find much about it. Looks quite tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, the 3872.50.31 is the same as the 3572.50.00 with a hesalite crystal, display back and decorated c.1863 movement, but on a leather strap rather than on the 1499/842 steel bracelet. They were produced in the late 90s, early 2000s.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    Good luck with your quest.
    You know I thought about buying a regular 3572.50.00 and modding it with a snoopy dial ( many available on ebay so I assume other people have the same idea) and caseback ( these seem to be a lot more difficult to get a hold of). It seemed a little bit like cheating to me though.

Definitely cheating in my book! I'd rather save up but I'd love to own one of those one day. Won't be selling my vintage speedy though to buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Petewon View Post

I'd trust Bob on that one. 3572 are the best of both worlds for me, but slightly too old and too precious for a daily wearer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Definitely cheating in my book! I'd rather save up but I'd love to own one of those one day. Won't be selling my vintage speedy though to buy it!
    I think the snoopy comes in a blue box, but have seen them for sale without boxes or with the regular red box.....

caseback ( these seem to be a lot more difficult to get a hold of)
    You can get the case backs on eBay too but they won't be engraved with the limited edition number. There have been a few threads on here showing standard Speedmaster Professional conversions to a limited edition model, quite often it's to the white dial variants.

Is it cheating? Hmmm, well bar the images of Snoopy everything else is stock, the watch still feels like a normal Speedmaster Professional on the wrist (which for me turns out to be a very comfortable wear), this also means it as versatile as the standard Speedmaster Profesional too!

Thinking about it, if you can get authentic Omega dials and can get a watch maker to switch them out it makes the Speedmaster Professional more versatile ... I love this watch

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    I think the snoopy comes in a blue box, but have seen them for sale without boxes or with the regular red box.....
    Blue/Grey box with a picture of Snoopy and the words "Eyes on the stars", you'll also get a certificate of authenticity, everything else is standard issue (booklets etc). The one that sold at SWC recently also came with a bumper sticker, never seen that before.

Finally here!

I know there has been a delay in uploading the pics. Apologies that its just iphone pics as well.
    Looks like my crystal mark is actually sideways ..
    I have poped mine on a nato at the moment .. waiting for the bracelet tool

By the way, please can someone explain about the blue or red marker/seal on the back of the watch? Like, what should it really look like. I can't seem to locate mine.. Have I bought a lemon??

Congratulations, the Speedmaster Pro is a truly brilliant watch I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Sorry I can't help with regards to the blue or red marker seal, looks like yours does have the Omega anti forgery / counterfeit stamp though.

Master
    Well done, a great watch.

I don't think the marker matters all that much on older pieces. I am not sure when Omega started applying them but essentially a red marker, just a tiny drop of paint, is applied on new watch and it should be intact if the watch has not been opened. It is found on the rim of the caseback touching the case. If the watch has been opened by Omega for whatever reason they applied a blue dot instead. (One of my piece went back for warranty work and came back with a blue dot)

Many Speedmasters are serviced by independents and no dot. Overall it does not matter and your watch looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by SiderealJ View Post
    Just secured one 3570.50 recently and very happy with the purchase.. although its around +7s per day...
    Quote Originally Posted by SiderealJ View Post
    ...By the way, please can someone explain about the blue or red marker/seal on the back of the watch? Like, what should it really look like. I can't seem to locate mine.. Have I bought a lemon??
    From the look of the pics, you have not...as far as I can tell it's good. That looks like a fairly recent 3570.50. If it's been opened and/or serviced then the red dot will have gone. It's absence just means that whoever did the opening up wasn't Omega accredited (as far as I know). Did you get any paperwork with it that shows a history of servicing?

Congratulations...and enjoy your Speedy.

In the first pic it's on a bracelet. Which one is it, please? I'm assuming that it came with the watch and you've moved over to the NATO.

Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    Well done, a great watch.

I don't think the marker matters all that much on older pieces. I am not sure when Omega started applying them but essentially a red marker, just a tiny drop of paint, is applied on new watch and it should be intact if the watch has not been opened. It is found on the rim of the caseback touching the case. If the watch has been opened by Omega for whatever reason they applied a blue dot instead. (One of my piece went back for warranty work and came back with a blue dot)

Many Speedmasters are serviced by independents and no dot. Overall it does not matter and your watch looks good.
    Thanks Tim. Ok, at first I thought they mark it on the anti-counterfeit stamp.. and I was thinking how could they make sure it comes off if its been opened slightly silly of me there..

From the look of the pics, you have not...as far as I can tell it's good. That looks like a fairly recent 3570.50. If it's been opened and/or serviced then the red dot will have gone. It's absence just means that whoever did the opening up wasn't Omega accredited (as far as I know). Did you get any paperwork with it that shows a history of servicing?

Congratulations...and enjoy your Speedy.

In the first pic it's on a bracelet. Which one is it, please? I'm assuming that it came with the watch and you've moved over to the NATO.
    Hi Bob. thanks for your comment again. Yes, it came with the bracelet, but it was too big, so I've move it onto the black nato for now.. No paperwork of service and owner said it hasn't been serviced. Its a 2008 watch, so will have to look into that soon.
    The first pic was when I jussstt got it and was very eager to put it on, on the way home!

Speedmaster missions

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd ask my question in this one as there's quite a bit of interesting info in here.

Can anyone tell me, please, where I can find a list of all the model numbers for the Omega Speedmaster mission watches (link)?

Did you find an empty case?

Seriously I suppose you could go through the chronomaddox.com Speedy history
    and note all the mission watch numbers...........

Quote Originally Posted by Kakadu View Post
    Did you find an empty case?

Seriously I suppose you could go through the chronomaddox.com Speedy history
    and note all the mission watch numbers...........
    No...no case, just scratching my itch to have complete references.

CM, Marco Richon's tables etc seem to give the case numbers, but I think some of them also had model numbers that I cannot find.

Not much help - I would just like to see one up close and personal!

I found an interesting example on eBay. From a LE of 69, it's a 311.90.42.30.01.001: link.

Then there's this BA 145.022 model from a LE of 1,014: link.
    Last edited by PickleB; 5th July 2014 at 21:16.

Master
    Looks like my crystal mark is actually sideways ..

My Omega icon is angled at 11.25 (don't think you can see it) no scratches after 3 years of ownership but a ding on the bezel between 90 and 100 mark .

What an absolute wealth of info this thread has proven, got a speedy itch that will need scratching at one point and this gives me the info i will need in my search.

My Wife loves the snoopy as we have a Beagle but had no plans on spending that amount, Im more concerned about manual wind/Auto and crystal/hesalite

Cheers

Craftsman
    Looks like the specs and ref on the moon watches have changed:
    3573.5000 (saphire sandwich) is now
    3570.500 ( hesalite) is now
    http://www.omegawatches.com/collecti...31130423001005

There's a new box and some extra straps and bits. I think the bracelet might have changed but no mention on the omega site.
    And yes a price increase...

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Looks like the specs and ref on the moon watches have changed:
    3573.5000 (saphire sandwich) is now
    3570.500 ( hesalite) is now
    http://www.omegawatches.com/collecti...31130423001005

There's a new box and some extra straps and bits. I think the bracelet might have changed but no mention on the omega site.
    And yes a price increase...
    I'd also heard that there is a new version of the bracelet. I'll be interested to find out what the changes are and the reference for it, if anyone should know what they are.

Master
    I'd also heard that there is a new version of the bracelet. I'll be interested to find out what the changes are and the reference for it, if anyone should know what they are.
    I went into Harrods this bank holiday Monday and popped into the Omega boutique. The sales woman had no knowledge of a new bracelet (screws rather than pins AFAIK) for the speedy, nor a nato/loupe. You heard it there last!

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    I went into Harrods this bank holiday Monday and popped into the Omega boutique. The sales woman had no knowledge of a new bracelet (screws rather than pins AFAIK) for the speedy, nor a nato/loupe. You heard it there last!
    There is this article: New Speedmaster Box, with some pictures.

And...apparently the new bracelet is the 1958/957 (OME-020ST1958957) with (according to Ofrei) links that are held together by a threaded bar and two screws.
    Last edited by PickleB; 9th September 2014 at 23:07.

Just flipped this, funnily originally from Harrabs! Couldn't bond, didn't feel the same as my 1969 version which it was meant
    to replace. Sad really but it opens up "vintage Omega world" for me again and the search is on for a vintage replacement!

David