closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pin Removal Tool?

Pin Removal Tool?

I need to remove the pins (non screw ends) from a stainless bracelet, to adjust it.

I have cheap and nasty one I bought from eBay a few years back but it is awful.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced, reasonably quality, pin removal tool for steel bracelets?

I need one that will push the pin through the bracelet and out the other side, not just give you enough to grab onto with a pair of small pliers.

Master
    What's wrong with carefully using a pair of pliers?
    Useful for when you need to push it back in.
    I bought one off Amazon for the extortionate price of £1.69, I think.
    Took a while to arrive, since it was direct from China – but it did the trick for adding a new link to my Spring Drive……with the aid of some humungous pliers!

I don't think you'll find a pin removal tool that is designed to go through the length of the hole, as one side of the bracelet is slightly larger in diameter than the other to accommodate the collar. So there's little call for pushing something out that's stuck inside, since that can't happen.

I had good success adjusting my Zenith bracelet with a Bergeon spring bar tool one of the fork ends interchanges with a pin and the this was quite sufficient to push the pin out.

I have also used a cheap screw out pin extractor and although that looks like the better tool the push pin didn't last long and was hard to align so would probably say good for one or two uses whereas the Bergeon tool allows you to remove straps and do pins and will last a lot longer.

Master
    The best one I've had is this Seiko one mentioned here:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post2618440

There are a couple of reviews of it on the forum somewhere.

I have to say, I only push mine out far enough to get the pliers on.

It cost me a couple of quid off eBay but it's worked fine every time I've used it!

M.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    What's wrong with carefully using a pair of pliers?
    It is for a Nautilus and as far as I can tell, both sides are identical and the pin is held in due to a very tight fit.

A pin removal tool makes the most sense

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I had good success adjusting my Zenith bracelet with a Bergeon spring bar tool one of the fork ends interchanges with a pin and the this was quite sufficient to push the pin out.
    Bergeon won't budge them - I've tried.

As for using pliers, even when they are part way out, you cannot pull them out without scoring them and ruining the pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    The best one I've had is this Seiko one mentioned here:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post2618440

There are a couple of reviews of it on the forum somewhere.
    Not sure that would work and seems pricey for something I'll use once a year.

I was thinking of one like this:

However, I may just end up with something like this:-

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I have to say, I only push mine out far enough to get the pliers on.

It cost me a couple of quid off eBay but it's worked fine every time I've used it!

M.
    I wish it did on the Patek but it doesn't.
    Last edited by AM94; 6th June 2014 at 14:01.

Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    It is for a Nautilus and as far as I can tell, both sides are identical and the pin is held in due to a very tight fit.

As for using pliers, even when they are part way out, you cannot pull them out without scoring them and ruining the pin.
    Mmmm - OK, if I had a Nautilus, I might think twice

Although I'm sure they charge numerous limbs for a service, so might as well give them something to polish out!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I haven't yet found a bracelet it can't handle, and it's a lot cheaper here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SEIKO-...item41774d211c

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post

Thanks Duncan!

Master
    You're worried about possibly marking a part which no-one ever sees?
    Trust me when I say my SD's pins were tight alright, but half out with the pusher, then a slight twist as you gently pull with the pliers.
    Bob's you aunt Fanny on the weekends!

Maybe you just need a decent set of pliers – my I recommend these.
    And this is the tool I now have.

Don't get me wrong, the Seiko one looks the part, but unless you're doing link removals daily, I don't see the benefit of spending 20x more when it's not necessary.

I'll never understand any reluctance to spend £30 for a decent bracelet tool when you're going to be adjusting the bracelet of a watch with a value of multiples of thousands of pounds. I certainly wouldn't be tackling it with a £1.50 pin tool and a pair of pliers!

I was thinking of one like this:

The bergeon probably WOULD budge them - if you removed the tool bit from the other side of the tool and gave it a tap with a small hammer, making sure the link is against a bit of cork, or wood with a hole to let the pin through (Ive had numerous successes this way).

I also have the exact same A*F tool as in your picture and that's never presented me with a single problem.

Master
    I'll never understand any reluctance to spend £30 for a decent bracelet tool when you're going to be adjusting the bracelet of a watch with a value of multiples of thousands of pounds. I certainly wouldn't be tackling it with a £1.50 pin tool and a pair of pliers!
    Well what is exactly wrong with the £1.50 tool, which arrived with 5 spare pushers of 2 or 3 different diameters?
    I don't see the equation between a £2K or higher watch, with a tool that is the correct size to push out the pins, with which a pair of pliers can grasp and gently aid its complete removal.
    Like most things in todays world – there's those who'll only buy the more expensive item because they can or believe it must be the best, and those who spend only as much as the job requires.
    I didn't bugger up my pins or collars, and as I only needed to use it once for the SD, the extra cost for the one you've linked to isn't warranted.
    If I were adjusting bracelets all day long, every day, then you spend more for the better lasting option – that much is pretty much common sense. However, to make a blanket statement that a cheap tool shouldn't be used on expensive items, is narrow-minded at best, or just plain old snobbery.

Had I found the tool wasn't up to the task or caused damage, you can bet I'd be making a lot of noise about the fact, so that others could learn from my mistake – but that's not the case, so I happily endorse the use of said cheap tool and a decent set of pliers, and taking it easy rather than being like a bull in a china shop.

Many thanks for the link - have just bought one.

If it's anywhere close to the quality of the Seiko tool for removing case backs that I have, I'll be well happy.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Well what is exactly wrong with the £1.50 tool, which arrived with 5 spare pushers of 2 or 3 different diameters?
    I don't see the equation between a £2K or higher watch, with a tool that is the correct size to push out the pins, with which a pair of pliers can grasp and gently aid its complete removal.
    Like most things in todays world – there's those who'll only buy the more expensive item because they can or believe it must be the best, and those who spend only as much as the job requires.
    I didn't bugger up my pins or collars, and as I only needed to use it once for the SD, the extra cost for the one you've linked to isn't warranted.
    If I were adjusting bracelets all day long, every day, then you spend more for the better lasting option – that much is pretty much common sense. However, to make a blanket statement that a cheap tool shouldn't be used on expensive items, is narrow-minded at best, or just plain old snobbery.

Had I found the tool wasn't up to the task or caused damage, you can bet I'd be making a lot of noise about the fact, so that others could learn from my mistake – but that's not the case, so I happily endorse the use of said cheap tool and a decent set of pliers, and taking it easy rather than being like a bull in a china shop.
    You'll find out what's wrong the first time it breaks, and I wouldn't go near a bracelet with a pair of pliers even if it is only the pin! I don't remember making a blanket statement of how cheap tools shouldn't be used on expensive watches, I'm not quite sure how you came to that conclusion. To clarify, my point is the cheap bracelet tool you pictured is a false economy, the chances are it will eventually fail and the consequences of it failing in the middle of sizing a violently expensive bracelet could be in itself be very expensive.

Duncan, the link was appreciated. I bought one and it will save me running back and forth to the AD to get the bracelet just right. The Nautilus used to have screws in the bracelet but in circa 2012 they went over to pins and as a result it isn't as east to tweak.

Thanks again to those who offered options.

Master
    I don't remember making a blanket statement of how cheap tools shouldn't be used on expensive watches, I'm not quite sure how you came to that conclusion.
    "…..£30 for a decent bracelet tool when you're going to be adjusting the bracelet of a watch with a value of multiples of thousands of pounds. I certainly wouldn't be tackling it with a £1.50 pin tool and a pair of pliers!"

I don't think there's any other way to interpret that – it's pretty self explanatory.
    No matter, having done mine (and the first time I'd ever attempted a bracelet re-sizing), I see no need to be fearful of working carefully and diligently with a pair of pliers to remove a half-pushed out pin.
    There was never any danger of the pliers touching the bracelet since there was plenty of pin extracted to grab hold of, plus I'm not a ham-fisted oaf with unsteady hands.

It isn't a skill-based task, it doesn't require hand-eye co-ordination like threading a needle does, all it takes is to not go at it with brute force and ignorance. Otherwise it's easier than learning to tie your shoelaces.

I'll defer to your superior skills of deduction and plier wielding wizardry as I obviously don't have a clue what I'm on about!

For me, it's about using the correct tool for the job.

I've had some pins that come out way too easily (and I fear for the bracelet falling off my wrist) and others where it has taken a major effort with pliers (or mole grips) to remove them.

For £30 I have just bought a tool that will hopefully reduce my chance of damaging any of my watches, make my life easier and, in all probability, will be easy to re-sell in the future should I ever choose to do so.

For me, it was a no brainer. YMMV.

Master
    I'll defer to your superior skills of deduction and plier wielding wizardry as I obviously don't have a clue what I'm on about!
    I refer the honourable gentleman to my post in the BP.

Grand Master
    There's no single correct answer to the 'which tool to use' question. It all depends on the bracelet in question and how tight the pins are.

I don`t own the Seiko tool but I`m thinking I ought to get one, because it's the most robust pressing tool for the job, and there are times when this would be an advantage.

PJS has been successful with a cheap tool + pliers; I`ve done this several times myself, but there will be cases where this won`t work. If the protruding pin won`t pull out using reasonable force (with smooth-jawed pliers, to protect the pins) the answer is to tap or press the pin out further by using something with a small enough diameter to go into the retaining tube. A spare bracelet pin can be used, but they need tapping carefully because they bend easily.

The blue plastic pressing tools are no good, they bend and break far too easily. The aluminium-bodied A & F is far better and far more robust and that's what I use.

Using poor tools/technique on an expensive watch isn`t a good idea; you may get away with it but the risk of damage is too high for my liking.......especially when the watch in question isn`t mine.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Many thanks for the link - have just bought one.

If it's anywhere close to the quality of the Seiko tool for removing case backs that I have, I'll be well happy.
    Philip - do you have a link to that? I have the Seiko bracelet tool and the use of it is just within my capabilities. I'd be interested in what the case-back tool looks like.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    ...I'd be interested in what the case-back tool looks like.
    Watch Tools by Seiko at Ofrei.

Thanks awfully...
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I bought mine from these people: http://www.esslinger.com/seiko-s-261...ck-opener.aspx

Cheaper than Ofrei and they shipped my order (I got a few other bits at the same time) very quickly.

I would recommend the Seiko one, many have also recommended this.
    AGThomas sells it from the UK
    http://www.agtshop.co.uk/acatalog/Bracelet_Tools.html

but as mentioned by cannop, This guy is currently selling it quite cheap. I just ordered one from him last week (although to a Thai address). Arrived fine, no problem, brand new.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=271515249818

Is the Bergeon 6767F the best starting point? I assume this will do spring bars, and the fine point will push pins?

Quote Originally Posted by SiderealJ View Post
    I would recommend the Seiko one, many have also recommended this.
    AGThomas sells it from the UK
    http://www.agtshop.co.uk/acatalog/Bracelet_Tools.html

but as mentioned by cannop, This guy is currently selling it quite cheap. I just ordered one from him last week (although to a Thai address). Arrived fine, no problem, brand new.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=271515249818
    How do the numbers work out here?

A G Thomas (a reputable firm) want £72 + VAT + postage = £90.58 for the Seiko tool, sold on their own web site.

The eBay seller (I haven't got mine yet, but he has sent me a tracking number) will send me the same tool for £29.78, including postage from Thailand, pay his eBay and PayPal fees and (presumably) still make a profit.

How do you explain the disparity?

How do you explain the disparity?
    I think this is new old stock vs. new stock. I heard that the prices of these tools have shot up recently given its popularity, and since AG Thomas is a proper shop, their stock will probably be quite new.

Here some pics of the one I received from the guy selling on ebay from Thailand. Sorry for the pic quality, this was taken by my old man:

Definitely new old stock. There's no difference in the tool apart from the storage of the pushers/blades. In the new models there's a rubber base that can be removed and they are stored in there.

Last edited by Thewatchbloke; 10th June 2014 at 14:31.

Thanks for the link. Mine arrived this afternoon in a colourful PostPack padded envelope from Thailand...and I had to sign for it!

Ordered mine at the same time and it is still to arrive... must be on the slow boat!

Mine also arrived today, also in a very pretty envelope - and I also had to sign for it.

Mine also arrived today, also in a very pretty envelope - and I also had to sign for it.
    Pah! Stop rubbing it in!

I started this thread and ordered it as soon as Duncan posted up the link... this is unacceptable! ;)