closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Nautilus lovers out there ?

Any Nautilus lovers out there ?

Gents,

I must confess that I may have found a new "Elanore", as it happens so very often - part of the curse of enthusiasm. I craved, bought, owned and sold a 322701, and loved the Genta design. Actually, still do, but have to make replacements in the collection rather than just add to it, to make sure that SWMBO stays within the contract :-)

I am not quite ready, but if I had to sell all, and settle for one watch only, I have a strong desire for the PP Nautilus without complications of significance and with the blueish dial - the 5711/1A. It is stunning, subtle, elegant, sporty and very classy without being what young people call "bling"... A bold statement because it is a Patek, which is a brand I do not really crave as such, but image-wise much less "out of reach" than what a Patek is considered to be. I'd say, it is the Enfant Terrible of the lineup from PP, which for me somehow brings it a bit down to earth again.

I read reviews comparing it to a Rolls Royce. Not something I really want, and far from how I perceive the watch. But to me, it appears to be very versatile and despite being a great looker still discrete enough to fly under the radar of people with less interest in watches.

What do you think and do you have any experience with the Nautilus ? Does the name and brand outshine what is truly a stunning watch ? Is it a peacock or a stealthy stunner ? Wristshots are very welcome of course :-)

Opinions are as always valued despite colour - pros and cons are a great help.

Have a great weekend !

Cheers,
    Henrik

P.S.
    A couple of pics shamelessly stolen from Puffy. I trust, that he'll let me know if I he objects, and his pictures are great !

Edit - picture links removed as per request, but others have put up some stunning pics below in the thread :-)
    Last edited by Henrik Gelardi; 18th April 2014 at 14:27.

Funnily enough I was going to buy an Aquanaut tomorrow, but pondering over these lovely things (which I've been drooling over for most of today) has caused me to put my plans on hold. I now really am in a bit of a pickle.

I have a white Nautilus and spent some time considering between the white and the blue dial. Whilst the white looks like a simple white in photos, the dial has a lot of depth in the metal and a truly special finish. That coupled with the fact I had a blue dialled watch, and preferred the colour of the batons on the white Nautilus, swung it for me. When I purchased mine, white version were a 12 month wait minimum and the blue about 6 months. Despite being stainless, most dealers only seemed to get very limited supply.

I wear mine seldom and save it for 'special' times; therefore, I always feel a sense of occasion when I choose to wear it. Mine was tied into my 40th and therefore has sentimental value which probably gives my views a slight rose tint; nevertheless, the quality and finish makes anything else I own seem lesser in comparison.

As with all watches, it is down to personal opinion but I'd suggest trying one and seeing what it feels like on the wrist. You'll soon know if it is really what you covet. :)
    Last edited by AM94; 11th April 2014 at 20:22.

Craftsman
    The white dial looks great in person, beautiful watch. Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Funnily enough I was going to buy an Aquanaut tomorrow, but pondering over these lovely things (which I've been drooling over for most of today) has caused me to put my plans on hold. I now really am in a bit of a pickle.
    Tony,

You won't go wrong with the Aquanaut, but my heart lies elsewhere - maybe a test ride with both and a few days to absorb ?

Cheers,
    Henrik

P.S.
    When you tire of the Nautilus, I'll be there ;-)

I absolutely love the Nautilus but alas cannot afford one. :-(
    Neil

Likewise, love the Nautilus but doubt I'll ever have the pleasure of owning one.

This is likely to be the only sort of Nautilus I'll ever own:

...but the Patek is nice too :)
    Last edited by Stanford; 11th April 2014 at 20:56.

Blog Entries
    £18k for a stainless steel watch is a lot of money. Factor in service costs and it may make you look in another direction, I know I did.

Master
    I think it’s absolutely stunningly gorgeous!

Unlikely that I’ll ever own one, of course, but I haven’t entirely given up hope.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it’s absolutely stunningly gorgeous!

Unlikely that I’ll ever own one, of course, but I haven’t entirely given up hope.

5980 is the way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard. View Post
    5980 is the way forward.
    That's far, far more than I'm looking to pay, Richard. It's the non-complicated models that appeal, anyway.

That's far, far more than I'm looking to pay, Richard. It's the non-complicated models that appeal, anyway.
    I just can't quite get a PP without a complication. Maybe one day,

Yes a love here of the watch too, I prefer that watch to some of the more expensive PP but I would have to win the Euro lotto on a rollover week to justify/afford one of those on my wrist.

Yes, I bought a 5711 a couple of weeks ago. Too early to say how often I will wear it, but it really is a stunning thing. Much prefer wearing it to the chronograph (5980?) which looks great but is top heavy for my taste. The 5711 is the slimmest watch in my collection and that's something I really like.

Perfectly understand the "£18k for a steel watch" argument. However...I prefer to look at value in terms of what a watch costs to own. A Nautilus will retain more of it's value than most other similarly priced watches, irrespective of materials. That seems what's most important.

Here's a fairly poor quick wrist shot as requested. Happy to answer any other questions, but no expert:

Great watches. I nearly bought a 5711R some time ago but at the last second didn't. The newer ones have pins in the bracelets instead of screws and some comment on the indices not matching the hands. Then of course there's the scratch magnet argument and non hacking movement and lately you can't adjust the time after 1800hrs apparently.

My only issues with the Nautilus (and Aquanaut) are the boys that buy them, but can't really afford to. They stretch their finances by thinking that buying into the lower ranks of Patek they have arrived at horologies pearly gates. They have finally found their "keeper". These guys defend the company quite aggressively and if you dare challenge the servicing ethos of the Sterns (peace be upon them) you get slagged off. You're in real trouble if you dare mention Patek buy parts in and their watches are made on a machine operated by a computer and not made in a historical barn by someone who is at least eighty years old. For some reason these guys always seem to be selling their keeper six month later...

But that isn't the fault of the Nautilus. From what I remember and have read, the Nautilus is beautifully comfy and light. It has very good timekeeping and is money in the bank. Plus, Patek's image is still one of class and elegance.

I've added a comparison pic of the Nautilus and the AP Diver.

Credit to DonD for the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 12th April 2014 at 07:12.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Plus, Patek's image is still one of class and elegance.
    ....this sums up what I was about to say about the Nautilus! It is a lovely looking watch.

ATB

Jon

Funny you should say that about the hands. I tried a new Aquanaut on last week (sorry to hijack the thread somewhat, by the way), and the lume on the hands and dial was a perfect match. Having come within a hair's breadth of relieving Watch Club of theirs, I see that - on every photo of the watch - the lume on the hands is a completely different colour to that on the dial. I'm aware that it might be partly down to the light, but even so there's clearly a difference, and I've decided not to go down there this morning in case I get sucked into a deal that I later regret because of this.

http://www.watchclub.com/w6737/patek...jumbo-full-set

Any thoughts?

Master
    I prefer the Aquanaut, but the Nautlius is more of a PP classic design in my opinion.

Banned

Any thoughts?
    Stop looking at used ones on the internet.

Get down to a PP Salon and try on a Aquanaut and Nautilus. Also, make sure you also try different strap variations, in order to get a complete 'feel'. Then, order one.

By the way, I have a feeling you'll end up wearing a Nautilus.

Master
    I've always found the 5711 a but boring, and decidedly more 70s looking than the RO. But I've recently had the pleasure of wearing a 5712 for a couple of days and I love it. It's strange. I don't like asymmetrical dials usually, power reserve on an automatic, cut off hour markers. All things that should make my alarm bells ring, but it absolutely works for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post

Get down to a PP Salon and try on a Aquanaut and Nautilus. Also, make sure you also try different strap variations, in order to get a complete 'feel'. Then, order one.

Agree with this. Have recently accompanied my brother on several trips to the Salon. Very nice people, let me play with lots of watches, despite several Chinese teenagers buying two or three without even trying on :(

Despite both being steel sport, Aquanaut and Nautilus are completely different watches on the wrist. Will be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post

Yes, Steve, can't argue with any of that (I had a long session playing with the 5167 and 5164 (GMT) the other day, but sadly there was no bracelet version to try).

You may just be right with regard to the Nautilus as well. I'll spend more time comparing the two, I think, as this one can't be regretted in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    Agree with this. Have recently accompanied my brother on several trips to the Salon. Very nice people, let me play with lots of watches, despite several Chinese teenagers buying two or three without even trying on :(

Despite both being steel sport, Aquanaut and Nautilus are completely different watches on the wrist. Will be interesting to hear your thoughts.
    I'll report back!

I think the Nautilus is fantastic - much cleaner and nicer looking dial than an Aquanaut...

I've always wanted a Nautilus but alas every time I've tried one on I have to concede
    that it feels too puny and small on the wrist so I've never pulled the trigger.

When I went in the Patek boutique on Bond st I was surprised to find they had all the steel Nautilus in stock-
    some AD's give the 5711/1A the 'steel Daytona' treatment regarding waiting list/supply......

Funny you should say that about the hands. I tried a new Aquanaut on last week (sorry to hijack the thread somewhat, by the way), and the lume on the hands and dial was a perfect match. Having come within a hair's breadth of relieving Watch Club of theirs, I see that - on every photo of the watch - the lume on the hands is a completely different colour to that on the dial. I'm aware that it might be partly down to the light, but even so there's clearly a difference, and I've decided not to go down there this morning in case I get sucked into a deal that I later regret because of this.

Any thoughts?

The colour looks a decent match to me on mine....

Precisely, John. I expect perfection for the money, hence me not being en route to WC right now.

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    I think the Nautilus is fantastic - much cleaner and nicer looking dial than an Aquanaut...

I've always wanted a Nautilus but alas every time I've tried one on I have to concede
    that it feels too puny and small on the wrist so I've never pulled the trigger.

When I went in the Patek boutique on Bond st I was surprised to find they had all the steel Nautilus in stock-
    some AD's give the 5711/1A the 'steel Daytona' treatment regarding waiting list/supply......

Is it the slimness that's the issue for you? In terms of 'size', I find they wear a lot bigger than comparable sized watches like the sub for example.

Master
    I just can't seem to want a PP. I tried the Chrono of the OP watch on a while ago expecting to instantly want it, but I was surprised it did nothing for me at all.

I don't like the low power reserve, the different coloured date window, the thin bracelet, the very flat and scratch-able bezel, the weird hinge-looking things on the left. IMO, PP are very good at marketing but I don't think you gt any more for your money than a JLC or the like. I'm perfectly happy to stand corrected but if it was my money, I'd have a Royal Oak over it any day; and that's before I went to the AP factory last week.

Seeing the watches on show at Basel was a mixed bag too. I thought their dress watches were the nicest but then I preferred the Rolex Cellini range over them anyhow.

If you want Haute Horology in a steel sports watch, then from a financial perspective, the Nautilus is the smart choice. TBH I prefer the aesthetics of the Aquanaut, and find the AP RO more pleasing than both.

Haute Horology in a steel watch with minimal WR and robustness, it's a funny combination. I suppose such watches have stealth in their favour over gold and glitzy, but they are still not daily wearers.

I do struggle with the 70s style of the Nautilus, where's the RO is almost timeless.

David

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I just can't seem to want a PP. I tried the Chrono of the OP watch on a while ago expecting to instantly want it, but I was surprised it did nothing for me at all.

the weird hinge-looking things on the left. IMO, PP are very good at marketing but I don't think you gt any more for your money than a JLC or the like.
    I like the case design. I think that's a brave design choice and gives the watch better balance. But I always thought the AP15300 should have had crown guards to give it a sporty image and distance itself from being a facsimile of the original Jumbo.

Getting more for your money? Now, that will open a whole different can of worms! I've often quoted Tom Bolt when presented with a fake Patek on that video which does the rounds. He states watch manufacturers are taking the piss.

Master
    I like the case design. I think that's a brave design choice and gives the watch better balance. But I always thought the AP15300 should have had crown guards to give it a sporty image and distance itself from being a facsimile of the original Jumbo.

Getting more for your money? Now, that will open a whole different can of worms! I've often quoted Tom Bolt when presented with a fake Patek on that video which does the rounds. He states watch manufacturers are taking the piss.
    Ah now I certainly never mentioned "value for money". That's a whole different thing entirely. If you want that, you should read my thread on the brands that impressed me most at Basel :-)

I just don't see any technical expertise that surpasses a cheaper in-house watch from another brand in terms of PP's steel sports models. These high end brands are all about their Master Complications. They're incredible creations.

Master

I don't like the low power reserve, the different coloured date window, the thin bracelet, the very flat and scratch-able bezel, the weird hinge-looking things on the left. IMO, PP are very good at marketing but I don't think you gt any more for your money than a JLC or the like. I'm perfectly happy to stand corrected but if it was my money, I'd have a Royal Oak over it any day; and that's before I went to the AP factory last week.

Seeing the watches on show at Basel was a mixed bag too. I thought their dress watches were the nicest but then I preferred the Rolex Cellini range over them anyhow.
    Perfectly reasonable opinion to have of course. We all like different things. Diversity should be celebrated. There aren't too many Pateks I like either. For me they are often missing the X factor. The difference between timeless and boring is often a very fine line.

I think your point about not getting any more for your money than a JLC is more applicable to other parts of the range (Calatrava 5227 v Master control date for example) rather than where the Nautilus sits. Whether you like it or not, it does offer something DIFFERENT. Whether you get MORE for your money over any watch that fulfils the requirements of a timepiece is questionable - certainly not in terms of functionality.

Any thoughts?
    Funnily enough, I've never seen a 5167 Aquanut in the flesh until recently, and was extremely impressed - it was the strap version (which I prefer TBH -it's a sporty look that dresses up nicely and very comfortable and durable, but I suppose it's always cheaper to add a strap to a bracelet watch than vv). I must say it was a subtle thing of loveliness. I really liked the fact it was very thin, but not insubstantial, and the detailing on the dial was superb, and very legible. It's dangerously close to being the ultimate allrounder.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Funnily enough, I've never seen a 5167 Aquanut in the flesh until recently, and was extremely impressed - it was the strap version (which I prefer TBH -it's a sporty look that dresses up nicely and very comfortable and durable, but I suppose it's always cheaper to add a strap to a bracelet watch than vv). I must say it was a subtle thing of loveliness. I really liked the fact it was very thin, but not insubstantial, and the detailing on the dial was superb, and very legible. It's dangerously close to being the ultimate allrounder.
    Echoing my thoughts/comments of late, Rob. I was blown away when I first tried it on - not just because of what's in serious danger of being perfect design/size/heft (IMO), but also because of the overall feeling of absolute quality.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 12th April 2014 at 17:45.

A couple of slightly better photo's...

A fella on a French forum has put a six-month old one on the sales corner this afternoon, he wants 19.5k euros for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Is it the slimness that's the issue for you? In terms of 'size', I find they wear a lot bigger than comparable sized watches like the sub for example.
    I like the slimness of the Nautilus- the design is simply the epitome of iconic class-
    but on big thick wrists like mine it just has no wrist presence, that's why I like the DSSD and
    similar.....but on an average sized wrist what could be cooler than a Nautilus?
    Amazing quality watch- a true blue chip model.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    I like the slimness of the Nautilus- the design is simply the epitome of iconic class-
    but on big thick wrists like mine it just has no wrist presence, that's why I like the DSSD and
    similar.....but on an average sized wrist what could be cooler than a Nautilus?
    Amazing quality watch- a true blue chip model.
    That does make sense. But still, that date window. It seems to be THE ONLY watch on TZ that escapes the date window colour argument. I guess I'm just missing the point.

Top of my list but I'll have to win the lottery first.

I've added a comparison pic of the Nautilus and the AP Diver.

Credit to DonD for the pic.
    That's a coincidence as I had a similar dilemma between the Nautilus and the ROO Diver.

Came to a similar conclusion as some others have that the Nautilus is a thing of beauty but just a bit too delicate for my taste/lifestyle. It is very much a sports dress watch (if there is such a term?!) which I still find my Daytona does very well. And yes, the bracelet did feel "flimsy" on the Nautilus.

Compare that with the ROO Diver on a bracelet, it feels bombproof, (comparisons v DSSD have been made in other threads) and IMHO there is little to choose between the heritage and movement of the AP v PP.

Also tend to agree with some comments that the beauty of Patek lies in the complications and if I was to go down the Nautilus route, would really like the Annual Calendar... but at £30k won't be happening just yet!
    Last edited by Mazza; 13th April 2014 at 09:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    That's a coincidence as I had a similar dilemma between the Nautilus and the ROO Diver.

Came to a similar conclusion as some others have that the Nautilus is a thing of beauty but just a bit too delicate for my taste/lifestyle. It is very much a sports dress watch (if there is such a term?!) which I still find my Daytona does very well. And yes, the bracelet did feel "flimsy" on the Nautilus.

Compare that with the ROO Diver on a bracelet, it feels bombproof, (comparisons v DSSD have been made in other threads) and IMHO there is little to choose between the heritage and movement of the AP v PP.

Also tend to agree with some comments that the beauty of Patek lies in the complications and if I was to go down the Nautilus route, would really like the Annual Calendar... but at £30k won't be happening just yet!
    This might interest you. Here's a great comparison of the 5711 & previous 15202 (links in thread):

http://montresmecaniques.forumactif....ec-de-l-ancien

This might interest you. Here's a great comparison of the 5711 & previous 15202 (links in thread):

http://montresmecaniques.forumactif....ec-de-l-ancien
    Ever wished you'd paid more (some) attention at school?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I'm a recent nautilus convert, used to do nothing for me but love them now, the build quality and attention to detail is fantastic, I especially like the the 5980 chromo black dial

congrats on the pickup, a true timeless piece

I've been trying to make my mind up on the Nautilus for a little while now. I have a whole folder of different wrist shots on my phone of the 5711 in both blue and white dial variations with a view to buying one.
    I also have tried on the 5711/1a 5726/1a and 5980/1a all with white dials. Unfortunately for my big wrists it just seems to suit those with smaller wrists better as others have mentioned. I'm not a fan of the blue dial on the 5711/1a and would love to see them change to the blue shade used on the 5980/1ar. I think in some ways I prefer the aquanaut, especially on the rubber strap, but I'm not a fan of the numerals. I think maybe I should be content with my lot until I can afford a 5205/r!

when i got.my.5711 last yr I wss particularly underwhelmed by it . its really feels scarily light
    and thin and dare I say it cheap looking. its fricking 18 large for a ss watch

it didn't help when ingot a rose ceramic daytona on the same day . the rose is a different beast
    and feels like a £20k watch both in weight and feel and how it wears and looks on the wrist .

after wearing the 5711 for a while it has really grown on me . I gave alwats wanted one since it was re released
    2008 ish time and shoulda bought one then when my friendly ad offered me one for 11/12k
    the dial is superb abd is chameleon like and changes from blue to grey to in different lighting.
    I have accepted it for what it is and is onenof the most comfortable pieces I own .

as for the price I still stand by only fricking patek could get away with charging
    what they charge for a ss watch.

Master
    I've thought about it a lot but decided I would only be prepared to pay £10K for the SS Nautilus, so if I were to buy one then it would probably be the 5711J in YG which is the same price used. Over 10K would need gold for me or a desired complication.

What are the holes for in the 'protuberances' on either side of the watch - just part of the design?

The white dial 5711 is a thing of beauty.

I tried to get one from a couple of places last year but with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    I've thought about it a lot but decided I would only be prepared to pay £10K for the SS Nautilus, so if I were to buy one then it would probably be the 5711J in YG which is the same price used. Over 10K would need gold for me or a desired complication.
    I don't get the preoccupation with the material as a determinant of how much a watch is 'worth'. Unless you happen to prefer the look of gold, where is the issue? Nobody is about to melt a Patek down for the scrap value and as long as the market values steel highly (as it does) why does it matter? You could pay £18k for a ss Patek and get £15k back if you sell, but perhaps a similarly priced gold watch will retain less residual value.