closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best entry level mont blanc?

Master

Best entry level mont blanc?

My wonderful wife wants to buy me a present to mark the arrival of our first born and i had toyed with the idea of getting a mont blanc pen before.

It would have to be a roller ball, but what model offers the best of their features without paying a fortune? their panerai 111 so to speak :)

Master
    Ooh no, don't get a RB. I'd suggest a biggish Pelikan FP instead, perhaps the M800.

Jason

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
    Ooh no, don't get a RB. I'd suggest a biggish Pelikan FP instead, perhaps the M800.

Jason
    Agree. I can't see the point of expensive ballpoint or rollerballs. The refill is the same as a cheap version. Get a fountain pen - much more special and more appropriate for the occasion. Pelikan or Conway Steward or Onoto.

All the above is true, you have a different relationship with a FP, its like owning a manual wind watch.

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    thanks for the advice, but a fountain pen wouldnt suit my hand writing

so regarding mont blanc, what would people recommend?

I have a Starwalker and a Meisterstuck. They both feel quite different to hold so it depends which feels more comfortable to you. I would say the Meisterstuck is the more entry level if that's what you're after but I prefer the look of the Starwalker.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    thanks for the advice, but a fountain pen wouldnt suit my hand writing

so regarding mont blanc, what would people recommend?
    When you say without paying a fortune?
    How about:
    SIGNATURE FOR GOOD
    The new Meisterstück Signature for Good Edition pays tribute to the enduring nature of this iconic product, and supports Montblanc’s programme with unique versions of the platinum-plated Meisterstück LeGrand and Meisterstück Classique. Each consists of a fountain pen, a rollerball and a ballpoint pen. A blue sapphire, echoing the colour of the UNICEF logo, adorns the archetypical cap, while the finely engraved symbolic brick motif pays tribute to the charitable initiative.
    £305 "free" engraving and fits in celebrating having a child as its UNICEF?
    My handwriting is so much better with a fountain pen, go on try something like a Parker Sonnet you know you want too

Master
    iv got a meisterstuck roller ball and it is very nice. it was a gift and luckily so as i wouldnt spend that kind of money on a plastic biro. mind you it looks good and feels special.

i recently bought my first fountain pen, a diplomat and it is a joy to use. i didnt think a fountain pen was for me prior to buying it but i really enjoy using it.

I've got a midnight black starwalker. Managed to get it from Heathrow for £162.50 a few years back (was a present from my mum and dad for my 40th). You can use RB or fineliner refills in it.

A lovely pen, bought a single MB sleeve for it at the same time from Heathrow so all in came to £200. Pretty much entry level but lovely to use

http://www.montblanc.com/en-gb/shop/...er-105656.aspx

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    All the above is true, you have a different relationship with a FP, its like owning a manual wind watch.

Agreed, but most of us don`t get chance to use a fountain pen thesedays. I used one on years gone by for work, but had to stop when the quality of the notebooks we used plummeted and the paper acted lie blotting paper (these notebooks were legal documents too.......I digress). Documents written in ink look far more professional, a touch of class IMO and the same goes for letters.

The ballpoint/quartz watch is a good analogy for me; however, I like a nice pen so I can see the appeal of quality ball-points etc. I`ve never progressed beyond stainless steel Parkers because I have a tendancy to lose them. At least a watch is fastened to the wrist so it's harder to misplace!

Paul

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I have a MB Platinum Line 5370 Ballpoint Pen and managed to pick this up on the bay for £115 complete and new. This is comfortable and nice to use, although I'm not sure I would want to pay the RRP for this as my cheaper Cross RB is just as good although the MB does slightly feel better in the hand.

You might want to check yourself as this is very personal and what feels nice in the hand can only be achieved when trying them out.

B

Meisterstuck probably the best option as it's a more classic design. Platinum instead of gold finish is also a good option as it looks much classier/understated - think of a stainless Sub versus a two-tone gold jobbie (and I use the word advisedly...). I've had a platinum Meisterstuck LeGrand as my main ballpoint for over 10 years and love it, mind you I also have a Pelikan M805 as my FP squeeze as well which I also love. Can't beat starting your daily to-do list with a decent FP.

Master
    What is it about your handwriting which makes a FP impractical?

I agree about going for a fountain pen. Three months ago I would never have said this, but now I wouldn't use anything else. You'll get a very good one for the price of a basic MB ballpoint too.
    Whatever you go for, you need to go to a pen shop and see what feels and writes best for you.

I prefer a ballpoint too... I've got a Meisterstuck. Very happy with it, understated, lovely pen.

May I suggest a couple of British options? Both easily as 'Gucci' as Mont Blanc. Conway Stewart or Onoto, I have a Conway Stewart Winston fountain pen and it's absolutely beautiful!

As an aside, don't buy from Pen Friend in London, vastly overpriced!

Jorrocks.

http://www.conwaystewart.com/product...2b855ddf0b1a64

http://www.onoto.com/luxury-pens/mag...d-with-chasing
    Last edited by Jorrocks; 7th April 2014 at 14:37.

Journeyman
    What is it about your handwriting which makes a FP impractical?
    Maybe a lefty? I have tried and failed with fountain pens (I'm a lefty too) so went for a Starwalker roller ball. Lovely pen.

Do they do a pencil Meiserstuck?

I love MB as a brand, I suppose I just bought in to it and aspired to owning one, I have a fountain pen that sits in a leather case on my desk and gets used twice a year, but I just love owning it, I also have three MB ball points and a pencil that I use for work, as much for show as anything else as the refill seems the same as any ball point pen.

When my son was born I bought my wife a MB keyring, it's been on her keys for eleven years now. Much better value for money, for us anyway.

Banned
    All watches tell the time. All pens write. Forget all the talk about bonding and other tosh, just buy what you want.

The Meisterstuck is the one in the MB range.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you want a rollerball, the Meisterstuck is a great choice (I have one) I prefer platinum to gold, as I like the silver colour. I like the fact that the rollerball also takes fibertip refills (or whatever they are called)

The Starwalker felt unbalanced to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    If you want a rollerball, the Meisterstuck is a great choice (I have one) I prefer platinum to gold, as I like the silver colour. I like the fact that the rollerball also takes fibertip refills (or whatever they are called)

The Starwalker felt unbalanced to me.
    Yep, that's the one I've got. Love it.

I have a Meisterstuck ball point that I use daily.Its exceptionally nice to write with and lightweight (have a Montegrappa that I never use as its too heavy) Montblanc is the Rolex of pens.

Blog Entries
    Wifey purchased my first last year, a Starwalker Fineliner.

It is a fantastic pen and swaps between blue and black nicely. Everyone who picks it up comments on how nice it feels and writes.

Can not recommend enough.

Ta
    Paul

Master
    With the fineliners, do you find that they get through refills quite quickly though? I have a Parker 5th which is basically a fineliner and I find the refills pricey and short-lived.

Jason

If you decide you want a fountain pen, I'll be selling one shortly. Mint and unusual.

Another happy owner of a Meisterstuck roller ball here. Mine has been used almost daily for many years and is a pleasure to use. However, I do regret getting rid of the matching fountain pen.

With the fineliners, do you find that they get through refills quite quickly though? I have a Parker 5th which is basically a fineliner and I find the refills pricey and short-lived.

Jason
    Definitely, can't believe how fast they go. It seems every time I leave it for a while and come back to it the ink has run out, perhaps it has dried out or I just forget I've used all the ink up!

Craftsman
    Nice to get as a present, though not sure I would spend the money myself.
    I think the basic/classic/standard would be a Meisterstuck, either ballpoint or rollerball if for regular use.
    I have a ballpoint I use daily. Feels nice.
    Get about 3-4 mths out of a refill.
    http://www.montblanc.com/en-gb/shop/...pen-10883.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    If you decide you want a fountain pen, I'll be selling one shortly. Mint and unusual.
    If one of the slimmer models, I may be interested...

Master
    I do refill them, though it's difficult to deal with the fibre tips when they have worn out.

Blog Entries

Jason
    I am still on originals and that is with daily use.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    If one of the slimmer models, I may be interested...

Its a Legrand 147 in Bordeaux red. I used it once a long time ago to sign my name on a cheque, cleaned it out and put it back in its box. It's been there for about 10 years!

Same as this one http://www.ebay.es/itm/NEW-MONTBLANC...-/181178708110
    Last edited by Scrubnut; 9th April 2014 at 13:27.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I find Fineliner refils "dry up" if not regularly used. Used daily, they are much better.