closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I seem to have a nato problem....

I seem to have a nato problem....

....in that I love 'em. I wear them on all three of my watches and I genuinely wear all of these:

I know there are many here who don't like them but for a serial strap changer like me they're just so versatile and there's nowt like a quick change on a morning to start the day.

David

20 seconds to change the look of a watch,what more could you ask for.

Agreed, I love 'em too!

Of my six or seven watches I'm only regularly wearing one at the moment and swapping the NATO's, as is said it really is a great way to change the look of a watch and refresh the interest in it. But sometimes too much choice with too many staps .............

You look to have a combination of 20mm and 22mm, what are the three watches you wear them on?

I have a NATO problem too... I hate them.

Not a popular opinion on this forum, but there you go :(

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Aquavit View Post
    Agreed, I love 'em too!

You look to have a combination of 20mm and 22mm, what are the three watches you wear them on?
    Thanks. From left to right:

1 - 4 are 18mm for my CWC G10 / W10

5 - 9 are 20mm for my PRS-18Q

10 - 12 are 22mm for my Smiths Everest

David

Strangely, I love them but Lynn doesn't like to see me wearing my watches on them. She recons they cheapen a watch's look.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Lynn has good taste, mate!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Lynn has good taste, mate!

Simon

I'm not too sure about that Simon; after all, she married me
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I can't see any problem here. Somebody loves it, somebody doesn't. It would be very boring if all of us had the same opinion.
    BTW, I like it too.

Master
    I don't want to start another thread and it's not really a hijack but what in people's opinion is the best colour option to go with an SD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtons99 View Post
    I don't want to start another thread and it's not really a hijack but what in people's opinion is the best colour option to go with an SD.
    This Dievas from Gnomon:

or an Admiralty Grey Phoenix from Silvermans.

Apprentice
    I like 'em too, and agree that they're good to be able to swap quickly to match your mood and to fit in or stand out from clothing combinations.

@TakeTheCanoli - out of interest where are no.s 7,8 & 9 in your photo from? I need a new orange strap to replace an old grubby one and I really the colour of the tan one & would like to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Burtz789 View Post
    I like 'em too, and agree that they're good to be able to swap quickly to match your mood and to fit in or stand out from clothing combinations.

@TakeTheCanoli - out of interest where are no.s 7,8 & 9 in your photo from? I need a new orange strap to replace an old grubby one and I really the colour of the tan one & would like to try it.
    Thanks, 7,8 & 9 are all from Monkeyswag. Good quality, although not in the league of Eddie's, Dievas or Maratac, but good value at £4.95.

David

Craftsman
    I never used to like them, but I've seen a few Rolex divers on them and I have to say I like the look. The only watch I have on a NATO is my Vostok

For me the issue is that I have to wear shirt and tie a lot in the week when visiting customers, and I don't think a NATO goes well with that look.

Quote Originally Posted by patnmand View Post

For me the issue is that I have to wear shirt and tie a lot in the week when visiting customers, and I don't think a NATO goes well with that look.
    I disagree. I wear a suit and tie every day and whether I'm meeting clients and stakeholders or delivering training I find a nato a good look as well as being ultra comfortable.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Thanks, 7,8 & 9 are all from Monkeyswag. Good quality, although not in the league of Eddie's, Dievas or Maratac, but good value at £4.95.

David
    I picked up an orange one from there for SWMBO the other day & thought it looked similar, seems all right quality but when I tried it it wasn't long enough to be able to tuck the "tail" back over on itself & that just looked wrong!

Even on SWMBO's wrist it could only tuck back into one of the bars rather than both.

Banned
    Apart from you needing to throw away that awful orange thing, a super set full of variety there my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Apart from you needing to throw away that awful orange thing, a super set full of variety there my friend.

Ordinarily I'd agree with you Steve but I bought it specifically for my 18Q and I think it looks the mutt's nuts

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Ordinarily I'd agree with you Steve but I bought it specifically for my 18Q and I think it looks the mutt's nuts
    It does actually mate, I was only winding you up. I do like the 18.

Blog Entries
    I will admit I do like a NATO.

Many forum members do say that they can't get their head around the though of putting a 'shitty' strap / bracelet onto an expensive watch head.

However, Rolex have been doing it for years, if it's good enough for them.........

Nice range, and there's so many variations out there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Strangely, I love them but Lynn doesn't like to see me wearing my watches on them. She recons they cheapen a watch's look.
    My Wife is of the same opinion, if there not on S/S they look cheap!

Master
    I've just one on the SD today a black and silver stripe, wife turned her nose up at it "cheap" she said !!

Master
    I love wearing a NATO it is my favourite type of strap as they always look great, well I think so :)

NATO straps are really comfy to wear and you have that security that both spring bars would need to fail to lose your watch when diving/or just wearing it, however the general perception from non WIS types are that that nylon straps are cheap & nasty, but a bracelet (even if it is a cheap one) means that it lifts the appearance of the watch.
    What do they know though? Certain watches especially ones with military history or dive watches are really suited to the functionality offered by a NATO, but you can't tell that to the watch innocents.

If I take a watch diving first choice is a NATO even if it comes with an expansion bracelet.

Grand Master
    A great selection and choice of NATO's .

NATO lover here too. In fact my "collection" of NATO's (which I use on about 5-6 of my watches) dwarfs yours considerably , 20-25+ ?, I can't be bothered to keep count. I even have multiples of the same just because I thought it will be fun to put 2 or more watches on the same for a while.

I really need to start a FS thread soon though as my strap situation is getting out of hand . If it was just NATO's its one thing but I was counting by leather straps a few weeks ago and it came up almost double my watch count....and some I only wear on bracelets...and that's besides the NATO's of course...Why, only for my Alpinist I bought about 5 to try on until I found that "perfect" one. I guess living on an island, middle of nowhere, with close to none options to buy locally makes things worse for me. I sometimes buy just to try on (and I mean watches, not straps!)

So, do you still think YOU have a problem ?
    Last edited by Dan83bz; 7th March 2014 at 23:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post
    NATO lover here too. In fact my "collection" of NATO's (which I use on about 5-6 of my watches) dwarfs yours considerably , 20-25+ ?, I can't be bothered to keep count. I even have multiples of the same just because I thought it will be fun to put 2 or more watches on the same for a while.

I really need to start a FS thread soon though as my strap situation is getting out of hand . If it was just NATO's its one thing but I was counting by leather straps a few weeks ago and it came up almost double my watch count....and some I only wear on bracelets...and that's besides the NATO's of course...Why, only for my Alpinist I bought about 5 to try on until I found that "perfect" one. I guess living on an island, middle of nowhere, with close to none options to buy locally makes things worse for me. I sometimes buy just to try on (and I mean watches, not straps!)

So, do you still think YOU have a problem ?
    If you put it like that then no, my problem isn't as bad as yours. Let me know what you want to sell and I'll see if I can take anything off your hands / wrist :)

David

Master
    I love the look of NATOs. But have never owned a watch that made me want to try. My next watch has to be nato friendly.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I have a NATO problem too... I hate them.

Not a popular opinion on this forum, but there you go :(

Simon
    +1......I would never dream of using one on a watch, I just don`t like 'em, to me they cheapen the look of any watch. Agreed, not a popular sentiment on this forum. Maybe I`m not a true WIS after all.

Paul

NATO fan here also, probably harbouring about 15 to swap between 28 pieces.
    I just can't seem to put the brakes on buying them !!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1......I would never dream of using one on a watch, I just don`t like 'em, to me they cheapen the look of any watch. Agreed, not a popular sentiment on this forum. Maybe I`m not a true WIS after all.

Paul
    Not even on an PRS-18? Or for that matter, any military watch? I will agree it cheapens the look on a Rolex, but that's a different matter entirely

+1 for the NATO. Metal can look cheap too, and the NATO has that whole form/function thing going on that as an engineer I think is aesthetically pleasing. In fact, I am inspired to buy more right away.