closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The hunt for a Speedmaster moonwatch..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    I only mention it as it was specified in my recent service schedule to STS that the crystal gets put back on the watch the right way round! Thanks to Jack for that tip.
    Mine came as was from new. Interesting to know though.

Hi..
    Sorry I havent been posting much, been pretty busy this week.

To answer, I am not interested in vintages (for now ) I am looking for something quite new.. but thank you all for the information!
    To answer a few recent posts as well.. I sneaked into an AD during lunch break and had a look over the hesalite and sapphire again... here goes:

And I also had a look at the regatta seamaster. Its rubbish ..

and.. a mint alaska project.. £4k.. sigh.
    http://forums.watchnet.com/index.php...o=659701&rid=0

Hopefully, I'll have time to be more active this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Plus View Post
    If the OP decides to go vintage there is a great 1971 moonwatch available from Mike at The Old Watch Shop at the moment. It has impeccable provenance - and I know this because it was my mate's. He owned it from new, wore it rarely, serviced it regularly. I had my eye on it for a while but never thought he would sell it as it had some sentimental value. You'd be hard pressed to find a better example of this vintage.
    Now sold for £1995.

Quote Originally Posted by SiderealJ View Post
    I sneaked into an AD during lunch break and had a look over the hesalite and sapphire again... here goes:
    ... more active this weekend!
    And what did you think comparison wise?

I have both and like them for different reasons, the Sapphire crystal is a good modern day enhancement to a classic watch but the hesalite is very clear and doesn't have any awkward reflections. It's a tough choice but fabulous watch.

As for the Alaska project, I feel your yearning, when I joined a new company in 2011 SWC were selling one at £3k, I had the cash but procrastinated and it sold. The white face is nice and it stands out from the Speedie crowd, if I saw a realistically priced good condition one now I'd consider it.

Master
    The 3570 is what I will be going for when I have the funds together. If you wait to get access they come along for around £1,500 to £1,800 with B&P but they don't stay around for long, especially at the lower price range. I wouldn't buy new myself. I may actually get a birth year 1976.
    Last edited by Schofie; 21st February 2014 at 19:22.

Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    And what did you think comparison wise?

I have both and like them for different reasons, the Sapphire crystal is a good modern day enhancement to a classic watch but the hesalite is very clear and doesn't have any awkward reflections. It's a tough choice but fabulous watch.

As for the Alaska project, I feel your yearning, when I joined a new company in 2011 SWC were selling one at £3k, I had the cash but procrastinated and it sold. The white face is nice and it stands out from the Speedie crowd, if I saw a realistically priced good condition one now I'd consider it.
    I do prefer the hesalite and can definitely notice the difference. I would recommend everyone who cant decide to pop into and AD and to try them on yourself.
    But to be honest, the sapphire sandwich comes very closely behind, and wouldn't mind getting that if a good deal pops up.

I only mention it as it was specified in my recent service schedule to STS that the crystal gets put back on the watch the right way round! Thanks to Jack for that tip.
    Great to know! If I happen to buy new, I shall go around with a lume to check!

Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    The 3570 is what I will be going for when I have the funds together. If you wait to get access they come along for around £1,500 to £1,800 with B&P but they don't stay around for long, especially at the lower price range. I wouldn't buy new myself. I may actually get a birth year 1976.
    Great, thank you for the info, I'll wait for that unless someone PMs me before I get access!

.. and to continue the topic .. our good old American friend is selling an Apollo XI here. I would say that its a great price even if you factor in import duty!

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Plus View Post
    If the OP decides to go vintage there is a great 1971 moonwatch available from Mike at The Old Watch Shop at the moment. It has impeccable provenance - and I know this because it was my mate's. He owned it from new, wore it rarely, serviced it regularly. I had my eye on it for a while but never thought he would sell it as it had some sentimental value. You'd be hard pressed to find a better example of this vintage.
    Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    Interesting thread. I love how Speedy threads garner such interest and feedback. Such an iconic watch. I'd urge the OP to look into some vintage models. I had a modern speedy but hardly wore it. It was nice but I just never warmed to it. I don't particularly like the polished links on the new Speedy bracelets. My vintage-69 piece is getting much more wear time. I only picked it up off the SC recently. Do your research and decide what model is right for you. There are so many variances it will pay off in the long run to pick the one you want in your budget.

For me a '69 with 861 calibre movement was the one I knew I wanted. What's harder is finding one in unmolested (over polished or missing original items) condition.

The speedy wears so well on so many leather straps. One of the most flexible and wearable watches ever made. Suitable for all occasions.

Attachment 5734
    Cheers guys, but I dont really like the look of a faded lume...
    waser.. how come your speedy has no tachy?

I'm sure you will have seen this, but the 1969 vintage speedy sold within a few hours over on SC. Looked liked a great watch.

Cheers guys, but I dont really like the look of a faded lume...
    waser.. how come your speedy has no tachy?
    Ah. The yellowy look of faded tritium is what makes it so appealing! :) but of course everyone has their preference.

Mine has a Tachy but it's faded to a grey/silver colour over the years as it's the original bezel. I wasn't sure if I'd like it but having had it for a few weeks now it's such a unique looking watch I wouldn't dream of changing it for a new one.

Ah. The yellowy look of faded tritium is what makes it so appealing! :) but of course everyone has their preference.
    Absolutely this. To be honest the Speedy is an old, outdated chronograph compared to other offerings out there and that's part of its charm. It's a vintage feeling piece that is almost an homage to itself nowadays. The latest 9300s I might have brought it bang up to date and they're stunning. When the the time comes again, I will have to decide on the 9300 or an Ed White stepped dial/applied logo and don't know which way I will go.

Actually I'd only consider a vintage Speedy if going for Cal861 and Hesalite. Sold mine to a dealer yesterday but for more than I was asking on here, which is nice. Made 500 quid (admittedly over 12 years) which helps dry the tears...

Just seen a c.321 on SC but it looks as though it has been completely restored (which didn't really do it for me). Good price though.

Master
    One of the major appeal is that Omega has not tempered with the design and the modern 3570 is a very good representation of a Speedy has always been about. I think it should be either a good vintage piece or a modern piece.

Do look at the moon watch numbered edition as well.

Just seen a c.321 on SC but it looks as though it has been completely restored (which didn't really do it for me). Good price though.
    I saw that too. It's a good looking watch (apart from the view caseback) and am I pleased to see that the seller is honest about it's provenance when he says the c.321 came from a CK2998. So, rather than being restored, I'd suggest that the watch has been assembled, although some restoration work may have been done on the various parts.
    Last edited by PickleB; 22nd February 2014 at 12:17. Reason: making sense!

Good point. I'm fairly certain that the bezel on it is an early 1970s one and not original to the c.321 model.

I also toyed with the idea of a clear case back for mine but was encouraged not to by various members here and by the STS folk.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I saw that too. It's a good looking watch (apart from the view caseback) and am I pleased to see that the seller is honest about it's provenance when he says the c.321 came from a CK2998. So, rather than being restored, I'd suggest that the watch has been assembled, although some restoration work may have been done on the various parts.

I rather like this Apollo 11

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMEGA-Spee...item338b15c5a3

bit pricey maybe - but looks good.

That's really tempting how does this calibre compare to that in the new ones ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluewater View Post
    Which are new ones? The 42 mm 3570.50.00 etc still use the c.1861, but the Omega Collection now offers 44.25 mm Moonwatch chronographs with the co-axial c.9300 & c.9301 movements.

Meanwhile, here's some reading that may help:

Master
    God this thread is making my life very difficult over the last few days

Which are new ones? The 42 mm 3570.50.00 etc still use the c.1861, but the Omega Collection now offers 44.25 mm Moonwatch chronographs with the co-axial c.9300 & c.9301 movements.

Meanwhile, here's some reading that may help:
    Cheers I meant 42 mm version not the co-ax cheers. What do you think is a fair price on the 30th anniversary one listed

Glad I could be of help Mr.D! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Kakadu View Post

What difference on the dial and bezel does this one have to the normal 3570.50?

Master
    Cheers I meant 42 mm version not the co-ax cheers. What do you think is a fair price on the 30th anniversary one listed
    There's only a couple of the 'special editions' that I would be prepared to pay a premium over the standard version and that's not one of them.

Glad I could be of help Mr.D! Ha!

What difference on the dial and bezel does this one have to the normal 3570.50?
    Cal 1861 this model ltd 9999 pieces

No difference on dial or bezel IMHO !
    Last edited by Kakadu; 22nd February 2014 at 16:27. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    There's only a couple of the 'special editions' that I would be prepared to pay a premium over the standard version and that's not one of them.
    Any reason why ? Guess you think this is overpriced?

IMHO this is slightly overpriced

extract from Chuck Maddox history

Speedmaster Professional "Apollo 11", special edition of the 30th anniversary, limited to 9,999 pieces, back with the mission patch and the first words of Neil Armstrong when he was on the moon Hello Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed, and date / hour of the first steps of man on the moon surface : July 21, 1969, 02:56 GMT, with individual number, with bracelet (PIC 3560.50): the only moon watch for sale in the period April/December 1999

What's is positive about the ebay Apollo 11 is that it is complete, negative - it's ebay.....looks like good seller, price high end IMHO

Cheers majority positive feedback. Is it a better buy than new model available at this price. Apparently was purchased in September last year and serviced, recently traded in with the current seller. I like the idea of a limited edition model.

TomGW which ones do you feel worth a premium?
    Last edited by Bluewater; 22nd February 2014 at 17:26.

Tom is playing Rugby....or sommat - but it would pay to heed his advice as he probably knows
    a hell of a lot more than I do judging by his Omega watches.....

What for England?

What for England?
    Might be - it was a guess! he's offline......so he must be doing something sporting with all those watches!

:) :)

Much nicer Apollo XI IMO
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/omega...edition.10577/

But I think I will keep limited editions and vintages to anotherday. Will keep my eye out for relatively new 3570.50's and 3573.50's
    Thanks again for all your opinions so far guys. Much appreciated.

Mine has a Tachy but it's faded to a grey/silver colour over the years as it's the original bezel. I wasn't sure if I'd like it but having had it for a few weeks now it's such a unique looking watch I wouldn't dream of changing it for a new one.
    I quite like the look of a faded bezel though.. but can't stand the faded lume...

What for England?
    Maybe not...since his location is given as NI.

Might be - it was a guess! he's offline......so he must be doing something sporting with all those watches!
    Be may now be back, but not too happy...Ireland lost. But it was a good game and, at the start of the second half, I thought that England had done enough to lose it.

I quite like the look of a faded bezel though.. but can't stand the faded lume...
    Not keen on a badly (if that's not the wrong word) faded bezel. I quite like the look of faded Tritium lume but, as mimicked by Eddie's PRS-82...what I don't like is that it can longer do its job properly.

Grand Master
    As for the Alaska project, I feel your yearning, when I joined a new company in 2011 SWC were selling one at £3k, I had the cash but procrastinated and it sold. The white face is nice and it stands out from the Speedie crowd
    There is probably no need - Speedy fanatics are often under the impression that every other male out there is wearing one, but 99% of the Speedmasters I've seen since I first came across them, in about 2006, have been in a shop window!

The white one is interesting and different, though - and the white of the dial is *very* white.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    There is probably no need - Speedy fanatics are often under the impression that every other male out there is wearing one, but 99% of the Speedmasters I've seen since I first came across them, in about 2006, have been in a shop window!

The white one is interesting and different, though - and the white of the dial is *very* white.
    The Alaska is a sharp white white whereas the 3569 is a beautiful slightly cream white
    RIAC

Much nicer Apollo XI IMO
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/omega...edition.10577/

But I think I will keep limited editions and vintages to anotherday. Will keep my eye out for relatively new 3570.50's and 3573.50's
    Thanks again for all your opinions so far guys. Much appreciated.
    That's a different Apollo 11! In fact I liked the one on ebay so much I just bought it.....500 quid off!
    Happy bunny!

...I liked the one on ebay so much I just bought it.....500 quid off!
    Happy bunny!
    Which one...this one is still live: link? But it does show an offer as pending.

Which one...this one is still live: link? But it does show an offer as pending.
    Not now it's not! Offer accepted.....was going to buy the one Neil Wood has on Chronomaster but this looked so much better!

Goodness - 2 incoming after a long drought.....

Congratulations on the purchase of that speedy. It did look very nice. Do share a photo or two here when it arrives?

Not now it's not! Offer accepted
    Congratulations, condition looks excellent and great price for a limited model!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post

This is true, there is one watch collector in the office where I work but they aren't hardcore about it, just have the money to spare! We did have a chap for a while that owned a Speedmaster but it was an automatic date.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    The Alaska is a sharp white white whereas the 3569 is a beautiful slightly cream white
    I'd really like to see an Alaska project in real life, I suspected the colour would be a bright white, however although very different it was part of the reason I held off, my thinking was does this deviate too far from an already superb, classic and iconic watch, would I still hanker after an original?

Yes well done if I thought 2k would have got it I may well have put a bid in. Look forward to your pics.

Congratulations on the purchase of that speedy. It did look very nice. Do share a photo or two here when it arrives?
    Will do.......it has taken nearly a year to find the one I wanted in the condition I wanted!

Should be here Wednesday. A hint for ebay - first know your seller - I have communicated a lot about other watches,
    and always try an offer if possible.IMHO

Bluewater - as mentioned Chronomaster have one without fancy paperwork and blank guarantee card - it has model no and watch no. you
    might use that as a benchmark.

My first speedy in 1969 cost 50 quid in Nigeria - sold to Austin Kaye for 50 quid a few years later....time flies!
    Last edited by Kakadu; 23rd February 2014 at 12:10. Reason: tears for years

sold to Austin Kaye
    Judging by the sticker on the box this one might have come via SWC and they aren't that cheap so good deal.

Judging by the sticker on the box this one might have come via SWC and they aren't that cheap so good deal.
    Do you mean the round thing - looks like a crown....can't read text......top left in the picture on the
    white outer box?

Do you mean the round thing - looks like a crown....can't read text......top left in the picture on the
    white outer box?
    I think he does:

Nice watch by the way...enjoy!

It was purchased from watches.co.uk by the previous owner last September and the ebay seller acquired it recently as a trade. Originally sold by Harrods in 1970 or at least that's what I was told