closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What Brogues are you wearing then? These anyone?

Blog Entries
    For me my Loake Chester's 'F' fit needed to be 8.5 but Grenson Fred's with 'G' fit 8 is plenty big enough.

Paul

This looks like a great deal

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/natio...es-10/31659407

Anyone tried Samuel Windsor shoes?

I had some DM's bought for me last spring and I'm still wearing them in , great in the cold weather with the chunky sole and lighter in colour than the picture :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GMT2 View Post

Samuel Windsor are not great quality, just your average high street stuff. They seem cheap but that's all they are worth.

Quote Originally Posted by K80 View Post
    Samuel Windsor are not great quality, just your average high street stuff. They seem cheap but that's all they are worth.
    Couldn't agree more. Edward Green or Church's for me

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GMT2 View Post

I ordered some Chelsea boots some years ago and the quality was shocking. Spent my money on Loakes which are still going strong.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Eamonn345 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Edward Green or Church's for me
    I saw the Samuel Windsor flyer in the Sunday Times yesterday....I think they're going for a different market from Churches, Loake etc, what with their offer of two pairs for £60!!

O'Keeffe

Picked up some O'Keeffe brogues in the Mr Porter sale - 50% off. Don't really know anything about the brand beyond them being hand made in Italy but very pleased with them - very fine soft calf leather, sleek profile, immediately comfortable and chunky commando soles that I wanted for this wet weather. They're already getting a really nice worn in look with fine creases (that I understand is a sign of quality calf leather).

Craftsman
    Those O'Keefe boots look superb. May I ask was was the reduced price in the Mr Porter sale?

£247 including delivery. I was a little nervous about buying a brand which doesn't make in the UK but needn't have been - solid Goodyear welt, really good quality calf leather plus an elegant sleek last.

Quote Originally Posted by shottab View Post
    Those O'Keefe boots look superb. May I ask was was the reduced price in the Mr Porter sale?

Craftsman
    That's a very good price for a stunning looking pair of boots!!!

john white and crockett and jones

bowie

Sanders

Don't know if anyone is familiar with the English brand Sanders - I believe they used to have the contract for making the British army boots?

Here are some Sanders red/brown solid brogues with brick red rubber soles - just gave them a lick of Renapur leather balsam which has brought them up nicely, great in the wet weather

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post

bowie
    My missus would have a hissy fit if I put my shoes on the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post

bowie
    Get some decent shoe trees in those bad boys!

Craftsman

Cool Just grabbed some new paira!

On clearance and luckily in size to fit my fat feet!

Craftsman
    Those Chelsea boots are nice. Where from ?

Master
    I definately blame this forum.My interest got going when someone talked about quality of vintage Floesheim Imperial brogues.After few false starts with sizing,which luckily fit my son ,now bought several pairs.I get these from USA via e-bay ,not everyone would be comfortable with used shoes but after watch experience dos'nt bother me.The quality is superb,much better than brogues bought new for £230 and the Florsheims cost only £30-50 !!!,but postage and import fees add to expense but still a real bargain and lovely to wear.
    So far have one pair of Florsheim another of Hanover and looking at some Hanover Cordovan Oxfords at present.Will post pics later.

Last edited by Dr.f; 19th January 2014 at 12:51.

Craftsman
    I have shoes like some of you have watches. It's a thing of mine. I must have 100 pairs, all in their boxes, with trees, and the original receipt in the box. I definitely have a shoe problem.

By far my favourite shoes are my vintage Shanghais from Church's. They're so comfortable. I've got the leather brogue, the burnished suede brogue and the oxfords. They're artifically aged and have a thick, hard, 'rubber' sole. They're all discontinued now, although if I see any NOS I'll just buy them. The current range of Shanghai's don't do it for me, there are a lot of aprons and look a bit like golf shoes. I'm currently wearing a pair.

The leather brogues and the suede lancasters are shown here:

There's absolutely zero chance of finding these NOS now, which is very annoying although they're probably too pricey for me nowadays.

I'm pretty impressed with the Church's Lamport. I have the capped Oxfords rather than brogues. There's a full brogue in that last but I don't like it so much, it looks a bit pointy for my taste. The crossover between Prada and Church's is becoming more noticeable IMO, and some of the more exclusive lines are actually Italian rather than from Northampton. This doesn't bother me, and the cross contamination is more noticeable on the Prada branded shoe than the Church's shoe.

For 'cheaper' brogues I think it's hard to beat the Barrington 2's from Crockett and Jones. I think they're about £450 or so but come without shoe trees. They're really great straight from the box, I'm very impressed with the hand grade shoes from Crockett's. Also, the ankle boots were worn by Bond in Skyfall, although that model is long gone I believe.

I've got/had other shoes from places like Loakes (rubbish, IMO), Grenson (pretty decent), Paul Smith (unremittingly bad), Sweeneys (older styles were great, since the buyout a bit less so), Hugo Boss (terrible) and Prada (actually really good across the range). I've also got a pair of Lobb's which were silly money. I've got a few pairs from Mr Hare, I think these are OK but my general opinion is that they are more a fashion shoe rather than a 'proper' shoe and I probably won't be going back for more.

Trainers - I have many.

For 'cheaper' shoes I like what Charles Tyrwhitt do. They took a bit of breaking in but now they're really good and for £150 or so are very good value.

Cheers

Paul 'Imelda' Stomach

Good grief - that's impressive. The vintage Church's are beautiful, and as an aside Charles Tyrwhitt shoes are all made by Loake.

Where do you keep your 100 boxed pairs of shoes, by the way? Photo please

Craftsman
    The boots in skyfall , the Tetbury, are still part of the range .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Good grief - that's impressive. The vintage Church's are beautiful, and as an aside Charles Tyrwhitt shoes are all made by Loake.

Where do you keep your 100 boxed pairs of shoes, by the way? Photo please
    I'm away at the mo so no pics, they're in wardrobes, on top of wardrobes, piled on the floor, everywhere. Mrs Stomach has given up complaining.

Interesting that Loakes make the Tyrwhitt shoes I didn't know that, I may have to re-evaluate Loakes in that case. I'd love to be wrong on my previous view tbh as Crocketts and Church's are expensive although realistically I don't actually need any new shoes. Potentially I may never need another pair, I'm 42 now and a good pair lasts 10-20 years when rotated and cared for properly.

I think the CT shoes are very good, and have the 6 month no quibble guarantee as well which is very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    I definately blame this forum.My interest got going when someone talked about quality of vintage Floesheim Imperial brogues.After few false starts with sizing,which luckily fit my son ,now bought several pairs.I get these from USA via e-bay ,not everyone would be comfortable with used shoes but after watch experience dos'nt bother me.The quality is superb,much better than brogues bought new for £230 and the Florsheims cost only £30-50 !!!,but postage and import fees add to expense but still a real bargain and lovely to wear.
    So far have one pair of Florsheim another of Hanover and looking at some Hanover Cordovan Oxfords at present.Will post pics later.

I have the same Hanover Sheppards. They stopped making them over 40 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    My missus would have a hissy fit if I put my shoes on the bed.

I always wash the soles before I put them away so no dog shit on

- - - Updated - - -

Get some decent shoe trees in those bad boys!

good idea

Wrist shot...

Commando soles….not good with a gravel driveway.

Master
    Had a pair of these arrive last week:

http://www.grenson.co.uk/en_gb/fred-1991

Better sole for walking in autumn/winter. Really liking them so far.

Going to check out the vintage Church's - they look ACE :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    Commando soles….not good with a gravel driveway.
    And imagine trying to extract dog dirt from Commando soles

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    And imagine trying to extract dog dirt from Commando soles
    I saw that one on The Royal,Family :-(

Got brogue disease too. Couldn't decide about colour and ordered two - Barker Grassington in Cedar grain and Loake Badminton.

Badmintons are going back, because of they are a bit wide.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Got brogue disease too. Couldn't decide about colour and ordered two - Barker Grassington in Cedar grain and Loake Badminton.

Badmintons are going back, because of they are a bit wide.
    Shame, I think they are a better colour

OK, my joy lasted exactly one day..

I noticed that shoes rock back to front. It was not very noticeable on a carpet, but more on hardwood floor. I took them off and to my surprise heel was not level on floor, it had ~3-4 mm gap at the back of shoe. If I press heel to floor, front lifts up ~8mm.

heel

front, when heel is pressed flat.

What do you say? Is it normal or should I return them?

I noticed that shoes rock back to front. It was not very noticeable on a carpet, but more on hardwood floor. I took them off and to my surprise heel was not level on floor, it had ~3-4 mm gap at the back of shoe. If I press heel to floor, front lifts up ~8mm.

My cheap and cheerful M&S work shoes do that..about 3-4mm at the front when heel pressed hard....my Charles Tyrwhitt brogues most certainly don't.

Master
    Tricker's Stow Espresso on Dainite and C & J Harry (The Skyfall Islay boot but on a wider last). As superb as the Tricker's are, I prefer the C&Js so Tricker's are up for sale on SC at the moment (apologies for the shameful plug).

Blog Entries
    Chester's getting a well deserved outing to Bury St Eds this weekend.

Comfy as heck and the colour is just so right.

Paul

Last edited by Pitch3110; 25th January 2014 at 17:05.

^^^ Fantastic colour. I bought some Cheaneys a couple of years ago in that shade and I love them.

Craftsman
    Church's, all the way. Half a dozen pairs, one brown pair, the rest black. As said before, will last 20 years if rotated properly.
    Never been able to wear their Monk though and have tried other makes as well - they crease badly across the instep. have others had this problem?

No, it's fairly normal. They'll settle.

Blog Entries
    ^^^ Fantastic colour. I bought some Cheaneys a couple of years ago in that shade and I love them.
    Cheers Tony.

Fortunately we didn't have to fight over the wedding Aniversary weekend footwear unlike watches. I wanted the 16570 Mrs P did also, so I ended up with the IWC Mark XVII (resting the 14060). Please be assured I am wearing the trousers though. 👍😏

Ta
    Paul

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by plw View Post
    Church's, all the way. Half a dozen pairs, one brown pair, the rest black. As said before, will last 20 years if rotated properly.
    Never been able to wear their Monk though and have tried other makes as well - they crease badly across the instep. have others had this problem?
    I haven't been able to wear monks (either single or the oh so fashionable double) for long enough to find out! For some reason, regardless of the make or price, they are always too tight across the top of my foot.

The sales guy at Lobb thought this was weird, but I think he was trying to get me to buy some bespoke double monks. I daren't even think how expensive that would be as their off the peg shoes are pretty steep.

Mrs Stomach just got a pair of Grenson's Rose style brogues, they look really nice. I may need to investigate Grenson.

Craftsman
    The guy at Church's in Jermyn Street reckons it's fairly common if you have a high instep. True or BS I know not...

Quite interested in a pair of the Loake's.
    What is the fit like, do they run a little large (thinking of ordering a pair of the Chester brogues)?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Quite interested in a pair of the Loake's.
    What is the fit like, do they run a little large (thinking of ordering a pair of the Chester brogues)?
    I think I made reference earlier in the thread but to assist.

I am generally an 8 which in G Fitting Grensons (my Fred C boots) is fine. But the Chester's are F so therefore a narrower fit and I had to size up to 8.5. The 8's nipped across my feet and 9's were huge.

Funny enough Debenhams stock them and they do quite often offer online saving codes where a nice little saving can be had. Top Cashback can save another 5%.

Mine worked out under £150 I recall

You will not be disappointed, as the colour is great.

Paul

Master
    Out last night in my new Barbour brogues with a commando sole. And on the second time of wearing I have had the real pleasure of cleaning dog sh*t out of them. Aaargh.
    Going to buy a pair with dainite soles today for night wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Out last night in my new Barbour brogues with a commando sole. And on the second time of wearing I have had the real pleasure of cleaning dog sh*t out of them. Aaargh.
    Going to buy a pair with dainite soles today for night wear.
    Is that the Ilkley? When I first wore mine they weighed a ton but I'm getting used to them now. Very comfortable though.

Rod

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Is that the Ilkley? When I first wore mine they weighed a ton but I'm getting used to them now. Very comfortable though.

Rod
    It is. Picked them up in Windsor for just over £100 in a sale. The weight is a surprise, but they are certainly comfortable to wear - have just been out in them.

Have just bought another pair of brogues (my second) off the Herring website this morning (with thanks to whoever pointed me in that direction much earlier in the thread).

Master
    Does anyone here put a rubber sole on their new brogues? I usually do it so I don't have to rebuild the entire sole and I get some better grip when walking to and from work.

I wouldn't advise it. When the rubber wears through what do you do then? Better to have leather for dry and man-made for wet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    I wouldn't advise it. When the rubber wears through what do you do then? Better to have leather for dry and man-made for wet.
    Replace the rubber top sole when it starts wearing through. I've not had a problem yet and don't want to think about changing shoes throughout the day.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    Does anyone here put a rubber sole on their new brogues? I usually do it so I don't have to rebuild the entire sole and I get some better grip when walking to and from work.
    If I wanted a rubber sole I'd buy a dainite one, not leather .