closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heads up! Cheap Apple TV

Heads up! Cheap Apple TV

Groupon are doing Apple TV (current gen) for £75 today. With Quidco you get another 4% cashback so effectively £72 for a £99 machine. People seem to love it so I've bought one!

Normally hate Groupon but today it seems to have come good for once!

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/natio...ct-21/29676293

Bought one off them last week ,great deal .

Thanks.

Master
    Been looking at these after recently getting an airport express. I think they are £76 on Amazon.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ive been screwed by p&p on groupon before. is this free p&p?

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Ive been screwed by p&p on groupon before. is this free p&p?
    Yes - click the link - it says in the headline it comes with free delivery.

Honestly get one. They're the most underrated bit of kit Apple make. Not only can you stream movies and such like from the web but send pictures, videos and other things from your iPad and iPhone. The best bit is I've a dock with Airplay and using Apple TV I can connect to my iMac with my iPad, choose from one of the 22,000 songs on it and then stream it to the dock. The Apple TV makes Airplay work, hence the missing link.

Brilliant, brilliant bit of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by bobfrog View Post
    Honestly get one. They're the most underrated bit of kit Apple make. Not only can you stream movies and such like from the web but send pictures, videos and other things from your iPad and iPhone. The best bit is I've a dock with Airplay and using Apple TV I can connect to my iMac with my iPad, choose from one of the 22,000 songs on it and then stream it to the dock. The Apple TV makes Airplay work, hence the missing link.

You make it sound so easy !! I have purchased one and no idea what to do with it ...lol . I must be getting old .

And just for balance....I had one, I'm an Apple fan and use tech but it was the shonkiest bit of Apple kit I've had since the very first iMac.

Make sure you have wired Ethernet or at least a very good wifi set up or you might be in for a disappointment. Mine went back after a few days.

Google (Apple TV slow buffering problem) etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Max... View Post
    And just for balance....I had one, I'm an Apple fan and use tech but it was the shonkiest bit of Apple kit I've had since the very first iMac.

Make sure you have wired Ethernet or at least a very good wifi set up or you might be in for a disappointment. Mine went back after a few days.

Fair point - mine's plugged straight into the router and we have decent WiFi (6Mb) so it works fine. They aren't easy to set up but once they work, they are great IMHO. However there are other products, I just like it as I've got all Apple kit.

I'm not sure that qualifies it as 'shonky'!

We have two in my house, both connected only wirelessly and they perform impeccably. Used mainly for Netflix and streaming content from my iTunes library. Even HD content from Netflix streams without interruption and with little or no initial buffering.

We do get a very good and fast wireless service though, so I see your point about checking this first.

Fair points chaps, I may try one again if I can get a better wifi running.

Re' buying Apple stuff this week, I'd be inclined to hang on a few days as it's 'black Friday' this week and although more of a US thing it should mean an Apple UK sale this Friday and maybe better deals from rival UK Apple stockists.

FWIW I always buy Apple stuff from John Lewis for the service and long warranty but most importantly no quibble and free returns (see above!).
    Last edited by Max...; 24th November 2013 at 21:41.

What IVK said - 2 in the house and no problems with WiFi for any content Netflix HD included. Its a Victorian house with AP on 3rd floor and ATVs on ground floor. AP is Airport Extreme so this may help - I've read that they blow a stonking 802.11n signal. There are over a dozen wireless networks I can pick up from my clients but I don't seem to get any interference issues using the Airport.

The best bit is I've a dock with Airplay and using Apple TV I can connect to my iMac with my iPad, choose from one of the 22,000 songs on it and then stream it to the dock. The Apple TV makes Airplay work, hence the missing link.
    OK I've read this a hundred times, and asked a friend who knows about this stuff what this means. Neither of us understand. Can you explain please?!

A god send if you are living abroad also! Can't live without mine.

So my internet is supposedly 100mb and get about 1-2mb/s download speeds.

That sufficient to use Apple TV effectively without an Ethernet connection?

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    So my internet is supposedly 100mb and get about 1-2mb/s download speeds.

That sufficient to use Apple TV effectively without an Ethernet connection?
    1-2 mb sec is very slow in modern terms. I would not be too hopeful TBH.

Banned
    Our Apple TV2 is still going strong, it's jailbroken with xbmc, the 1channel addon gives you all the tv you'll even need.

Stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway. I live abroad and have a VPN for my Ipad and MacBook to stream some content thats otherwise not available. If I plug an Apple TV into my TV and use the iPad when its on the VPN I assume the Apple TV only sees the VPN network and thus thinks I'm in the UK?

If so, could I then plug my Sky box into the Apple TV and be able to get Sky box office films etc (i.e. the Apple TV sees a UK network so the sky box also does?)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Our Apple TV2 is still going strong, it's jailbroken with xbmc, the 1channel addon gives you all the tv you'll even need.
    I have the same (also with icefilms and a good few other addons) - I have found it to be a cracking bit of kit and totally reliable. There's more content than you could get through in a lifetime though.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by donny View Post
    I have the same (also with icefilms and a good few other addons) - I have found it to be a cracking bit of kit and totally reliable. There's more content than you could get through in a lifetime though.
    Thanks for that. Would either of you care to sum up the top 5 or so xbmc apps. I'm investigating xbmc as a cheap, always-on, media system based on a Rasberry PI and find it both time-consuming and distracting to install loads of addons with no clear idea of what they deliver.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    1-2 mb sec is very slow in modern terms. I would not be too hopeful TBH.
    I was just getting ready to buy one of these but I've just completed a broadband speed test and I'm getting pathetic 1.67mb/s download and only 0.75mb/s upload.
    I guess there's no point in buying an Apple TV until BT get their finger out

Here's what Apple say about the subject............

Broadband Internet connection

For the best viewing experience when renting or purchasing iTunes content on Apple TV, you need a broadband Internet connection. A sustained 8 Mbit/s or faster Internet connection is recommended for viewing 1080p high-definition movies and TV shows, 6 Mbit/s or faster is recommended for viewing 720p content, and 2.5 Mbit/s or faster for standard-definition content. Internet connection speeds may vary depending on your ISP and other factors.
    If you are not sure what your Internet speed is, you can ask your ISP, or use an online bandwidth test from a computer that is located on the same network as your Apple TV.

Tell BT to stuff it - I've just done that after 30 odd years and should have done it years ago. I was getting 2-3 mbits and should have been at least double, their tech support was useless.

I've had Sky (tv) for years so finally switched the broadband last weekend as the current pricing compared to BT is silly cheap. Wow is all I can say, unlimited standard BB (no premium fast/optical/hi-spec service or anything fancy) at £3.75 month on offer at present, brand new router etc - advertised at around 5 -6mbs expected (although as we all know in practise it's usually less) but I've been testing on the laptop and iPad each day (they gradually increase the speed as time goes on during the first few weeks).

Started out on changeover day a week ago at 3.5, then 6, a few days ago 8 and last night and today it's hitting over 11 mbs. Wahey!

Master
    Tell BT to stuff it - I've just done that after 30 odd years and should have done it years ago. I was getting 2-3 mbits and should have been at least double, their tech support was useless.
    I live in a fairly rural area and, as far as I know, my BB will be restricted to snail speed as the local exchange is still powered by steam. Won't this be the same for other providers, or do they transmit through the Sky dish or other?

I don't have Sky BTW although I do have a dish and an old Sky box installed (never used).

It all comes down the phone line regardless, I'm rural too TBH.

Blog Entries

Sent it back

Great concept and would have been a great alternative to multi room...

However, I got a lesson in not doing my research properly and found out the the thieving sky corp won't allow sky go to host onto any device via HDMI...

So, the principle reason for purchasing it disappeared.. Would have been great otherwise