closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New arrival, only 1letter out from my grail...

Master

New arrival, only 1letter out from my grail...

All,

I had a recent thread where i pondered the wisdom of selling 3 or more of my watches & 'trading up' (much debated here!) to a PP Nautilus. Well that discussion got me thinking & was quickly followed by a hunt for a flat by the sea that quickly escalated to the point that the extra funds i would have required began to stretch even my flexi man maths.

So after more thought, the sale of my JLC Navy Seals & GO SE GMT, the latter of which i am definitely missing more, i had an amount of cash which didn't get me to a PP.I then developed an infatuation with a Blowers sale offering that was only one letter away, being this AP RO Day Date (26330), so after about a 100 visits to the site pondering, it finally got bought.

I've tried to take a few decent pics, but my skills will never flatter it as much as it deserves.

Initial thoughts are that it is definitely a step up in quality from what i've had before, the level of detail in the dial & the finish is superb. The varied amount of brushed & polished surfaces is a sight to behold & works so well, although i can see it's scratch potential. From previous write ups i expected it to sit very high but the whole thing feels positively dainty (imho) whilst solid at the same time. Am very impressed...

So i've sacrificed some diversity , but feel with these remaining :

& my Sinn UXS, Azimuth Bombardier + beaters, i'm in not bad shape.

Alex
    Last edited by luckyal; 21st June 2013 at 23:28.

Craftsman
    Lovely!

Journeyman
    stunning trio. nicely done!

Craftsman
    Hi Alex

Are you still happy with the watch?

What is your experience after wearing it for some months?

HAGWE

Master
    Fred,

Absolutely loving it. It impresses me more as time goes on, the quality feel, solid well engineered bracelet & imho transfixing dial. I've recently had an opportunity to try a Nautilus on & tbh it was a bit of a disappointment by comparison.

Only itch is that i keep looking & seeing nearly £10k on my wrist & think to myself i could sell & get a couple of nice watches & put £5k back in the bank too, but you only live once & as i don't have to go down the more sensible route yet, then i won't!

If you're toying with the idea, i'd try one & you won't be disappointed i'm sure.

Alex

Craftsman
    Hi Alex

Thanks for the response.

I find the day date model more interesting than the standard Royal Oak.

How sensitive is the watch to scratches? I hear scratches and dings show up very easy on the fine brushed case and edges of the AP Royal Oak models.

How large does it wear compared to a Rolex Sub (the old 16610)?

Thanks

Wonderful AP. I've always fancied one, but haven't come across the right Royal Oak at the right price yet.

Lovely; I had no desire for an AP until very randomly I tried on a ROO; next thing I know the Daytona is gone an it's on! Fantastic design and a lot of presence on the wrist without being too showy.

However, I am also acutely aware that I consider my ROO the deposit for my Nautilis 5980 one day. Surprised to hear you were disappointed in it..? What let it down?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by feilersen View Post
    Hi Alex

Thanks for the response.

I find the day date model more interesting than the standard Royal Oak.

How sensitive is the watch to scratches? I hear scratches and dings show up very easy on the fine brushed case and edges of the AP Royal Oak models.

How large does it wear compared to a Rolex Sub (the old 16610)?

Thanks
    Fred,

I am a clumsy so & so who has picked up a ding or two in my time & this watch has an abundance of brushed surfaces, however i am yet to pick up a single one! Maybe i'm being extra careful because i am aware of it's reputation but thus far it isn't proving as delicate as i thought.

I've not had a 16610 so cannot comment but would say the AP seems to hit a sweet spot for me with my 7.75 inch wrists. I've had 34mm Rolexes that are too dainty, 47mm pilots that are frankly too big & a number of 42-44mm Panerais or GOs that feel "ok" but always conscious of the fact they are hefty. The AP seems to sit right in the middle & be a near perfect size, with a height that i had heard was on the high side but doesn't feel that way to me at all.

I really liked the DD too, as much as i like the standard plainer dial, the DD jumped out at me.

DB9 - a misunderstanding, not dissapointed at all, i love it, classic design, lots of presence but goes under the radar for 99.9% of most people. I inhabit a world where the majority seem to be Rolex wearers & most haven't a clue what it is, whereas a lot of non WIS colleagues who know my proclivities have remarked on it being their favourite of the ones they have seen on my wrist.

Alex