closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC Chronograph, 1974

CWC Chronograph, 1974

Haven't had one of these for a while, but this one came along the other day - I'd quite forgotten how lovely they are.

Best wishes,
    Martyn.

RAF Chrono

Yes, quite lovely. I have a CWC just like it, and I'm currently searching for the Hamilton.

Thanks for posting your pics.

Myron

Edit: Got my Hamilton!

And next to its direct descendant... quite the difference in size.

Best,

Myron
    Last edited by Myron; 6th August 2013 at 22:50.

Very nice. By coincidence I'm wearing mine today, also 1974 and numbered only 2 away from yours (although it is a 6 BB).

Very nice.

Journeyman
    Beautiful watch, thanks for posting these pics. I love the aged lume!
    A grail watch for me, one day..........

Marcus.

One more : 0552 / 1974

Beautiful!

Excellent. I love the classic CWC chrono it's such an effective design. I have the re-issued modern version. Despite having a collection of watches, I only wear about four of them on rotation, one of which is the CWC.

Craftsman
    They are lovely, and would be a birth year watch for me!

Enjoy!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fotopetar View Post
    Beautiful!
    +1

Some people think of a precious metal Phillipe Patek dress watch or something analogous as a beautiful timepiece. I admire PPs and many other similiar premium and prestigious watches I've seen or seen pictures of, but don't want any of them. For myself for whatever reason, or set of them, it's watches like your CWC that I see real horological beauty in. Looks absolutely great and Pepere13's as well.

BTW, my own idea of what would be a perfect dress/office/everyday watch would be one of these with a nicely patterned matt "cognac" (aka "peanut brittle") color genuine alligator strap. Expensive, but somebody here at TZ-UK once showed his PRS-5 on a strap like that and I thought it just right. The premium strap is a lot less expensive than paying for Patek class prestige, not to mention that I think your CWC will only increase in value over the years if well cared for --- even if you wear it often

it is a lovely watch, the dial feels really balanced. t.

Here's my 72 RN Hamilton with an MOD sterile dial - apologies for crappy pic

Last edited by lewismark; 1st August 2013 at 16:24.

Apprentice

NEW CWC Remake Chrono - How is the water resistance?

I have often debated buying the CWC 1970s remake but am unsure on the water resistance (being a perspex crystal) and with me living in Spain and spending a lot of time in other hot climates too which mean a lot of swimming I would like to hear from other members regarding the general performance for swimming etc. I certainly like the style and classic appearance but am not keen to risk it if the water resistance is not good for day to day use.

Quote Originally Posted by lewismark View Post
    Here's my 72 RN Hamilton with an MOD sterile dial - apologies for crappy pic

Swimming….

Others may differ, but in general I wouldn't dream of swimming in a push-button chronograph, even a modern one, and absolutely not in a vintage one with lovely aged lume etc.

It pains me to say it, but I usually take a more 'robust' watch on holiday, such as Seiko mil-style (SGD449 etc) or if I want an older watch it has to be a pressure tested Rolex of some description.

This summer it was a very nice old Tag 1500 on a worn black canvas strap - small, light, comfortable and bulletproof. Now sadly pinched by my daughter and sporting a pink paracord strap!

Regards,
    Martyn.

I had a Gen 2 Seiko that spent as much time in the water as out. I know the current owner and it is still going stong.
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by johnty4 View Post
    I have often debated buying the CWC 1970s remake but am unsure on the water resistance (being a perspex crystal) and with me living in Spain and spending a lot of time in other hot climates too which mean a lot of swimming I would like to hear from other members regarding the general performance for swimming etc. I certainly like the style and classic appearance but am not keen to risk it if the water resistance is not good for day to day use.
    I have the watch but sadly can't comment on performance as I've never got it wet. It might be OK near the surface of the water but I've never risked it.

The reissue is just stunning; too look at, wind and wear. For me, that big crown is the most perfectly realised component in horology.

I'd seen it a few times in Silvermans and baulked at the price compared to a PRS-5 but I had promised myself that next time i would stump up. Then one came up on the sales corner

For my money it belongs on a non-waterproof Jurgen strap and nothing else. You can buy a Casio F91-W for under 10 euros, swim with that.
    Last edited by raysablade; 27th September 2013 at 00:29.

Wouldn't dare take a chrono anywhere near water, I don't even swim with my divers watches either come to think of it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by martynw View Post
    Others may differ, but in general I wouldn't dream of swimming in a push-button chronograph, even a modern one, and absolutely not in a vintage one ...........

Regards,
    Martyn.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    I have the watch .................. It might be OK near the surface of the water but I've never risked it.
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    The reissue is just stunning; too look at, wind and wear .....................

For my money it belongs on a non-waterproof Jurgen strap and nothing else. You can buy a Casio F91-W for under 10 euros, swim with that.

Beautiful watch. Now that the PRS-5 is gone, it’s the only good recreation of the vintage MOD twin pusher military chronos I personally am aware of. I think the CWC 70s Remake's caseback is marked 3ATM "Water Protected" which I haven't myself seen elsewhere, but even if that is directly analogous to 3ATM "Water Resistant", I don't think it is intended for any kind of submersion.

BTW, these CWCs have military specification “armoured” steel tension ring secured acrylic crystals ("plexiglass" is a well known proprietary name for acrylic), and I don't believe that would be what limits this watch's WR. I think the limiting factor with these would be the pushers, and to a lesser extent the crown, especially if these CWC 70s Remakes retain the original vintage style one gasket per pusher and a single larger gasket for the crown.

I once had the privilege of talking with one of the head engineers or technicians at Citizen USA over a decade ago about the vulnerability of chrono pushers as to one of their ana-digi flight chronos of the time, and he said they had heavily tested pushers and push/pull crowns in general and found the greatest vulnerability pushers had was from steam. He added that the crowns did relatively OK with steam because their single gasket was large, robust, and sealed the watch against water and steam much better than the single smaller gasket of the pushers.

IIRC after all this time, the same engineer/tech said I'd be fine if I just didn't take it in a steam room, sauna, hot bath, or shower, or blast it with a car wash steam gun; avoided allowing soap (or other chemicals for that matter) to get to the gasketing of pushers or crown; did not use pusher nor crown while wet or submerged; and didn't try to make a dive watch of it.

For myself, I think the CWC would make a great everyday watch, but I would still follow the experience based advice the three other posters relayed above in response

I had one a few years ago... with a nice golden dial...