closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Aluminium or Carbon bike?

Aluminium or Carbon bike?

Morning guys,
    Knowing there are many cycling addicts on here, I'm hoping for some advice.
    I have a £1k 'Cycle to Work' voucher burning a hole in my pocket and went into my local LBS on Saturday. He started off recommending the well reviewed Giant Defy 1 but then when I suggested adding a bit on top of the voucher he recommended moving 'up' to the carbon Giant Defy Composite 3 (£1250), or even the carbon Wilier izoard XP (£1499). Whilst I love the look of the carbon machines, especially that Wilier, is it better to get what is a relatively top of the range aluminium bike (Defy 1) or pay more for a presumably bottom of the range carbon bike?
    Any advice would be gratefully received!
    Cheers.

I'd go Carbon. At those prices it's not going to be low end spec, and when running gear eventually wears out you can upgrade components.

Hi there.

I'm relatively new into cycling after getting my first bike (a Boardman) through the Cycle to Work scheme last year. I'm in the process of having my local bike shop building another for me at the moment - it's a slippery slope.

Anyway, if you're new to it (as I was), I'd say don't worry too much about whether to go carbon / aluminium. Until you've got your fitness up and some miles in your legs, you're unlikely to notice much difference. I'd go for the bike that gives to the best quality components and lightest wheels. I quickly changed the wheels that came with mine and really noticed the difference.

Cheers

Personally I find Carbon more comfortable to ride and I agree with ^^^^ that you should get a reasonable Carbon frame at that price. Try and look for last years model (if they're any left) and Try before you Buy if at all possible.

A

Journeyman
    For looks I would go with the Willier but for build I would go with Giant.
    Can't remember the exact statistics but the majority of bike frames are built by either Merida or Giant regardless of the name stamped on it.

Master
    I prefer Aluminium, and would spend the rest on a good saddle, wheels and groupset (assuming it's a decent frame).

Geometry and construction will have more impact on comfort / performance etc than frame material. Each material can be built into something super stiff, comfortable, etc etc. Carbon tends to be lighter, but not necessarily. Aluminium has a reputation of being stiff and unforgiving, but that's not necessarily always the case.

The key thing with a road bike is fit, so spend some time on the bikes and see how they feel. Are you balanced on the bike? Too stretched out? Too upright? Too much weight on your hands etc etc.

Then buy the one you like the look of.

Banned
    Depends a bit on your build and what type of riding you will be doing. carbon is a little more comfortable over long distances; aluminium a bit more responsive (broadly speaking. these will be subject to geometry and construction and set up as well, of course.)

Personally, I don't think there's much in it and I would get the one that fits best (if you can find a decent shop that has them in to try rather than guys like evans who make it very painful)

Steel. The forgiveness of carbon without the fragility.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Steel. The forgiveness of carbon without the fragility.
    Watch Danny McAskill on a carbon wheeled carbon framed Dogma and tell me carbon is fragile!

nowt wrong with steel but will be hard to find in budget I think as its become a bit of a premium niche thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Watch Danny McAskill on a carbon wheeled carbon framed Dogma and tell me carbon is fragile!

nowt wrong with steel but will be hard to find in budget I think as its become a bit of a premium niche thing.
    Of course it is strong, but rest it against a wall, break the laquer, take a spill, put a dent in it - it is not as durable IME, it can weaken more critically than a metal.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Not answering your question but http://www.bikeradar.com/ is a good place to check reviews once you have some options in mind.

I guess you need to ask how much enthusiasm you'll have for cycling. It can pay dividends to get a good low maintenance aluminium (carbon forks are a good compromise for comfort) bike for everyday and winter use. Then if you are dead keen make a more informed choice if you want to get a good race-day bike in carbon later on.

Of the two materials I prefer carbon. Tried some aluminum frames in the past and found them to be a harsh ride. That was quite a while ago though so maybe today's aluminum frames with carbon forks are better. I've had my Trek carbon frame for 17 years now and still love the ride. Don't discount steel though. At that price point you should be able to get a great bike regardless of the frame material. You really do need to assess what you're going to use the bike for though before making a decision. As much as I love my carbon racing bike it's not well suited for commuting. That's why I also got a steel bike with all the necessary eyelets for adding racks and lighting for commuting to work. Have fun shopping around.

Rick

Master
    I have had carbon, aluminium and steel bikes, and eventually settled on carbon (on which I did the first ever Ironman in this country).
    Having said which being sort of retired from cycling I am now down to 2 bikes, one steel, and the other titanium. If I got serious again, I would go back to carbon.

Craftsman
    Giant Defy 1 is an excellent bike and for someone new to cycling (guessing you are), its everything you will need. You'll soon be looking at clipless pedals and shoes, plus you'll need some decent cycle shorts, helment, etc, so you'll need and extra £150. Don't forget a multi tool, puncture kits, pump......

Go and enjoy the bike, get some miles in your legs, then spend 12 months buying bike magazines and planning your next purchase!

I've got a Cannondale CAAD10 aluminium frame bike. I upgraded the wheels to Mavic Ksyriums after a couple of months and have not looked back. I love it and try and to get out a few times a week and get some good climbs in.

Looking forward to seeing a new member on the Strava TZ-UK cycle club!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by simonoakey View Post
    pump......

Yes - don't forget a track pump, trust me on this, small pumps just do not work other than to get you home.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Of course it is strong, but rest it against a wall, break the laquer, take a spill, put a dent in it - it is not as durable IME, it can weaken more critically than a metal.
    My Carbon mountain bike disagrees with this! The only mtb I've broken was an ali one and were not talking a cheap one here - Turner 5 Spot!

Journeyman
    I've owned / do own road bikes with aluminium, steel and carbon frames. They all have their pluses and minuses (and devotees...) The amount of money you are talking about is a really competitive price point so have a good look around at what you can get. You need to ride a few bikes before deciding, and a good bike shop should fix this up for you, as well as helping with sizing and setting up. Do a bit of internet research on the different groupsets available from Shimano, Campag and Sram so that you know what level of components you are being offered. For around £1k I'd probably look for an aluminium frame/carbon fork with the highest component level I could find within my budget.

BTW, it is the case that carbon does *not* cope well with impact damage - and I speak from experience having written off a Trek Madone full carbon road frame whilst travelling at 5MPH!. The price of a replacement frame was more than the whole bike had cost a couple of years earlier!

Thanks for all the incredibly valuable comments guys; I wish I could say I'd come to a conclusion!

By the way, I'm not totally new to cycling, but this is a massive upgrade from my very old and cheap Specialized. The whole £1k is going on the bike as I don't need the various accessories.

My head tells me that the Defy 1 with Shimano 105 is the best bet, but my heart tells me that the Wilier (with Campag) looks stunning and you don't see them every day (unlike Giant). That alone is worth the extra £££ surely? :-)

This is worse than buying a watch!

Banned
    Buy a 2012 bike and save a bunch of cash. Have a look at Wiggle, winstanley cycles etc (or a page through a cycling mag.)

And take a look at ATB's sales -"graded Wiliers....some great deals there on some ex display bikes!