closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKX007 Strap Options

SKX007 Strap Options

Let's face it the stock Z22 that comes with the SKX 7S26 models is pretty naff. I currently have mine on a grey Nato - does anyone have any suggestions for a decent black rubber replacement? I already have a Super Oyster bracelet, but I reckon the SKX007 really belongs on a rubber strap.

I'm wearing mine on the jubilee it came with. Technically naff it may be, but it looks good and I find it incredibly comfortable. It'll do for me.

SKX007 Strap Options

Mine came on the Seiko standard plastic diving strap. I wear mine on one of Eddie's Natos or Maratac NATO or Zulus.

I have no knowledge of any rubber straps so look forward to suggestions from others.

Apprentice
    I have mine on a Monaco rubber strap from TSS, it looks a little more charcoal grey, but still a good match and a lot more comfortable.

http://www.watchworx.co.uk/pages/lwb/pu.html

I've just bought a Morellato Brenta black silicon strap from the watch band center for one of my MMs, and it's amazing. I reckon it would look great on a 007.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the Z22 is horrible.

Simon

SKX007 Strap Options

Dip in boiling water. Here is mine, cooling down.

Either remove strap or leave it on and just submerge te strap in boiling water. I did the last, easiest to mimmick wrist shape.

I wear my SKX007 on a super oyster. I'd like to try something new on my SKX011 - currently on the standard rubber.

SKX007 Strap Options

I do agree with OP that it looks best on rubber, as it was meant to be... Happen to wear my 6309 now on a real original Seiko flat vent from Seiya. Flat vent is a tad more flexible but I also boiled it. Here shown what it does. Prior to boiling it would always restore to straight position when off the wrist. Curve clearly shows.

Yes, I cut it as well.

Glen I don't think the OP was asking for advice in making the Seiko strap more flexible - he was asking for suggestions for non-Seiko replacements...

Simon

Might be worth considering a Timefactors "Retro". Very soft & flexible, I also have one on my "Tuna".

stay with the nato, maybe another colour for change.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Glen I don't think the OP was asking for advice in making the Seiko strap more flexible - he was asking for suggestions for non-Seiko replacements...

Simon
    Come on guys lets see some more pics of your 007 rubbers ;-)))

Thanks for the info - I may have a go at boiling the Z22 anyway, but I was hoping for something more along the lines of an Omega PO-style OEM rubber. Should I be looking for a 'curved' or 'straight' end for an optimum fit? TIA

Craftsman
    +1 for Eddies retro, not too expensive and much better than anything else in that price range. Bonetto Cinturini straps are also nice.

Isofrane or Isofrane ;)

Master
    I like mine on a bonetto centurini rubber with deploytmant strap...

SKX007 Strap Options

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post

Simon
    Sorry. Misinterpreted naff for stiff. Many people hate the straps for that so thought I should point out an easy fix.

Bonetto's popular as well.

Craftsman
    Not a popular opinion im sure;but in my own experience of the SKX,the only combinations that look any good are the original z22 and WJean Super oyster.Simple.
    I tried loads of differant straps and they all looked awfull. I know there are legions on the forums who will put anything on a Nato a Rhino or a Toshi. Good luck in the search

SKX007 Strap Options

Quote Originally Posted by silver centurian View Post
    Not a popular opinion im sure;but in my own experience of the SKX,the only combinations that look any good are the original z22 and WJean Super oyster.Simple.
    I tried loads of differant straps and they all looked awfull. I know there are legions on the forums who will put anything on a Nato a Rhino or a Toshi. Good luck in the search
    I'm leaning towards this as well. I've got both those and an Isofrane on my 009, but the jury's still out on the latter.

Craftsman
    I had one on a Breitling Rally Silicone rubber strap for a time. Very comfy and looked good imo.

Master
    Super oyster all the way :)

I usually wear mine on a nato, but I might try one of Eddie's Retro rubber straps as posted earlier in this thread.

My old SKX007 on one of Eddie's black nato straps:

My SKX007J on a sand nato;

SKX007 is such a great looking watch it looks superb on various straps but I'm equally unkeen on the OEM strap, very stiff, very uncomfortable.

Some better options IMO :

Isofrane ...

Toshi ...

Nato ...

Digger

Master
    That sand NATO's an original idea: good taste.

To be perfectly honest I find the asymmetric Toshi a bit too original!

Have tried the super oyster but always find myself going back to a NATO
    Here's mine

Rubber deployment, cheap and cheerful and very very comfortable.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by silver centurian View Post
    I very nearly pulled the trigger on a wjean superoyster a few months ago as I have my Atlas on one of his mesh bracelets with the removable links (which is excellent), but at the last minute I put my 007 one of Eddie's black nato's and I absolutely love it!

I'm sure I'll still end up with the wj superoyster at some point though.

I use a WJean or Z22 on most of mine, but have a couple with NATO's on, the beauty of the NATO is that you can change it in about 15 seconds, so colour changes are easy to pull off which gives an instant change of image, and match for your outfit :)

Quick tip, if you're unhappy about boiling your watch, pop the bracelet off and use a paper clip bent into a "U" shape to keep the ends of the strap together (or send it to your favourite watch-guy for a proper waterproofing, Paul ;) ).

Craftsman
    I Know it's been established that this isn't what the original poster was after but the thread inspired me to give the Z22 boiling a try. I've had my SKX007 on various leather and Nato straps; they're good but not right (grey Nato is the best so far).

Anyway, if anyone needs more of a curve than you get from a standard mug, try an espresso cup. It doesn't stay that small, it 'unravels' a bit but stays well curved.

Hope this helps somebody.

Ryan

My favourites on my 007 were:

Seiko Jubilee

Will Jean Super Oyster II (with SEL)

Eddie's Bond Nato

Eddie's black nato

Eddie's Retro Rubber

All have already been suggested, just thought I'd have my two-penneth

David

y'see - paper clips and espresso cups - essential watchmaker tools :)

Craftsman
    The espresso cup is an essential tool for everthing!

Blog Entries
    Retro rubber or super oyster is the only way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    Retro rubber or super oyster is the only way to go.
    Hmmm. I was going to say that I want another strap for my SKX007 and anything but rubber or a bracelet. I'm looking for something made of leather and, based on a search of previous threads, I've narrowed it down to:
    • Hirsch Grand Duke at £37ish
    • Hirsh Liberty at £35ish
    • Hirsch Mariner at £35ish
    • Di-Modell Jumbo at £17ish
    • Bob Buffalo Vertigo Coconut at £20ish
    • Bob Dark Brown Shark at £20ish

So, when I say "narrowed it down" I clearly need a bit of help yet. Much as I would love a Toshi on it, I don't want to spend that much on a strap for a watch which only cost about £130 new.

Anyone got strong opinions on these which might help me make a decision?

Cheers

SKX007 Strap Options

This is a Seiko on Hirsch liberty. Not an 007 but similar and I kind of like it.

SKX007 Strap Options

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post

This is a Seiko on Hirsch liberty. Not an 007 but similar and I kind of like it.
    Something a bit different - I like it. I'm sure you didn't have to boil it to get to fit comfortably ;-)))

Craftsman
    The leather straps all look great in pictures. I fell in love with pictures of 007's on big hole rallys/deployants - tried it and was disapointed. Same with chunkier straps (eg Jumbos).

For me, the great thing about these watches is their ability to do a great deal for very little cost. Refined straps seem to clash with this idea and feel a little flashy.

...however, as I said, they look great & plenty of people think differently. I love my Seiko 5 on a leather strap that cost over half what the watch did - I suppose logic just doesn't apply!

Re: SKX007 Strap Options

Isn't somebody now doing a Beads of Rice (proper one!) to fit the Seiko's?

Just as a quick updated, I bought a Di-Modell Jumbo in dark brown. Hopefully will be with me early next week.

I liked the look of the Hirsch Liberty posted but the actual Hirsch Liberty straps I looked for seemed to have an extra stitch at the lug end from the stitches to the edge of the strap - presumably stopping the pin hole pulling open? Might seem a like a minor point but I wasn't so keen on the look with that extra stitch. In the end, the Jumbo at half the price seemed worth a try.

Cheers

I dont do rubber straps, as I find them uncomfortable.

I cant fathom, how people get along with them, but that might just be me.

SKX on leather, NATO or bracelet for me.

SKX007 Strap Options

Quote Originally Posted by Zigster View Post

I liked the look of the Hirsch Liberty posted but the actual Hirsch Liberty straps I looked for seemed to have an extra stitch at the lug end from the stitches to the edge of the strap - presumably stopping the pin hole pulling open? Might seem a like a minor point but I wasn't so keen on the look with that extra stitch. In the end, the Jumbo at half the price seemed worth a try.

Cheers
    You can remove that extra bit I was told. Once looked for that strap as well.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    I Know it's been established that this isn't what the original poster was after but the thread inspired me to give the Z22 boiling a try. I've had my SKX007 on various leather and Nato straps; they're good but not right (grey Nato is the best so far).

Anyway, if anyone needs more of a curve than you get from a standard mug, try an espresso cup. It doesn't stay that small, it 'unravels' a bit but stays well curved.

Hope this helps somebody.

Ryan
    Just for anybody who digs this thread up in future:

The espresso cup/hot water did the trick. Just worn the strap for a full day, it's still a big bulky lump of rubber so not as comfortable as leather/nato etc, but perfectly wearable now. I'd recomend trying it if you like the look of the rubber - nothing to lose!

Look great on a WJEAN mesh too. (only had a pic of my old 009)

WJEAN super oyster 2 with SEL's are the only way to roll IMPO though

Last edited by MuRph77; 30th March 2013 at 09:30.

Just got one of these http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/P-...-for-Tuna.html for my GS

Some pics (not mine) here:
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-this-is-Seiko

Would look fantastic on SKX007 too, and is really comfortable.

This is the thread I've been waiting for!

I'd like to put one of Eddies Retro Rubber on but the problem of that angled slopey bit on the underside of the 007 case between the lugs persists.

If the strap is too thin, you can see it, especially at the 6 end. Not explaining myself very well but 007 owners will know what I mean - and it can be seen in some of the pics above.

Diggers Isofrane pic is the clearest example.

With the lugs being quite short, would one of Eddies Retros with the thicker bit at the watch end fit?

This would seem to solve that problem.

Martin.

The SKX007 looks good in MANY different straps, some of them have already been posted here. Personally I like the Z22, but I like the 007 in oyster bracelet better, or in a bond nato strap (picture has already been post in the thread with this option).

If you are looking for a nice rubber band alternative, I would suggest the Hirsch Pure caoutsouc. I have the 20mm version on another watch and it looks and feels great. The cost is also very reasonable.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I'm wearing mine on the jubilee it came with. Technically naff it may be, but it looks good and I find it incredibly comfortable. It'll do for me.
    I agree with this wholeheartedly - I bought this seperately, and although I found it light and a bit wonky, on the wrist the comfort is amazing - and it lends the watch a very classy look. It is also quite tough, as you'd expect from a maker like Seiko.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I have mine 055 in oyster but the jubilee starts to have my attention.

Rubber is my all time favorite as well

Master
    Nice fountain!

Not my picture, but the SKX007 looks pretty good on a Morellato Cordura...I found this on a French forum
    http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/Discuss....htm#t17024272