closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Precista Flieger???

Precista Flieger???

Eddie, have you ever considered working the Precista magic on a Flieger model?

Re: Precista Flieger???

Quote Originally Posted by ODP
    Are you referring to a chrono or time only? The SBIII could be classified under flieger.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

I was thinking along the lines of time only. I've seen some great pictures of a Stowa flieger and a similsr Archimede. If Eddie made one like these I would buy one.

I've got a pretty big project list right now but I'm always willing to add to the list. Can you give me a clue what sort of thing you're looking for?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I was thinking along the lines of time only. I've seen some great pictures of a Stowa flieger and a similsr Archimede. If Eddie made one like these I would buy one.
    I could fill up the page with the many of those type of fliegers ... I cannot see the point of putting another one on the market ... unless of course Crusader can persuade Stowa with the centre seconds Unitas.

Another route might be for Eddie to try and source any ETA Valgranges with the rotor (and date) taken out. :idea:

john

I can get the Unitas 6497 with centre seconds and even an automatic version.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I've got a pretty big project list right now but I'm always willing to add to the list. Can you give me a clue what sort of thing you're looking for?

Eddie
    Sorry to be a pain ... but is there a monopusher (as per military Lemania) on the project list?

john

If there was to be a monopusher, the best I can find at the moment is a modified version of the Chinese Venus 175.

Eddie

Eddie
    This must be a new development because the last I remember you couldn't.

A "Just Right" 2nd Pattern B-Uhren does not exist on the market ... hint-hint. You could be calling it, 'The German'. :P

john

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

Eddie
    This must be a new development because the last I remember you couldn't.

A "Just Right" 2nd Pattern B-Uhren does not exist on the market ... hint-hint. You could be calling it, 'The German'. :P

john
    Well I don't accept that "NO" is always a permanent situation. :wink: I was thinking of calling it "Kamikaze" so that when it's fucked after a few months you won't be surprised. :lol:

Eddie

Grand Master

Are you referring to a chrono or time only? The SBIII could be classified under flieger.

john
    I am beginning to suspect that "flieger" in English commonly refers to a B-Uhren pattern, although the word in German just denotes "aviation watch". Confusing, isn't it, sometimes.

Eddi, if you can get the center-second Unitas, do something with it. Except for Chronoswiss, Wempe and Kobold no one is using it, so you're bound to corner the market there. :-)

And please don't tell me that you are using a Center-second Unitas with the second hand removed for the Italian ... :P
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Well I don't accept that "NO" is always a permanent situation. :wink: I was thinking of calling it "Kamikaze" so that when it's fucked after a few months you won't be surprised. Eddie:
    I thought we were supposed to keep the obscenities to the member-only fora?!!

Well I don't accept that "NO" is always a permanent situation. :wink: I was thinking of calling it "Kamikaze" so that when it's fucked after a few months you won't be surprised. :lol:

Eddie
    Nice! I'm all up for it. :lol:

Seikosha Naval Pilots watch (a real Sebuku)
    http://germanwatch.proboards43.com/inde ... 1146195297

john

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart
    Well I don't accept that "NO" is always a permanent situation. :wink: I was thinking of calling it "Kamikaze" so that when it's fucked after a few months you won't be surprised. Eddie:
    Well just like Easter Stuart, that's an ever moving feast.

Eddie

Well just like Easter Stuart, that's an ever moving feast.

Eddie
    OK. Have a good Christmas; you're a good man, Eddie!

No thats forum is for the naked ladies. And there hasn't been enough of them lately.

I was thinking along the lines of the IWC 'big' pilot (Reference IW500401).
    A Unitas movement would be great and with a sterile face (like the Italiano).
    What do you think Eddie???

As has been previously mentioned in this thread, there's a lot of "Flieger" watches around and I wouldn't want to make "Just-another-flieger", it would need to be sufficiently different to justify making it.

Any ideas now?

Eddie

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    I am beginning to suspect that "flieger" in English commonly refers to a B-Uhren pattern, although the word in German just denotes "aviation watch". Confusing, isn't it, sometimes.
    True. As I understand it, what is requested here is something patterned on the two versions of Luftwaffe Beobachtungsuhren (the ones made for the navigators back then by, among others, Stowa, Lacher, Wempe, IWC). I agree that there are several makers producing replicas of the most "normal" looking of the two, but to my knowledge only Laco and Glashütte original makes watches with the other dial version (the one with the hour markers on a separate cirkle in the center of the dial). So mayby that could be a possibility for Eddie.

However, it is pretty confusing, since the just discontinued IWC 3706 was called "Fliegerchrono", despite it was inspired by the British military watches from the end of the 1940s as far as case shape and hands concerns. But the chronographs made by Tutima and Hanhart for the Luftwaffe pilots (like the Aerowatch Pilot Eddie had for sale until sold out recently) around 1940 probably were also a source of inspiration.

I think there is definately a niche in the Precista lineup for a Flieger watch.
    What would everyone like to suggest would make the perfect Precista Flieger?

The SBIII.

john

What does an SBIII look like?

Here you should get an idea ...
    http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19554

john

Craftsman
    I was thinking along the lines of the IWC 'big' pilot (Reference IW500401).
    A Unitas movement would be great and with a sterile face (like the Italiano).
    What do you think Eddie???
    I think an Homage to the BIG Pilot ala Archimede style either using an auto or centre seconds Unitas would be great. Even if it would not be sufficiently different under Eddi'es criteria, i think Eddie's Value For Money quality would bea great selling point.

-Amer

Grand Master
    The SBIII.

john
    Same here. Seriously guys, there is an abundance of "Fliegers" (in the sense of B-Uhren homages). The Fortis are available in the 2nd pattern as well, by the way. It's tough between the Archimede and the Stowa right now, and both are excellent VFM. Can't see how Eddy could put out a Flieger at substantially less than GBP 150 (to comepte with the Archimede which sells at ? 245 and comes in two sizes, dial colors and crown options each), or compete with Stowa's status as an historic maker of the B-Uhren.

Speedbird III, being patterened after an RAF watch, is an entirely different manner, and with IWC having just deserted the field of Mark-11-homages, there is a huge opportunity.

And again, "Flieger" in German is any aviation or pilot's watch, and does not imply B-Uhren design. The Sinn 656 is a Flieger, as is any Damasko watch. :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

How about a 38/39mm flieger, like the Stowa, but a GMT with a lumed skelton hour hand like the Sinn 756 for the 2nd zone, and blued regular hands. It would be hard getting a 24hr layout on the dial without ruining the incredible elegance of the regular dial.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cornflakes
    How about a 38/39mm flieger, like the Stowa, but a GMT with a lumed skelton hour hand like the Sinn 756 for the 2nd zone, and blued regular hands. It would be hard getting a 24hr layout on the dial without ruining the incredible elegance of the regular dial.
    The 7750-based 756 has a 12h-function for the second timezone; I am not aware that something similar would be offered for the 28xx series of time-only movements. The 2893 has a 24h-second timezone.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

john

Looks the same as Bill's Quad 10 with the date window at 6 o'clock instead of 3?

I have to agree with other posters here, I think there are too many people already making Flieger watches for Eddie to be able to add anything distinctive to the game. Concentrating on models like the SBIII sounds like a better way forward to me (plus I really want a SBIII :) , so stop distracting the man! :D )
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Actually a hommage watch will hit the market in the beginning of 2007.
    Steinhart B-Uhr.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Quote Originally Posted by swedeone3

john

Looks the same as Bill's Quad 10 with the date window at 6 o'clock instead of 3?
    There you go again Todd. I sometime wonder if you actually see what everyone else does. Bill's Quad was his attempt to cash in on the success of the Speedbird PRS-1.

Eddie

john

There you go again Todd. I sometime wonder if you actually see what everyone else does. Bill's Quad was his attempt to cash in on the success of the Speedbird PRS-1.

Eddie

I refuse to get into a pissing match with you Eddie. All I said was that this possible upcoming watch looked like the Quad 10. If others don't "see" what I "see", than they are seeing different watches than I "see" because they are similar. It looks like many other watches out there as well but as I have been considering a Quad 10, it came to mind. Really nothing to get defensive about IMO. Am I not permitted to post an opinion or answer another's question?

I'm not going to comment on your last sentence.

I've given you a lot of rope Todd and it seems you can't resist hanging yourself.

Eddie

john

Eddie
    Aren't they all an attempt to cash in on the success of IWC, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Watchcap

john

Eddie
    Aren't they all an attempt to cash in on the success of IWC, etc.?
    Of course they are, hommages/repros of watches no longer made (and I never made any secret of it) but some came before others. :wink:

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    Steinhart B-Uhr.

Not bad. One of the better ones. What's the size and movement?

Pity everyone is concentrating on the first pattern dials. The minute indices should have been lumed. :P

john

Steinhart B-Uhr.

Not bad. One of the better ones. What's the size and movement?

Pity everyone is concentrating on the first pattern dials. The minute indices should have been lumed. :P

john
    Size will be 47mm if i´m not mistaken. (hopefully not a 55mm hey-look-i´m-the-same-size-as-original monster).
    Movement is the Sellita SW-2000 (pretty much the same as ETA 2824-2 for what i´ve heard).

See here: http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...h=697387&rid=0

and here: http://www.sellita.ch/

Size will be 47mm if i´m not mistaken. (hopefully not a 55mm hey-look-i´m-the-same-size-as-original monster).
    Movement is the Sellita SW-2000 (pretty much the same as ETA 2824-2 for what i´ve heard).

See here: http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...h=697387&rid=0

and here: http://www.sellita.ch/
    Thanks. Interesting stuff. I don't feel 47mm is a useful size, especially with such a small movement in a big bucket.

I was just looking at the Muhle Pilots (42mm). Apart from the case construction, which looks good ... there are more ?wrong? design details than ?right? about it. :(
    http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... 2198&rid=0
    http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... 2206&rid=0
    http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... 9366&rid=0

john

Yah, definitely. 47mm is REALLY huge. Especially on such chicken wrists like mine. :roll:
    But the price tag of this one convinced me (compared to some others on the market...).

Have to admit that it doesn´t get too much wrist time lately.

Those Mühle Watches somehow remind me of the aristo´s.

It´s not the design which makes a pilots watch. But that has been discussed a thousand times before - so i don´t wanna start a new pathetic discussion :P

I have a Mac so I must think different: what about no flieger but "Oceanic" (read IWC Bund in titanium). - TRhat one has pedigree like few others...

Just an idea. I would buy one in a heart beat!

Grand Master
    But the price tag of this one convinced me (compared to some others on the market...).
    What is the Steinhart price range, then?
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

I refuse to accept B-Uhren designs with small seconds. :evil:

... but that is just me.

john

Grand Master

... but that is just me.

john
    Agreed, a subsecond design is a travesty of the cs-modified B-Uhren ... still, I am keen to learn in which price range the new Steinhart will be.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

... still, I am keen to learn in which price range the new Steinhart will be.
    You can get a rough idea by looking at the rest of their catalogue. I was originally not very enampured by Steinhart as they started life making Rolex clones but as time goes by, they are appearing to be finding their own ground ... even tho they could still do with a good designer. :P

Another small detail ... B-Uhren 'must not' have a flat crystal.

... and Crusader, the sooner you sort out the centre seconds Unitas with Stowa then we can concentrate on the details.

This is how the hands should look on a first pattern B-Uhren with perhaps the hour hand a tad shorter. If the watch in the pic had curved acrylic I wouldn't have been able to resist it. Especially at the price.

john

Grand Master
    You can get a rough idea by looking at the rest of their catalogue.
    Do you have a link to the catalog, by any chance? Couldn#t find it ...
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

http://www.steinhartwatches.com/content/view/318/238/

john

Grand Master

john
    Grazie! :D
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

john
    What? How? Where?

john

Grand Master

john
    What? How? Where?

john
    For the link I couldn't find. :)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

... but that is just me.

john
    I might be inclined to accept sub seconds, if they used the 6498 instead of the 6497, and put the sub-seconds down at the traditional 6 o'clock position.

Same goes for those gigantic Italian things.