closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: iPhone 5 with 4G compatibility

iPhone 5 with 4G compatibility

Have just upgraded to iphone 5 on Vodafone. Was informed that if I waited till Easter the new phones would then be compatible on the Vodafone 4G network. Being an impatient sod I went for the upgrade today anyway ....
    Slightly regret it now because it will no doubt be much faster but do you think data prices will go up a notch? Anyone had experience with EE price plans for 4G data?

I'd imagine 4G data prices will be expensive initially and restricted to the usual cities - London/Manchester etc.

On EE for 4G Seems to be 41 quid per month on 24 month contract as opposed to 30 quid a month for current contract with Vodafone 3G . That's for 1 gig of data only -
    Vodafone prices in Easter will only be higher I'm guessing
    Looks like I've justified my decision :-)

Don't quote me on this but i recently upgraded my contract o a sim only with Vidafone and when I spoke to the sale person they told me that they will be offering to buy back recently sold handsets/contracts when they launch their 4G service so you will probably be offered the ability to 'upgrade' to this facility if you want it. If not and you really want it might be worth trying to push for it through the complaints dept as I have found them very helpful in the past.

I'm on EE 4g. It's nice but the data cap is a real pain. I'd rather have stayed with an unlimited 3g contract, to be honest - though the phone itself is awesome sauce.

Better to have data and use it than have it be super quick and not be able to benefit.

The iPhone 5 you've bought, assuming it's from a UK store, won't work with the 4G frequency Vodafone and O2 will be rolling out. It works on EE's 1800Mhz 4G network, but doesn't support 800Mhz or 2.6Ghz that Vodafone and O2 will be using. Therefore if you want to use Vodafones 4G network when it's available, you'll have to buy a new phone.

No doubt the 'iPhone 5S' or whatever the replacement is going to be called will support more frequencies, but the iPhone 5 only works on EE in the UK.

I wouldn't worry though, 4G is about a year away from offering a practical advantage for mobile phones. Currently there is little you can do that will benefit you, other than speed your way to data caps quicker.
    Last edited by RobM; 28th December 2012 at 13:08.

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    The iPhone 5 you've bought, assuming it's from a UK store, won't work with the 4G frequency Vodafone and O2 will be rolling out. It works on EE's 1800Mhz 4G network, but doesn't support 800Mhz or 2.6Ghz that Vodafone and O2 will be using. Therefore if you want to use Vodafones 4G network when it's available, you'll have to buy a new phone.

No doubt the 'iPhone 5S' or whatever the replacement is going to be called will support more frequencies, but the iPhone 5 only works on EE in the UK.

I wouldn't worry though, 4G is about a year away from offering a practical advantage for mobile phones. Currently there is little you can do that will benefit you, other than speed your way to data caps quicker.
    Yeah I didn't think it would be an option to "upgrade" to 4G anyway ....

I have to admit I read your post wrong and thought you were asking about moving to a Vodafone 4G plan when available... my mistake and apologies for the wasted waffle above :)

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    I have to admit I read your post wrong and thought you were asking about moving to a Vodafone 4G plan when available... my mistake and apologies for the wasted waffle above :)
    Was useful to know though! It would seem its definitely a no go .

Apprentice
    Not worth the premium on the contract. When the coverage is national and the cost comes down (or 4G becomes the only offering) then I may take it up. Browsing the internet will not be significantly different, to get real benefit you need to be downloading large files or streaming constantly - then you'll hit your download cap and incur additional charges. I'm never in that much of a hurry to download something seven times faster!

Not been particularly impressed with my iPhone 5.

Need a replacement one because the power button is barely working, I struggle to lock the phone.
    I'd expect better from a phone that's >£500.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    For instant 4g I got an EE account. They have a good 4g coverage already, where there is no 4g it defaults to 3g. The little Huawei 589 provides Wifi for multiple users . So wherever I am I get good wifi for my iphone 5, ipad, laptot etc.

Its about the size of an iphone 5, just a bit fatter.