closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: they must be desperate

they must be desperate

Hi,

Last few times I have browsed the windows of the Omega boutique in Glasgow, usually a sales person would pop out. To be honest I always thought that was a bit tacky but fair enough if thats what the management want.

Yesterday though I was accosted by a sales guy at one window, then same thing by a saleswoman at the other window!!

Now both times they came out the boutique as soon as I was near the windows so definitely company procedure to pounce.

Anyone else got that treatment, or think its pushy and almost rude/tacky? Not high end sales experience i would say!!!

Cheers,
    Grant

Craftsman
    i would expect to be able to view the window without any fuss from the sales staff. prefer to be left alone to browse until something takes an interest and want a closer look.

on a similar note, it's like walking into a furniture store and within 30 seconds there is a salesperson on your coat tails!

Craftsman
    That would immediately put me off. How annoying!

Yeah, it was annoying. Maybe, they used to work at Dfs?!!!!

Blog Entries
    If I want help ill bloody ask lol

Simple solution. Just tell them your willing to buy today but only if they offer 50% off of the model you want. They'll soon fu** off.....

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think once your in the shop it's fair enough. But not to pounce on a window shopper.
    Maybe you have the appearance of somebody who is in the market for lots of new Omegas :)

Banned
    Happened to me a few years ago in London, but they were fit promotional bints rather than typical AD sales staff.

It's their window...

Next time you stop, press your nose against the window.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Next time you stop, press your nose against the window.
    Or for more instant shock, do the same, but push from the pelvis after releasing ones pride and joy

Craftsman
    I've heard of hidden microphones on the outside of jeweller's shop windows to pick up on conversations and potential interest .
    Sneaky or what ?

Seasons Greetings to all

Ivan
    iwcforme

Go away. Usually works for me.

Master
    I'd ask what discount they were prepared to offer to entice me to physically go inside the shop

Hmm, each time I've been to the Glasgow Omega Boutique they've had the door locked and I've had to wait until they unlock it an let me in. If they're accosting passers by guess that way of running the boutique hasn't really worked for them that well. I've never noticed anyone else in there when I've been in so I suspect that its not that popular. I have to say that I don't really see the point of the store, and I suspect it won't be around too long.

Better than going into the shop and being ignored though

I'm not much of a tyre kicker.

I've been accosted twice by Laing's staff in the Argyle Arcade (the big shop with Patek). Was lured in once & tried on an IWC Big Pilot.
    Didn't buy (was never going to) & didn't enjoy the experience at all.

Does it always go "Are you looking for anything in particular? What have you got on today?"
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle View Post
    Hmm, each time I've been to the Glasgow Omega Boutique they've had the door locked and I've had to wait until they unlock it an let me in. If they're accosting passers by guess that way of running the boutique hasn't really worked for them that well. I've never noticed anyone else in there when I've been in so I suspect that its not that popular. I have to say that I don't really see the point of the store, and I suspect it won't be around too long.
    Boutiques dont always work, I know brands are trying to go the boutique strategy rather than have agents , though sometimes its just not viable or profitable.In manchester Montblanc pulled their boutique from Harvey Nichs probably cause it wasnt selling enough and in Liverpool Zegna had a boutique with a separate entrance ,k it was part of flannels but it was pulled last year.So they dont always work ,agents are better sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I'm not much of a tyre kicker.

I've been accosted twice by Laing's staff in the Argyle Arcade (the big shop with Patek). Was lured in once & tried on an IWC Big Pilot.
    Didn't buy (was never going to) & didn't enjoy the experience at all.

Does it always go "Are you looking for anything in particular? What have you got on today?"

Or "Is it a treat for YOURSELF?" ( the incorrect use of this is annoying enough)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Schuhren

Better than going into the shop and being ignored though
    True.

Burnsey has the right idea. I would try having a dribble of bubbling spittle from one side of your mouth, or carrying a rubber chicken. "Do you have any kittens?" would also work.

Journeyman
    As long as they are polite and back off if you are just looking I wouldn't have a problem. Most luxury boutiques are trying to make themselves more accessible not less.

Craftsman
    Had a similar experience recently when window shopping in the Chisholm Hunter store in the Manchester Arndale Centre. Didn't particularly bother me and I guess it's just a sign of the currently difficult economic times.

I went in a small Ernest Jones in Crewe and asked if they stocked Omegas. The very nice lady said no but that H Samuals probably did around the corner. No I didn't check!!

Try walking down Bond street nearly all have doormen and you have to try and catch one snooty blokes attention just to ask a sensible question ... As long as they are polite I would rather be acknowledged personally...

Master
    I like to browse and only go in if there is something I may buy!

Craftsman

they must be desperate

staff never usually approach me, perhaps I don't look 'money' enough?

Apprentice
    If you go to New York, there are guys outside competitors jewellery shops ushering you to their own shop by quietly singing words like 'try the store just down the way, it's called ..... & the prices are better than here' unbelievable ! .....

Quote Originally Posted by monty68 View Post
    Hi,

Last few times I have browsed the windows of the Omega boutique in Glasgow, usually a sales person would pop out. To be honest I always thought that was a bit tacky but fair enough if thats what the management want.

Yesterday though I was accosted by a sales guy at one window, then same thing by a saleswoman at the other window!!

Now both times they came out the boutique as soon as I was near the windows so definitely company procedure to pounce.

Anyone else got that treatment, or think its pushy and almost rude/tacky? Not high end sales experience i would say!!!

Cheers,
    Grant
    Not only wouldn't I buy. I wouldn't visit again. I hate feeling under pressure to buy.

On another note if it looks like the employers policy I wouldn't be rude to the staff. They are probably as uncomfortable doing it as you are receiving it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by monty68 View Post
    Hi,

Cheers,
    Grant
    Grant, I was recently "accosted" by a young chap outside one of the AD in the Argyle Arcade. Usual banter ensued but after a while as the conversion got deeper in to watches and movements the conversation developed into one of 2 watch enthusiasts having a chat about watches rather than a sales pitch.

We chatted for a least 1/2 hour and came away with a nice bag of catalogues that I do not have in my collection. All in all it was a pleasant experience.

Dave

goldsmiths did exactly the same thing to me and told me I need to sign up to a waiting list to see a sub

Thats assault. I would be out of there like shit off a shovel

I think that the store is acting with good intentions in that 'high end' watch shops can seem intimidating to those that are not used to visiting such places. Therefore by having staff approaching window shoppers to start a conversation has been seen a good idea.

Honestly, it is a sign of desperation from an over zealous sales manager and should be a good indication that a deal can be had.

Chris