closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex to be official timekeeper of F1 from 2013

Rolex to be official timekeeper of F1 from 2013

Just read the press release here

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=0#msg_6355986

Will Rolex be making any F1 related limited editions? Not like them is it?

Master
    Blog Entries
    There will be another Rolex price increase any-time soon then to offset Bernie's fees.

Isn't it the 50th anniv of the Daytona next year? I smell I tie in...and a 15% price increase across the board to pay for the poison dwarf's ransom.

So will this make Bernie more attractive to muggers, or less?

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/b...ace-2010-12-07
    Last edited by petethegeek; 5th December 2012 at 19:13. Reason: Added link

Rolex have been sponsoring Endurance racing (Le Mans, Daytona 24h, ALMS) for many years, but Formula 1 is in a different league in terms of sponsorship costs. And becoming the "Official Timekeeper" will be expensive. And then some.

Price hike imminent, I think.

Regards

Ian

Edited to add that I shall be only too pleased to mention Rolex in any upcoming Formula 1 threads on this Forum, as long as we can come to a suitable and mutually acceptable arrangement. Thank you.
    Last edited by Backward point; 5th December 2012 at 19:38.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

I think it's great news - I'm very pleased any way and may even watch more races ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    They have been sponsors of ocean racing for years....think it is great.

Might be he time to invest in a Daytona, price hike imminent!

Quote Originally Posted by londonjoe View Post
    New models with new prices likely.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Poor old cilla will have a fit!!!!

Good.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by londonjoe View Post
    Yep, Id agree plus the potential to release a new model!
    RIAC

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Poor old cilla will have a fit!!!!
    I am impressed ánd almost wet myself laughing.
    Just imagine how F1 would look if it was subject to 40 year regulations and level of performance...
    As Rolex are basically owners of COSC, the news had mé laughing.
    F1 is the symbol of taking riscs in just about all aspects, pushing the limits of technology et al.
    Rolex is the opposite, again it had me laughing.
    Good news for the wannabees. Less so for those who maintain that the price covers the horologic contents. No, not just laughing as that is very sad too.

There will be even more tools overpaying even more for the increasingly large Veblen value.
    As was mentioned in a different topic it is obvious how desireability of a brand is creáted by marketing. Rolex are the past and present master in this game.
    It will no doubt work. F1 gets thé most exposure to an aspiring public and exposure of a brand will develop its image and recognition without horologic development.
    As Rolex dó have incredible knowhow and potential this imo is very sad for horologic technology savants.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Just like I said in my previous post

Rolex thread = cilla posts every time ha ha!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    As Rolex dó have incredible knowhow and potential this imo is very sad for horologic technology savants.
    Personally, I think it will make no difference whatsoever to "horologic technology savants" whoever they may be, or to us normal people either. It is a company sponsorship deal - and I am sure producing timing equipment to deal with cars going round a track is relative child's play in the scheme of things - me thinks he doth pretest far far too much sometimes.

Now if only Seiko Spring Drive would sponsor a similar event, maybe all would be well in the world of the "horologic technology savants".

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Now if only Seiko Spring Drive would sponsor a similar event, maybe all would be well in the world of the "horologic technology savants".
    You think thát?????
    Clever as it may be, SD is fúnctionally retrograde.
    Seiko SD as F1 sponsor would thus illustrate the value of marketing even more clearly than in the case of Rolex as the concepts itself is a marketing product.
    Seiko SD success is one of the very few examples in horology of the power of marketing more clear than the success of Rolex.
    The ´mechanical´ thing of burdoning a quartz gear train with the force of a main spring has done unimaginable wónders for the price ceiling of the Seiko brand.
    Hooking up with F1 would no doubt propel it even higher, prooving my point even more clearly.... to horologic technology savants.

Craftsman
    You think thát?????
    Clever as it may be, SD is fúnctionally retrograde.
    Seiko SD as F1 sponsor would thus illustrate the value of marketing even more clearly than in the case of Rolex as the concepts itself is a marketing product.
    Seiko SD success is one of the very few examples in horology of the power of marketing more clear than the success of Rolex.
    The ´mechanical´ thing of burdoning a quartz gear train with the force of a main spring has done unimaginable wónders for the price ceiling of the Seiko brand.
    Hooking up with F1 would no doubt propel it even higher, prooving my point even more clearly.... to horologic technology savants.
    I'm kind of struggeling a little with the whole concept of ANY watch brand being anything other than a pure marketing excercise in a sports tie up.

Timekeeping in sports is a matter of lasers, computer chips, atomic clocks and the most sophisticated software you can imagine. It simply has nothing to do with anything timepiece.

I also cannot for the life of me imagine that any of the equipment involved will be Rolex manufactured (or any other watch brand for that matter) unless they are planning to compete with Intel or Dell or IBM in the near future.

Edit to add ^^^^ the post above is correct in every way :)
    Last edited by Viking; 6th December 2012 at 11:28. Reason: To point at the post above and say Jacks Dad knows!

Banned
    I almost wet myself laughing

the news had mé laughing

again it had me laughing

Good news for the wannabees

No, not just laughing as that is very sad too

There will be even more tools overpaying

this imo is very sad for horologic technology savants.
    Cilla, I used to enjoy your posts, but it seems you are just a Seiko troll.

Seiko sponsors athletics and some boring boat thingy. Their most exciting deal is with Barcelona FC, where they are 'official watch partners' because (quote) "The new Seiko Sportura is the team’s watch of choice".

Whatever.

As if the players would entertain such tat.

Blog Entries
    And they only got one chrono in their line-up, and that's crappy for measuring racecars going round a track.................

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Cilla, I used to enjoy your posts, but it seems you are just a Seiko troll.

Seiko sponsors athletics and some boring boat thingy. Their most exciting deal is with Barcelona FC, where they are 'official watch partners' because (quote) "The new Seiko Sportura is the team’s watch of choice".

Whatever.

As if the players would entertain such tat.

The year they got sponsored was the year they won nothing.

And +1 to the rest of your post.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I'm kind of struggeling a little with the whole concept of ANY watch brand being anything other than a pure marketing excercise in a sports tie up.

Timekeeping in sports is a matter of lasers, computer chips, atomic clocks and the most sophisticated software you can imagine. It simply has nothing to do with anything timepiece.
    Seiko and Swatch to name but two giants are very much capable of providing that sophisticated electronic service with the combined Seiko corporations without a doubt being by far the best prepaired.

Did you read this ?

´This new partnership with the pinnacle of motor sports brings together two leaders in their fields who share a passion for performance, precision, excellence and innovation.´

The current Rolex catalogue and F1 could not be two worlds further apart.
    As I wrote Rolex precision is 40 year old good enough, the technology is pre-modern and the brand is about taking the safe option.
    Since when have Rolex watches led any field??
    The marketing blurp is hilárious make believe but it wíll work.

Where is the evidence of Seiko SD's success especially here in the UK? The UK has one online authorised dealer advertising a handful of models, most of which aren't in stock. They're very interesting in terms of horology but they're hardly a commercial success.

Rolex are sponsors and timekeepers of the Bloodhound SCC project. I'd imagine that Rolex already have the technology for timekeeping F1. All to nicely coincide with the new Daytona at Basel 2013.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Just saving this one for posterity.

Keep banging that drum.

Just because Rolex don't sell a 10,000th's or 100,000th's electronic timing device, doesn't mean they don't have it.

Any way - this is a sponsorship deal and nothing more - beats me why some want to try and make more of it. If it is proves good business sense then it was a good move - nothing more and nothing less.

Banned
    'Cilla inspires me:

this was created for goldstone aka the puppy on speed who wants an Omega but warrants wider appreciation I reckon :))

If you're having watch problems I feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a watch ain't one

I got the rap patrol on the gat patrol
    Foes that wanna make sure the case is closed
    Rap critics that say quartz is for dumb bros
    I'm from the hood stupid what type of facts are those
    If you grew up with holes in your zapatos
    You'd celebrate the minute you was having dough
    I'm like f*** critics you can kiss my pink NATO
    If you don't like my taste you can press fast forward
    Got beef with 'Cilla if I say Rolex he gonna show
    He dont wear my watch so I font give a sh12, SO
    Rap mags try and use my pink strap
    So advertisers can give em more cash for ads. Fakers.
    I don't know what you take me as
    or understand the intelligence that Josh B has
    I'm from rags to riches brudda I ain't dumb
    Hit me

99 Problems but a watch ain't one
    If you having watch problems I feel bad for you son
    Hit me

Banned
    Blog Entries

Any way - this is a sponsorship deal and nothing more - beats me why some want to try and make more of it.
    Making more of it is the whole marketing purpose of any sponsorship deal and this is the mother of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Price hike imminent, I think.
    Mind you, that's always the case with Rolex.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just because Rolex don't sell a 10,000th's or 100,000th's electronic timing device, doesn't mean they don't have it.
    Quite and as you know I am totally aware of the Rolex involvement in research.
    They developed véry promising modern tech calibers.
    The more sad that 35 years ago they decided to bin it all as far as watches are concerned.
    Rolex áre very much capable of making a reliable modern tech accurate instrument to measure time and chóóse to sit on that in order not to butcher the mechanical goose that lays the highly profitable golden eggs. That is a point the Rolex fan base is intent on missing.

The undoubted future marketing succes of the F1 sponsorship deal practically ensures that none of their post modern time measuring expertise will find its way in a watch.
    This news tells us that there will be no Rolex quality high tech to push Seiko and Citizen or to force Swatch back into this arena. That I find very sad.

Also:
    Assuming that Rolex will provide in house made time measuring equipment for the F1 circus this would be cynical to the extreme; showing they cán make F1 level time measuring instruments and then providing their clientele with even more highly priced half a century old performance level agricultural type engines.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 6th December 2012 at 12:27.

Master

Re: Rolex to be official timekeeper of F1 from 2013

If we are playing fantasy F1 timekeeping here...... LOL.... surely TAG would be the company of choice to return and pay a nod to their Heuer roots?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post

Hah, fits him to a tee

Journeyman
    an other excuse to increase their prices !

Banned
    Yes Cilla, companies do make what their customers want to buy. Its not news.

Supply and demand innit. Even Rolex couldn't turn demand to quartz so they embraced it. Now be a dear and stop beating the bloody horse. Its dead and being sold as glue already.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Mcr View Post
    If we are playing fantasy F1 timekeeping here...... LOL.... surely TAG would be the company of choice to return and pay a nod to their Heuer roots?
    That was in a time when the sponsor deal was more like ´I provide the equipment in turn for free advertising´.
    Since then the importance and thus value of marketing/advertising has proven to be of a different order.

Personally I am ´stunned´ that Rolex thinks it necessary/usefull to enter this deal.
    The amount of money involved is ´stunning´.
    It looks like a move up a step to the level below Patek to keep ahead of Omega pushing upwards.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Yep, Id agree plus the potential to release a new model!
    Maybe they will release a Rolex autoquartz hybrid caliber labeled KERS.

Just sayin'.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    The marketing blurp is hilárious make believe but it wíll work.
    I may be wrong here cilla but *that* is the sole objective of a sponsorship/tie-in deal...........to raise brand awareness, i.e: to (hopefully) sell more watches................not 100% on this but I suspect that the Rolex watch co. won't give a monkeys chuff that you find it so laughable.

Master
    I guess ultimately it's just more amusing that potential customers feel the need to have some kind of association with a sport or individual sportsmen to want to own the particular product. The notion that just because Roger Federer wears a Rolex, somehow makes you realise you need one in your life, really doesn't say very much about that individual.

Commercial tie-ins with products are largely pretty toe curling - especially when the marketing people get involved and talk about 'inspiration, passion, technology' and other such BS.

But then I wear a Speedmaster.. arguably one of the most whored-out product cash-ins in the entire history of watchmaking so am in no position to judge!
    Last edited by chicaneuk; 7th December 2012 at 10:14.

Sponsorship can be offset against tax.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Remind me again - what happened to the last "partner of choice"?

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

Just sayin'.

R
    Not the same thing...showing the time of day and timing an event that sees competitors split by thousandths of a second.

Just sayin' (sorry I hate that phrase when someone think they're being oh so clever)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff W View Post
    Not the same thing...showing the time of day and timing an event that sees competitors split by thousandths of a second.)
    So are you saying Geoff that in your opinion Rolex won't be able to manage it?

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    I guess ultimately it's just more amusing that potential customers feel the need to have some kind of association with a sport or individual sportsmen to want to own the particular product. The notion that just because Roger Federer wears a Rolex, somehow makes you realise you need one in your life, really doesn't say very much about that individual.

Commercial tie-ins with products are largely pretty toe curling - especially when the marketing people get involved and talk about 'inspiration, passion, technology' and other such BS.

But then I wear a Speedmaster.. arguably one of the most whored-out product cash-ins in the entire history of watchmaking so am in no position to judge!
    But a lot of advertising is about getting a brand name in people's heads so when the time comes and they want to buy an item then that specific brand is the one they think of and turn too. Therefore surely getting high profile people to wear your product is perfect if it get the masses thinking and remembering the brand name whether it be James Bond / Omega or Nicole Kidman / Cartier etc.

The fact you know "Federer wears a Rolex" speaks volumes.

Seriously. This means nothing. Rolex sponsoring the Bloudhound SCC is one thing. Paying more money than Croesus to get your name in front of a global audience is just that. A marketing deal. I mean, do you really think that Marlboro / Boss / Chelsea FC or any of the other, completely random sponsors of F1 have ever added anything to the car, apart from weight? The Hublot deal was (at least) interesting. If you discount the first LE they did (which basically got rid of old movements) the newer versions were a lot better than they might have been. Yes, the Abu Dhabi versions and other liited editions were a little derivative, but at least they were fun. Do you think Rolex are really going to do anything interesting in response to this (apart from push their prices up)? I might be being harsh on them but an Milgauss with an embossed F1 dial, or a Daytona F1 (renamed the "Austin CoTA") is hardly going to get anyone's pulse racing, is it?
    Last edited by Broussard; 7th December 2012 at 14:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff W View Post
    Not the same thing...showing the time of day and timing an event that sees competitors split by thousandths of a second.

Just sayin' (sorry I hate that phrase when someone think they're being oh so clever)
    I didn't think tennis required thousands of a second timing?

I wasn't thinking I was being oh so clever, btw.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I didn't think tennis required thousands of a second timing?

I wasn't thinking I was being oh so clever, btw.

R
    I think the serving speed indicator is sponsored by IBM

Master
    Surely they don't actually change any of the timing equipment in real life? There would be no end of teething troubles. Sounds more likely to me that they are merely selling the right to display your logo prominently near the timing data on TV, call me cynical... Any actual facts on this?

I suspect Rolex and Omega are now like Coke and Pepsi - they are obliged to fork out a huge and equal ad spend just to maintain the status quo. No wonder the prices are high, but that's a selling point too! It might have suited TAG or Tissot more but they won't get a look in.

Meanwhile what a great opportunity to release a deadly accurate Oysterquartz 2 chronograph with lap time, alarm, countdown timer, timezone adjustment, and perpetual calendar. Hey, a man can dream. Or alternatively have nightmares if it turned out looking like the Skydweller.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 7th December 2012 at 21:03.

Formula 1 timing is achieved using a bespoke system which uses transponders on the cars which trigger sensors at the start/finish line and at two other points around the circuit to obtain sector times. All Rolex are doing is buying the right to have their branding on the existing system, and have adverts around the circuit. People seem to be over-thinking the connection between Rolex and Formula 1. There is a rumour that Rolex will produce an "official" Formula 1 watch, though.

The outgoing timing system sponsor was Hublot, who also had branding in the pit lane. I wasn't aware of any Hublot branding around the circuits, other than the pit lane.

£15m per year is the figure bandied around on the interweb. Which, if correct, seems relatively good value for having your brand name displayed to several billion viewers on twenty weekends of the year.

Regards

Ian

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    There will be another Rolex price increase any-time soon then to offset Bernie's fees.
    Exactly what I thouhgt when I read this!

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    [...]

£15m per year is the figure bandied around on the interweb. Which, if correct, seems relatively good value for having your brand name displayed to several billion viewers on twenty weekends of the year.
    Indeed that would seem to be quite cheap. Just the kerfuffle caused this week from the announcement would cost quite a lot to generate by traditional advertising. Rolex spends about double that figure on advertising just in the US each year.

I'm sure they will be paying a lot for this.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks Dad View Post
    Perfect match up imho; a boring watch co. sponsors a boring sport.
    There have been some brilliant races this year.

As for the Rolex sponsorship
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57