closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tag Heuer as a watch maker

Tag Heuer as a watch maker

Can anyone really explain the snobbery against Tag Heuer as a watch maker?

I understand they use standard ETA movements for most of their pieces but so do most other watch makers. I've recently been in the market for an Omega Speedmaster Co-axial which I know uses a modified ETA movement, but I've also had a huge interest in the Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 Automatic Chronograph, and I may be able to get my hands on one for a very reasonable price.

I think it's a stunning watch with a very elegant design however whenever I mention it to a person interested in watches, they raise their noses and claim it's cheap, overpriced tat. Seriously?

I know it's probably not quite in the league of Omega's but it's hardly tat or am I missing something altogether.

Interestingly, that same person told me to stuff the Carrera and go for a vintage Heuer which he claimed was a much better piece...again...am I missing something?

good question

for my personal taste, since Heuer added the TAG, the watches lost their charme, they are not sexy, not unique...just to minstream

better go w. Rolex, Sinn, Omega , Tudor, Zenith

I have a few Heuers but not yet seen a Tag that I like - it's simple aesthetics for me (although maybe a Monaco someday)

I own a Heuer, but I don't own a TAG so I'm speaking purely from the perspective of someone that occasionally looks at them through shop windows or on the wrists of colleagues, and occasionally reads a thread or two on this forum.

From my own perspective, I don't like the original TAG designs, they seem poor aesthetically and a lot of them seem to me to be small, fussy and less than functional. As far a their reissues are concerned I would suspect that collectors would rather go for an original than the reissue, that would certainly be the case if I had enough money to choose.. So I guess they can't win either way.

The other interesting thing is that they have a bad reputation here. It's difficult to tell whether it's deserved or not, but it seems to me that in a lot of cases a brands worth is tied up with its popularity or desirability. It seems to be the case that in terms of comparable brands, TAG appears to thought less desirable than similarly priced brands and and is treated more dismissively as a result.

There have also been reports of poor customer care and servicing.

Now I'd stress that this is all from the perspective of someone who doesn't own a TAG, and has no real interest in the brand or designs. There are some on the forum who do like them and they will no doubt make an appearance to express a view from their perspective.

i think adding TAG has taken the shine of the heuer brand .. just my opinion

It's all about perception of course. To me Heuer was a watch brand, while is TAG Heuer is a marketing outfit, that sells many more watches then Heuer ever did.
    I also remember what happened to Audiolab (a quality UK hi-fi producer) after they were taken over by TAG.

And yet everyone on here was swooning over the Tudor Black Bay a few months ago.
    ETA movement / not a faithful representation to the original / and priced at £2,000 plus

Go for the Carrera if it's what you like.
    I have a TAG Heuer Monaco which is special to me.
    The poor resale value doesn't bother me - Because I'll never sell it.

Some people buy to sell.
    Thats when it might become a problem.
    Personally - I can't see the point (it's like blumenia, but with watches)

I want - I want - I want / changed my mind / off to Sales corner.

A vintage pre TAG Carrerra should keep it's value OK.
    Or a newish second hand TAG which has already taken a hit.

You may be interested in a thread I instigated on this very subject just over a year ago.

Some nice cut and thrust debate and not too many pictures.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=Heuer
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I am rather fond of Heuers but only have a couple of Tag Heuers, a Spirotechnique diver and a 200 I bought in the 1990s. I had a Tag Monaco for a while but found it too uncomfortable (sharp square edges).

TH have released some good looking new watches, in particular the Jack Heuer and the Goodwood Carreras:

http://www.calibre11.com/review-tag-...r-80-birthday/

http://www.thewatchgallery.co.uk/sho...ad-fc6233.html

These are rather pricey though, something that puts me off when I think of how much most other THs lose in depreciation the moment you walk out the shop.

I think that Heuer should be relaunched as the higher end part of Tag Heuer, with the Monacos rebadged as Heuers and the whole Carrera range relaunched. There's room for a new Autavia (rotating bezel, chronograph, 42mm case etc), the Montreal could see a reissue and so on. The Aquaracers and quartz watches etc would still be sold as THs. I have a feeling that the majority of TH's customers aren't aware of the history of Heuer beyond the ever present McQueen Monaco advertising and most of them could be forgiven for thinking McQueen wore a Tag Heuer, as photoshopped onto all their photos of man and watch.

Doubt it's going to happen though.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Personally I find the vintage and current (tag)Heuer range of motoring derived models (Monaco, Monza, Carrera) to possess the finest balance of elegance and sportiness in a watch. I have owned all three in the past and currently own a calibre 36 Monza which has been a long term grail and my favourite watch at the moment.
    Even with an El Primero movement inside (as various Daytona and Panerai models) there is still quite a bit of snobbery directed at the brand. I don't think they help themselves with their F1 models and other TAG specials tbh.

Carrera is a fine watch, buy second hand, after the initial depreciation hit and you'll be fine.

I don't know how much manufacturing TAG does today but they used to put their designs out to tender and get them made by sub-contractors. Originally they were pure marketing.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I just find them a bit ugly. They also seem too much like a fashion brand (rightly or wrongly), similar to Gucci or Hugo Boss.

If you like one of their models I wouldn't let what anyone thinks put you off though. Who cares what anyone else thinks.

I find the regular Carreras under-rated. Good size, nice bracelets, good looks and a perfectly good Sports watch. I see these as what people buy when they have a couple of grand to spend (well at least until a couple of years ago) on a 'nice' watch and don't want to/can't reach to spending a couple of grand more on a Rolex or similar.

In the hand, I don't think the quality is up anywhere near a Rolex or even Omega but I think they are often judged unfairly.

I think they have come to a point now where they are becoming 'overpriced' for what they are. Some of the Grand Carreras are now well over 4k retail I think (?) and the Carreras over 3k. At this type of price (and even cheaper in fact), I'd be tempted to go for a Longines instead which occupy the 1-3k niche nicely now.

Used, they make a good buy but if you're going to buy new, make sure you get a healthy discount.
    Last edited by scarto; 5th November 2012 at 19:00.

I'm a snob. I bought one of the original reissued Monacos but revel in the fact that it doesn't have TAG on the dial

Having owned quite a few TAG Heuers over the years, I'd personally say the quality of the actual watches is fine. In fact I've never had one break or fail. I've probably sent about three off to TAG Service Centre in the UK for servicing or a dial change and have never had an issue.

I thought the only series that was outsourced was the 1000 model and that went to a French manufacturer?

The only area where I'd probably agree with most other watch collectors is the design since early mid-2000'ss has been a bit uninspiring. I personally think TAG Heuer are just playing it a bit too safe thesedays.

If you like the Carrera then go for it! It will be a quality watch

Tag Heuer as a watch maker

I like Tag Heuers, I've got a good few of them from a mid eighties 1000 up to the Calibre 36 Monza and Link. They are fantastic watches, rugged and reliable and whenever a qualified watchmaker comments they are always (in my experience on tz) positive. My beater is a Kirium quartz chrono that has taken a hammering yet still looks good.

True they are overpriced at the moment but you should be able to get 30% or more off rrp if you try.

Personally I would love to own any of the current 1887 models although they tend to get dismissed as bring a Seiko.

I've owned a couple of Carreras (though not the more recent models). They were nicely proportioned, well made and usable. Would I buy another one? Probably not. Because I owned them before I discovered this place and had my eyes opened to the fact that there was a wider world of watches which represented better value than TAG Heuer and held on to that value better.

TAG Heuer watches can be found on almost every High Street. Which means that they're not exactly exclusive. They seem to be an aspirational brand for people who don't "know" about watches.

Which is a shame, because TAG Heuer are probably the most innovative of any of the major manufacturers at the moment, with watches such as the Mikrogirder, Mikrograph and the four-barrel belt driven V4. Add to that the fact that TAG produce cutting-edge ceramic components for aerospace applications and turbochargers and the Heuer heritage and you should have real-world credibility.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

I like the Carrera Chronograph and the Omega Co-Axial and have owned both.IMHO Omega have made made some serious step changes recently introducing the 8500 movement and offering the ceramic bezel on the SMP.Yes prices have risen but what hasn't increased in value recently? Alternatively Tagheuer introduced the 1887 movement and early indications suggest its a winner.It was as previously mentioned borrowed from Seiko.Tagheuer also introduced the Grand Carrera ranges that have been proven to be a big mistake (not my opinion) It was actually on watch talk that ADs of Tagheuer are not confident in them and are offering huge discounts to move stock.They are now discontinued.

As for Omega they continue to grow there product ranges with IMHO some very nice variations.They made the decision not to sell Quartz and have a big marketing tool with the link to JB

I think that that the Carrera is one of the best TAG HEUER watches (post HEUER) produced.Reliable and solid. The Omega Co-Axial whether SMP or Planet Ocean are lovely watches.

Out of the 2 its the Omega for me but if you asked me the same question 6 months ago it would have been the Tag.

Tagheuer are not "TAT" but maybe have lost there way recently.

regards
    Tony

TAG Heuer Suffered Badly from Positioning of 80s and 90s

Seems to me that TAG Heuer suffered badly (and perhaps still suffers) in the eyes of some watch collectors and consumers, from the period in the 80s and 90s, when TAG Heuer was competing at the very low price points. To use an analogy from the business world, if someone buys a Rolex when he closes a big transaction or graduates from medical school, or a Patek when he becomes CEO or Chairman, TAG Heuers became a nice gift for the high school or college graduate. Yes, they were being produced in very high volume; I must imagine that there were some quality control issues along the way.

I believe that TAG Heuer has been on a much better path for the last several years, producing some innovative watches with high-quality components and manufacturing. No more "entry level" watches for the high school grads, but some good quality watches that reflect the style and quality that put Heuer on the map, in the 1960s.

I like all three of the ones shown below, from 1964, 2004 and 2012!!

Jeff

Master
    My first experience of Tag Heuer was from a car salesman I knew who got one for hitting his targets. That image has stuck with me since.

I own an Heuer from the 80s and it's one of my favourite watches though.

Logic isn't always logical.

Craftsman
    That's a cracking picture Jeff, I love the Carerras.

The company I work for give employees a Rolex after 25 years of service..... Only 24 years, 10 months and 7 days until I get mine

Quote Originally Posted by P4u1 View Post
    The company I work for give employees a Rolex after 25 years of service..... Only 24 years, 10 months and 7 days until I get mine
    Well, perhaps the bright side is that you get a TAG in 10 months and 7 days .

P.S. Don't hang around for the Rolex..........

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    My first experience of Tag Heuer was from a car salesman I knew who got one for hitting his targets. That image has stuck with me since.

I own an Heuer from the 80s and it's one of my favourite watches though.

Logic isn't always logical.
    What image? Someone doing their job well and being rewarded?

That's a very positive image to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    What image? Someone doing their job well and being rewarded?

That's a very positive image to me.
    It is unless the dealer was this guy:

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    It is unless the dealer was this guy:

Looks like a Rolex to me.....

"wearing a watch is like making love to a beautiful woman......"

Master
    I think the current Carrera chronograph with the 1887 movement is one of the most attractive propositions on the market. I don't care much for the rest of the range though but they are heading in the right direction with high end innovation and affordable in house movement production.

I'd take a Carerra or a Carerra Mikrotimer Flying 1000 over a Rolex anyday. The first is beautiful, the second visually exciting and an astonishing piece of watch-making tech.

Of course I'd love a blue Monaco. The Monaco chrono should only ever come in blue.

Love the Cal 1887 Carrera

I have owned this Cal 1887 Carrera for a couple of years, and I really enjoy it . . . the Calibre 1887 movement was a great development for TAG Heuer.

I didn't slate the 1887 on my thread. I love this watch

White or Black face. Simply stunning understated but some how has not connected with the watch world

regards
    T

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Stein View Post
    I have owned this Cal 1887 Carrera for a couple of years, and I really enjoy it . . . the Calibre 1887 movement was a great development for TAG Heuer.
    That's a very nice looking TAG. Is that the caliber that was developed by/together with Seiko?

bought a bi-metal quartz tag 2000 a few years back. yes everything most folk hate in a watch (no cyclops though )
    apart from a couple of battery changes it has been the most accurate and reliable watch i have ever owned.
    mine now only worn in rotation, her indoors wears the girlie version about 3 or 4 days a week and its proven itself to be as rugged and accrate as mine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Stein View Post
    Seems to me that TAG Heuer suffered badly (and perhaps still suffers) in the eyes of some watch collectors and consumers, from the period in the 80s and 90s, when TAG Heuer was competing at the very low price points. To use an analogy from the business world, if someone buys a Rolex when he closes a big transaction or graduates from medical school, or a Patek when he becomes CEO or Chairman, TAG Heuers became a nice gift for the high school or college graduate. Yes, they were being produced in very high volume; I must imagine that there were some quality control issues along the way.

I believe that TAG Heuer has been on a much better path for the last several years, producing some innovative watches with high-quality components and manufacturing. No more "entry level" watches for the high school grads, but some good quality watches that reflect the style and quality that put Heuer on the map, in the 1960s.

I like all three of the ones shown below, from 1964, 2004 and 2012!!

Jeff

Love these watches Jeff.

I'm keen to pick up the Jack Heuer 80th birthday watch. Love it, very vintage looking.

I discounted them after reading about the very very poor quality quartz movements they used, and they used to (maybe still do?) have a bit of a chav following. THOUGH, from a couple of the watches that have been posted, I can see they have and continue to make some very good looking watch.

Craftsman
    My one and only. I credit them with getting me interested in watches. I've had it for 20 years and passed it down to my 13 year son who still wears it. Its been a super reliable well worn watch as I wore it every day for a decade.

I don't think they're any worse than other companies that sell tarted-up cases with generic movements inside, and they're better than some.

I think they're a bit similar to the Bose company; a well-known name in the mainstream that's not so popular with enthusiasts. I'm not saying that their quality is as abysmal as Bose's, just that they appear to have found a successful formula and they have little incentive to change. I'm sure that Bose has the resources to make stuff that actually sounds decent, but why would they bother trying to compete on sound quality when they've found an extremely profitable formula? Likewise, TAG Heuer could try to impress watch nerds, but I think they're quite happy with being a big profitable mainstream company that uses off-the-shelf movements.

They're the most known name within the world's largest luxury-goods conglomerate, so it's likely they have the resources to do as they like. And it would be foolish to dismiss a company that has access to non-Nivarox hairsprings through their Seiko connection.

I'm not saying that I'd ever want to wear one, however!

Calibre 1887 Movement

Quote Originally Posted by lencoth View Post
    That's a very nice looking TAG. Is that the caliber that was developed by/together with Seiko?
    TAG Heuer bought some movement technology from Seiko, that Seiko was no longer using, and then faced a firestorm (at the time the 1887 movement was introduced) because TAG Heuer did not refer to the use of this technology. Personally, I was thrilled that they bought proven technology from Seiko, rather than spending millions of dollars and lots of time to build their own movement, entirely from scratch. But some of the TAG Heuer bashers jumped on this use of Seiko technology.

Whoever developed the technology, my Cal 1887 Carrera has been an awesome "runner" and has operated perfectly through a lot of use.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff

I had not seen the 2012 Carrera yet, not bad, but I`d still prefer the old one

My watch maker had no problems working on mine and he was impressed with it had him fix the winding stem that came loose and I had him regulate the time.But this one was made before tag is proberly why.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    I think it's a stunning watch with a very elegant design however whenever I mention it to a person interested in watches, they raise their noses and claim it's cheap, overpriced tat. Seriously?
    Then don't listen to them. Buy it, wear it, enjoy it.

If we all listened to the majority around here we'd all have to wear Subs to be able to post. And that would be boring.

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    If we all listened to the majority around here we'd all have to wear Subs to be able to post. And that would be boring.
    It would be boring beyond belief!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Looks like a Rolex to me.....

"wearing a watch is like making love to a beautiful woman......"
    Precisely the problem with the sales man in question - hence the image sticking with me.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Having owned a tag myself, I quickly fell out of love with it when I saw how over sold and marketered they were, it may sound bad but I just straight up didn't like some of the other people I saw wearing them if you know what I mean (and I don't by any means mean the type of chaps you see being a keen WIS on here!)

Mainly the snobbery comes though as they are cheaply made with off the shelf movements and they did some very cheap plastic & quartz watches a few years ago and, in the eyes of the watch collecting community, was an undorgivable sin that their image could never make a recovery from

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've never had one but a few friends have owned tag watches, and every one of them has had reliability issues. Guy in work had his sent back for repair 3 times, 2 for the mech stopping which I suppose might be something and nothing, but the other time because the croc strap split open, which I thoug was a bit poor after 3 months uee...

got this monaco reissue about 10/11 months ago wear it every so often
    was gonna sell it but couldnt bring myself to do it

i pretend to myself its an old vintage model :)
    its still a tag but without the tag on the dial

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanski View Post
    got this monaco reissue about 10/11 months ago wear it every so often
    was gonna sell it but couldnt bring myself to do it

i pretend to myself its an old vintage model :)
    its still a tag but without the tag on the dial

Lovely watch!

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    I've never had one but a few friends have owned tag watches, and every one of them has had reliability issues. Guy in work had his sent back for repair 3 times, 2 for the mech stopping which I suppose might be something and nothing, but the other time because the croc strap split open, which I thoug was a bit poor after 3 months uee...
    This is pretty accurate, compared to my situation, indeed.

I have been offered a brand new, straight from the AD, Grand Carrera calibre 6 on black alligator strap, and after using it for about 1 year on and off with some other watches (which means that I have had to use the screw-in crown a few times), the crown would not screw-in anymore.
    I brought it back to the AD where it had been bought, (to whom I also had to ask for the correct wooden box, which I had not gotten in the first place...and had to wait for about three months for it to be sent back, they had had to change the case, because of this issue. When I received the watch back, my croc strap was split open, and the Sapphire was marked, whereas I had only worn the watch for like three or four months total, and that I am really carefull with my watches...I refused to get my watch back and asked my AD to send it back for them to recognize that it was their fault. they didn't and just sent my watch back to me as is.

Can't say that I would go back to Tag Heuer if I had to choose another watch. Pretty pricey for a very poor quality... I have to recognize that I like some of their designs, but they certainly seem to think of their customers as just "wallets full of money". The after-sales service just seem to suck.

All too often we hear of this problem with the Tag service centre.

Buy secondhand where possible & find a decent independant repairer (as most of us have). The Heuer lads are a pretty exceptional bunch & try to do some stuff at home.
    I know i,m now getting the hang of stripping down watches to refurb cases & sort out simple issues.