closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mobile out of contract HELP!

Mobile out of contract HELP!

I have an iPhone 4 on Vodafone and my contract has run out. I have been offered 300 minutes, unlimited texts, free calls to Vodafone phones and 500mb data (all of which more than covers what I use at the moment) for £10.50 inc VAT per month for 12 months. This is slightly better than the £42 per month I've been paying for 18 months. I've been offered an iPhone 5 at £42 per month for 24 months but I can't really be bothered anymore, if I have to change all my chargers, car leads, buy an adaptor for my music players etc then I suspect I can find better phones out there.

Is the £10.50 per month worth bothering with? The phone works ok, battery is fine and it all does what I want it to. Or can I use the phone on another network, or try one of the PAYG offers or what? I really haven't a clue what the options are, do you have any good suggestions please?
    "A man of little significance"

check out one of the special rate comparison sites

they compare all kinds of user profiles and tell you the best available rates

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Its £10.50 per month. There's your answer Simon.

If it does everything you need then why change it.....Unless you want to be in with the sheep and are desperate for a 5.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Its £10.50 per month. There's your answer Simon.

If it does everything you need then why change it.....Unless you want to be in with the sheep and are desperate for a 5.
    I don't think a 5 could make me any cooler than I already am (unless they come in grandma's curtains spec) so no, not interested for now.

£42 a month!!

Drinks are on you next time i see you, money bags.

Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post
    £42 a month!!

Drinks are on you next time i see you, money bags.
    With my spare £31.50 every month I'm sure I can stretch to a lime and soda

Mobile out of contract HELP!

I got out of the ridiculous upgrade cycle a while back and have bought my last few phones outright and stuck with a low cost monthly contract. The hype and obsession by the media with every (apple) smartphone release is not warranted and you soon realise there is nothing wrong with the 'old' model. I have a 4s and nothing about the 5 appealed so I'm sticking. Should you wish to upgrade to a 5 or android later, I'm sure your phone company will be happy to accommodate but at the moment you'll pay a premium for a 5 and gain little IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by doubledee View Post
    I got out of the ridiculous upgrade cycle a while back and have bought my last few phones outright and stuck with a low cost monthly contract. The hype and obsession by the media with every (apple) smartphone release is not warranted and you soon realise there is nothing wrong with the 'old' model. I have a 4s and nothing about the 5 appealed so I'm sticking. Should you wish to upgrade to a 5 or android later, I'm sure your phone company will be happy to accommodate but at the moment you'll pay a premium for a 5 and gain little IMHO.
    I can see myself going this way. My 4 does everything I need it to, for now, so I'll stick with it and will avoid contracts. With HUGE monthly fees.

I went on that same £10.50 contract a few months ago with the intention of buying my next phone and going for cheap 12 month or rolling contracts. It's worked well for me as I moved from a 3gs to a 5, so a quantum leap in every aspect of the phone for me. Of course I looked at all options before buying, but the Apple product still does what I want better than anything else at the moment. It might have been different if Nokia had released the 920 in time. The Android software looks ok, but the build quality of the Samsungs I looked at let them down, I already have enough tupperware in the kitchen.

F.T.F.A.

Et walla, we link back to another thread! I also picked up some new Samsungs and thought they felt far too plasticy after the iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I went on that same £10.50 contract a few months ago with the intention of buying my next phone and going for cheap 12 month or rolling contracts. It's worked well for me as I moved from a 3gs to a 5, so a quantum leap in every aspect of the phone for me. Of course I looked at all options before buying, but the Apple product still does what I want better than anything else at the moment. It might have been different if Nokia had released the 920 in time. The Android software looks ok, but the build quality of the Samsungs I looked at let them down, I already have enough tupperware in the kitchen.

check out lycamobile, i am thinking of going over to them once this months contract is up, the beauty to me is the unlimited data they seem to be offering.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post

I have an iphone 4 and I saw and held a samsung S3 today and I assure you it didn't feel or look cheap it was superb, and seeing it working with that superb big screen made my iphone seem dated so don't knock them till you've tried them as they are a classy phone.

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I have an iphone 4 and I saw and held a samsung S3 today and I assure you it didn't feel or look cheap it was superb, and seeing it working with that superb big screen made my iphone seem dated so don't knock them till you've tried them as they are a classy phone.
    Sorry Andy, nothing classy about holding a ridiculously large phone to your ear......
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Sorry Andy, nothing classy about holding a ridiculously large phone to your ear......
    Well that's a matter of opinion but mine would be mainly for internet use or hands free in the car and it's not that big it really isn't, now the Galaxy note is another story!

Had a similar thing £39 per month and moved to T mob on month by month £14 all I can use.

Craftsman
    Yep, me too. I'm not happy about signing up for a 24 month contact so I asked O2 to unlock my iPhone and I'm on a monthly sim which is very reasonable. I'll probably sit out the iPhone 5 until the next iPhone release and then just buy it outright unlocked and therefore continue on a monthly sim. It appears to be by far the cheapest option.

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    Well that's a matter of opinion but mine would be mainly for internet use or hands free in the car and it's not that big it really isn't, now the Galaxy note is another story!
    Maybe I am confusing the S3 with the note?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Maybe I am confusing the S3 with the note?
    I think you might well be as the note is ludicrous in size it looks like you are holding an iPad mini to your ear :). The S3 is bigger that the iPhone but it wasn't too big at all I loved it.

The note is fantastic... I do not even notice the size when using it at a phone... great bit of kit.. though tbh I never use the pen for it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    The note is fantastic... I do not even notice the size when using it at a phone... great bit of kit.. though tbh I never use the pen for it.
    Hey Matt I saw a note in Tesco today first time I have seen one it was working with a video of some sort on it and it was big really big :) but it looked superb with that fab screen.

A quick fag packet calculation gives the answer.

£40.00 a month is £ 480 a year times that for a two year contract £ £ 960

Your £ 10.50 for two years is £ 252 buy the iPhone 5 £500 and you're still a couple of hundred quid better off.

I still have an iPhone 3GS and it does all I need, just had a new battery fitted £60.

Mind you instill look at all the new phones and wish, but then I tell the wife and she gives me a reality check!

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    A quick fag packet calculation gives the answer.

£40.00 a month is £ 480 a year times that for a two year contract £ £ 960

Your £ 10.50 for two years is £ 252 buy the iPhone 5 £500 and you're still a couple of hundred quid better off.

Better than that really, as you can sell the iPhone after a couple of years for £150 to £200, then buy another etc etc..

I did type out a much longer reply but for some reason it never posted so here's a summary. :)

If you do decide to move then you'll have to get Vodafone to unlock the iPhone if you haven't already done so, they'll do this free of charge.

Virgin are offering for £12 per month on a rolling monthly contract, 1200 minutes, unlimited texts, 1gb of data, free Virgin to Virgin calls though if you don't need the extra minutes then not worth spending the extra but they also have other packages.

I'm on that 12 month £10.50 contract with the intention of buying the Nexus 4 when its launched next week to replace my ageing HTC Desire.

The phone and contract upgrades Voda offered me just didn't seem like good value.

Thomas Reid
    One doesn't have to hold it to one's ear. I use a little Nokia BH-217 BT earphone/mic. When travelling by train recently, I went out of the "Quite Zone" carriage to the vestibule to make a call. I put in the earphone, held the phone at normal viewing distance, tapped the number, and made the call. Someone using some Apple thing was watching and, when I was done, said, "that's cool" and asked me about my phone, thinking I had a Samsung Note (I actually have a Dell Streak).

I don't even bother digging out the phone when receiving a call. I just take the little earphone out of its cradle, put it in my ear, and take the call. It has connected to the phone by the time I put it to my ear. Putting the earphone back in the cradle stops the call, disconnects the earphone, and puts the earphone on standby. Couldn't be simpler, and it doesn't require me even to touch the phone.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Last edited by rfrazier; 8th November 2012 at 13:24.